Shooting and Hunting in China?

PDA

NeverAgain26
April 3, 2005, 05:43 PM
I am in Shanghai, P.R.C. for a week attending to some business. I have been giving some thought to moving out here for a few years to take advantage of the business opportunities out here. I am no stranger to the Far East having lived here for 18 years and traveling here extensively for the last 12 years.

I am looking into the laws on gun ownership here as if I do come out, I want to be able to keep my guns and keep shooting target practice and possibly hunting. I have web-searched this topic and found the official laws on the subject and they appear to be restrictive. Most of the stuff I found was on air-rifles. I have also web-searched Shooting Clubs in the Shanghai area and have found some things to look into.

Some friends I have here have told me about shooting and hunting clubs and I have to believe that while minimal, there is definitely some shooting activity going on here and it only needs to be found. I know there are hunts in China as I read all the hunting rags, but I am not talking about sheep hunts in the mountains that only millionaires can afford.

I was wondering whether anyone has ever had any experience in these matters, or had friends here who might be able to point me in the right direction.

As an aside, as bad as it is in New Jersey, the PRNJ is heaven compared to the P.R.C. as far as guns are concerned.

Saul Levy

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting and Hunting in China?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DigMe
April 3, 2005, 06:10 PM
When I lived in northern China I was under the impression that it was a big no-no. I never met or talked to any civilians who had guns or who claimed to have any experience with guns. I'd contact someone at one of those gun clubs you came across.

brad cook

NeverAgain26
April 3, 2005, 07:01 PM
A lot of people in the U.S.A. also are not overly familiar with regs in the States and have a general perception of there being a lot of no-no's as well (too many for any of our likings). Just because it's generally believed it's impossible, does not make it actually impossible.

I get the same feeling in conversations with some people here in China, but I know there's got to be a way. Contacting the clubs will be the way to go in the beginning but I am also going to see who I can meet of any influence in the Security Services and what I can gain from that. It should be interesting.

Saul Levy

SamlautRanger
April 3, 2005, 07:19 PM
I myself have been to China many times, and my brother-who is also a big hunting and shooter- lives and works in China. It is impossible for a non-chinese citizen to own a firearm. A few of the very rich, powerful and well connected may be allowed to own, but will cost extreme amounts. Yes, there are some private shooting clubs, but again they are very very expensive. The clubs organize travel aboroad for shooting competitions. THe guns have to be kept locked up at the club. Again, very, very expensive. In Hong Kong, for example, it cost around $30,000 to join one of these clubs and an additional $5000 per year membership. As for hunting trips, there are some archery clubs (bows are legal and archery is big-there is a nice archery range at the community center of the housing development my brother lives in) (Guangzhou). Some of the archery clubs occassionally organize bowhunts. Australia is the big destination. Trips cost around $5000 or more to hunt pig, buffalo, and deer. So for the most part, unless you are a chinese millionaire with serious connections to the military, you can forget about owning a firearm in China.

El Tejon
April 3, 2005, 07:52 PM
If you are just looking to shoot, can't you go to a PLA "rental range" that caters to Western tourists can burn a few mags from a Type 56 or their version of the PKM (even let you shoot RPGs)?

NeverAgain26
April 4, 2005, 05:34 AM
SamlautRanger: Your description of the scene is what I thought but I know China well enough to know that there are ways to get things done here, depending on who you know. I guess I will find out more when I actually start trying.

El Tejon: I know of those ranges. At US$4.00 for 5 bullets, it's a pretty expensive proposition.

Once it looks more like I will be based out of here, I will invest the time to look into this in a serious way.

Saul Levy

The_Antibubba
April 4, 2005, 05:54 AM
Don't know about other game, but I think they have an unlimited season on dissidents.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting and Hunting in China?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!