When your wife says "No!"

PDA

hotbarrelmama
April 7, 2005, 10:38 PM
Hi, my name is Rachel and I'm new to this website. I have been married for 5 years and we have a beautiful, smart 4 year old daughter. Saying that, I also want to say I NEVER thought I would marry a gun advocate.

My father was never into hunting or target shoting, but he was never against it. We just didn't have guns in the house, and they weren't in our discussions, as we were best friends. All I ever knew about guns was that they were harmless unless you pointed it at someone and the person holding it was the weapon, not the gun.

So when my brand new husband and I came home from our honeymoon and he told me he had to move over his gun safe from his mother's house I said, "NO WAY!" There was going to be NO way that he was going to bring a GUN into our house! I mean what if something happend?? I was VERY afraid. After a long talk over a few days, he hauled it over and mostly against my will. Granted it was just a .410, .22, .243, all long guns, they were still guns.

So there it was, we had guns in the house, this was new for me. It wasn't until over a year later when the issue of owning handguns was under discussion. I lost. In fact thinking back, I don't think it was much of a discussion, he just went out and bought it when he got his purchase permit.

So, now we have it. We have long guns and handguns in the house. I don't know how to use them or even care to use them. In fact, I'd like to go back to the guy I married, not the guy that showed up in the house after the honeymoon! What am I going to do?? I have guns in the house and again I don't know how to use them. What if something happened and I need to use it? I mean, not to be conceded, but I'm not ugly by any means. So we are back at the question what do I do?

After a long dicussion, in which I did a lot of kicking and screaming, my husband took me to the range for the very first time. As we walk in, I notice first: not the cleanest place, second: not ONE woman, third: EVERYONE is starring at me, fourth: OH MY! I am at a GUN range!!

We paid our fee and he walks me over to a few sets of doors and into the range. As we stand there at the stall, my heart is racing and I'm scared to death. My husband shows me the gun and tells me to remember what he showed me at home about putting the magazine in and to watch my finger, etc. My finger does NOT start on the trigger. I stand there...scared to death of a paper target. About 4 minutes of me standing staring at the ferocious paper target, I moved my finger from the slide and put my finger on the trigger, exhale and shoot...the next thing I remember is being hit!

OH NO I'm hit!! Then I hear laughing, it was only the shell casing...embrassed I put down the gun and I vowed never to touch it again, it's "too scary, and I can't, I can't do this! NO!" After a little loving, but firm "coaching" I picked up the gun again. This time, note to self, move over left a little more so a hot shell casing doesn't hit me. I shot again this time it only took a few minutes to shoot, next thing I know the magazine is gone! Hey, maybe next time I'll even hit the target! After 45 minutes and about 150 rounds later, I'm getting the hang of this.

I finally starting thinking about the paper target. It was someone, someone trying to hurt me or my family. I was determined to hit that target and make that someone stop! It wasn't about holding or using a gun. It was about me! My family! An unknown circumstance. I know now how to use the gun, were it's kept, how to load it, clean it, and now I even have my carry permit.

I carry. I carry to work, from work, shopping. My friends all know I'm a killer shot. But if it hadn't been for the loving way my husband brought up the subject, persued it, cheered me on when I did decide to go to the range and shoot, I would had done like many other wifes had/have done and said "NO!" What's been laid on my heart is that women, espeically wifes need to know that guns aren't the weapon, the person behind it is. Being ignorant about how to use a gun doesn't make guns go away. It makes it more dangerous for them and their families. So when your wifes so "NO!" don't yell, don't get upset, don't ignore, don't think it's just for you but lovingly tell her it's for her. Her safety and your kids, they need to know how to use a gun, especially if it's in the house.

If you enjoyed reading about "When your wife says "No!"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fjolnirsson
April 7, 2005, 10:44 PM
Bravo!
Good for you!
Be sure to thank your husband from us.
And welcome to THR!

MacPelto
April 7, 2005, 10:46 PM
Well! Good on him, good on you, and welcome to The High Road, Rachel.
Stick around, you're almost guaranteed to learn some more, and you'll most likely teach somebody some things too.

