Ever carry concealed and realize you left your license/permit?!

PDA

DigMe
April 5, 2005, 12:23 PM
man...that's a terrible feeling. Yesterday I was meeting a couple of guys at a coffee shop. I got to the shop and was going to buy something to drink and realized I had left my wallet in the other pants I'd been wearing that day. I was packing. I made sure to drive very carefully and obey the speed limit on the way home! Something as simple as me forgetting my wallet caused me to go from law-abiding citizen to law-breaking citizen.

This ever happen to you? Or even worse, has this ever happened and then you got pulled over or something?

I don't know what they would do. I wonder if I could get out of it by just appearing in court and showing my license and CHL? I've heard of incidents where someone was covered under insurance but just didn't have proof on them and was able to get out of it by showing up in court and presenting proof of insurance. Carrying a gun with no ID though...that could be a whole different world and it would really suck.

brad cook

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever carry concealed and realize you left your license/permit?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
george_co
April 5, 2005, 12:36 PM
Just last week I flew to N. Carolina. Got there, got my rental car, started driving to where I was going and went oh "shoot", or something like that. I had been on vacation in Cancun the week before, so no gun, I decided to take out my CCW permit and leave it at home. I couldn't remember for the life of me picking up my permit and putting it in my wallet when I left for N. Carolina.

So for a few brief minutes as I am trying to negotiate traffic and get on the right road I worried about what would happen if I got pulled over for a bad taillight. Out of state and no proof of permit. As soon as I could safely I removed my wallet and lo and behold there was my permit. I could breath again.

It is a sad state of affairs when we have to worry about whether or not we have piece of paper to excersize one of the Bill of Rights rights. :(

Parallax
April 5, 2005, 12:38 PM
I carry without a permit. I don't need permission to exercise my rights.

SJG26
April 5, 2005, 12:42 PM
Please forward the P.O. Box # for your cell block so we can send you a post card some day.........................

TallPine
April 5, 2005, 12:46 PM
I made sure to drive very carefully and obey the speed limit on the way home
What a novel idea! :cool:

Maybe if everyone would carry concealed without a permit while driving, the traffic accident rate would be cut to almost zero :p

Too Many Choices!?
April 5, 2005, 01:03 PM
I also on one time(don't know why I rushed) went out and all day had an unchambered Glock on my hip without knowing!!!! :cuss: !! I would of peed myself if I got into a situation and hear*click!*....Especially since I just knew the gun was loaded and chambered. Just goes to show always double check....

Dave P
April 5, 2005, 01:04 PM
I never carry a wallet with me, so I never have my permit. I am quite sure in FLA it is either a $20 fine or simple misdemeanor.

Dave

And don't forget what concealed means! :)

det.pat
April 5, 2005, 01:07 PM
i was on a search for a tossed weapon on a dark hillside when i noticed that anonther officer was wearing an empty holster. he had apparently been without his sidearm for 6 hours of a 8 hour shift and hadn't noticed. i laughed at him and covered so he could go home and get it.
pat

spacemanspiff
April 5, 2005, 01:11 PM
up here the law states you must have it with you (and yes, once or twice i have forgotten it), but now that alaska went to vermont style, technically its only necessary for an armed citizen to inform the peace officer that they are carrying concealed.
however, since the new 'vermont style' law doesnt address it specifically, a permit holder could be fined if found without it while carrying. i've asked the department that issues the permits, and they dont quite know so they suggested to err on the side of caution.

TallPine
April 5, 2005, 01:23 PM
Spiff, so what you are saying is that in Alaska:

1) if you don't have a permit then you don't need a permit

2) if you have a permit then you must have a permit

??

:confused:

spacemanspiff
April 5, 2005, 01:24 PM
i'm saying they didnt write in the law that permitholders no longer are required to have it on them when they are carrying.

non-permit holders are the only ones addressed by the law.

fjolnirsson
April 5, 2005, 02:04 PM
I carry without a permit. I don't need permission to exercise my rights.
Please forward the P.O. Box # for your cell block so we can send you a post card some day.........................

It's called civil disobedience. Similar to what Rosa Parks did.

I don't know about Florida, but in CA, it's only a misdemeanor. Sometimes in CA, the only way to stay safe is to break the law....
I'm not in a financial position to do the same, but I applaud Parallax for his choice. I only hope he gives a good account of himself if he ever faces court over this.

Sistema1927
April 5, 2005, 02:24 PM
Yep, I "forgot" to carry my permit for about 15 years.

(Of course, we didn't have such a thing in those days.)

