Marlin 336 Tweaking

PDA

George Hill
April 3, 2005, 12:33 PM
Yesterday I stopped by my gunsmith, who has been working on my 336.
It should be done in a couple days now. The anticipation is growing.
He has had it for a long time now, but I guess that's my fault.
Everytime I drop by, I have had a nasty habbit of adding another thing to his to do list and thus pushing the completion time back.

Among the things he is doing is putting in a solid stainless one piece firing pin. I've read that this will improve a few things in the action and the trigger.
Anyone have any first hand experience with this modification?

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 336 Tweaking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jaywalker
April 3, 2005, 05:46 PM
Nope, but I'd be interested in learning what it would improve. As I mentioned just before you bought your 336, mine seems to be be pretty complete out of the box. Except for the recoil pad (added to reduce the ridiculously long 14-inch pull), everything else is stock, including the three-pound, no creep trigger. It wouldn't be my first choice for "one rifle," but it is my choice "only other rifle," if I had to get rid of all but two of them. Nice wood, checkering, wood to metal fit, stock sights that are "good enough for backup duty," and ammuntion sold in every filling station that's allowed to sell it. It's a nice package.

What are your mod requirements?

Jaywalker

George Hill
April 3, 2005, 07:21 PM
"What are your mod requirements?"

Really I just want a light, fast handling intermediate range rifle in a caliber capable of dropping a threat or a Deer. With a leather butt-cuff shell holder, decent sling, and the barrel chopped down to 16 inches, the 336 fits the bill perfectly. This is my Truck Gun, so it's got to be ready at a moments notice and fast to get into and out of the truck. An SKS would do well, but out here in Utah a Lever Action fits the bill perfectly. I've always liked Marlins. I wanted a 336 in .44 Magnum like I had used in ages past, but I couldn't find one. .30-30 still works just fine after all these years.

SamlautRanger
April 3, 2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah, Marlin 30-30s !!!!! Great reading about your project 30-30 on your webpage. Liked your wood stain and refinish job. There is something about the Marlin 30-30s and 45-70s that say it all. A good Marlin, with a few hundred dollars put into it can't be beat.

Getting ready to send my 30-30 out also to have some work on it done. Will add the leather butt cuff and sling. Ghost ring sights added. Get the trigger adn action smoothed. Some dehorning. And maybe get a teflon finish, and add a scout mount rail.

Jaywalker
April 3, 2005, 09:25 PM
I'd always considered one of those breakdown mods - quarter-twist and the barrel and action separate.

Jaywalker

George Hill
April 3, 2005, 11:35 PM
One really doesn't need ghost ring sights or anything that fancy... a couple hours on a decent firing range with a couple boxes of ammo and anyone will have learned how to use buckhorn style sights with no problem. I'm thinking about the Ashley Outdoors rear peep, but only because after chopping the barrel down I've lost some sight radius and the peeps will move the rear sight back so much I'll actually have a longer sight radius than before.

Now, I have heard that the Marlins can become much more accurate after a cut down. Which is pretty amazing since they are so accurate to start out with. I had an 11 degree target crown done. That should do the trick. I'm curious as to see how she prints.
The green stain finish was always a pretty temporary thing, at least that is what I had always thought. I'm still looking for some decent synth stocks. Either black or camo patterned, but I can't find a good source for them. I'd like the Mossy Oak pattern if I could find it. I know Marlin used to put out one of their guns with those stocks, but I can't find those. If I do get the cammo stocks, I'll get the barrel and action refinished in Black T or Roguard or something. Something black and shiny... tough and slick. If I can't and get black stocks, I'll get her done in NP3 or Metalcol III or something with an Olive Drab tint to it.
If I was to put my gun in a rack with other ones, I want to know exactly which one is mine when I go to grab it back out. Know what I mean?

Another mod I've been thinking about doing, and doing of course before I get the refinish work done... widen the mouth of the feeding port. Not really widening it, but beveling the outside edges of it. When I feed in a shell I have to push it in with my thumb, and then with a finger to get it past the gate because my thumb is too big. A little beveling should let me load the cartrige in all the way with my thumb with one smooth motion. I don't know if that's the wrong way to do it or not, but that's the way i've always done it... kinda like a shotgun.

