Funny question while buying ammo

PDA

RicVa
April 1, 2005, 11:44 PM
I was buying some plinking .223 ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods the other day. The guy in the "lodge" section of the store was very helpful, but told me I had to pay at the front. So, I check out with a young guy at the cash register, and he says to me, "This for target?" I said, "Yeah, why do you know anything about it?" I was asking because I never bought this particular brand of ammo before and I thought he might tell me it was good or bad. He says, "No, nothing like that, they just want us to ask what it is for." I chuckled and said, "They want you to ask that?" He responds, "Yes, actually I think it's a federal law." I politely laughed and shook my head and told him it wasn't.

I know this kid is just doing what he is told, but what do the higher-ups at Dick's really think this is accomplishing? What kind of answers do they expect from their customers?

If you enjoyed reading about "Funny question while buying ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
April 2, 2005, 12:01 AM
...what do the higher-ups at Dick's really think this is accomplishing?

They're trying to drive shooters to real gun shops. I think they're likely to succeed.

Northslope Nimrod
April 2, 2005, 12:05 AM
Lately, I have had cashier's at Wally World ask, "Is this for a handgun?", when I buy 9mm. They have asked my brother-in-law as well. If you say "yes," they ID you. But if you say "no" then you just pay and you're on your way. My brother-in-law now just tells them it is for a rifle. Weird!

ReadyontheRight
April 2, 2005, 12:15 AM
"This for target?"

"This for Drivin'?" (Cars)
"This for Swimmin'?" (Pools)
"This for Paintin'?" (Buckets)
"This for Healin'?" (Medical Doctorate Degrees)

Just a few things that kill more people than guns each year for which no one ever thinks they have any right to ask "WHY?" AND which are not protected by any Constitutional documents.

We need to start saying "None of your business."

Loudly.

R.H. Lee
April 2, 2005, 12:18 AM
An attempt at intimidation. Idiots.

DigMe
April 2, 2005, 12:28 AM
Maybe they think if the cashier asks it in a friendly, conversational tone they'll catch some terrorist offguard and they'll accidentally spill the beans.

Cashier: Nice weather out, eh?
Customer: Yup.
Cashier: So....this for target?
Customer: Nah I'm gonna shoot up a school....wha..hey!
Cashier: Got ya!
Customer: GAH!!! DAMN YOU AND YOUR CASUAL FRIENDLINESS!!

brad cook

logical
April 2, 2005, 12:50 AM
If I'm shooting at it...it's a target.

Bill2k1
April 2, 2005, 04:23 AM
yea they ask handgun at wal-mart, I don't make the effort to correct them when I buy .22 I guess no reason too since I shoot it outta both.

Number 6
April 2, 2005, 05:23 AM
While I agree this is an asinine question, they might be trying to cover themselves in case someone actually commits a crime with ammunition from their store. It won't do a bit of good in actually preventing a crime, but it allows them to tell the police that they tried to only sell to people with the intent of target practice. Its silly, but a possibility nevertheless.

Darkmind
April 2, 2005, 05:37 AM
Maybe they think if the cashier asks it in a friendly, conversational tone they'll catch some terrorist offguard and they'll accidentally spill the beans. Cashier: Nice weather out, eh? Customer: Yup. Cashier: So....this for target? Customer: Nah I'm gonna shoot up a school....wha..hey! Cashier: Got ya! Customer: GAH!!! DAMN YOU AND YOUR CASUAL FRIENDLINESS!!

Darn you, you owe me a new keyboard. LOL :what: :D

whm1974
April 2, 2005, 06:58 AM
While I agree this is an asinine question, they are might be trying to cover themselves in case someone actually commits a crime with ammunition from their store. It won't do a bit of good in actually preventing a crime, but it allows them to tell the police that they tried to only sell to people with the intent of target practice. Its silly, but a possibility nevertheless.

Like anyone planning on doing something illegal is going to tell the sales clerk.

-Bill

patentmike
April 2, 2005, 08:27 AM
Target? Why would I shop there?