50 Freak
April 5, 2005, 02:26 PM
Sometimes in CA, the only way to stay safe is to break the law....

hey I did the same thing for almost a decade. Only the last couple of years did I finally get my CCW.

Where were the cops when I was driving home and someone decided to use me on the motorcycle as a "skeet target" with his shotgun. Or the time some drunk "homie" decided to get in the passenger side of my car to teach me some "respect" because my girlfriend told him to ???? off when he tried to hit on her. That one ended with "homie" and I sitting in my car with guns pointed at eachother (I would have won... :evil: My gun was bigger 45 vs his .22 :evil: plus he was drunk out of his head and in my car univited...can you say CARJACKER).

I'm a true believer in "better to be trialed by 12 than carried by 6". And with something like only 10 CCW holders in San Francisco or a less than 15 in LA, you know your chances of getting one are nil to none. So you have to break the law or do it the way I got mine. Move out of both cities.

secamp32
April 5, 2005, 02:29 PM
was on a search for a tossed weapon on a dark hillside when i noticed that anonther officer was wearing an empty holster. he had apparently been without his sidearm for 6 hours of a 8 hour shift and hadn't noticed. i laughed at him and covered so he could go home and get it

I did that once although I noticed as soon as I got out of the car at Hq. Turned around and went home and got it. I've seen guys go out with unloaded guns, no guns, guns with the mags hanging out. :banghead:
Last month I went out to pickup a pizza. I put the glock in the fobus holster, which for me doesn't conceal well, threw my winter jacket over it and when I got here I realized I didn't have my shield or ID. First time in 20 years. Must be early onset ...

Doug Add
April 5, 2005, 02:46 PM
Twice. Got to the office a week or two ago only to discover I had left my wallet in the breast pocket of the jacket I wore the day before. As was said earlier, I drove cautiously on the way home for lunch.

The first time led to a bit more heart pounding, it happened about a year and a half ago. During the winter months I go over to our church early on Sunday mornings to set the heat at the right temperature. We had been burgled twice, so I always carried on my pre-dawn trips.

This particular time I forgot my wallet, so driver's license and CHP were at home. After setting the heat throughout the building I stepped out the back door of the kitchen to put something in the trash bin, and was met with bright lights from a Sheriff's Department car. I was startled by the presence of someone else out so early in the morning.

When I realized who it was I waved to him and quickly stepped back inside to place my Browning HP in a kitchen drawer. I then went back out and carried on a conversation with the deputy, thanking him for patrolling our property. Fortunately, it was the deputy who lives in a neighborhood across the road from us, so he knew me and I did not have to produce identification.

ZeroX
April 5, 2005, 02:51 PM
No, but I have forgotten my lunch card when I needed it the most (ie lunchtime).

svtruth
April 5, 2005, 02:54 PM
Why doesn't someone make a holster with a window for the paperwork?

PressCheck
April 5, 2005, 02:55 PM
Never!

Bear Gulch
April 5, 2005, 02:56 PM
Well there you go! Another case solved.

El Rojo
April 5, 2005, 02:57 PM
Actually, I think I have heard you don't have to have your permit on you at all times. I am sure it is helpful, but not necessary. Anyone in the PRK know if you have to have your permit on your person or not. I have gone about town a few times with my Glock but not my wallet. I don't worry about it too much, but I am sure an officer probably wouldn't look at it so casually if I had a Glock but no ID.

Double Maduro
April 5, 2005, 03:15 PM
Last friday, yep April Fools day, I was working security at a party in WA state.

About half way through I realized my wallet wasn't in my pocket. No DL, WA or OR permits with me.

When I left I put the weapon in the trunk.

Then on the opening day of duck season last year, I went to the bathroom before leaving home. As this required the dropping of pants I removed my CCW from the holster and went to put it on the shelf in front of the mirror, where I always put it, where I see it when I wash my hands. Problem was we had a friend stay over and she had her stuff all over the shelf.

Put it on the back of the toilet, on top of the reading material. Later, when I was putting on my waders, I found an empty holster. PANIC.

A quick call home and my wife said, "you forgot something this morning." Whew!

DM

Evil_Ed
April 5, 2005, 04:29 PM
I have never left my CC permit behind, it is in the same little card wallet that holds my DL and credit cards. I HAVE, however, left my gun at home on 2 occasions and had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I realized I didn't have it with me. It's a nasty feeling when you suddenly realize that you don't have your "fire extinguisher" handy in case of emergency.