I guess that's pretty much it... No vertical foregrips, no bi-pods, no bayonet lugs. Still thinking about a white light though... if they would make one that was sleak enough to not ruin the looks of the gun or change the handling. Some of these so called tactical lights look like they are hanging Off-Road lights from Harbor Freight. If my eyes get worse, I might be forced to doing a forward mounted scope thing. Should it come to that... I'm not sure which scope would be my choice. But it would have to be very low mounted and as unobtrusive as possible.

DSRUPTV
April 4, 2005, 01:51 AM
SamlautRanger, Where are you getting your leather butt cuff. I have been looking for one for quite a while with no luck.

41 Redhawk
April 4, 2005, 10:06 AM
SamlautRanger, Where are you getting your leather butt cuff. I have been looking for one for quite a while with no luck.
You fall into some money! :neener:

Soap
April 4, 2005, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure Milt Sparks will make you a tip top cuff.

I prefer the ghost rings to the buckhorn simply because I tend to aquire them slightly faster. I like to train in different positions with all of my guns by bringing them to bear with my eyes closed, opening my eyes, and seeing that the sights are aligned. Because of this training, I've been able to adapt pretty well to nearly any sight from full buckhorn to Leupold Tactical. But for some reason, I still make shots on targets faster with the LPA sights on my Nova than I do with the buckhorns on my Marlin. They're still very effective though.

9mmMike
April 4, 2005, 01:06 PM
I'd always considered one of those breakdown mods - quarter-twist and the barrel and action separate.

Oh man. My favorite mod! Someday I will have this done......

I only have one 336, a '56 with an English stock and William's sites. I always worry about seriously mod'ing such an old gun.

Mike

JNewell
April 4, 2005, 02:06 PM
Have you looked at the WWG "bear proof" ejector? This is supposed to be a potential weak link in the 336/1895 rifles, though I recall only a few complaints about that, and those from CAS types (many of whom fire more rounds a month than most shooters fire a year).

I always worry about seriously mod'ing such an old gun.

Not meaning any disrespect at all for you or the rifle (I have a 1951 or 52 that I'm somewhat attached to), but these are very common and very inexpensive rifles -- I don't think I'd sweat it.

Dr.Rob
April 4, 2005, 05:28 PM
I was just going to suggest a WWG ejector... even my brother's old 336 has had extractor problems over time.

I do think it's possible to slick up the action of the loading gate so you don't booger up the noses of teh bullets as you load them.

Aside from that, perhaps some brass beads in the stock for decoration?

A bit of leather wrapped around the lever? Perhaps a bit of horse hair from an opponent's pony and a raven's feather hung from the front sling swivel?

Call me a traditionalist.

TallPine
April 4, 2005, 05:35 PM
The best modification that I can think of for a 336 is to buy it a mate to keep it company :D

You know, one for the house and one for the pickup.

Maybe another one for a spare ...

Mannlicher
April 4, 2005, 07:15 PM
I bought a new 336Y last fall. This is the so called 'Youth' model, with the 16 inch barrel. I had to make a walnut spacer to lengthen the 12 inch LOP, but with an old Weaver K2.5, it holds 1 1/2 inch groups all day with factory Remingtons, or with my handloads.
That short barrel makes for a good truck gun, and its darn handy in heavy cover.

Maddock
April 4, 2005, 10:22 PM
I'm still looking for some decent synth stocks. Either black or camo patterned, but I can't find a good source for them.
MidwayUSA has the Ram-Line Syntech Stock (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423876) and show black in stock.

Jax
April 5, 2005, 02:33 AM
George:

Sticking with the topic, sorry, no. No experience with the one piece SS FP.

The synthetic black stock I have on my highly customized Marlin was made by MPI (http://www.mpistocks.com/). Not cheap(!), but very nice.

O/T, if you despise the crossbolt safety as much as I do, you can find out how you can get rid of it HERE (http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm). (That's if you're not already getting it done... What *are* you getting done?)

DSRUPTV:

Check with any of the CAS/SASS vendors. If they don't make 'em or sell 'em, they'll certainly know where you can go to find 'em...