Target? no, these are for my rifle. I use paper for targets.

Crosshair
April 2, 2005, 08:35 AM
I work at Wal-Mart and the only reason I ask what the ammo is for is to find what kind of gun they have. Then hopefully strike up a conversation. (When the boss isn't around of course. :D )

MountainPeak
April 2, 2005, 09:10 AM
I would have told him; "No, I rarely hit what I aim at"!! :)

WheelMan
April 2, 2005, 09:56 AM
The age question is quazi-legit. Because there are different ages for buying rifle and handgun ammo (18 and 21 repectivley) In missouri at least. How legit the age difference is is up for debate, but the question based on that seems resonable.

When I'm asked that I'm more and more tempted to say "submachine gun, how should we count that?"

Husker1911
April 2, 2005, 10:08 AM
As for the clerk's question, I betcha he's acting on his own here. It's probably some dumb computer nurd with a grudge against guns in general. I doubt the question is directed from the management.

Concerning the age handgun ammo can be sold (21), it's a federal law, and does not vary from state to state. So if we're selling .22LR, 9MM, .40, or .45acp ammo, we ask younger appearing customers what they're firing their purchased ammo in. It covers our south 40!.

MikeIsaj
April 2, 2005, 10:09 AM
I was out of town and needed ammo and ended up at Dicks. The cashier asked me if I was sure it was the right ammo. I was carrying at the time and although I would never do it, I wondered what his reaction would have been if I were to check the fit at the counter.

This is going into my file of stupid questions cashiers/clerks actually expect honest answers to. Now I can spend some time coming up with stupid answers that won't get me arrested.

Are you using this for targets?

(a) Ahh, err, YES, targets, that's what you could call them, targets!

(b) They're kinda small for targets, I'm going to shoot them at targets.

(c) Who wants to know? Who told you to ask me that? Are they watching me now? DON'T LOOK, just nod your head in the general direction.

(d) Why are you picking on me?

(e) Did you ask that kid what he was using the baseball bat for?

(f) Did you ask the camper if he was choping wood with that axe you just
sold him?

(g) Did you ask the golfer what he planned on hitting with that driver?

(h) Did you ask the archer what his arrows were for?

This is why you buy ammo from your local un shop, not Dicks. Is the dollar you save really worth it?

xv920j
April 2, 2005, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a Bill Engvall comedy routine.
These for shootin'?
Nah......Real gun guys pour milk over 'em and eat 'em for breakfast. Here's your sign.

Bear Gulch
April 2, 2005, 10:32 AM
I just don't buy ammo there. I wonder when they are going to start asking if the skeet we buy there are for target shooting?

RicVa
April 2, 2005, 10:32 AM
Yeah, there's really no reason to patronize Dick's any more after this experience. It wasn't that it was unpleasant, but I think it shows their attitude toward gun owners. And like some of you have posted, even if someone had "bad" intentions for their ammo, what do they think they would actually answer to that question? It was also weird that somehow this kid thought it was a federal law to ask.

Billll
April 2, 2005, 08:53 PM
Clerk: "Rifle or pistol?"

Me (with brick or .22): Machine gun.

Clerk: OK, as long as it's not for pistol, we don't have to ID.

Me: Thank you.

Bear Gulch
April 2, 2005, 08:57 PM
"It is for storage in my secret, survivalist compound, and moutain bunker. Where those evil agents of the Gubmint ain't gonna come no more!" But here in Idaho that answer wouldn't be unusual.

Zackmeister
April 2, 2005, 09:03 PM
DigMe's post is the funniest thing I've read in a while. :D

Nathaniel Firethorn
April 2, 2005, 09:30 PM
Bear Gulch, is it really that extreme out there? :confused: Was just looking at vacation spots in Coeur d'Alene and it seemed like a Yuppie paradise.

