Can you identify?

PDA

eagle45
April 2, 2005, 03:08 PM
Going through some of my late father in laws belongings, I came across this little derringer. Does anyone recognize it? It is slightly smaller than 22 caliber. To load it, you cock the hammer, swing a small hinged plate to the left, then pull back on a plate that unloads the spent cartridge. One of the pics shows the markings on the left side.

Nothing else to do on a rainy day anyway. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you identify?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
April 2, 2005, 03:12 PM
That's either really rare and collectable, or a Pakistani clone of a really rare and collectable pistol....I have never seen anything like that!

eagle45
April 2, 2005, 03:18 PM
My late father in law spent some time in Europe during WWII, maybe this is a souvenir he brought back.

oneshooter
April 2, 2005, 03:28 PM
It may be a gallery and or parlor gun. During the late 1800 it was very populer to go to indoor shooting galleries. There were also homes that had portable freestanding target holders with a built in bullet trap. :what: These pistols
used a very low powered cartridges,the 22CB being the most populer. Folbert pistols,built in England, were the most populer of these type pistol.

Oneshooter
Livin in Texas
Working in Mississippi :evil:

Old Fuff
April 2, 2005, 03:34 PM
Tis' a 19th century European Parlor Pistol. Most likely made in France or Belgium and chambered to use pinfire or rimfire cartridges in which the bullet was propelled by a priming charge but no gunpowder. Sometimes referred to as a “Monte Cristo” pistol. Some were made as late as the 1920’s. On Sunday afternoon they’d target shoot into a bullet trap set up in a hallway or living room. This is still popular in Europe but now they use air pistols.

The collector’s value is modest, but you might find some interest.

eagle45
April 2, 2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'd never even heard of a parlor gun before. Seems very politically incorrect!

Jim K
April 2, 2005, 11:49 PM
I think Belgium or France can be ruled out. DRGM is the abbreviation for Deutsches Reichs Gebrauchsmuster, or German National Registered Design, a level of protection like a patent but without proving the uniqueness needed for a patent. JGA is probably the maker, but I have no idea who it was.

The gun is clearly an indoor or parlor pistol, and may be 4mm. 4mm was a common caliber for indoor shooting, and cartridges were made in both centerfire and rimfire, plus some cartridges that would work either way, having both internal center fire priming as well as rim priming.

Jim

logical
April 3, 2005, 12:07 AM
If you polished it up to get it shiney like that you destroyed any value it had......but it was probably only about $100 anyhow....I suspect it's not something you are looking to sell anyhow.

eagle45
April 3, 2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks again for the update.

Jim - My wife was thinking it was of German origin because of her father's travels during the war. He had some other German items at one time, but no one knows the location of them now.

Logical - We aren't really interested in selling it, but it is always nice to know the true value of a firearm. I didn't do any polishing to it. It looks just like we found it.

Thanks again.

rust collector
April 3, 2005, 11:49 AM
Parlor pistols are new to me, but I have an old Sportmodell .22 trainer that is marked with the JGA brand that I believe was used by Anschutz in the 30s. Of course it could be a knockoff, but I don't think they had achieved sufficient notoriety at that time.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can you identify?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!