Hkmp5sd
April 5, 2005, 04:29 PM
It's called civil disobedience. Similar to what Rosa Parks did.

I don't know about Florida, but in CA, it's only a misdemeanor. Sometimes in CA, the only way to stay safe is to break the law....

Don't know about CA, but in Florida, it is only a second degree misdemeanor carrying a fine of $500 and 60 days in jail.

Oleg Volk
April 5, 2005, 04:35 PM
Might be a good idea to make a photocoy of the card and have that as backup (similar to what people do with NFA paperwork)

El Tejon
April 5, 2005, 04:42 PM
And leave it in the glovebox in your cars.

Never forgot the license. I did forget the pistol once! :what:

Otherguy Overby
April 5, 2005, 04:56 PM
Several people've mentioned CCW is only a misdemeanor in CA.

Well, kinda, sorta.

A second occurance may be considered a felony.

CCW in a car brings up a bunch of related charges which could get you into a felony charge or two.

There are added clauses stating things like an unregistered pistol may increase the charge to a felony. What about someone from out of state, or a part time resident?

Could there also be a problem with carrying a pistol not on the AG's "approved" list?

Ooops, I almost forgot about the 10 round magazine limit, and extra charges for that "offense".

And lastly, there's a good chance you'll never get the firearm back.

UberPhLuBB
April 5, 2005, 05:07 PM
Referring to the original post, assuming this never happens in California you have the luxury of simply removing your handgun from your person and leaving it unloaded in your car while you go retrieve your carry card. California would have the additional step of locking either the ammo or the pistol in the trunk.

psyopspec
April 5, 2005, 05:21 PM
In North Dakota, you need not have the card with you while carrying. Legally you are only required to produce it if ordered to do so by a LEO. I've never forgotten my permit, but if I did and realized it while I was out, I'd be legal unless I came in contact with a cop who wanted to see it.

MikeIsaj
April 5, 2005, 05:29 PM
When are you people in California going to take your state back? I lived out there in '81 and I don't remember all these problems.

I honestly have never forgotten my CCW. I keep it behind my DL which is always in my wallet and I always carry my wallet. If I don't it is immediatly noticed because it is always there. I have forgotten to renew once because in 15 years I've never had to show it to anyone.

That said, I've probably jinxed myself now and will forget it this week.

goalie
April 5, 2005, 05:47 PM
I was going to play in a hockey tournament in New Richmond, WI, a few weekends ago. I got right to the border and realized it would be illegal to carry in WI at all. I was pretty happy I have a little lock-box chained to my seat where I could quickly stow it, as I would not have carried into the rink (where would you leave the gun, in your hockey bag unattended???) and someone might have noticed me fiddling with it in the parking lot.

M2 Carbine
April 5, 2005, 06:15 PM
I've only forgot my wallet one time, long before the TX CHL, and darned if there wasn't a license check stop set up on the way home.
I was driving a motorcycle.
I told the Trooper I forgot my wallet and he just said no problem.

After getting the CHL I was stopped at least a dozen times for speeding, etc, by everyone from infamous speed traps, to Sheriffs to the State Police.
Every time I showed my CHL (TX requirement), their attitudes would change and we started just shooting the bull. Maybe I was just lucky to get stopped by a lot of pro gun police. :)

BTW, I didn't try to speed. I drove 400+ miles to work at all hours and usually got caught because I was tired and not paying attention.

Hkmp5sd
April 5, 2005, 06:18 PM
Never forgot the license. I did forget the pistol once!
Never forgot the pistol. I did forget the magazine once. :) If you're gonna "top off" your magazine, be sure to put it back in the gun and not lay it on the dresser.

Zach S
April 5, 2005, 06:19 PM
Once or twice.

Standing Wolf
April 5, 2005, 06:35 PM
I inexplicably forgot my wallet some years ago on my way to a job interview. I was meeting the woman at a coffee shop, and had to ask her to treat. Embarrassing? Oh, yes!

Since then, I've made a habit of pausing just inside the door whenever I leave the house. I shake myself down to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

DigMe
April 5, 2005, 06:56 PM
I shake myself down to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

Do you make yourself put your hands on the wall and "spread 'em?"

:p

brad cook

Mannlicher
April 5, 2005, 08:20 PM
I have walked out a few times without my billfold, but armed. Never bothered me a bit. CCW has been available in Florida for less than 10 years, and I have carried something daily for the past 40.................

