OT: How to meet girls who like guns?

PDA

Hellbore
April 5, 2005, 12:55 AM
I am a 26 year old single male. I was talking to my Dad today (who shares my love of guns) and my Mom overheard that I was buying a Ruger Redhawk.

Now, my mother is a liberal Democrat who hates guns. She says "oh great, buying more guns, just what you need, more things to keep the girls away". She is frustrated that I'm still single.

Nevermind the illogic of her complaint... The point is, I am worried. Is she right about girls universally disliking guns?

I have to confess, almost all the girls I know or have ever met disliked guns. They either feared them or were outright anti-gun.

Throughout their marriage, my mother and father have always been divided when it came to guns. She complained and nagged him any time he bought a gun, and he tried to make her understand. She never listened. To this day she believes that we should not be allowed to own guns in this country.

I do not want to end up like this. How am I supposed to meet girls who think the same way as I do about guns?

Meeting girls through church has worked OK so far because you meet girls who, for the most part, have the same beliefs as you. However, no religion I know of expressly is pro-gun ownership. I know my church has no official stand on the issue.

Any ideas? I just can't seem to meet girls who like guns...

If you enjoyed reading about "OT: How to meet girls who like guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Parallax
April 5, 2005, 12:59 AM
Find a girl who's an anti-gunner, and convert her :D

Oleg Volk
April 5, 2005, 01:01 AM
I recently chatted up two girls, both from Harbin, who had no exposure to guns. One was afraid of them but decided to learn once she found out that many men wouldn't consider a woman incapable of fending for herself or her kids. One had no prior opinion, didn't know a cartridge when she saw one, but was of "when in US, do as Americans do" mindset.

US attitudes vary by region, generally pro-gun in the South and West, mostly anti elsewhere...in both men and women. I found that I don't as much meet women who are progun as I meet reasonable, interesting people in general and they usually turn out to be neutral or pro-RKBA. You would be VERY surprised to learn who turned out to be pro, given existing stereotypes.

So I would view being a gunnie as no detriment to dating at all.

pax
April 5, 2005, 01:02 AM
Get out of the city, and if you live on the east coast, move west.

Not all country girls are into guns, but at least you won't be working against her entire culture & upbringing if you try to convert a country girl into enjoying firearms.

pax

fredcwdoc
April 5, 2005, 01:15 AM
When I was dating my wife, she had no love for firearms. After we were married for several years and I started taking my daughters to the range she gave in one day and went with us. The rest is history. She shoots, my two daughters shoot, I work with several women who hunt, fish, and shoot. There out there. Just keep looking.

esheato
April 5, 2005, 01:29 AM
Spend a lot of time at the range....until then, get a dog.

Actually, I'm in the same situation as you. Twenty-eight and single with nothing on the horizon. My Mom is waiting on kids. Hell, I have to find a wife first.

Besides, it's really hard when you don't go anywhere besides gun stores, gun shows and a few ranges to practice.

Some day my little gun bunny will come along... :D and I'll have car payments and mortgages and children to pay for....in the meantime I'm shooting as much as I possibly can.

Ed

Hellbore
April 5, 2005, 01:32 AM
LOL... I do have a good dog at least. Name's Buddy, and until I find a girl who likes hiking, shooting, and other outdoors stuff, he'll have to do for company:

http://cleedo.com/dogpacking/4peaks6.jpg

Also my dog's mom just had puppies, they are like 2 days old:

http://cleedo.com/3puppies2.jpg

He's a great dog, but I have to say, a girl has certain charms that no dog can compete with :p

thorn726
April 5, 2005, 01:38 AM
ok heres a ridiculous way .

tribe.net

there are lots of gun tribes, local and wide range, good way to find people who are into stuff

arcticap
April 5, 2005, 01:42 AM
I have been coaching my oldest son now 17 in Jr. Position Rifle shooting since he was about 10 years old. I always believed that one of the fringe benefits for him to look forward to from learning how to shoot competition was that it is very much a coed sport and at the very least, if he continued to participate as an adult, it would provide a social outlet. There are many young females who participate in position rifle right along side the boys in a highly urban area. It is an activity that involves a minority of youths, unless a town has a high school shooting team, but it continues into college age for many. Their love of guns does not end with school age, just like with the boys. They are just farther and fewer of them it seems. But if a girl's father likes hunting, or guns, those skills and affections are often transferred and ingrained upon their psyche. In some small way, that respect for their father will be transferred to you if you are fortunate to meet the right lady, which you will eventually, I'll bet the bank! I shoot trap at several clubs open to the public, am involved in a .22 bullseye shooting league, NRA air pistol shooting, muzzle loading, plate shooting and other gun clubs & activities. You need to find these kinds of organized activities to join and participate in on a regular basis, meet older shooters who have daughters who may not be as active in shooting, and get to know them. That's how you get referrals. Also, don't stop mentioning hunting, guns and shooting with ladies at work or in mixed conversation. You may be suprised to find out that a young lady may mention how she shot a 10 pointer with her dad when she was 15 years old, etc. and then you will have something of common interest to discuss and explore more about later. Once a lady knows your interests, she'll at least pick up on your interest and respond as a topic of conversation if she is vying for your attention. I hope this starts you thinking about getting more involved in various organized shooting activities and clubs. Meeting a father could be the first step to being introduced to his daughter... :D

esheato
April 5, 2005, 01:47 AM
Hellbore,

Quick! Take that puppy to the range and start shooting next to the cutest girl you can find. Nevermind her boyfriend, that puppy'll win her over with the quickness.

:p

Ed

Justin
April 5, 2005, 02:13 AM
No, not all girls are antigun. In fact in my experience, you're about as likely to meet one that is neutral or slightly leaning pro than an outright gun bigot. But then again, I grew up in the midwest and now reside in the west.

While not all girls are anti-gun, don't limit yourself to only girls who are as enthusiastic about guns as you are. That will surely cut your pool of potential girlfriends down to around zero.

If you meet a girl, mention that you do recreational shooting, and leave it at that. If she flips out, it wasn't meant to be. If she's cool with it, she's passed the litmus test.

(Speaking from experience.) :)

Ukraine Train
April 5, 2005, 02:17 AM
In my opinion, finding a girl that actually likes guns is real tough and it's the last thing I worry about when meeting one. I've yet to date one that likes guns but a few of my female friends have expressed interest in learning to shoot and I've gotten a couple to the range so far. I've been content with girls that at least tolerate my obsess.. err hobby. The girl I'm now dating is "afraid" of guns and refuses a range trip but she's fine with me carrying when we're out. I think she thinks I'm paranoid, though lol

M67
April 5, 2005, 07:10 AM
You mean you have never been approached by attractive girls who have asked you if you can take them to the range?

You must be living in the wrong country. :)

Yes, I really have experienced this a few times. It doesn't usually go much beyond a couple of range trips, but I suspect that's a personality thing, not a gun thing. :scrutiny: (And the fact that they might be genuinly interested in shooting, not necessarily the shooter.)

Seriously, I can't really remember any negative reactions concerning my sport. Reactions can range from degrees of interest to polite disinterest, as if I'd said I like to play the accordion or collect 19th century sewing machines. But not a negative response like you guys describe. Except maybe once, and this isn't a joke - she was American...