Mac

20cows
April 7, 2005, 10:48 PM
How long did it take for the transition to go to completion? Surely, not in just one session. (That would just be too fantastic to contemplate!)

Bear Gulch
April 7, 2005, 10:49 PM
Welcome. I think we all fear that we haven't experienced before.

Daemon688
April 7, 2005, 10:53 PM
We need more stories like this, another convert :D

P95Carry
April 7, 2005, 10:53 PM
Rachel

A mega, blisteringly huge welcome to THR!!! :)

A story to warm the heart of this old shooter ... all that and you have a carry permit too - KUDOS to you. I'd like to think you are typical of quite a few ladies, who with loving help from their spouse have managed to overcome the ''evil gun'' syndrome and finish up in control, and some.

My wife, bless her, got her CCW not too long ago - and is due a range trip very soon ... she is gutsy and sensible - something I have managed to encourage over time regarding guns ... such that I have now the utmost confidence in her.

I dearly wish more ladies would ''join the fold'' - and lose that awful ''guns are bad'' thing - and integrate into the armed polite society. I again welcome you.

Please stay - enjoy - and post a bit. :)

DigMe
April 7, 2005, 10:57 PM
What an inspiring story! Too bad you're not friends with my wife!

Just kidding..she's not against guns but was a little skeptical when we got married. Now she knows how to use them but she doesn't have a carry license or her own gun. At some point I'm going to buy her one though.

brad cook

psyopspec
April 7, 2005, 11:06 PM
Wow, another convertion! See, fellow board members, it is possible. Thanks for sharing your story!

hotbarrelmama
April 7, 2005, 11:28 PM
Well to answer a few questions. My first range experience was in Sept '01 and I liked shooting, but more than I like shooting, I like the respect I got for being there and the smile it gave my husband. He took me a few more times over a few months and then he bought a Carbine .9mm, with tactical sights. To be quite honest I was livid he spent that much a gun, and I felt there was no point to it. Well, that was before I shot it. We both joke that it's mine. Do to me LOVING it, and being a better shot than he is with it. Basically the Carbine was how I converted. I love shotting it and anything within 50 yards I hit dead on. Since we bought that in Jan '02, I've been into guns. And I feel I'm quite the 2 A woman.

Kim
April 7, 2005, 11:34 PM
Good for you. As a woman I am amazed how many women have a negative view of firearms. I hope many more realize what you have. Women have an innate ability to fight for their children but unfortunately many deprive themselve of a very simple and effective and sometimes life saving way to do so-------with a firearm. I get a very sick and angry feeling when I read in the newspapers of women being killed and their children being killed and the circumstances seem to me to point out that "if only she had a firearm" maybe she would have survived. Most of these murders are brutial. Now I had a different experience than you. My Dad gave me my first firearm (a handgun) at age 18 as I was going away to college. He made sure I knew how to use it and when. I think that was one of the most loving things he did for me.
By the way my Dad is now gone but my 73 year old mom carries a handgun with her and I make sure she practices----just in case. I do that as a act of love for my Mom and I know my Dad would approve. ;)

hotbarrelmama
April 7, 2005, 11:46 PM
Thank you Kim,

I'm so glad to see another woman, feel the same way I do. God bless your dad, maybe our dad's are hanging out. ;)

I would like to get my mom to the range. She is a widow and I have followed her home and "checked" out her place when it's late. It would be nice to know that she could do something if someone were to attack her. So nice to hear about more women! :) Thank you!

Shorts
April 7, 2005, 11:53 PM
Glad to hear you and your hubby enjoy shooting together. It always makes buying new toys a little less painful :D

txgho1911
April 7, 2005, 11:57 PM
Snif snif,
I'm so happy. Someone give me a case of tissue.
Welcome home Racheal. My wife doesn't understand. You are so special.

pax
April 8, 2005, 12:01 AM
Welcome to THR, Rachel. Stay long, post lots. :)

pax,

Kathy

sm
April 8, 2005, 12:17 AM
Rachel, Welcome to THR!

