Can anyone ID this rifle for me?

PDA

firearms_instructor
April 8, 2005, 02:03 AM
This is a single-shot, breech-loading .22 with a heavy octagonal barrel. The only markings I could find are a small Y with a star above it, the letters E L G with a star inside an oval. Any info would be greatly appreciated, including what it's worth. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anyone ID this rifle for me?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jagermeister
April 8, 2005, 04:47 AM
The E L G would indicate it as Belgium proof marked. Don't know who made it.

JM

Jim Watson
April 8, 2005, 10:24 AM
Correct, ELG (star) is a Belgian proof mark. Y (star) is the inspector's mark.

The rifle is a Flobert, probably the simplest breechloader ever made, turned out in vast numbers from the 1850s through the 1920s by a number of manufacturers. Few of whom cared to identify themselves on a dollar gun. It is NOT very strong, even for the BB, CB, and black powder Shorts it was made for and I would not shoot it.

firearms_instructor
April 8, 2005, 10:49 AM
Great, thanks! Any idea what it might be worth?

lwsimon
April 9, 2005, 08:59 AM
I'll give you twice what it cost new. :)

logical
April 9, 2005, 09:03 AM
I have one just about like it. I was told it is a Flobert also. Never shot it...I was told to use .22 long (not long rifle).

As best as I can tell based on people I've had look at it, books and auctions I've looked at..it is a $100 gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can anyone ID this rifle for me?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!