Gifted
April 5, 2005, 07:58 AM
And you think you have problems (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=133159) :neener:

Sean Smith
April 5, 2005, 08:11 AM
Actually, that's one thing I *haven't* really had trouble with the last few years. Of course, I'm in Texas. :D

LeonCarr
April 5, 2005, 08:17 AM
Try the Second Amendment Sisters - www.2asisters.org

Maybe some of them are single :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

El Tejon
April 5, 2005, 08:25 AM
Start hanging out with Skunk. :D

Jim PHL
April 5, 2005, 08:39 AM
When you get that new Red Hawk go wave it around at the local singles bar on ladies night. Make sure all the cuties see it and ask "What do you think?" You may have to try this a several bars before you get a positive response. We'll watch the news to see how you did! :evil:

MikeIsaj
April 5, 2005, 08:51 AM
I think if you look for a girl who likes guns your search is too narrow. I am happily married for 24 years to a woman who doesn't share my level of interest but does enjoy a shooting date now and then, and tolerates my interest. I think that's the most you can hope for, any more is a bonus.

You should think more along the line of what kind of girl could be interested in guns. Guns are a guy thing. Guns aren't something a young girl is normally exposed to so, I suspect there are a lot of women out there that may be bitten by the gun bug if they ever encounter one.

I guess I'd start with girls who like other guy things, we used to call them tomboys. Also look for women like my wife, educated, independent, strong willed. Here's where you have to decide on what type of woman you want in your life. My wife doesn't wait on me and serve me. We do however, share a lot of common interests, including to some degree, guns.

Good luck.

TallPine
April 5, 2005, 09:24 AM
Enjoy your dog ;)

It's way better to be single than in a bad relationship.

Besides, you won't be able to buy new Redhawks when you have a wife and family to support.

Control Group
April 5, 2005, 09:35 AM
What other people have said: all you really need is a girl who's willing to accept - perhaps even just tolerate - your hobby.

Besides, you'll never find anyone if you worry about everything that could be wrong with her before you meet her. It doesn't really matter if she likes guns before your first date, does it? That's what dating's for, after all, to find out whose "goods" outweigh her "bads." Even if you meet someone who's solidly anti, it's possible that she'll think you're worth the disagreement.

I'm dating a democrat (albeit one of the rational ones, not one of the flaming emotional diatribe ones), but we both just accept that we disagree on some things.

(Of course, when I discovered the gun hobby, I also discovered she's been going to the range longer than I have, but that's a different topic entirely)

SamlautRanger
April 5, 2005, 09:35 AM
Move to Pailin Province in Cambodia where I am. All the girls grew up Khmer Rouge and around guns and it is just a part of life. (plus the fattest ones are only 120 pounds!! and even the girls that work at the gas station and convience stores are fine!! no 300 pound walmart boars with mullets!!) :neener:

Nortonics
April 5, 2005, 09:38 AM
Any ideas? I just can't seem to meet girls who like guns...

Look for body piercings, or tattoos, or both. :) If she is fond of riding Harley's that's a good sign too. If she owns her own Harley that's even better... Let's see, a Bass boat, big truck, small sportscar, ...

You gettin' the idea yet? :banghead: ;)

armoredman
April 5, 2005, 09:44 AM
Sounds stupid but - see who somes into the range. Last time at the indoor range, there seemed to be more female shooters than males!
Dating services sound like the weirdest, dumbest, horrible waste of money....I met my wife through one many moons agao, and she loves the range....CCW CZ75 2075 9mm, HDR Yugo SKS....etc :)

mfree
April 5, 2005, 09:45 AM
*shrug*

Only woman I've ever been friends with or dated who *didn't* "like" guns (though plenty of them could care less) was my recent ex, who was from Boston and vehemently anti.

I took her shooting one day, because she was entertaining the idea of being a security guard. Didn't hear much else about it, but then, she was the kind of person who could never, ever admit she was wrong. Good riddens :)

BTW, I've got several other friends from the NE corridor who also aren't anti, so there are choices around there too, and not just down here in the south.

SamlautRanger
April 5, 2005, 09:50 AM
Oh, and a wife here in Cambodia will only cost you around $4000 (to pay parents and pay for wedding party). Just a little more than a custom 1911.

"the problem with america is trying to meet the right girl to marry, the problem in South East Asia is trying to decide which one to marry!" -Why I am still a Bachelor :D

cracked butt
April 5, 2005, 10:24 AM
Oh, and a wife here in Cambodia will only cost you around $4000 (to pay parents and pay for wedding party).

LOL! I have a good friend (he was my college room mate, who I keep in contact with) who is Hmong. Last time I saw him a few months back I asked him if he's met any girls lately. He told me he can't afford it. I nodded my head knowingly. He said "no you don't understand, it costs $10K for a bride, then I have to pay for the wedding and a party for the Bride's family. It costs even more for a good Bride"

I told him he was pulling my leg. He then told me to ask one of his customers at his store (he runs an Asian grocery store) how much he paid for his wife. I felt a little funny, and he said "this here is Bill, go ahead and ask him" I asked Bill and he smiled and said $15,000.

Me: *Whistle in amazement* :p

Back on topic.
I've never actively searched for a woman who was into guns during my single days. I always took them out to a range at least once and brought a few non threatening looking guns along like a Ruger Single Six or a break action single shot .410 along with a box of clay pigeons. Go over the safety rules and let them shoot at the clays set up at various ranges up to about 15 yards- make it easy and they will be hooked. Heck most of them turned out to be a better shot with a pistol than me, though that isn't saying much. ;)

cuervo
April 5, 2005, 10:34 AM
Find a girl first, then bring up guns as a hobby during the conversation and watch the reaction.

If she's against them at first, offer a trip to the range. If that doesn't work and guns are still an issue, then you can say you tried and move on and try again.

If you "convert" her and it still doesn't work out, we're all +1.

Online dating is a good way of doing this to. Post that you like shooting in your description. Whoever replies will at least be open to guns, if not for them. (Which is how I met my wife of almost 6 months now.)

Good luck.

Redneck Revolver
April 5, 2005, 10:42 AM
im amazed my girlfriend puts up with me and my love for firearms. she says im bordering on insanity. i say ive crossed that border long ago. :evil: but seriously its not that difficult ya just need to look around. even if they dont like guns, if they like you they will either get over it ,or, hopefully, grow to like guns too.

GreenFurniture
April 5, 2005, 10:43 AM
The easiest way to meet women, who love guns, is to come to our range on Tuesday when ladies shoot for free. They come out in force!

We also have female only firearms classes two Sundays a month as well as a large number of females in our carry classes.

charby
April 5, 2005, 11:01 AM
I just started dating one who likes to shoot but doesn't own a firearm of her own. (this might change if she is around for a while I have already looking for a SP101)

I think I got lucky here because I all ready liked her before I found out she likes to shoot. One day out of the blue I asked if someone broke in her house and you had your life threatened or tried to rape you and a handgun was accessible to you, what would you do. She told me she would shoot the S.O.B.

I think I might have found a keeper.

Charby

Parallax
April 5, 2005, 11:03 AM
I told him he was pulling my leg. He then told me to ask one of his customers at his store (he runs an Asian grocery store) how much he paid for his wife. I felt a little funny, and he said "this here is Bill, go ahead and ask him" I asked Bill and he smiled and said $15,000.

Me: *Whistle in amazement*

You'll pay way more than that for a wife here. Think of all the expenses, from the first date to the last lawyer's bill and alimony payment.

DigMe
April 5, 2005, 11:09 AM
Ok this is what you do..

