So I finally saw Dawn of the Dead

PDA

Wingshooter
April 8, 2005, 05:21 PM
I know the Zombie topic has been beaten to death, no pun intended, but I just had to comment.

Any time I've read one of these threads I always chuckled to myself and thought my 1911 would be just fine. After watching the movie and seeing the volume of shooting done (due to the number of targets), I feel that I need to make a retraction. My 1911, while nice, would not serve my purposes well at all. I would feel severely undergunned with anything less than a .308 semi auto of either the HK/CETME/FN-FAL genre (I know I'm grouping too many together, but you get my drift) or the SOCOM 16 <drool>. Or perhaps ordnance.

I'd still want the 1911 with a few mags, but it would definately not be a primary weapon. I have learned from my mistakes.

My sincerest apologies to any of you that I (not so)silently scoffed at while reading those amusing threads. :) This is obviously tongue in cheek, but it was interesting just watching the sheer volume of hostiles that were there. Wow!

p.s. Andy is my hero, well except for that part at the end where he died. Apparently he never heard my horror movie/gaming mantra, "live throught this part!"

If you enjoyed reading about "So I finally saw Dawn of the Dead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Silent Bob
April 8, 2005, 05:48 PM
Dawn of the Dead was the best movie of 2004 IMO. I left the theater mentally compiling a shopping list from Ammoman.com.

ScorpioVI
April 8, 2005, 05:49 PM
Now it's time for you to take the Zombie Survival Test (http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=5349989821747660792) and see how you fare. (I only managed 78% for some reason).

Oh yea, and go see Shaun Of The Dead to see how the UK guys do it. Effin hilarious!

ocabj
April 8, 2005, 05:55 PM
Zombie Survival Guide (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=UH0APxjAMp&isbn=1400049628&itm=1)

Logan5
April 8, 2005, 06:05 PM
Fun test, I got 88%...

DontBurnMyFlag
April 8, 2005, 06:17 PM
i got 81% probably because i own the zombie survival manual :D

Blackburn
April 8, 2005, 07:22 PM
87%, compared to people my age I got a 97%. Probably because of my firm belief in always choosing 'all of the above' whenever available.

scout26
April 8, 2005, 07:28 PM
Haven't seen any Zombie movies nor read the book. Got an 89%.

All that Army training finally paid off.

natedog
April 8, 2005, 07:50 PM
And now to introduce the caliber war:

.223 and 9mm would be way better for zombies; the only way to kill them is a head shot, so anything that makes a hole and punches through a skull is fine :D

jobu07
April 8, 2005, 08:08 PM
No no nate, you've got it all wrong! :evil: The best caliber for zombie hunting is a subsonic .22 fired out of an armored wheelbarrow... :p

q102josh
April 8, 2005, 08:11 PM
that movie was awesome

cslinger
April 8, 2005, 08:12 PM
I think it's a safe bet we are all "Official Surviors".

Heck I have been to THR parties where there was more firepower then most police stations. :D

Ehh Zombies, find a large vehicle (garbage truck, bus, semi, armored car,dump truck crane, etc.) drive around running the suckers over while your buddies in back plug whatever they can and act as perimeter defense for the gas, pee breaks and munchy stops.

Chris

TarpleyG
April 8, 2005, 08:15 PM
Looks like y'all should ride with me...

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 90% on survivalpoints

Greg

mbs357
April 8, 2005, 08:20 PM
Official Survivor
Congratulations! You scored 84%!
Whether through ferocity or quickness, you made it out. You made the right choice most of the time, but you probably screwed up somewhere. Nobody's perfect, at least you're alive.
Wee.

trickyasafox
April 8, 2005, 08:43 PM
86% tracking one variable.. . . .whatever that means?

Luku
April 8, 2005, 08:49 PM
I scored 86% tracking one variable. I scored the 93% higher than others based on my age and gender.

AZTOY
April 8, 2005, 08:58 PM
84%!

Whether through ferocity or quickness, you made it out. You made the right choice most of the time, but you probably screwed up somewhere. Nobody's perfect, at least you're alive. :D

Beren
April 8, 2005, 09:00 PM
This is my all-time favorite thread topic, though it might end up closed at some point. ;)

Consider:

1. The vast majority of zombies, both fast and slow, can be stopped by a shot to the head.

2. Unless their ears are gnawed out, zombies can hear pretty well.

3. Chances are if you've had to engage one zombie, he has twenty friends in the immediate area.

I think your best bet is a suppressed 9mm AR-15 with a short barrel. This lets you fire 147gr subsonic ammo, with pretty much no noise except the cycling of the action. (Yes, it's still loud and clacky, but nowhere near as loud as unsuppresed, or even a suppresed 5.56mm.) Naturally, you'd want a nice Aimpoint on that. ;)

For backup, the suppressed 9mm of your choice would allow you to tote only one caliber of ammo. I'd go with a Glock 17 for the magazine capacity. Remember to save the last two rounds for yourself. One for after you get bit, and another in case you flinch and miss the first time!