I waiting for the post where Rachel buys a bigger gun safe for HER guns...and surprises her husband.

"But honey - It was on sale" :D

jsalcedo
April 8, 2005, 12:22 AM
Good for you. We need all the new friends we can get. :)

The very first gift I gave my girlfriend (now wife of 15 years) was a handgun.

She thought it a little strange as a first gift instead of flowers or jewelry but was pleased just the same.

Myself
April 8, 2005, 12:24 AM
Good story, thanks for shareing and welcome to THR.

I've only gotten my wife out a few times, have to work on that. I started on the girls and have been somewhat succesfull. My son on the other hand is always after me to shoot.

I told my wife and the girls the same thing. Better to know how and never need then to need and not know how.

spacemanspiff
April 8, 2005, 12:32 AM
sweet mother mary and joseph! there is hope yet!

so, who has more guns now? you or your husband? :D

Sean85746
April 8, 2005, 12:38 AM
BULLY! BULLY FOR YOU! OUTSTANDING!

My then future wife said to me..."I know you have guns, and I know you carry one, so if WE are going to have guns around OUR new house I want to know how to use them safely."

She now has her own small arsenal, and a permit to carry.

I don't worry about her, or our year-old daughter going about town without me. Momma bear has claws!

Shorts
April 8, 2005, 12:42 AM
The very first gift I gave my girlfriend (now wife of 15 years) was a handgun.

She thought it a little strange as a first gift instead of flowers or jewelry but was pleased just the same.

Will you talk to my husband? He keeps getting me jewelry :o

sheepdip
April 8, 2005, 12:55 AM
Welcome and congratulations.
So glad you got the bug and there will be no turning back now.
Your husband did good when you picked him.
By the way, ugly people need guns too

Parallax
April 8, 2005, 12:57 AM
There was going to be NO way that he was going to bring a GUN into our house! I mean what if something happend??

Anyone else find this part amusing?

pax
April 8, 2005, 12:57 AM
Will you talk to my husband? He keeps getting me jewelry
Shorts ~

You're better off than I am, then.

Mine keeps getting me houseplants, to replace the ones I kill on a depressingly regular basis.

pax

P95Carry
April 8, 2005, 12:59 AM
Only question then that remains Pax is - what the heck caliber do you use to kill these danged plants!?? :p :D

Shorts
April 8, 2005, 01:09 AM
Shorts ~

You're better off than I am, then.

Mine keeps getting me houseplants, to replace the ones I kill on a depressingly regular basis.

pax

lol Just get some decievingly pretty weeds, they'll last forever :D The yellow flowers in our backyard are a nice touch to the spotty grass.

PATH
April 8, 2005, 03:52 AM
I really need to get my wife out to a range. By the by, one persons weed is another persons flower! ;)

Sindawe
April 8, 2005, 04:43 AM
When your wife says "No!" Did that ONCE, she's now an Ex, and all subsequent prospects get a trip the range before things get remotely serious. As in "Third date, lets go kill some paper!" Those who blanch don't get a fourth date. :D

HBM:A big hearty WELCOME!!! Got any spinster sisters? ;)

Pax: Hmmm....Maybe I should send your husband cuttings from my indoor jungle. If being snacked on by cats & watered with aquarim cleaning water don't kill 'em, I doubt YOU could.

crashresidue
April 8, 2005, 05:10 AM
Cheers,

To: Pax, Hotbarrelledmama, and Shorts - THANKS!

My "Love" was raised "southern", so she had a gun in her hand as a "child", and had no adversity to marrying a "gun person". But, she didn't have a full grasp of "weapons and their use" until she read "Point of Impact" (Steven Hunter). It's a fictional "sniper" story, and yea, it gets "John Wayne" at times - but a GREAT read!