Walk into a bar where there's a lot of hot chicks. Then pull out a gun and hold it up in the air and yell "Alright, ladies, who thinks I'm sexy now?!"

Really though...just move to Texas. :p

brad cook

DSRUPTV
April 5, 2005, 11:14 AM
I have to say try to convert them to liking guns. The past three girlfriends I've had went to the range and liked it. My current girlfriend even likes shooting my 686 (with lower power loads my Dad cooks up for me.) Her mother is very anti-gun, and thankfully it didn't affect my girlfriend. Try to take a few different items that they can try, and don't try to make them stay any longer than they want to.

DigMe
April 5, 2005, 11:16 AM
When I met my wife she had never really been around guns. She knew I had a couple but at the time I wasn't shooting as much as I do now. Anyway as the relationship progressed I got back to shooting a lot more and hunting more. At first when I told her I was going to get my concealed handgun license she was a bit taken aback but I explained to her why. She trusts me and grew to be accepting of it. Now sometimes if we're in situations that seem like they could go bad she takes comfort in me packing. I think she also likes to brag to her friends and coworkers when I take her shooting.

When you find the right girl I think she'll be accepting of that aspect of you even if she's not necessarily "into it." If she's straight up antigun then most likely you don't want to have anything to do with her anyway because she'll probably have some other philosophies that are far different from your own. Not that you can't be married and have different opinions on major things but personally I think it makes it a lot easier that my wife and I have the same basis for our beliefs and thus we have similar beliefs. It will make it easier when it comes to our kids too because there will be no conflict about what values to teach them.

brad cook

No_Brakes23
April 5, 2005, 12:02 PM
Find a girl who's an anti-gunner, and convert her

That's what I did. The girl who eventually became my wife was not a fan of guns at all, and she even quit speaking to me for a long period of time because someone told her I was packing in her car, (I wasn't.) After we moved in together she said she didn't like guns, but she felt safer knowing one was in the house.

Once we had kids her whole attitude changed. Her maternal protectiveness caused her to not only want to learn to shoot, but to buy a SIG P232. I certainly wouldn't call her a gun nut by any means, but she does enjoy going to the range every once in awhile.

For those that suggest you move to a more gun-friendly area, I would caution against that. Girls from pro-gun areas will sometimes not express their anti stance because it is socially unacceptable in their family. But once you get married and move away, the anti in them comes out. Happened to a buddy of mine from Dallas.

The best advice I can give is to date lots and lots of girls. :evil:

spacemanspiff
April 5, 2005, 12:15 PM
The best advice I can give is to date lots and lots of girls
so far, its been my experience that the pursuit of women and the hobby of shooting are mutually exclusive.

i cant afford to do both at the same time.

:uhoh: :( guess i'll just keep shooting. :D

Rockrivr1
April 5, 2005, 12:17 PM
OK, your thinking about this completely in the wrong way. You definitely and I mean DEFINITELY DON'T want a girlfriend/wife who's into guns. My reasoning is, she'll always want to go to the range with you. Will know exactly what guns you have in your safe. Will know how many rounds are stored in the basement. Will take your guns to the range with or without your advanced knowledge. GEEZ, that's MADNESS I tell you!!!!

First off you never tell the new girl your into guns. Date for a while and then slowly start to bring it up. As long as she doesn't freak, your all set. Then as things grow and she leaves you to your hobby, you can be cleaning a new gun in the living room, watching TV and when she asks you if that's new you can say NAAAAAA it's been in my safe for some time and I finally took it out.

Try that one on a wife that knows what you have in the safe. ;)

In case your wondering, I failed miserably in this area and now my future wife pretty much knows what I do and don't have. Plus she's a damn good shot. :uhoh:

SpookyPistolero
April 5, 2005, 12:22 PM
Haha, very nice, Parallax, very nice. I'm inclined to agree entirely. 15 grand is a bargain by comparison.

gazpacho
April 5, 2005, 12:28 PM
Give all your friends and relatives (who don't shoot) an open invitation to go shooting, your treat. Have a small but nice collection of .22s on hand for this. Repeat the invitation regularly, so they all know they can try shooting with you, if they want to. Stress the light recoil/minimal bang of 22lr. Don't be agressive about it. Make it a casual statement, and don't press the issue. You'll get more than a couple of men who will take you up on the offer, and that's fine, because you can always use shooting buddies. You will also get women taking you up on your offer. Further, your friends and relatives will remember your offer when their friends want to try shooting.

If you are really serious, get certified as a firearms instructor, and teach part time. Make money, meet chicks! :cool:

Or, you could just hope for blind luck. Happened to me. My wife and I went shooting on our first date.

Hellbore, tell this one to your mother: A couple of years back, my wife and I were with a bunch of friends at a Starbucks. Somehow the conversation turned to guns, led by a female friend who was very anti-gun at the time. We made a rather lame attempt to politely provide the pro-gun point of view, when my wife finally got fed up. She called over the barrista (a nice looking young gentleman whom the ladies were giggling over a little while earlier), and then pulled out her Lifetime NRA membership card, and her Concealed Firearms Permit, showing them to everyone. In a loud voice she asked him, "if you had to choose, who would your rather try to rape, me or my friend." She pointed to our then anti-gun friend. Did I forget to mention that my wife has some serious chutzpah?

firesafety3
April 5, 2005, 12:40 PM
gazpacho had the same idea I did. Get certified then work with the local Sheriff's Dept. to put on a handgun class for women periodically.

Dab a little CLP behind the ears and see how many heads you turn!

theCZ
April 5, 2005, 12:54 PM
Geez, I've hardly met any girls that aren't curious about shooting. I'm 22, and not really searching for a relationship, so I mostly like taking women shooting to by my part to support the 2nd. Some girls will say, "I don't want to shoot, I'm scared of guns." So you have to say something like, "Oh, that isn't a problem, I have a 22 rifle that is easy to shoot and quiet." After awhile, most of them go from "its fun" to calling me asking to go shooting, and after that point I start making them buy their own ammo!

Bottom line, move to a western state!

Hellbore
April 5, 2005, 01:00 PM
I already live in Arizona, that's a Western state right? :o

I must be doing something wrong.

theCZ
April 5, 2005, 01:15 PM
Do you live in a city? I've also been suprised at the amount of woment that want to shoot so they can defend themselves. That's particularly satisfying to me.

jason10mm
April 5, 2005, 01:23 PM
My Fiancee started out afraid of guns, but now shoots IDPA with me and suggested going to Gunsite for our honeymoon :P

Here is my sure-fire method for turning women on to guns.

After a few dates (making sure you actually like her before trying to convert her), mention that you shoot. Don't bring up your latest mall-ninja escapade or go into gratuitious detail about the last M4gery you cooked up, but casually lay it out there. Gauge her reactions, and always offer to take her to the range, even if she seems scared or hostile.

If she goes, make sure you spend a few moments on the basics of safety and marksmanship off the range, where it is quiet. At the range, try to get a stall away from the guy testing his hot load .454s. Good eye pro and EXCELLENT ear pro are a MUST! If she doesn't feel safe, she will be more uncomfortable. Good 29+ decible ear pro will dramatically reduce the perceived discomfort, especially from neighboring shooters.

You are gonna need a .22LR to start. No matter what she says, start on the .22. Try to keep the ranges SHORT (5 meters tops), you want to build up her confidence, not bust her down with long range marksmanship. Shoot N-C targets help. Make sure you load and chamber rounds for her, don't distract her from shooting or make her feel that guns are "too complicated".

