S&W 617 question...

PDA

Steelharp
April 2, 2005, 10:35 PM
Well, I just got a model 617, a -8 model; no infernal lock. Looks to be unfired. Is dry firing a no-no with a .22 revolver?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 617 question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
April 2, 2005, 10:56 PM
Is dry firing a no-no with a .22 revolver?

Since the firing pin is now mounted in the frame, it's probably all right. That saidâ„¢, dummy rounds are cheap insurance.

Steelharp
April 2, 2005, 11:01 PM
That's what I was thinkin'... never have seen any .22 snap caps, though. Guess I just need to open my eyes, eh?

burrhead
April 2, 2005, 11:18 PM
Is dry firing a no-no with a .22 revolver?

I wouldn't. I think all S&W .22 revolvers have frame mounted firing pins. Could be wrong about that. My M43 made in '62 does. Use spent cases for "snap caps".

Steelharp
April 2, 2005, 11:30 PM
Use spent cases for "snap caps"

Man... what a great idea. I am SOOOOOOOO stoopid...

Standing Wolf
April 3, 2005, 09:30 PM
Use spent cases for "snap caps"

Two problems: you'll knock dirt out of the empty case into the chamber and bore, and you've got to rotate the cartridge cases from time to time, since striking cases in the exact same spots again and again thins the brass and diminishes the absorption of the case.

Plastic cartride cases don't last very long at all.

GEM
April 4, 2005, 12:00 PM
Most gun stores or gun shows have 22 snap caps. I bought a set for my 22 revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 617 question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!