About a week after she read the book, we went to the "Gun Store" and I asked about an SKS, scoped, and the cost. She stood there, looking bored, and finally asked "Don't you have ENOUGH guns?" I responded "Honey, this one's for YOU!" Sounds like a Bud commercial, doesn't it? People - her eyes lit up like a spot-light!

I'm pretty sure that by the end of the week, I'd bought ALL the 7.62X39 in the county! Is there such a thing as a "gun - nempho"? Well, she's IT!

She's the one that "trained" me - that, just hitting the target at 500 yards isn't "good enough"!

I, now, spend hours "tweeking" the loads for "our" Sharps - just so she can sit behind "her" on the bench and ping ANY gong on the range. It's just a shame - she's the only woman(here) that's addicted to a "sniper rifle" that was designed 140 years ago. Yea, she out shoots me - every time!

Same with pistols - she "likes" wheelies, where I'm a slide gun nut. STILL, she can out shoot me on paper targets, but I think that in a real life situation - she'll hesitate. I'm working on that!

Last time I was in PNG, there was a gun club there that was working on an "interactive" gun range. "Live fire", combat oriented, that "shot" back at you if you delayed behind a "safe" position too long. I ran the prototype - once! Got my attention!

To all the Ladies that visit this forum - you ladies gotta' talk to your firends, etc. - let them know what you are and that "guns" aren't EVIL! Show up at the range, and SHOOT. Just don't sit in the "car" while you're "other half" is "busting" caps.

Just my $.02 worth.

Genlte winds,
cr

q102josh
April 8, 2005, 07:05 AM
welcome to THR rachel! great story, very inspiring

Langenator
April 8, 2005, 07:14 AM
Well, I've been told I'm lucky, because my wife likes guns, likes having them in the house (she doesn't have nightmares about guns, she has nightmares about the guns not working when she tries to shoot someone). We went to the range on our FIRST date, not the third.

She does say no sometimes, usually about additions to my C&R collection, as in "No, you already have one like that."

"But honey, that one is an Izhevsk '41, and this one is a Tula '42...I have to have it."

"No, it's an old gun, and we're here to look at .22 pistols/AKs/carry pistols for my purse."

"Yes, dear."

jamz
April 8, 2005, 08:18 AM
Only question then that remains Pax is - what the heck caliber do you use to kill these danged plants!??

Caliber doesn't matter, they were coming right for her! :D

Hotbarrelmomma: OUTSTANDING first post! And well done for you courage in facing fears and overcoming. A very warm welcome to our community here. :) Grab a chair, coffee's in the corner, join the chat! :)

-James

ScottsGT
April 8, 2005, 08:24 AM
My WIFE tricked me like that, but it was with having kids, not getting into guns :D

Actually, she was a rabid anti, that just tolerates them now. My first purchase was an SKS, not too long after we were married, and against her wishses. She made me keep them in the attic! Then an AR-15 SP-1. I bought the AR 1 week before the "crime bill" was passed. I sold it three weeks later for $1000 more than I paid for it. Then she liked guns :rolleyes: She was actually going to give me a "Gift certificate" to go buy my first handgun, but I bought it right before Fathersday and beat her to the punch.
I've taken her to the farm once to shoot my Colt Govt. .380, but that is the only gun she has ever shot. I guess I need to get her to test drive the new AR. On a side note though, if she does get into guns, and finds out just how much I spent on filling up that "Black Cabinet" in the workshop, I'm toast! :evil:
I should have seen the writing on the wall. When we were engaged, we were at a Woolworths dept. store and they had M-1 Carbines for $225. She did everything she could to keep me from buying it, and I didn't. If she only knew what it cost her for me to finally get that carbine. :neener:

hillbilly
April 8, 2005, 08:44 AM
hotbarrelmama, that's a great story.

Glad to hear it.

In answer to your question, what to do when the wife "says no," I made sure the answer was "yes" before I ever got married.

I dated my wife in college for four years and then was engaged to her for a fifth year before we got married.

I knew her well enough to know that she wasn't anti-gun or scared of guns before we go married.

For me, it's not that I put guns before everything in my life.