Here is the important part. While you are making her shoot a .22, ALWAYS bring a spectrum of other stuff. I like a.38/.357 revolver, 9mm pistol, and a .45. Let her see them in the bag early on, but let her curiosity work on her. Don't mention them AT ALL.

You are waiting to see if she tires of the .22 and gets interested in what else she can shoot. If she starts looking at another shooters gun or at your bag, ask if she wants to jump up in caliber. That is a SURE sign of a budding gun nut!If she sticks with the .22 and isn't interested in anything else, she is probably just tolerating the experience for your sake and you will have work harder on her later (or move on completely).

Anyway, gradually advance her up the calibers, making sure she can see how much bigger each cartridge is (for some reason, this visual feedback is very gratifying). If she finds something she can't shoot well, move on quickly so she doesn't get frustrated. For some reason, I find that 5" steel 1911s and large revolvers are PERFECT for intro shooters with close supervision. They don't recoil much, and tend to be easy to hit with.

Once you are out of time/ammo, make sure you complement her on how well she did, how fast she moved up the calibers, and how impressed you are with her willingness to try something new. Offer her the target as a momento.

Then you swing by the gun counter on the way out so she can see if any of them catch her eye (remember, shopping is an instinct with the fairer sex). Make sure you get a confirmation for a second range trip and you are GOLDEN!

I've done this several times with a 100% success rate. Keep it simple, do the manual work for her, and don't swamp her with gun nut-level detail and a wonderful relationship can blossom!

some of you may think this is a bit condecending, but remember that the target is inexperienced and uninterested in firearms, probably a bit unwilling at first. This is a familiarization technique only!

Jay Kominek
April 5, 2005, 01:35 PM
To condense a few plans, it sounds like you want to:

1. Hang out at a range near a big city in the west on ladies night.
2. Have a few .22s on you, and a case of ammo.
3. Teach classes to women.

No_Brakes23
April 5, 2005, 01:44 PM
jason10mm said...
Try to keep the ranges SHORT (5 meters tops)

Some ranges won't let you shoot that close. 21'/7 yards is a common minimum, and most people can hit stuff at that range.

But otherwise +1 on all the stuff you said.

firesafety3
April 5, 2005, 01:50 PM
Take her on a picnic in a secluded area. Plant a roadkill rattler in a predetermined location along the walkway. When you come upon that spot, brush her to the side (in a protective manner) while drawing from the IWB holster. Four to five shots should do.

Don't forget to return the gun to safety quickly and blow the whisping smoke from the end of the barrel before reholstering.

Skip the courtesy wink but do put an arm around her to ask if she is ok.

Bear Gulch
April 5, 2005, 01:55 PM
Samlaut and cracked butt, it ain't the buy in that is costly, it's the up keep!

I wish my wife only ran me 10k!

Hellbore
April 5, 2005, 02:06 PM
Well, I hope you guys are right.

Here's a frustrating story: My twin sister (we are fraternal twins) lives in an apartment in a bad neighborhood where there is a lot of crime. She lives with another young woman, and they have no protection at all in their house. I have taken my sister shooting before with my dad, and she liked it. For some reason, however, when I offered to buy her a gun for her next birthday, she refused. I think she is crazy for not AT THE VERY LEAST keeping pepper spray on hand. I was going to buy her one of those Chinese Beretta copies for $160 to keep under her bed, but for whatever reason, she is totally against it...

I may just buy it for her anyway and try to convince her after-the-fact. I think part of the problem is she doesn't want me spending money on her, she would want to pay for it herself, BUT she would rather spend her money on clothes and shoes. So she would rather just avoid the issue and not bother getting a gun.

NMshooter
April 5, 2005, 02:25 PM
Definitely not easy, in my experience.

Of course there are all the other things I like to do, like hiking and camping, that get in the way as well.

So I am taking a vacation from looking, and it is kinda nice.

Patience seems mandatory for such a search, much like so many other things in life.

SamlautRanger
April 5, 2005, 08:10 PM
Well, $5000- $10,000 may seem like a lot to pay for a wedding and to oay the parents if you marry a lady from Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, Indonesia, or Cambodia. But, how much do people pay for weddings in the USA. Usually much more. Also, I paid $26,000 for a new truck. it will probably last me, if I am lucky 200,000 miles or 10 years. So a wife and wedding does not even cost half that-and it is much more important and is for life.

Of course, the ring thing always gets me. WHAT $1000 for a diamond ring, that is outrageous and a waste of money!!!! But, $2000 for a custom Ed Brown 1911, well that is OK !!! :D

OT, I have 2 secretaries, both pretty hot looking (was asked recently a t a family reunion if I had a girlfriend and when I was getting married-I replied WHY??? I have a secretary :neener: That really pissed off some of my hefer relatives!!). Anyway, took them both out to one of my Police Stations once and had them learn all the intimate details of an AK. They were kind of shy with guns at first, but now open to them. My one secretary is great, she organizes all my gun, hunting, and Bowhunting magazines in seperate piles for me. She even helped me pick out 2 new guns. But, she says I have too many guns. She said I should only have 2 of each (2 rifles, 2 pistols. etc...) I said I need 2 of each type (2 1911s, 2 lever action, 2 shotguns O/U, 2 HK P7s, etc... ;)

The_Antibubba
April 5, 2005, 08:19 PM
SamlautRanger,

$4000, huh? Can I use a credit card? Is there a payment plan? Can you send pictures? :D

Hellbore, while I'm in a similar situation as you (and just try finding a nice Jewish girl who likes guns-Oyyyy!), I have a surefire lady attractant-a lever-action carbine. It's a Rossi .357. Every time I'm at the range, women come over to look at it. Of course, I offer to let them shoot it.. .357 rounds have a little kick, and .38s are like shooting a 22.

Much better than any cologne, let me tell you! :evil:

q102josh
April 5, 2005, 08:29 PM
hehe yeah Antibubba i hear ya man... im jewish too bro

dodging230grainers
April 5, 2005, 09:01 PM
I'm Jewish as well. Quite surprising to see quite a few jewish gun owners post on gun forums :D
Don't know why people seem to think jews are against guns...not true at all..alot of jews I know in my city own guns..of course i live in Houston, Texas so that helps :)

Gung-Ho
April 5, 2005, 09:48 PM
Find a girl who's an anti-gunner, and convert her

Worked for me...my wife of 23 years was a former dope smoking, FM listening, liberal from California. Now she's as conservative as me, can put a round in a fleas ass at 200 meters, and asks me when I'm going to buy the next case of ammo so she can shoot more. :) I'm just lucky I guess. :p

spacemanspiff
April 5, 2005, 10:01 PM
dodginggrainers, its simply because the Jews we see in mainstream are so liberal. (seinfeld, jon steward, etc).

:D we need to either convert them or get more media attention to the gun-loving Jews.

dodging230grainers
April 5, 2005, 10:05 PM
You can't convert some of them because they are anti-gun liberals...no different than the non jewish ones...same ignorant stubborn people.
Jews I would think would be more inclined to own guns, considering we are a minority and have been persecuted since the beginning of time..

wasrjoe
April 5, 2005, 10:18 PM
Why would you want a girl when you have guns? :confused:

Stevie-Ray
April 5, 2005, 10:54 PM
My wife of almost 30 years, absolutely detests the fact that guns.....................are expensive. Well, I can live with that. Obviously so can she.