This'd be an OK start: Mernickle Holsters (http://www.mernickleholsters.com/)

Jax

DSRUPTV
April 5, 2005, 02:50 AM
41 Redhawk wrote: You fall into some money!

Nope just curious. Boy scout motto, always be prepared.

edited to add:
Jax thanks for the links.

George Hill
April 5, 2005, 01:40 PM
Never had even a hint of a problem with Marlin's ejector or extractor.
Maybe if I did, I'd look at the WWG unit.

Bear Gulch
April 5, 2005, 02:11 PM
What would be the advantage ot the ghost ring over say the old Lyman peep sight? If acquisiton speed is wanted just take the disk out. I started hunting (at age 11) with a Marlin set up like that and it was a fine deer rifle.

mainmech48
April 5, 2005, 02:15 PM
Samlaut: If you're planning to use your 336 in the Kampuchean bush, you might want to re-think the leather accessories. Cordura nylon may not have the panache, but it'll resist attack from damp rot and fungus incomparably better.

One of the most constant and frustrating problems encountered in fourteen months' tour of the Mekong Delta region was trying to keep your boots and web gear from being eaten alive and falling apart. Fuzz would start growing on it almost as you watched.

While I know that your particular situation may be only roughly comparable, I can't believe that a few klicks of distance make for a jungle that much different.

Just a thought.

George Hill
April 5, 2005, 07:01 PM
In Utah, it's not the heat, but the humanity.

Humidity isn't an issue either. Leather will do fine.

Just got the gun back. The thing is buttery smooth, much lighter, shorter, and faster through the curves. LOVE IT!
Leather is going to be ordered tonight.
After looking at it all... I think I might just order that black synth from Ram Line.
That would do very well I think... Will give it a good look, and I think I'll keep it all black. On another forum a member has an similar set up on his Win94 and he calls it his CAR-94. "Cowboy Assault Rifle". I like that.
:evil:

Mossyrock
April 5, 2005, 07:38 PM
George,

From whom are you ordering your butt cuff? (Wow...doesn't THAT sound wrong !)

SamlautRanger
April 5, 2005, 07:54 PM
Lever actions not for cambodia, for North America. IN the near future will probably spend about half my time working in Southeast Asia and the Middle East and the other half shooting and hunting in North America. Here in Cambodia I have rusty old AKs and a M3 (read some of my previous post if interested). You are correct though, leather does not last long out here in the"bush" especially during Monsoon season. The other 6 months of the year is actually pretty dry.

Jaywalker
April 5, 2005, 08:17 PM
GH: In Utah, it's not the heat, but the humanity.Hmm. IIRC, the Salt Lake Valley rises a bit and the mountains sink a little as the whole Utah populace escapes the lowlands for hunting season... When it sinks, doesn't that raise the humidity?

Jaywalker

George Hill
April 6, 2005, 12:15 AM
Only when the Jazz are winning.

I'm actually having it made by a guy that does leather for things like armor and skimpy outfits for strippers.
Puts a whole new spin on just what a Butt-Cuff is.
:evil:
Here's his website:
http://ggthoughts.blogspot.com/

Once I get the, ahem, Cuff-Cartridge-Holder-Thing... I'll take photos and post pictures.

sendtoscott
April 24, 2005, 06:05 PM
MidwayUSA has the Ram-Line Syntech Stock and show black in stock

Midway's link has been down for the past couple of days.

Does anyone have any personal experience w/ these stocks? I've seen refs online, but have no idea if they're worth anything.

JohnKSa
April 24, 2005, 07:13 PM
Not that stock in particular. I purchased one of their stocks awhile back for a Swedish Mauser and it's virtually worthless. I could probably make it work but I don't want to put that much time into a piece of garbage. I keep it to remind me never to buy another RamLine product. BTW, it's the only RamLine product I've ever purchased that I didn't throw away.

mpthole
December 17, 2005, 04:53 PM
George: did you ever get pictures of your 336 posted? I'd love to see it, I'm sure its a beaut! :)

Atticus
December 17, 2005, 05:27 PM
George: did you ever get pictures of your 336 posted? I'd love to see it, I'm sure its a beaut!

If you liked the the late 60's MOPAR lime green colors...you'll love it. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Marlin 336 Tweaking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!