It's that I would never actually marry a woman was fundamentally opposed to ideas and principles and values that I hold dear.

I would never marry a woman who is an ardent atheist, for example. Nor would I marry an ardent vegan, or an ardent communist, etc. etc.

Gun ownership is just one of those bedrock issues for me that I would have to get an answer to before "pulling the trigger" so to speak.

And just for reference, my wife currently has her own M-1 Carbine, a .22 pistol, and .45 1911 (that used to be mine) and a 20 gauge shotgun for clay birds.

hillbilly

MikeIsaj
April 8, 2005, 08:44 AM
"How long did it take for the transition to go to completion? Surely, not in just one session. (That would just be too fantastic to contemplate!)"

A few weeks ago at the range on a Friday night I watched that happen. 17yo girl with her father and her boyfriend. Boyfriend wants to shoot, girl thinks it's stupid. Within ten minutes girl is renting a gun for herself and has this huge grin on her face.

Welcome Rachel.

svtruth
April 8, 2005, 08:56 AM
Welcome Rachel. A beautiful post. A loving Mother's intensity in protecting her children is a very moving thing.

Greymoor
April 8, 2005, 10:32 AM
It took me nearly 15 years to get my wife to the range. Now she has her CCW a couple of handguns and we go to the range at least once a month. She told me after she had fired her new pistol that she never realized how much fun shooting was.

For her first pistol she picked out a "Cute" two-toned Sig p239 w/ Hogue grips in 9mm. She shoots very well and bested me by one on our last range trip :o

Defense of the family is a team effort. Keep up the good work and have fun while you are at it. Welcome to the forum!!

Brian Williams
April 8, 2005, 10:53 AM
Welcome to THR

thumbody
April 8, 2005, 11:20 AM
Welcome Rachel,
Glad to hear you have joined the fun world of shooting.
And as crashresidue said Please let your friends both male and female know how much fun it is. I doubt there is a better persuader than someone who was formerly against guns.

wmenorr67
April 8, 2005, 01:22 PM
I am glad to see that Rachel posted this story here. I saw this same post over on packing.org and suggested that she also post it here. Welcome to THR Rachel and do not be a stranger.

Brian Dale
April 8, 2005, 01:42 PM
Good heavens, Rachel, you have a wonderful story. Welcome, indeed.

You wrote,...I was livid he spent that much a gun...Aren't you glad that it wasn't a boat? Talk about expense ...

Hey, Chris: that's one that I never would have thought of: "what caliber for houseplants?" :p

Rachel, be sure to check out the old threads here on starter guns when your daughter is ready for a .22 rifle. :D My Dad started us out early, and I think that my sister's better with a rifle than I am (I still claim to be better with a shotgun than she is, though - of course, she's not reading this thread to dispute it :neener: ).

I look forward to the day when you let us know that you've taken up teaching.

hayseed
April 8, 2005, 02:01 PM
The title of this thread is very misleading..... ;)

Kidding aside, I want to congratulate and welcome you Rachel, we need more gals like you in our "community" to dissolve the myth of gun owning and shooting being only for the "macho", or gun owners compensating for something below the waist.

You can reach other women in a way that us guys just can't, or don't know how to.

If you havn't already, I encourage you to join an organization like NRA, GOA, or SAS (Second Amendment Sisters). It's worth it.

Happy and safe shooting. :cool:

pete f
April 8, 2005, 06:36 PM
Rachel, thanks for the story and I second the motion that you need to take this zeal and reach out to other women who are "no" inclined. I will not call you a soccer mom or a pta mom, but it would do your children well to build a base of moms who say "Guns are bad ? Bullfeathers, let me show you and tell you why not."

PS On my second date my now wife was brought to my house and was shown my meager collection of guns. Her mom said it was my way of showing her she would be safe with me. About the only nice thing her mom ever said to me.

I had previous dated a liberal catholic girl who said with great conviction that her priest demanded that all good catholics should sell their weapons of death...I asked her really think about that and we never dated again .

not a poke at catholic, just that one psuedo peace-nik

Sheslinger
April 8, 2005, 08:09 PM
Great post. Now you just have to start converting three women a month.