The women that like guns are out there, but there are way more that don't really LIKE them, but rather are unaffected by them either way.

Mauserguy
April 5, 2005, 11:02 PM
In my experience, out here in California, many girls think it is illegal, and are intrigued by the opportunity to go shooting. Take 'em to the range, and they will love it. If they don't like guns (the concept of firearms), they will invariably like shooting and will not be hostile to your sport. Don't hide your hobby, involve the girls in it. You will both have fun.
Mauserguy

Wags
April 5, 2005, 11:09 PM
My wife doesn't hunt or really care for firearms for the record. But a good wife will support you and your hobby's if she can have her hobby's also. Where would your wife rather have to go and find you, in a bar full of women and strangers or knowing your at the range shooting or hunting? If you said a bar it ain't goin to work out anyway......

And whats the hurry to marry at 26 yrs old? Only reason I married was because I said to myself, "Why should I be happy the rest of my life."

No_Brakes23
April 6, 2005, 01:17 AM
The_Antibubba said...
and just try finding a nice Jewish girl who likes guns-Oyyyy!What about Israeli girls? I know Israeli doesn't equal Jewish, but some of them are teh Hawtness!

anti-gun liberalsDamn, I hate this phrase. :cuss: It is an oxymoron. How did liberal become a bad word in a group of people who claim to love liberty? :mad: You can be an Anti-gun Leftist, but you aren't really liberal if you are anti 2a.

Hellbore
April 6, 2005, 01:59 AM
just try finding a nice Jewish girl who likes guns-Oyyyy!

LOL... I like Jewish girls for some reason. Every Jewish girl I have personally known has been really cool. I'm not Jewish BTW. I must be wierd.

JJNA
April 6, 2005, 02:42 AM
My wife was very afraid of guns when I met her. It was not that she was actively anti-Second Amendment, but rather that she was generally ignorant and unfamiliar with firearms.

Not only is she an enthusiastic gun owner today (obviously with her own firearms, which I liberally borrow), she also understands the economics of gun ownership well. What do I mean? When I recently mentioned that perhaps I should sell some guns I do not use much, she told me that I should never sell guns since they would be much more expensive to purchase again later on. :)

My recommendation to a single guy looking for a "gun" gal is to simply look for one who is compatible in character traits (sense of humor and what not), not necessarily in specific interests. Then as the relationship deepens, one can build activities and interests together, through compromises if necessary (for example, in my case, I had to agree to take dancing lessons and study cooking with my wife in return for her agreeing to train in Jiu-Jitsu and Kali).

Sure, some of my friends may knock me for having participated in "unmanly" activities, but then I ask how many of them have wives who shoot, do Jiu-Jitsu and Kali, and thus can work out with me, and there is nothing but silence (also, as my wife often points out, the "unmanly" skills would come in handy in impressing other women should I part ways with her :D ).

James
http://gunsandbutter.blogspot.com

TonkinTwentyMil
April 6, 2005, 04:13 AM
Aside from the interesting challenge of CONVERTING (educating?) an anti-gun female, my own multi-marriage experiences, and those of good friends, leads me to these conclusions:

1. Never get seriously involved -- let alone married to -- a lass with whom you're Politically Incompatible. If you're a gun/knife/flashlight/motorcycle nut, that means you must avoid all big-city/"blue-state" urban-liberal-pacifist babes -- no matter how magnificent their charms. Period. Life's too short.

2. With 50% of marriages eventually headed to divorce, that means it's likely you'll lose half your guns in the property settlement. It also means Her lawyer, knowing you're a "weapons nut", will use it against you in any settlement disputes, etc. I guarantee you this will not be a good time to also discover the liberal/anti-gun biases infesting the judiciary, either. It's cold, tactical thinking, but do you really want to go up against an angry anti-gun (ex) wife with a similar-bent lawyer and divorce judge? If so, bend over right now before you see the last sunshine.

3. With the present state of our P.C. driven laws, nearly ANY domestic dispute (via marriage or live-in) may not only beget police intervention, but also Temp. Restraining Orders, etc., which will probably confiscate your guns... AND impair your ability to pass a NICS check to buy new guns.

4. If you initially encounter serious friction with Her over this, it'll undoubtedly grow and magnify other problems. Compromise? How? that's like trying to "compromise" with the Brady/Million Mom gang, and THAT leads to incremental erosion of your 2A rights. You won't be able to look at yourself in the mirror if you sell-out on this.

I salute you guys who've converted your ladies. You beat the odds. However, for those dudes contemplating wedded bliss, I urge a Pre-Nuptial Agreement addressing the gun issue. Get her to agree that you must/can/will own and use them, and get her to waive any future rights to them, or to get them confiscated when the rough water appears downstream, etc. If she balks, drop-kick the wench into the arms of some sensitive/progressive/blah-blah lib-snots like Alan Alda or Michael Moore. In the long run, there's too many women out there who could float your boat AND accept your pro-gun lifestyle.

Besides, the Anti-gunners punish us everyway they can. Accordingly, let's punish them -- by shunning their females and sentencing them to a lifetime of Chardonnay-sipping boredom with butt-kissing girlie-men. Plus, when those anti-gun babes eventually get divorced at age 35-40, most of 'em will be a lot hungrier to find -- and please -- a "different" (e.g., Real) kind of guy.

RevDisk
April 6, 2005, 04:24 AM
So... am I the only guy who's never had a problem finding a woman that's ok with guns? I feel like a minority here. The 'trick' is to have some mutually compadible interests and personality. Show interest or simply support her hobbies and interests. Looking at only one aspect of a person you want to date is not a good idea in my experience.

Answer this question mentally. If you want a lady to unquestionly support your gun interest, can you spend 45 minutes shopping with said lady without grumbling, looking at watch every few minutes or continously complaining? If not, re-think your priorities.

What about Israeli girls? I know Israeli doesn't equal Jewish, but some of them are teh Hawtness!

I once dated a nice IDF girl. Be careful as she will likely be able to outshoot you. ;)

kayak bum
April 6, 2005, 06:55 AM
I initially asked my current girlfriend out in part due to the NRA life member sticker on her car; I figured it was a good indicator.

280PLUS
April 6, 2005, 07:10 AM
Find a horse farm and learn how to ride. These days horse farms are usually owned and operated by women. They all have eyes for a guy who rides and if you're new they are more than happy to help you with any questions etc. Translation: Opportunities to strike up conversation. From what I've seen there are very few (sometimes NO) men hanging around and to boot most of the ladys are in great shape from all that farm work. And usually they're not the squeamish type either. You shouldn't have too many problems finding one or so that won't freak out at the sight of a gun. You might find one that can outshoot and out-wrestle you though...

I know one that tosses a bale of hay with the best of them and she's quite the hottie.

mike1966ga
April 6, 2005, 07:26 AM
Blackjack and Hookers " cheeper in the long run" :D

Zach S
April 6, 2005, 07:36 AM
Most of the girls I've dated were antis, some hated them (although they werent antis), some had no opinion. Even though they didnt have an opinion, I think the number of guns I own (around a dozen) made them a little nervous, I suspect my tommygun more than all the others (combined).

The weird thing is that I live in Western NC, how do I keep hooking up with antis?