BTW, remembering Ye Olde Topyk: It could have been a tax-related question too. Some places charge taxes on ammo other than "target." Hence, everyone is shooting bullseye with JHP. :neener:

- pdmoderator

Bear Gulch
April 2, 2005, 09:40 PM
Not at all, but lots of folks think that it is. The Aryan Nation used to be near CDA. But they have pretty much been run off. I have not beef with tru COnstitutionalists and Milita, but the racists I have little use for. But if images of skinhead land keep the folks from moving here in droves, I guess I am ina a quandry! :neener:

I live way down in SE Idaho by Jellystone. My area is largely settled by Latter-Day Saints (Mormons). They are good folks and it is the best of small town America. I am 2 miles from the Henry's fork of the Snake where Ph.D. level flyfishing abounds. Elk, bear, moose and yes wolves abound. It really is a great place.

Nathaniel Firethorn
April 2, 2005, 09:54 PM
Cool. We've contacted the owners of one especially good looking B&B near CdA. If they contact us back, we'll prolly be there in the fall.

- pdmoderator

jobu07
April 2, 2005, 10:01 PM
Cashier: Nice weather out, eh?
Customer: Yup.
Cashier: So....this for target?
Customer: Nah I'm gonna shoot up a school....wha..hey!
Cashier: Got ya!
Customer: GAH!!! DAMN YOU AND YOUR CASUAL FRIENDLINESS!!

Funniest thing i've read all day! +1 for the keyboard... :D

PowderBurn
April 2, 2005, 10:07 PM
I just bought a few hundred rounds at Wal-Mart this afternoon, and they asked The Question. The clerks appear to be prompted to ask this by the cash register. And it wasn't an age thing - I'm in decent shape for 45, but would never pass for 20. The clerk then hit a key on the register after I responded. I'm not a black helicopter guy, but I didn't like the idea that the results might be being tabulated. Nothing good could come of that...

Bear Gulch
April 2, 2005, 10:46 PM
Years ago there was a federal log for pistol ammo. In these days of less regulation, Wally is making us do it anyhow.

craig
April 2, 2005, 11:33 PM
i tried the machine gun answer at wally world one time. the cashier had to call a manager because machine gun wasn't on the register display.

wolf_from_wv
April 3, 2005, 12:01 AM
When I was buying 9mm at Walmart, I would vary my answer. Sometimes it would be for my rifle, and sometimes for my pistol. I haven't bought any there for some time... I've been reloading for the rifle and pistol.

I wonder, if you bought two boxes of 9mm, and said one was for a pistol and one for a rifle, how much confusion that would cause...

ReadyontheRight
April 3, 2005, 12:20 AM
The Aryan Nation used to be near CDA. But they have pretty much been run off. I have not beef with tru COnstitutionalists and Milita, but the racists I have little use for.

Funny how America works that way, huh? Those of us who like the Constitution as it stands tend to run off racists, meanwhile being called racist. :rolleyes:

DigMe
April 3, 2005, 12:28 AM
Glad I'm good for a laugh or two with some of you. :p

Send me a bill for the keyboards.

I won't pay it but I could use the scratch paper. I need to print out some resumes too so if anyone wants to send their bills on 25% linen paper that'd be charming.

brad cook

entropy
April 3, 2005, 06:26 AM
where Ph.D. level flyfishing abounds. :confused:

I wasn't aware of any educational requirements for fly fishing; and to think I've done it all these years on a 2-year degree! :p (could explain why all I ever catch is suckers... :rolleyes: )

I used to answer 'rifle' all the time when I was between 18 and 21, more than a few years ago. Many pistol calibers are chambered in rifles, and vice versa.

'-So you're trying to tell me you're buying this .25ACP ammo for a rifle?'

'Why, yessir, the new Jennings/Bryco rifle.' :neener:

AK-74me
April 3, 2005, 07:07 AM
You'll go to the grocery store to buy a bag of potatos and be asked "for baking or potato gunning?"

This thread just made me think back about 10 yrs ago when my buddies and I built a bunch of different style potato guns.