Welcome to THR.
Julie

Jubei
April 8, 2005, 11:23 PM
Rachel,

Welcome to THR!! Great post, it does my heart good to hear about another convert.

Jubei

Holly76201
April 10, 2005, 12:25 PM
I hope you feel as welcome as we feel happy to have a great gal like you among us.
It took having chirruns to protect that turned me from So-So to gun-ho. Now, whenever my Dearly Beloved buys a new one, I wait to go to the range and run a few rounds in it before I appropriate it for my own use.

But watch it! I did this about 4 times and now all he's buys are revolvers, I think because he knows I prefer semi-autos.

Now, take your, Mom, your Sister, your Bestest friend, your hairdresser, manicurist, all your female associates/friends/family to the range and turn them on to this rea ;) lly empowering sport.

In fact, you know how there are Tupperware parties, and Mary Kay and BeautiControl and Avon and Pampered Chef parties for women? I think we should get together and do range parties to sell guns and accoutrements especially for women. Who wants to give me the seed money to start this business?

rugerman
April 10, 2005, 11:21 PM
I have a similar story, I taught my wife to shoot and she does fine now. I have also taught several of my friends wives how to shoot. The best one was a friends wife who had grown up in a house with guns but was scared to death of them. Her husband and father and I went shooting together a good bit so one day I talked her into coming along I brought along several pistols, rifles and shotguns. We started off with 22's and worked our way up by the end of the day she was having more fun than we were (espically her husband because she was shooting better he was). When I dropped them off at home she hugged my neck and thanked me for the great time and said to call me anytime I needed a shooting partner, then her husband looked at me and said I guess you know that you've created a monster. Now she hunts and loves it. rugerman

sm
April 10, 2005, 11:34 PM
Who wants to give me the seed money to start this business?
Holly - I hope this comes to fruition. I don't have the money - then again this shameless bump can't hurt - right? ;)

Sheesh - when I assisted with CCW and we did the ladies day, had all sorts of guns , holsters and equipment for ladies to try and share what works for them - it was Great. I mean the seasoned lady shooters assisting the new lady shooters on body types and how to dress around various concealment. I learned from them. Then of course I got picked on being the only guy.

sniff, sniff hurt my feelings...ladies said that old Gubmint model 45 with the worn blueing clashed with my eyes...said my IWB Galco "stinks". They ran me off to buy ice and sodas, pick up some deli tray...nah...women wouldn't say stuff just to run a guy off now would they? ;)

Yes they would.... :p

Stevie-Ray
April 11, 2005, 10:41 PM
My wife says no when she thinks I don't need any more guns. That started about 6 or 8 guns ago. :D It doesn't matter, she knows I'll get it anyway. This is because I let her go wild with the charge cards and the shopping channels. Hey, if it gives her a little pleasure, why not? She's got a pretty lousy life having been handicapped for the last 25 years of our marriage. I've tried to teach her how to use the lightest of my handguns for her own protection to no avail. Her hands simply don't work like normal ones. But she considers herself well-protected. And while she thinks we (I) spend too much money foolishly, after the new guns are in the house, nothing more is ever said.

30 years later and she's still the only girl for me.

cracked butt
April 12, 2005, 12:09 AM
Wow, up until the last 2 paragraphs I thought it might have been my wife that had found this board from my browser history and made a post. My wife went through the exact same ordeal, even her fear of shooting a pistol for the first time was pretty much exactly as you described. Unfortunately, she has only progressed to becoming indifferent toward guns rather than understanding their utility for self defense.

I'm glad it worked out wonderfully for you and welcome to THR. :cool:

peacefuljeffrey
April 12, 2005, 05:25 AM
Glad to read your post, Rachel.

It's a little troubling in the beginning, because it makes me realize that some people (women?) can be quite irrational about guns at the start, and that only by DISREGARDING YOUR EMPHATIC STANCE was your husband even able to bring you around to seeing what you now recognize as "reason"!