I pretty much said the hell with it. With the BS I put up with at work and at home, not to mention the BS that comes with most of the relationships I get into, I've got to the point where I like the solitude.

justashooter
April 6, 2005, 12:53 PM
"I recently chatted up two girls, both from Harbin, "

harbin china? i have a girlfriend in luoyang who is from harbin. she is a college student there and wants to come to america with me. i'd rather visit her once in awhile.

theCZ
April 6, 2005, 02:37 PM
280PLUS
-watch out for those horse chicks! My sister is big time into horses and eventing and as an immature teenager in the late 90s I was drug to many horse shows with my family. I can tell you right now that dating a horse girl is EXPENSIVE! After seeing what some of those girls put their boyfriends through, I'm stayin' away.

Now a nice little cowgirl to go help me ride out and check the cows... That's a different story!

JohnBT
April 6, 2005, 04:31 PM
"How to meet girls who like guns?"

Yep, volunteer at a prison.

entropy
April 6, 2005, 05:17 PM
Hellbore, you may be weird, but I like Jewish girls , too, and I am not. I dated two, one liked guns, and wanted to move to a kibbutz, the other didn't. I would liked to have moved to Israel with her, but was unwilling to give up my US citizenship. (That and I was 18 at the time.) :uhoh:

(OF course, I'm married now, so what kind of girls I like are a moot point. :rolleyes: )

When I worked at a trap range in my teens, I met many girls who liked guns. In a roundabout way it's how I met my wife. Her cousin was working at a trap shoot as a scorer, and I dated her a couple times, but still stayed in touch as friends. (Which we still are.) When I went over to her house one time, I met my future wife.
My wife wasn't into guns when we started dating, but a little gentle persuasion got her shooting a .22 pistol, then my .357 with wadcutters, then full .357's, then on to the .44Mag! I'd created a monster! :D She really doesn't shoot much, once in a while is fine for her. I know she can if needed, and that's what's important. (She won't hunt, which is fine by me. My stepmom hunts, and I think my Dad would've liked the escape that deer hunting provides most guys. ;) .)

larryf1952
April 6, 2005, 06:12 PM
...but in a nice way. :o Unless they're that 300 pound Wal-Mart boar with a mullet that I read about somewhere back there...GAWD, that was funny!

I was very fortunate. I never had to work to convince my sweet missus to "like" guns, or to "allow" me to have them as a hobby. She still has little desire to shoot, but her political beliefs, insofar as firearms are concerned, pretty much parallel my own. She thinks it's ludicrous to believe that guns are responsible for crime or the evil acts of others.

I guess I can't imagine what it might be like to have to try to change someone's opinion who's as dead set against them, as I might be for them. Frustrating, I'm sure. Somehow, in a twisted little way, though, I'd like to give it a try... :evil:

280PLUS
April 6, 2005, 07:48 PM
LOL,,,

Yea, sage advice, stay away from the expensive ones.

CZ, you're talking about the "Foo-Foo" riders. Stay away from the Foo-Foo riders unless they're rich and want to spend their money on YOU!

:evil:

I lean toward the worker bee farm girls myself.

Hint: go for the ones in jeans... ;)

JJNA
April 7, 2005, 05:35 AM
What about Israeli girls? I know Israeli doesn't equal Jewish, but some of them are teh Hawtness!I visited Israel for the first time last year, and found many Israeli women to be very attractive.

The thing that was most appealing about young Israeli women, if I can so stereotype, was that many were very warm and subtly flirtatious (in a very tasteful way -- not at all trashy as in a bad bar scene). Maybe it's the Mediterranean thing. Maybe it's the eclectic ethnic mix of the population. Aside from physical beauty, I found young women in Israel to be, in general, very approachable and curious. Yet many also displayed obvious signs of rugged self-reliance. All in all, a most appealing combination for someone of my tastes.

But since I am happily married, that is all I found out. I gave my full report to my wife upon return, and plan to re-visit with her (maybe she'll tell me about the men). :)

Oh, yeah, it was also fun to see a group of young female soldiers everywhere (almost all of them with M16's), chatting away like a bunch of little girls (because that's actually what they were, little girls with little girly paraphernalia like trading cards and cutsy things). What a scene -- the terror of the Middle East.

mutt
April 8, 2005, 11:31 PM
Look for a good country girl. Most enjoy hunting,fishing ,sex and many other sports. And dang near all are good at cooking up you hunting kill. Be it squirrel, deer, possium, hog or what ever ya'll bring home. I know I got such a girl." No greater love hath I " .........MUTT

Malamute
April 8, 2005, 11:36 PM
I have a cool pic of Israeli girls with M-16's, I don't know how to post it, but I'll e-mail it someone that can post it.

thorn726
April 9, 2005, 01:24 AM
I have a cool pic of Israeli girls with M-16's
well how about this
Hilla is Israeli - she is not anti at least
hehheh
http://users.lmi.net/thorn/images/hilla1.JPG

Malamute
April 9, 2005, 02:05 AM
I think I figured out how to get the picture to post, here goes....

q102josh
April 9, 2005, 09:24 AM
pretty sexy malamute =)

Gung-Ho
April 9, 2005, 12:35 PM
Dang, those are some mighty fine looking, heavily armed girls....... I want one. :)

TamThompson
April 9, 2005, 03:24 PM
Free advice from a woman: one of the most common things that changes women's minds about guns is when something very, very bad happens either to them or to another woman they're close to. Such as: rape, home invasion, car-jacking, armed robbery, etc. It seems like the danger has to hit close to home to make it real to us. *shrug*. FWIW.

Richard.Howe
April 9, 2005, 03:28 PM
I recommend putting on a camo muscle shirt and a chest bandolier full of 50 BMG. Go down to your local wal Mart and hang out in the underwear section.

Please let me know if this works.

entropy
April 9, 2005, 05:02 PM
More Girls of the IDF:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/mosinfan/IsraeliGirls.jpg

Quite the recruiting poster if you ask me!

"I want you for IDF! ;)

Archie
April 9, 2005, 05:38 PM
As a man of some experience, I will give the benefit of my mistakes.

When confronted with the choice of firearms or a woman, take the firearms.

They don't get tired of you, they cost less in the long run, they give greater pleasure all things considered, they don't nag and they get better with age.

Bitter? Says who?

Hellbore
April 9, 2005, 06:23 PM
Free advice from a woman: one of the most common things that changes women's minds about guns is when something very, very bad happens either to them or to another woman they're close to. Such as: rape, home invasion, car-jacking, armed robbery, etc. It seems like the danger has to hit close to home to make it real to us. *shrug*. FWIW.

I have sort of noticed that... For example, married women with kids seem to be more interested in guns than single girls... They must be considering protecting their kids from danger. Also I know a couple girls who were raped and they are into guns and self-defense now. They are both married now though so they are off my list of possible girlfriends.

another okie
April 9, 2005, 08:29 PM
Looking for a girl who likes guns and looking for a girl who will let you shoot and buy guns are two different things. There's been some good advice about how to find shooters. I don't have much experience with that, but I will give you some tips on finding gun-friendly females, by which I mean females who will accept your hobby.

Look for:
1. girls with a good relationship with their father.
2. girls who actually want a man, rather than a "best friend."
3. girls who accept or enjoy other stereotypically masculine pursuits, such as football or baseball, or at least enjoy watching them.

Avoid:
1. girls who have never had a male presence in their lives.
2. girls who don't eat meat.
3. girls who watch television and movies constantly.