We would have like 10 cans of Aquanet hairspray, a few 10 lb. bags of potatos, a couple grill ignition switchs and a couple cases of Bush Beer.The cashiers would always shake their heads as we strolled up with a bunch of Sh** eating grins on our faces.

peacefuljeffrey
April 3, 2005, 08:19 AM
Yeah, there's really no reason to patronize Dick's any more after this experience. It wasn't that it was unpleasant, but I think it shows their attitude toward gun owners. And like some of you have posted, even if someone had "bad" intentions for their ammo, what do they think they would actually answer to that question? It was also weird that somehow this kid thought it was a federal law to ask.

What, like people aren't being lied to on a daily basis with regard to what is or is not law?

People are being told that the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act would make it impossible to sue the maker of a truly defective gun, so they should oppose its passage. This is a deliberately spread lie. So why would it be surprising if people are deliberately spreading the lie that salespeople have to ask what your ammo is to be used for, by federal law? Antis are using disinformation at every turn because the truth hurts their cause grievously.

Now, wrt this question the cashier asks about our ammo... I wonder what they would do if you stood there for a moment, and then said, "You know, I haven't quite decided yet..."

Would they refuse to complete the sale until you apprised them of a decision regarding the use for your ammo?? :confused:

Let's ask the walmart dude, next time he asks, if there's an "undecided" button on the register. :p

I really wonder what the reaction of the store would be if we simply said, "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I feel it is intrusive on the part of your organization to ask it." Would they refuse the sale? Would they think it was something that the police had to be involved in?! :eek: Who can really predict the level of irrationality to expect from these people these days. I mean, we know we can expect irrationality, but how much?

-Jeffrey

GRB
April 3, 2005, 12:35 PM
This does not only happen at chains like Walmart or Dicks. I know of a local gun store where they ask to see your permit or creds if you buy what they consider to be bad guy pistol ammo. I can buy all the 9mm I want but Heaven forbid if I want to by .32 auto. Then I either have to produce a pistol permit or LEO creds. The thing is I can be buying ammo just to collect it. There is no law requiring this guy to ask me for such as far as I am aware (if there is then every other gun store where I purchase .32 auto is in violation). So why does this guy do it. I do not know - but I have my suspicions. Then again, when I compare his ammo prices even to that of other small gun stores in my area, I realize my suspicions have been confirmed - he is, in my opinion, a horse other end. I just do not buy there anymore. As for not buyng at places like Walmart or Dicks, not a good idea.

The more places like that where you do not buy, the more place like that will discontinue selling. Sure small gun stores are good too but, we need all the allies out there we can get. Rather than do a boycott right now, fire off some letetrs to Wally World and Dicks complaining about their practices. Threaten to stop shopping there unless they stoip this foolishness. Keep it up, keep writing and sending em in. if enough people do it from across the country, they will change how they do things. Make noise just like the libs but, do it in support of our issues.

best regards,
Glenn B

gm
April 3, 2005, 12:36 PM
cashier."Is this for a handgun or a rifle?"
customer.."neither..the vet told us our dog needed iron cause its anemic or
somethin...lazy mutt" :what:

junke
April 3, 2005, 12:45 PM
i was asked "is this for a hand gun or rifle" when buying 300 win mag?? being cought off guard and kind of confused by the the question i just answered rifle. next time i'll say. hand gun, its for my ruger GP100,000

I got an online degree for my fly fishing, i have a nice little creek on my property

hey beargulch i forgot to give you a heads-up on a gun show that was in spokane this weekend but there is also one next week-end in Coeur d alene
(Boy ive lived up here my whole life and i still have to look at that to make sure i spelled it right. CDA) maybe you can give me a hand building my bunker

Rotorflyr
April 3, 2005, 12:57 PM
I don't care a lot for Wally world either and have never bought any ammo there, however given that they are in business to sell goods (and make money doing so) If asking if it is for a pistol is something recently started, it could be to check #'s of sales of pistol ammo, to help them decide if it is worth it to them to sell pistols as they already sell rifles/shotguns.
If this isn't the case, who cares, if your paranoid about them asking, pay cash for the ammo so they have no record of who you are.