My brother, on the other hand, was the first gun owner in my family, and passed that on to me. He has moved away to Nantucket because that's where his wife was from before they married, and he left all his hardware behind with me. Now, not that I mind having some extra guns around, but it pains me greatly that my brother, who used to carry here in FL, now has acceded to the state of MA telling him he may not have a gun (at least, not without applying for a license first and hoping to get approved). For cryin' out loud, he had his carry permit before I did! And now he's okay with being a disarmed sheeple! :banghead:

Some people start where you are now and go forward to where you were then. It's sad. Granted, my brother stands very little chance of violent confrontation there on Nantucket, but the principle is what matters to me in this case. I don't know why he didn't insist that his wife move to Florida where HE lives... (Probably the schools their kids'd grow up in down here -- they SUCK!)

-Jeffrey

Selfdfenz
April 12, 2005, 07:54 AM
Great first post!
Welcome to THR.

The path we follow into the shooting sports will always sway us. Self defense in only one aspect of being a student of the gun. I hope you and your husband have found a recreational aspect in firearms you will be able to enjoy together forever. No one can ever learn all there is to be learned about the shooting sports in one lifetime. Boredom is not an option.

S-

Missourigunner
April 12, 2005, 08:30 AM
Welcome to THR.

runswithscissors
April 12, 2005, 09:28 AM
Glad to hear your shooting experience was a good one. Welcome. Hang around and let some of these old timers hear more stories about cute young women shooting guns. Works like a charm for those old shooters. :)

sturmruger
April 12, 2005, 11:21 AM
Cracked butt I think you and I have the same wife. She sounds a lot like Rachel used to and now is just indifferent to my collection of firearms.

Rachel when you started this I was thinking you were going to talk about forbidding your husband from buying a new gun. Turns out you just didn't want to go to the range. What kind of Carbine did your husband buy?

My lovely wife and I have been married now been for 5 years. I keep working on her slowly to see if I can convince her to show more of an interest in my guns, but honestly sometimes it is nice if we both have our own things to do. You know what they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder".

Thanks for the great post and welcome to the THR. Does your husband hang out on here as well??

mountaindrew
April 12, 2005, 12:28 PM
Welcome! My wife esounds alot like you in the earlier stage. I wish I knew what to do to help her lose her fear. I like to think I am a sensitive guy and I have done my best to talk to her about safety and tell her that the gun is not the danger in itself. I have even taken her shooting several times with varied results, makeing every effort to make if pleasent ant non threatening, but it always comes back to the same "NO!" eventually. (usaully after she sees Oprah. For those that don't watch, Oprah's mainstay is showing victems and commiters of domestic violence, men who shot theier families etc...)

I wonder If you could talk to my wife. I have been wishing she had a woman to talk to about such matters that didn't share the same fears.

Holly76201
April 12, 2005, 01:05 PM
sm - thanks for the good thoughts. I have another project in the works (a book) that will take about 2 - 2.5 years to finish, then I can start looking at gun products. The 1st product I want to design is a "bralster" that you can clip to an underwire underneath your arm/armpit where one of the wires is. Actually, I can do it w/o a holster, I just worry about body oil/sweat affecting the gun metal, plus it's not very comfortable next to the skin. However, I can drop a 9mm and anything smaller in my cleavage for concealment. Yet another advantage to being busomly blessed. Anyway, I'll let you pass those thoughts along to your wife.

Rachel, I guess everybody's so dang glad to have another woman on the board we forgot to tell you the newbie buys the ammo! Also be sure to check out Thehighroad.org and Thefiringline.com Great boards for tons of info and discussion.

Again welcome, and have fun and take another woman with you every range trip.

Waitone
April 12, 2005, 02:27 PM
So how long was it before the grin left your face?

Welcome to THR. Shoot safely and often.

Sneaky
April 12, 2005, 03:06 PM
Awesome, Rachel!

A heartfelt welcome to THR!!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "When your wife says "No!"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!