Friendly Fire (yikes!)

PDA

ballistic gelatin
March 13, 2003, 12:38 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20030313/mdf230783.jpg

An Israeli policeman looks at the car in which two Israeli armed guards were killed by Israeli soldiers in an friendly-fire incident near the West-Bank settlement of Pnei Hever March 13, 2003. Israeli soldiers and a helicopter gunship shot dead the two Israeli armed guards in the West Bank after mistaking them for Palestinian gunmen, the army said.

If you enjoyed reading about "Friendly Fire (yikes!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kharn
March 13, 2003, 12:45 PM
I'd say someone had a bad day. It doesnt look like the helicopter did much, unless it was just door gunners, 20mm or 30mm would have caused a lot more damage.

Kharn

geekWithA.45
March 13, 2003, 12:50 PM
So what, exactly, where the rules of engagement here?

Where the guards in the car pointing their weapons at the helicopter or anyone else?

Or where the ROE something like shoot anyone with a gun who doesn't look like an Isreali?

Yohan
March 13, 2003, 12:50 PM
I'm surprised the car windows didn't shatter! From all the movies I've seen- this must have been the work of a .22 caliber rifle- cause anything bigger than that will blow the windshield to pieces or leave holes and then the driver's all "Oh goD!!!!" and his sidekick will lean out the sidedoor and he's like "BAm! BAM!! BAM!" and then he'll NAIL the bad guy in the head and the bad guy's car's all like "KAAAPUUUUCCCCCH" and it blows up and the good guy's like "Woah! that was a close one!!" and his sidekick's like "lol_yeah"

El Tejon
March 13, 2003, 12:51 PM
How do you say "Rule #4!" in Hebrew?

voilsb
March 13, 2003, 01:16 PM
yohan said:
I'm surprised the car windows didn't shatter! From all the movies I've seen- this must have been the work of a .22 caliber rifle- cause anything bigger than that will blow the windshield to pieces or leave holes and then the driver's all "Oh goD!!!!" and his sidekick will lean out the sidedoor and he's like "BAm! BAM!! BAM!" and then he'll NAIL the bad guy in the head and the bad guy's car's all like "KAAAPUUUUCCCCCH" and it blows up and the good guy's like "Woah! that was a close one!!" and his sidekick's like "lol_yeah"dude, that's probably the funniest thing I've read in a while. that's awesome

cratz2
March 13, 2003, 01:24 PM
dude, that's probably the funniest thing I've read in a while. that's awesome

Sounds like Yohan's impersonation of Scott Evil. :p

Justin
March 13, 2003, 04:29 PM
Yohan- that's the funniest stream of consciousness writing I've read in quite some time. Just one question: How much Mountain Dew did you drink before writing that?

SquirrelNuts
March 13, 2003, 05:20 PM
Well, a pellet gun will knock out the side windows of a car with a few shots because it is fasety glass (like what shower doors are made of). If they break, they go into small pieces rather than large shards to keep from cutting you badly. The windshield is laminated glass which is designed to stay together. You do not want a face full of shards at 55 MPH when a rock hits your windshield.

I wonder if this is their version of the "pink slip."

-SquirrleNuts

SquirrelNuts
March 13, 2003, 05:23 PM
I like Yohan's post. I like the last part where the sidekick actually says "lol"

A friend's mother that spends a lot of time online actually said "LOL" one day when she heard something funny.

-SquirrelNuts

Chipperman
March 13, 2003, 05:58 PM
Very Sad.

"because it is fasety glass "

Is that when your face gets splattered all over it?

Chaz
March 13, 2003, 05:58 PM
Darn gravel trucks!!

I thought short controlled bursts were most effective. :what:

seeker_two
March 13, 2003, 06:40 PM
Somedays, the daily commute is heck...

coonan357
March 13, 2003, 07:34 PM
opps honest sarge I didn't know it was loaded ....

Redlg155
March 13, 2003, 07:56 PM
. Israeli soldiers and a helicopter gunship shot dead the two Israeli armed guards in the West Bank after mistaking them for Palestinian gunmen, the army said.

Bummer. I imagine they had an interesting conversation in that car.

"Hey buddy, here comes an Army chopper. Dangit..I forgot my Yarmulka at home. I must have left it on the couch. Did you remember to bring yours?" :D

Good Shooting
RED

cool45auto
March 13, 2003, 09:04 PM
If it was a door gunner he must have been like that one in "Full Metal Jacket"-

"Get some! Get some!":rolleyes:

ballistic gelatin
March 13, 2003, 09:15 PM
anyone who runs is a palestinian, anyone who stands still is a well trained palestinian.

blades67
March 13, 2003, 09:15 PM
"Friendly Fire" isn't. It was a terrible mistake, but it happens sometimes.:(

DeputyVaughn
March 14, 2003, 12:01 AM
I received an e-mail regarding this incident earlier today. This is the pertainent paragraphs:

"At about 1:00 this afternoon, two Israelis were killed by Israeli forces south of the Ma'ale Hever community, several miles outside of Hebron.

According to security and media sources, the IDF had intelligence information concerning a possible terror attack in southern Hebron Hills region. Accordingly, forces were on high alert. An automobile, whose occupants were seen to be armed, was spotted, and reportedly called upon to stop. Rather than stop the car continued driving and one of the passengers fled. At that time IDF soldiers opened fire, killing both of the men. Only later did they determine that the two men were not Arab terrorists, rather they were Israelis.

The two men were guards at an antenna site, adjacent to the site where they were killed. "

It is truly a tragedy that the IDF soldiers walk around in such a state of alert that this kind of thing is bound to happen sooner or later.

Scott

Yohan
March 14, 2003, 12:04 AM
blades, I agree-
If that's friendly, then I'd hate to see what un-friendly is like.

http://www.game.uk.com/guideto/max_payne_300_4.jpg

geekWithA.45
March 14, 2003, 12:05 AM
I read a similiar report, which added that the command to stop was issued in Arabic, a language not understood by the guards.

My take on it was that a military ROE was applied to what should have been a police situation.

Ryder
March 14, 2003, 03:02 AM
dawn.com story:

..."troops at Pnei Hever settlement, southeast of the city of Al Khalil, spotted a suspicious vehicle approaching from around a nearby hill.

"The unit ordered the car to stop, and after identifying the occupant as armed, shot and killed him," an army statement said. "After hearing the gunfire, a second armed man ran off (from the hill). He was shot dead by a helicopter gunship."

waterdog
March 14, 2003, 05:28 PM
Looks like un-friendly fire to me.

waterdog

If you enjoyed reading about "Friendly Fire (yikes!)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!