Good luck! My wife gave me a chronograph for Christmas, and her mother gave me a set of digital calipers to help in reloading, so I'm very lucky.

cdma
April 9, 2005, 08:30 PM
Real simple: Southern girls.

Failing that, get her hooked on you, then invite her shooting.

runswithscissors
April 10, 2005, 01:37 AM
1) Go to the range often
2) Go to the gun shows often
3) Go to the gun shops often
4) Join a gun club

If those fail, try dating a cop :p

I met a chick whose was really into the MMM(Million Mom March) stuff. She was quite cute with a great personality. When she found out that I owned guns, she gave me her lecture about MMM and guns. She then told me that she would love to date me except she can't becuase of the whole firearm thing. I smiled and said, me too ;)

Malamute
April 10, 2005, 10:03 AM
My Dad met a woman (who is now his girlfriend)that was an east coast liberal in the full sense of the word. She was new in the area and joined the social group of her realtor, and as they got to know each other, at least had some tolerance for sport shooting. To get to the point, she now has her own Smith 357, and a Beretta auto shotgun that she shoots clays with (pretty well too), and is eyeing a nice O-U shotgun, a Browning I think. She's also working bird dogs and entering field competitions.

In conversation with her last Christmas, she made a passing comment about "back when I was a liberal"....

280PLUS
April 10, 2005, 09:43 PM
Talking to the woman I am now leasing 1/2 a horse from. TODAY 4/10/05:

Me, "I can't ride this Thursday because I have a pistol match to shoot."

Her, "You shoot? Thats so cool. I LOVE TO SHOOT! I learned to shoot with the rifle club in high school. I bought MY FIRST HANDGUN at 21. It was a 9 shot .22 caliber High Standard. Those are pretty good aren't they?" :rolleyes:

Me, "Well then you should come to the range some time."

Her, "REALLY?!?! I would LOVE TO DO THAT!!"

I am all married off already and quite happy so it will all be very platonic.
But what a co-inkydink though, eh?

I don't want to say I told you so, but,,,

If anything were to convince me to leave my wife though, it WOULD be for one of those girls a few frames back.

Of course, at my age they might accidentally hurt me

:eek:

:D

AZgunstudent
April 11, 2005, 04:44 PM
I posted this a couple of years ago:

"My own girlfriend came from Manhattan by way of Illinois, and carried a very deep liberal streak. She was absolutely mortified when she learned I was a gun owner, after we had been dating for three or four weeks.

"Many, many hard-fought philosophical battles later (along with many pints of beer at our favorite 'date bar'), I finally convinced her that guns were at least acceptable. Fast forward two years, and we're attending the NRA show together, where she proudly displays her membership card to get in the door. We shoot the Springfield Armory Action Pistol Challenge together. She bugs me to take her trap shooting every week. She recently got a carry permit (though she's not quite ready to carry), and bought herself a 9mm pistol. And she convinced the owner of her bookstore to have Wayne LaPierre for a signing -- I've got a great picture of them together."

Fast forward two more years. We're happily married and living in Arizona. She now packs a CZ75B and often a Kel-Tec P32 to boot -- more guns than I carry! She now bugs me to go shooting out in the desert, and frequents the local range's "ladies night" by herself. We've taken training together, and she takes the "tactical" stuff seriously. She attends the various women's shooting events in Arizona, too. She even helped me assemble a "bug out bag," and ensured it contained extra mags for the AR.

Conversion isn't the only option, though it worked for me. We taught one of my wife's friends -- a young lady who is well beyond "pretty" -- how to shoot pistols and the AR last year. Of course, all the young guys at the range made excuses to hover near our shooting bench while Jen shot. It was quite amusing, actually. Several of the wife's female colleagues have asked her to take them shooting, too -- and she works at a university!

Keep looking. It'll happen. But like many posters have stated, it often comes up not as "Hey, look at my cool Redhawk," but rather out of a common political/philosophical interest or a similar "sense of life."

Blackburn
April 11, 2005, 04:48 PM
Someone should set up a Highroad dating service.

;)

LiquidTension
April 11, 2005, 05:30 PM
My most recent ex went to the range with me once. She liked shooting the MkII, but after 1 round through an MP5 she freaked a little. Whatever. I shot the other 149 rounds through it - 3rd burst and FA :D

xdoctor
April 11, 2005, 06:01 PM
I've had really good luck with taking them to the range on a date. Not the first date, that would be creepy. Its usually after they've been to my house and seen the various reloading equipment scattered about. And the shotgun in the corner. And the collection of Guns and Ammo. And the pictures of me and dad on hunting trips on the mantle. And the framed target I have from my best shoot ever.

Usually I can talk them into a trip to the range. Start them off with a .22. For the love of god, start with a .22. Don't let them shoot anyting bigger than a .380 the first time out and they love it. I let one try my .44mag once. Once. Never saw her again.

chopinbloc
April 11, 2005, 06:17 PM
if you wanna meet pro-gun women go to abortion clinic.

okay, please don't hurt me, i know that was in horrible taste. there are plenty of good, pro-gun women out there, you just have to keep trying. AZ isn't bad for guns and attitudes, maybe you should move. i find most girls are intrigued by guns and if they have negative attitudes they usually aren't firmly entrenched - a rational explanation usually brings them around. rember, most people dislike guns out of ignorance and education is the key. as far as meeting good conservative girls at church read this dissertation: http://www.gunowners.org/sk0801.htm should give some good talking points for you to figure out where they're at. most christians tend to be strong believers in personal responsibility, so as long as you approach the issue in an even-handed way, you ought to find someone you can be equally yoked.

ScorpioVI
April 11, 2005, 07:19 PM
We should start a new website, http://www.iloveidfchicks.com

JJNA
April 12, 2005, 03:38 AM
Malamute:

Would you believe that during my summer trip to Jerusalem, I actually saw someone walking an Alaskan Malamute? A happy looking beast too. Must've been hot, though, because I was and I don't carry 25 pounds of white fur!

Not to tease, but I have many photographs of IDF women group meets (aka bus stops in Jerusalem), but I won't share since I do not have their permission to do so!

Something interesting I noticed about young IDF conscripts (men AND women): they look like a bunch of children! They ARE a bunch of children! When I was at the Wailing Wall and saw the swearing in ceremony, it looked like the plaza was full of little teenagers, all with M16's (a few with M4's). Hundreds of them.

I often heard that when the South Africans adopted the Galil for their service, they had to lengthen the stock. I thought, gee, are Afrikaaners that big? I found the answer when I saw the IDF soldiers. They're short!

myrockfight
April 12, 2005, 10:25 AM
LOL - apparantly Tampa is a pretty good place. I spoke with two girls in as many nights, who brought the subject up! Not only did they bring it up, but they spoke favorably on the subject!

I'll have to admit this is the exception, rather than the rule. But I'll digress...here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=1639265#post1639265) are the details.

MoeMentum
April 12, 2005, 11:15 AM
My wife doesn't like guns. But, my sons and daughter all shoot. So we have her surrounded, she has no choice but to surrender.

Trisha
April 12, 2005, 11:33 AM
To land the catch of your dreams, be sure you're the best (and most tempting) bait in the area! Hon, from just the one trip Susan and I made to K2 a little while back, either of us could've ended up with dates - and those were straight girls who were delighted to run into someone who wasn't overbearing and who had a sense of humor!