Tom Servo
April 3, 2005, 01:30 PM
I've been to Dick's since they bought out Galyan's only once, and I won't be going back. As we all know, handguns are no longer being sold, but accessories are also now almost non-existent (something Galyan's was good for). I went in looking for some 115gr Gold Dots, which they didn't have, and when I went looking for some Hoppe's, the didn't have that either. No more holsters, range bags, and only two types of targets. The "gun" section is now half an aisle sandwiched between three aisles of airsoft paraphenalia. They seem to have made their preferences clear.

OTOH, I was at a local Wal-Mart about six months ago, and while buying ammo, the cashier asked to see my ID. Since turning 30, I've got no problem with that :) What I did have a problem with was the fact that he took it and started typing numbers into the register. I grabbed it back and asked him what he was doing, to which he replied, "well, we have to keep this information on file." ??? Looks like I made a mistake saying it was for a handgun!

Oddly enough, I've talked to folks who work at other locations, and this isn't a company-wide policy. Still, that puts me in tinfoil-hat mode.

Side note: they're trying to open a location in Avondale Estates, which is one of the most scummy, run-down, crime-ridden "communities" in Atlanta. The local populace has been shrieking and trying to keep them out. Part of the agreement that they signed to get the spot was that they not sell handgun ammo. Go figure.

Good thing the local hardware store sells it in bulk.

MoeMentum
April 3, 2005, 05:33 PM
Whats the big deal ? These people don't know, and they are just doing what they are told to do, when they ring up the ammo, they have to enter a YES or NO to the age question. Its the Feds that are telling them to do this. Its just like when they ask you for your phone number, or zip code. Just tell them anything, its a non issue !

DSRUPTV
April 3, 2005, 05:39 PM
I posted a story about buying ammo at Dick's in another thread a bit ago. I had a gift certificate and asked the clerk if they had 45-70 ammo. He said sure and grabbed five boxes of ammo for me to look at. Three were 45 acp and two were 45 long colt. It was funny, but I haven't gone back yet.

Sawdust
April 4, 2005, 11:41 AM
MoeMentum:

Its the Feds that are telling them to do this. Its just like when they ask you for your phone number, or zip code.

Please provide a link to this Federal requirement.

Thanks,

Sawdust

raz-0
April 4, 2005, 03:28 PM
I bought some .223 at dick's the other day. I'm in NJ, so we ahve a few extra laws to deal with, but I got no questions from them. Which means either they aren't bothering to enforce the law, or they have a clue avbout what I am buying.

The lady at the checkout counter insisted on knotting up my bag like 8 times, which she didn't do for anyone else. No idea what she might have been thinking.

regardless of it being stupid or not, the local chain stores do an okay job of following the law without much additional hassle.

Bart Noir
April 4, 2005, 03:58 PM
"Is this for a pistol?"

Me: "Nope. For Shotgun."

"But, huh, does this work in a shotgun?"

Me: "You should see the size of my groups!"

Bart Noir

SLCDave
April 4, 2005, 04:23 PM
Its the Feds that are telling them to do this. Its just like when they ask you for your phone number, or zip code.

Phone number, zip code, etc are generally taken for marketing purposes, and the feds don't care who they market to.

Werewolf
April 4, 2005, 04:47 PM
If asking if it is for a pistol is something recently started, it could be to check #'s of sales of pistol ammo, to help them decide if it is worth it to them to sell pistols as they already sell rifles/shotguns. Maybe...

But not at Walmart in OKC. There's 4 of 'em where I occasionally buy ammo and the pistol ammo takes up at least 80% of the storage area behind the counter where they keep the ammo.

Funny that the pistol and rifle ammo is locked up behind the counter when the shotgun shells are sitting out in the open.

Even funnier is the black powder rifles sitting right out there on a shelf for anyone to pick up and load - oh say a 350 gr 50 cal bullet and pyrodex sitting right underneath.

Sometimes I wonder about folks who run wally worlds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Funny question while buying ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!