Colorado Members ?

PDA

one-shot-one
April 7, 2005, 07:58 AM
ok, there is a chance that my daughter will be going to the fine arts festival in denver co. in august.
i know that my ccl is vaild there, but any local "extra" advice is welcome.
now that i have kept this gun related,
any advice on places to fish fairly close to denver, good tackle shops to get info. for me and my son on the days my daughter is not proforming?

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado Members ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
one-shot-one
April 7, 2005, 11:07 AM
bump

Zak Smith
April 7, 2005, 12:05 PM
Denver is fascist, keep it concealed. There's lots of stuff to do around here.

Jay Kominek
April 7, 2005, 12:11 PM
i know that my ccl is vaild there, but any local "extra" advice is welcome.
Denver doesn't like guns. Avoiding it is your best plan.
Failing that, so long as you've checked the latest Denver-related info on the packing.org Colorado page, you're as prepared as you're going to be.

Can't help you with the fishing, I'm afraid.

Larry Ashcraft
April 7, 2005, 12:24 PM
What kind of fishing? River, stream, lake? I'm 100 miles to the south so I can't help much with personal experience, but I know ther is plenty of high quality fishing within 100 miles of Denver.

Check this out: http://wildlife.state.co.us/

Rob Pincus
April 7, 2005, 12:28 PM
Can't comment on the fishing on the front range, but if you head south and turn right on Hwy 50, the Gunnison offers great fishing. Not an afternoon trip from Denver, but maybe an extension to your trip...

one-shot-one
April 7, 2005, 02:02 PM
thanks guys i found a web site called big trout . com that helped .
so denver cops probably the worst and rual areas better sound like most states. spending two nites near estes park but then stuck in down town denver the rest of the week, but i can drive a couple of hours in any direction and see some nice views. wife and daughter will be busy 9am - 5pm mon. - fri. so me and son will see what we can find.
larry what ever is biting but perfer to catch things i can't find in east tx.

Larry Ashcraft
April 7, 2005, 02:13 PM
two nites near estes park
The Big Thompson runs from Estes Park toward Loveland. I'm sure there is some fishing there.

one-shot-one
April 7, 2005, 02:54 PM
i'll give it a look.

Morgan
April 8, 2005, 12:58 AM
Denver isn't that bad. Most of the patrol division is pro-ccw.

Where is this festival to be held? I can give you a heads up on areas to avoid.

one-shot-one
April 10, 2005, 04:22 PM
down town denver, colorado convention center.

Morgan
April 10, 2005, 06:19 PM
Oh, boy. That's my district, and it's a fairly high crime area.

Mostly, avoid Lower Downtown and the east end of the 16th Street Mall after 1am on Friday and Saturday. Lots of gang twits, assaults, etc. It's a rare weekend when shots are not fired in LoDo during the out-crowd. Shootings and stabbings are not uncommon, assaults and fights by the dozens.

The 16th Street Mall has become a haven for "mall rats", semi-homeless teens and low-grade thugs. One shot another one Thursday. Drug dealing, homelessness, and auto theft/theft from autos are extremely common in this Liberal Democat Utopia.

That said, stay aware and avoid the bar out-crowd times and you should be fine. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Dan Morris
April 10, 2005, 07:02 PM
Morgan has it tabbed, my office is also in Dist 6. Troops on street there are
pretty pro.Give me a email when the time comes closer and we'll see what we can suggest as to fishing.
Dan
:)

one-shot-one
April 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
the hotel will be right near the convention center, and activities will end by 8pm, so as long as i have a safe place to park my car..........

Ginger
April 11, 2005, 01:53 PM
The fishing depends on how much time you have and where you're willing to drive.

Lowell Ponds offers weirdly good bass fishing just minutes from downtown. There are several reservoirs (Cherry Creek, Aurora) just a short drive away. Better (or at least classier) fishing is fairly close. Just depends on your time and taste.

What kind of tackle are you looking for? We have stores ranging from Super Ultra Surplus Discount types to the handmade bamboo fly rod type.

Denver county is currently trying to fight the statewide standards. I've never noticed any of those gun-free zone signs except around schools so you should be okay.

one-shot-one
April 11, 2005, 02:48 PM
probably just going to throw a couple of lite spinning rod in the trunk with some small mepps rooster tail and spoons..........

bratch
April 11, 2005, 03:03 PM
As an Okie I had abysmal luck fishing in Denver last summer. I went probably a half dozen times and caught about as many fish.

I tried Quincy, Aurora, and Chetwood (I think; the lake I went to was SW of Denver and one of the few in the area that allows power boats)

Chetwood (?) was my favorite mainly because it was in the foothills and had prettier scenary.

Be prepared to pay. You have to buy the out of state liscense and pay to fish at the lakes.

I never tried the mountains.

I worked on the mall and there are lots of bums. I'll be back there this summer as well.

I know last summer there was a string of random violence where people were getting jumped walking out of bars at closing. So the above advice is very good.

Infidel
April 11, 2005, 04:19 PM
Chetwood (?)
That would be Chatfield State Park (and reservoir) (http://parks.state.co.us/default.asp?parkID=78&action=park).
Licenses are available online: Total Licensing System (http://wildlife.state.co.us/total_licensing/)
There is some information at Colorado Dept. of Wildlife,--Fishing (http://wildlife.state.co.us/fishing/)

Lower Downtown used to be my favorite part of the downtown area, until they "improved" it with the baseball thingie and all the trendy sports bars. Other than the already mentioned flurry of altercations near the bars a while back, I don't think of it as a dangerous area. Trendy, overpriced, overdeveloped, yes. On the other hand, I don't particularly like being downtown at night. And that definitely includes the area around the Convention Center and Adam's Mark hotel. That's probably because it's unfamiliar territory, more or less.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado Members ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!