50 Freak
April 5, 2005, 08:22 PM
I shake myself down to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

I do the same thing...Wallet, Gun, Keys, Cell, Money Clip, Knife

I still always seem to forget one thing or another. :(

justice4all
April 5, 2005, 09:45 PM
I imagine that most deputy DAs have enough work to do that they would not waste their time going after someone who had a CWP, but simply forgot it one day.

If anyone thinks that the Man is out there waiting for innocent people to make minor mistakes, just so He can hammer them, they don't know how busy most prosecutors are with real criminals.

Lennyjoe
April 5, 2005, 10:17 PM
Oh yea. It has happened to me several times. Good thing was that every time I was like 1 block from the house. As I whip the car around the wife says, what did you forget.

sturmruger
April 5, 2005, 10:22 PM
I went almost two full months without my permit!! If I remember correctly in the State of MN it is only a $25 fine, but they will most likely take your gun away until they know for sure that you really have a permit. I couldn't get a new one until this whole court thing shakes out.

fjolnirsson
April 5, 2005, 11:08 PM
Several people've mentioned CCW is only a misdemeanor in CA.

Well, kinda, sorta.

A second occurance may be considered a felony.

CCW in a car brings up a bunch of related charges which could get you into a felony charge or two.

There are added clauses stating things like an unregistered pistol may increase the charge to a felony. What about someone from out of state, or a part time resident?

Could there also be a problem with carrying a pistol not on the AG's "approved" list?

Ooops, I almost forgot about the 10 round magazine limit, and extra charges for that "offense".

And lastly, there's a good chance you'll never get the firearm back.

Yep. But it's better than me or my family dying at the hands of some thug, while I stand there (relatively) unarmed.

However, I've left Kommiefornia behind for greener shores. I'll never go back for any reason, unless pigs fly and it's legal for me to CCW there.
So I no longer have to worry about it.

Hawkmoon
April 6, 2005, 12:08 AM
I forgot the permit once. As someone else commented, I drove very carefully for the remainder of the day.

I've never forgotten my permit, but if I did and realized it while I was out, I'd be legal unless I came in contact with a cop who wanted to see it.
And then? ...

psyopspec
April 6, 2005, 02:06 AM
Quote:
I've never forgotten my permit, but if I did and realized it while I was out, I'd be legal unless I came in contact with a cop who wanted to see it.

And then? ...

First I don't forget it. Second, I behave myself so as not to attract any unwanted attention. Third, if I do get pulled over, I do not inform the officer that I'm carrying since I'm not required to. It would take something extreme to break through all three safeguards, and though I'm not infallible I do what I can to stay on the safe side of them, permit or no. That said, the answer to your question is, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Stratford Holdings
April 6, 2005, 02:06 AM
Happens every now and then when I'm changing clothes for an event. I get all worked up in changing and looking good that I forget to pull the wallet, cell phone, and pda out of the old pair.

W Turner
April 6, 2005, 10:26 AM
I have forgotten my wallet a few times, but it has only been when jumping in the car to run to my parents' house that's only 1/8 of a mile down the road in a very rural county with few deputies. Not really a big concern. To give you an idea, over the weekend, I did a lot of work outside and didn't think twice about open carrying in my yard and theirs (my dad doesn't mind) when going back and forth.

I have however lost my wallet completely before and that is why I now keep a single page that has copies of my DL, CCW permit, Elk's membership card and Health Insurance Cards in each vehicle. Just an extra piece of insurance.

W

Bopleo
April 6, 2005, 01:45 PM
Nope but i was carrying concealed and realized i left my badge, and agency id at home.

rms/pa
April 6, 2005, 07:07 PM
BTDT,left thegun,left the wallet... arrgh

pumped 25$ worth of gas ... no wallet....akkk
fortunately this was the same clerk i had driven back to last week after she forgot to charge me for the gas.

cheap holster no retention.... going into the can check... no gun akkkk .on the floor of the car whew!

lesson learned. hard way as ususal.

rms/pa

ARGarrison
April 7, 2005, 12:03 AM
Yes, most noteable was the first time. I was making a quick trip into town to the drugstore before a snow storm. While waiting on the clerks to catch up with everybody else trying to beat the snow storm, who would walk in but the County Sheriff himself. Stopped and talked to him a while, before getting called to counter. I relized then I'd left my wallet at home. Had the check book, but no wallet. Paid and got on down the road.

Valkman
April 7, 2005, 12:10 AM
I've left my wallet at home a couple of times and gone back and got it. Also left the gun home, but never both at the same time! :p

Here it's a $25 fine to be caught without it - kind of like being caught without your DL, I think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ever carry concealed and realize you left your license/permit?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!