Those safe-from-handguns Germans

PDA

peacefuljeffrey
April 5, 2005, 02:15 AM
Now, forget about the attack by a deranged former student a few years ago in which something like 18 people were killed including the murderer...

I just read in Monday's paper the following:

A man wielding a sword stormed into a Protestant church in Stuttgart, Germany, killing one person and injuring three, including a man whose hand was hacked off, police said.
There's no more to the story, sorry. Maybe there's something online.

No one with a brain should be surprised that where handguns are scarce, other means will be used to kill -- but more importantly, NO GOOD GUYS WILL HAVE GUNS WITH WHICH TO STOP VIOLENT ATTACKS BY DERANGED PEOPLE.

I take comfort in a story in the same day's paper, "Recent shootings fuel drive to ease gun laws." From that story:

Paul Bucher, the district attorney for the Wisconsin county where a man opened fire in a church service last month, killing seven people and himself (I love how they list him as separate from "people"!), has one answer to the deadly mass shootings across the country in recent weeks: more guns.

"The problems aren't the guns; it's the guns in the wrong hands," said Bucher, a Republican who recently announced his candidacy for Wisconsin attorney general. "We need to put more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens."

Throughout the U.S., efforts to expand or establish laws allowing concealed handguns have been fueled by horrifying shootings in the past month -- of the family of a federal judge in Chicago; at the church service in Wisconsin; at courthouses in Atlanta and Tyler, Texas; and the nation's second-deadliest school shooting, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, Minn.

If you enjoyed reading about "Those safe-from-handguns Germans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
arcticap
April 5, 2005, 03:28 AM
I sure don't know much about German gun laws, but check out this German gun auction site: www.egun.de From the looks of some of the guns they have for auction, somebody over there is doing some shooting. ;)

trooper
April 5, 2005, 03:39 AM
That's right... guns are plenty in Germany. Unfortunately, carry permits are not.

There are about 10 million registered guns in Germany, owned by sports shooters, hunters and collectors. However, in order to get permission to carry a gun in a public place you need to prove that you are considerably more threatened by a violent assault than the general public. Police officers can carry their service piece off-duty but most of them don't bother.

The results of this horrible event will be predictable: an unholy alliance of the governing social democrats, green treehuggers and christian conservatives will scream bloody murder and call for outlawing swords... :banghead:

Regards,

Trooper

Bear Gulch
April 5, 2005, 01:50 PM
60 Euro of a law rocket tube what a rip. I would assume that there are interesting C&Rs stashed about the country.

trooper
April 5, 2005, 02:17 PM
There are some... especially German and Russian WWII rifles. Guns are more expensive than in the states though.

Regards,

Trooper

Standing Wolf
April 5, 2005, 05:42 PM
We need to put more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Works for me!

jdberger
April 5, 2005, 07:55 PM
Guns are more expensive than in the states though.

No friggin way! An MP-44 (http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=411665) for 1,200 eur?

A matching s/n P-08 (http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=413076) for 416 eur?

pitter-patter my little heart... :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Those safe-from-handguns Germans" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!