:neener:

Okay, okay - so I recruit (I'm after the lavender C6 supercharged Corvette - I have the equivalent of a pallet-load of toaster ovens. . .)!

The point is simple: stop trying so hard! I don't know you, and I'm not trying to get sarcastic, but guys on the hunt can be spotted at 250 yards in fog! Really! It's as if you radiate some sort of 'desperation' pheremone or something. If someone catches your eye, don't give her an eye bath, yes? Talking to her pierced belly-button (or tongue stud) while involuntarily wiping sweaty palms on your pants probably aren't good mannerisms. . .

:uhoh:

:D

Keep the faith. Relax! And have fun! Life is too short to stay all stressed out.

svtruth
April 12, 2005, 02:00 PM
I'm not Jewish, but if I were, given your ancestors' history of persecution, I'd have an arsenal.

buzz_knox
April 12, 2005, 02:05 PM
I showed my girlfriend my Colt 6920 and explained what would have been prohibited under the AWB and why. Without any prompting, she said it was "such a stupid law." Happiness is a logical, educated woman who's very easy on the eyes. ;)

svtruth
April 12, 2005, 02:15 PM
My daughter is a vegetarian, she lives with her BF in Phoenix. He, is Mom, Dad and sister all have carry permits. My wife asked him hiw many guns he had and he said he and his dad have 60-70. They took us shooting in the desert one day and we had a blast (no pun) even my wife who had never shot a gun before. So now I'm getting into it.

LiquidTension
April 12, 2005, 08:01 PM
I think guns are cheaper than women - at least the upkeep is. After the initial investment all they need are ammo for the most part. Think about how much you spend on a woman...gifts, movies, dinner, various dates, etc. Yeah, I've definitely spent more on women than guns. Thing is, the guns are still around long after the women have left.

That said, there's definitely a shortage of good, gun-lovin' women.

Yuck Mouth
April 12, 2005, 09:07 PM
Another IDF female.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Greatmuta/eaf001a5.jpg

280PLUS
April 13, 2005, 09:39 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23688

labrat
April 13, 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm a woman living (and brought up) near SF and I like guns. I know of at least three single women that go to Berkeley and that like guns. One is in the law school. I know there are more in the area because I see them at the range.

I had to learn before I liked guns. A friend took me to the range and showed me. Then, my husband decided he liked AR-15's right before the ban. That was pretty much it for us.

Anyway, there's plenty of hope but maybe a bit of education necessary.

Skunkabilly
April 13, 2005, 11:34 AM
Start hanging out with Skunk.

What he said....

Billy the Kid
April 13, 2005, 11:56 AM
Guess i am lucky, my girlfriend grew up in China and immagrated here when she was 16, so she wasnt in on this whole mass hysteria thing when it pertains to guns. She was actually rather neutral. Niether for nor against. So i bought her her own little ear protection and safety glasses and took her to the range and she she was apprehensive at 1st but then when she got to shoot a few rounds off she really liked it. It doesnt mean she turned into a gun collector and goes shooting with me all the time, in fact she doesnt usually go with me, but she understands that we only get 1 shot at life and understands and accepts that I keep a gun in the nightstand near the bed and i carry when we go out on the weekends. In fact she rather appreciates the gun in the nightstand especially when i go to work and she is home alone.

Shes a small one, only 5'1 110 pounds. She looks hot when she is shooting a gun though :D

John Ross
April 13, 2005, 12:33 PM
Trisha wrote:
I don't know you, and I'm not trying to get sarcastic, but guys on the hunt can be spotted at 250 yards in fog! Really! It's as if you radiate some sort of 'desperation' pheremone or something.

Amen!

You are falling prey to what I call the "Men's novel school of female design." You know--where the protagonist in the novel meets a hottie who is unattached, no kids, is smart, makes a great income doing something she loves and/or has inherited wealth, has martial arts skills, plays scratch golf, is an expert shot, has a voracious sexual appetite and repertoire, and is available.

Real life ain't like that.

Looking for a girl who likes guns is a tiny step away from "One-itis" which, as Trisha so accurately pointed out, is the death knell of a woman's interest.

Go to

http://www.john-ross.net/abby.htm

and

http://www.john-ross.net/advice.htm

for some detailed insight into the subject.

Chat up every woman that even remotely looks interesting. From a big enough sample, you'll be able to winnow it down to some compatible choices.

JR

Bushido
April 13, 2005, 02:59 PM
Ok i aint reading all the posts. but im from the San Fransico Bay Area. lol i know. So my girl freinds were kinda ignorant of the whole gun thing. So at the time I lived there i took them to the property in nevada with a couple .22's and just shot ????. I might have helped that we went to a Chirstian school. i dont know. Chirstians may not have a GI modle firearm, but the majority of us either have one, or know someone who has a closet full. lol personally i would worry more about your guns and less about the chicks. chicks cost more than the guns anyway. if you really wana find someone, go to every range in the county, and change ranges every week lol. later bro.

sturmruger
April 13, 2005, 03:09 PM
Wow I can't believe this thread is still up. It seemed pretty OT to me at the start, but I guess it has drifted into topic from time to time.

Hellbore
April 13, 2005, 03:13 PM
The point is simple: stop trying so hard!

Thanks but that doesn't really apply to my situation. I haven't been "trying" at all... My philosophy so far has been if I happen to meet a girl and one thing leads to another, fine, but I don't go LOOKING for girls. The only reason I'm thinking about it more now is because I'm getting into the late 20's and I don't want to stay single TOO long. So far I have pretty much put zero effort into "getting girls". I've been too busy doing things that I actually find enjoyable. Dating a girl I hit it off with is enjoyable, but putting a concerted effort into flirting and trying to "hook up" isn't. I just think maybe it's time to pull out all the stops and join the hunt like most guys do.

/rant on
I have just never been one to try and sell myself to anyone. If someone can't see me for the catch I am, it's their loss. I guess that philosophy doesn't always work when it comes to meeting girls. I just would rather let my abilities speak for themselves, rather than going around trying to convince every human who happens to be female that I'm a worthy mate :rolleyes: Give me a break. What is this, the meat market?
/rant off

spacemanspiff
April 13, 2005, 03:35 PM
okay, thorn? i'm going to give you a free pass, since you at least know at least one chick, but in the future, never NEVER NEVER take pics of a girl in your room playing with your gi joes!

:neener:

Tinker
April 14, 2005, 10:41 AM
Hellbore,

I'm not a guru on life or anything, but I can offer what I've come to know.

Women are genetically wired for safety. At least most of them. Most "anti-leaning" women I've known were usually folks who'd lucklly never witnessed real violence or had only propaganda exposure to firearms through education or media.

My wife for example. She (when we met) leaned anti. She only tolerated my firearms. Through time, I helped her see that guns are just tools. Unfortunately, through her work, she was exposed to the aftermath of a home invasion/murder about 10 years ago. She came home crying and told me to buy her a pistol and to teach her how to use it. She also wanted to apply for a carry permit. Thoughts of what she'd witnessed and thoughts of the security of her own home rewired her safety instincts that instant. Suddenly she saw a gun as a good method of protection. In our two decades together she's even bought me a gun once because she knows how much I like to shoot.

The thing for you to do is not neccesarily find a "gun chick". Find a good hearted "smart chick". Find "the one". Then if she is, she'll see you're not a kook. She might even find a fondness for target practice herself.

If you enjoyed reading about "OT: How to meet girls who like guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!