such a helpless feeling?

PDA

zahc
April 7, 2005, 08:51 PM
I'm going to college. Today I was walking home and some kids had some mild form of fireworks they were playing with. I recognized it as such immediately but it got me thinking.

School shootings happen, they could happen here, they could happen today. This class. Right now someone could come in and start shooting. You hear stories like that, people go on a rampage and kill a prof and then off themselves. This happens.

What would I do if it did? I would be helpless. I would be another person hiding behind a desk, another sheep for the slaughter. I could do nothing. Given freedom I would carry. I WOULD have a chance.

Weapon control laws truely are evil.

If you enjoyed reading about "such a helpless feeling?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bear Gulch
April 7, 2005, 09:01 PM
When I went back to college after leaving the army, I carried. It was in direct violation of school policy and I cannot condone it, but I did it.

mbs357
April 7, 2005, 09:02 PM
Yes, they are.

Bear Gulch
April 7, 2005, 09:17 PM
BTW I had a vaild CCW permit. I just couldn't figure out why I was considered by the state to be safe to carry off campus, but would be a menace on campus!

q102josh
April 7, 2005, 09:22 PM
BTW I had a vaild CCW permit. I just couldn't figure out why I was considered by the state to be safe to carry off campus, but would be a menace on campus!

because on a college campus, criminals' rights to rape and murder people shall not be infringed upon, and a crazy's right to go on a rampage is absolutely unalienable. interference with justful rape and murder is just ludicrious on a criminal's haven, i mean college campus. how dare we interfere with their killing of innocent people, those poor criminals.

Bear Gulch
April 7, 2005, 09:27 PM
I hard a tough time as it was I went from being an MP to a student in 5 days. I really resented being looked on as "too stupid " to be responsible with a gun a week after having carried on every day as part of my job.

Crime on campus was rampant, because they were giving the predators free reign.

DelayedReaction
April 7, 2005, 09:54 PM
UMD doesn't know how to handle CCW permits, because in Maryland they're nearly impossible to find. I suspect that given enough push they would be okay with it.

Bear Gulch
April 7, 2005, 10:02 PM
As the old saying goes, it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Standing Wolf
April 7, 2005, 10:34 PM
Weapon control laws truely are evil.

Truly.

zahc
April 7, 2005, 10:57 PM
I already carry a nice knife in direct violation of school policy, FWTW.

Bear Gulch
April 7, 2005, 11:09 PM
You know, I never even would have though of that. I have packed a Uncle Henry and a Gerber tool every day of my life since entering College. I would probably leave my house without my pants first. But I never really thought of them as WEAPONS they are tools.

zahc
April 7, 2005, 11:15 PM
Oh yes, absolutely, they are tools, I use mine for stripping wires in physics lab.....

Of course there are better tools for stripping wire than a spyderco endura, but hey.

psyopspec
April 7, 2005, 11:33 PM
Bear Gulch, I know the feeling. While I live and carry in North Dakota, my college is in Minnesota. The permits are tough (and expensive) to get right now, so no carry in that state let alone on campus. It's a personal choice I made at the expense of an 80k scholarship. I do, however, always have a knife and flashlight on me whenever and wherever I go. If I go down in a school shooting, I'll go down having spilled their blood too.

Bear Gulch
April 8, 2005, 10:24 AM
Yep, You're considered bright enough to be at school, but stick a gun in your hand and you'll become a hopeless sociopath. The modern college campus is one of the few places where you'll find Marxism being practised on a daily basis. Let's discourage excellence.

SpookyPistolero
April 8, 2005, 10:33 AM
I go to college in KY. I have carried my knife and light always and occassionally my Glock. Guess where our rashes of home invasions and rapes have gone down? Thats right, all on campus. Why? Because no one is legally allowed to defend themselves. I keep the Glock in my truck. I did find that my last backpack had one of those CD player compartments on the last backpack I got. It's at the top with a hidden zipper, hidden compartment, so the Glock stayed there during night classes. Who would know??

buy guns
April 8, 2005, 10:41 AM
i used to carry my 1911 in my glovebox until i was randomly pulled over on campus and illegally searched. of course i was lucky enough to have my ruger 22/45 in the truck along with some ammo as i was going to the range the next day. i got the pleasure of sitting in jail for two days in an orange jumpsuit. i was charged with a 3rd degree felony.

the media had a field day after they heard a student was caught on school with a "military style handgun, .22 caliber rifle, and a 600 round cache of ammunition." someone i know in boston called me and told me they did a report about me there (when this happened in florida). my arraignment was last monday and my lawayer got the case dismissed, luckily. hopefully i will get my guns back soon.

As the old saying goes, it is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

ha, id rather go to my grave than go back to jail.

SpookyPistolero
April 8, 2005, 11:01 AM
That is absolutely hideous, Buy guns. I don't know what the law is in Florida, but I have always kept a print-out of the Kentucky statute stating that no institution may bar an individual from keeping a handgun concealed in their glovebox. Not that laws ever stopped the police machine from making unlawful arrests...

My sincerest hopes that you get your weapons back-

buy guns
April 8, 2005, 11:25 AM
if i had been driving anywhere else, it would have been perfectly legal.

but being that it was on a school campus, it becomes a felony.

and it doesnt help that i am only 20. you know you cant trust kids with guns these days :rolleyes:

thumbody
April 8, 2005, 11:26 AM
They are just preparing you for the real world.Many companies have a no weapons policy.

The Grand Inquisitor
April 8, 2005, 11:33 AM
I'm a student myself and I don't really worry about it. Having a gun doesn't always equalize a situation and if a shooting happens when you are nearby, what says you can't tackle a guy from behind or something similiar.

I wish I could carry at all, but I don't think you should lose sleep over not being able to carry in class.

PS - I lived at an apartment owned by the University about a year back, and I wasn't allowed to have any firearms there.....and...well, you guys can fill in the blanks...

RyanM
April 8, 2005, 11:38 AM
Right now I carry a knife and a Comtech Stinger on campus. No one's ever noticed either. And considering the reactions of certain classmates to my Leatherman Micra, I'm trying to keep it that way.

TechBrute
April 8, 2005, 11:46 AM
As people around here like to say, "Concealed means concealed."

BTW, if I was ever unarmed and confronted by an armed person, I hope I'd have the nerve/b@lls/whatever to attack the person. I also hope that someone else would follow suit. I may go down, but I want to go down fighting.

Parallax
April 8, 2005, 12:16 PM
i used to carry my 1911 in my glovebox until i was randomly pulled over on campus and illegally searched. of course i was lucky enough to have my ruger 22/45 in the truck along with some ammo as i was going to the range the next day. i got the pleasure of sitting in jail for two days in an orange jumpsuit. i was charged with a 3rd degree felony.

the media had a field day after they heard a student was caught on school with a "military style handgun, .22 caliber rifle, and a 600 round cache of ammunition." someone i know in boston called me and told me they did a report about me there (when this happened in florida). my arraignment was last monday and my lawayer got the case dismissed, luckily. hopefully i will get my guns back soon.

I think I live right near the school where this happened. I won't name it but, is it near an arena?

Bear Gulch
April 8, 2005, 12:37 PM
Buy the point is the charges were dropped. I believe that the system works, mostly anyways. Being in it sucks but with the opportunity, we can prove to normal rational people that the policy is bunk and that we are just normal folk going about our business. Based on yur experience any student who is going hunting after class is at risk if teir cased rifle is in their trunk.

If you enjoyed reading about "such a helpless feeling?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!