New Gun Owner In Pa = Q?

PDA

RUBZERK
April 2, 2005, 05:07 PM
Is it against the law to transport a handgun (unloaded & locked) & ammo from my house to the shooting range without having a CCW Permit ??

I picked up my handgun today & dont plan on shootong till I get my permit.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gun Owner In Pa = Q?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve in PA
April 2, 2005, 05:31 PM
You do not need a permit to take your handgun (or any firearm) to or from the range provided it is unloaded and the cartridges are carried in a seperate container. No requirement to be "locked".

geekWithA.45
April 2, 2005, 06:28 PM
Go ahead, read, learn and shoot while your permit's being cooked. Look up a local NRA course, if you're a complete newbie.

The LTCF allows you to dispense with a lot of BS, but even with the BS, it's pretty easy going.

If you're in the PHL area, I train newbies for free.

RUBZERK
April 2, 2005, 08:31 PM
How do I find a NRA course in my area ???

What does LTCF mean ??

Am I required to take a gun safty course before I go for my CCW ?? If so, where do I go ??

Pappy John
April 2, 2005, 08:58 PM
License to carry firearms...same as CCW permit.

It's not a neccessity to have training in order to get your carry permit, but it's a great idea.

Edited to add: That's what happens when I get sidetracked halfway through typing a message. Furious beat me to the punch. ;)

RUBZERK
April 2, 2005, 09:20 PM
Where can i go to take a training course ???

45Badger
April 2, 2005, 09:29 PM
We're conducting NRA Basic Handgun April 22-23 ( I think) in Delta. Club is 10 minutes from the RT 372 bridge. Probably 30-40 minutes from you, depending where you are in/around Lancaster. PM me for details.

And welcome! :)

Brian Williams
April 2, 2005, 10:37 PM
A good shooting range is Millcreek sportsman's club, 3 stands @ 30 yds for handgun, 4 stands @ 100 for rifle. and it is cheap, $35 per year and $10 startup fee along with 6 hrs of club service.

MikeIsaj
April 3, 2005, 01:20 AM
Here's a fun way to spend an afternoon. Go to the local library and ask the reference desk for the Pa. Uniform Crimes Code. Read SS6106, 6108, 6109. That is the law on defining firearms, limiting carrying and licensing. Take some Tylenol with you.

If you are going to carry a concealed weapon you should also carefully read section 505, 506, 507. They cover justifications for use of force that you should understand. Almost everyone is suprised by something in there. It is difficult reading but should be understood by all who carry for self defense.

SJG26
April 3, 2005, 09:34 AM
http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/Index.html

RevDisk
April 3, 2005, 05:21 PM
Is it against the law to transport a handgun (unloaded & locked) & ammo from my house to the shooting range without having a CCW Permit ??

It's legal.

By the way, Milton Grove Sportsmen’s Club has a very nice range. It's close to Elizabethtown. Always empty except around deer season.

I live in the Lancaster area myself, give me a PM if you ever want to shoot.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Gun Owner In Pa = Q?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!