Decisions, decisions... What to buy...

PDA

Hellbore
April 3, 2005, 09:17 PM
I have been selling some of my stuff on Ebay to come up with the money to buy a new gun. I have set aside about $550 of money now, but I have 2 options for the money. I'm not sure which I would rather take. Both options will cost me about the same amount of money.

Option #1. Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum 5.5" barrel. I have been lusting after this revolver ever since I saw it. It seems great for defense against black bears, as we do some camping in black bear country. I am not sure, however, how practical it is for "just for fun" shooting outings.

Option #2. Buy a Savage 110 30-06 hunting rifle for $350 and an imitation Beretta 9mm for $160. After FFL fees it comes to around the same price as just buying the Redhawk. With this combination, I'm set for the deer and elk hunting season, and I have an extra 9mm to plink with. Currently my only powerful handgun is a .40 S&W so when I go shooting with friends and family, I don't have a loaner pistol other than my .22LR Ruger Single Six. It might be nice to have a 9mm to loan or use when I want to plink around and use cheaper ammo. However, I am not sure if I will ever really go deer hunting. It's one of those things I may or may not want to do.

What do you guys think is the best choice? The bigass revolver or the cheap hunting rifle + cheap 9mm pistol?

It seems like my heart of hearts wants the Redhawk, I already have my .40 autochucker which I LOVE to shoot and I don't really yearn for a hunting rifle very often... But my logical mind thinks it is a very impractical purchase and I should be buying the hunting rifle and the 9mm because they would get more use, and I can shoot 9mm for cheaper, and I'll have an extra gun for plinking, etc... I feel like it's an issue of practicality vs. what I just WANT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Decisions, decisions... What to buy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "Decisions, decisions... What to buy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!