Bigdog57
April 8, 2005, 09:03 PM
I need to study a bit more. :rolleyes:

My score:

Official Survivor
Congratulations! You scored 62%!
Whether through ferocity or quickness, you made it out. You made the right choice most of the time, but you probably screwed up somewhere. Nobody's perfect, at least you're alive.
You scored higher than 71% on survivalpoints!

Faithless
April 8, 2005, 09:27 PM
Armed and Dangerous
Congratulations! You scored 88%!

Looks like being a kleptomaniac pays off.

When it came to picking transportation I picked the pick up.

Put some roo bars on that baby and there would be a hell of a lot of squished zombies. Hell if it was a red truck even better, I wouldn't have to clean it.

boofus
April 8, 2005, 10:15 PM
A zombie scenario would be plenty enough to convince me to drop my .45s and pick up some Glocks. All those nice little 9mm rounds in the 33rd mags can put down alot of zombies. As it seems all you gotta do is hit them in the head, caliber doesn't seem to matter as much as shot placement. Or those Calico pistols with the 100 .22LR drums. :rolleyes:

I got a 93% on the zombie test. It seems to favor packrats. :evil:
I'm thinking choosing AR15 for choice of firearm and pitch fork on the last question brought me down. :neener:

Tom Servo
April 8, 2005, 10:48 PM
A bit OT, but I thought the re-make was terrible. It was bleak (the undead baby thing was just...uncalled for), the characters (especially Vingh Raimes) were forgettable, and the ending was hopeless. Worst off, they forgot the main point of zombie movies--they're not about the zombies, but the people affected.

The original George Romero version had more heart and a really black streak of humor. There was an undercurrent of social commentary in that the zombies in the mall were no different in their habits in death, and the constant underpinning of Muzak made it even more apparent. Plus, much better ending.

+1 for Shaun of the Dead. They nailed the genre perfectly, and if you watch closely, they do alot of name-checking along the way. The part where the Brits actually find a rifle and don't know how to use it is brilliant.

The first Night of the Living Dead is also a classic. Absolutely terrifying without any real gore.

If you're into comics at all, Robert Kirkman's doing a series called the Walking Dead, which is brilliant. An ex-Police officer leads a group of survivors across the ruins of America in search of refuge, and meets some really screwed-up folks along the way (it takes place in the South). The whole idea is that when the world as we know it falls apart, we have to start fending for ourselves and learning to live. The big plus is that it's the first comic I've EVER read that has a really pro-2A message. Most comics portray guns as tools of either criminals or psychotic vigilante types.

Beleive it or not, the whole zombie genre has a long tradition, and there's some really classic work along the way. I'd hate to think that folks only think of this godawful remake when they think of it.

donkee
April 8, 2005, 11:05 PM
Got 89%, maybe not the best zombie killer......

Jubei
April 8, 2005, 11:09 PM
I scored a 74%. I think I lost points for living in suburbia.

Jubei

Wingshooter
April 8, 2005, 11:41 PM
Beren, I'm sure the sheer repetetive banality of it would probably warrant it being closed outright. I did, however, want to go on record as saying I was wrong about something. I know, I know, it doesn't happen often... but it had to be done.

Of course, the whole point of the post was about firearms. Well, sort of... Anyway, I'm just happy that I finally posted a topic that has more than 2 replies. Hooray me!

p.s. I scored 74% on the test but was 89% better than those in my age group. Darn urban living (if you can call Fort Worth urban). I guess I should have helped a few other people as well.

johnster999
April 9, 2005, 12:20 AM
Never thought I'd like a zombie flick more than the original Dawn until I saw the new Dawn.

My zombie medicine of choice is a 10/22 with gobs of ammo and mags. Maybe the Sig for a backup.

But what do I know, I only got a 74%.

Evil_Ed
April 9, 2005, 01:02 AM
Official Survivor
Congratulations! You scored 83%!
My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender: You scored higher than 94% on survivalpoints

I'm certain I lost points because I couldn't ditch a friend even if they were bitten. Probably lost points because I was willing to save the first group of unarmed people as well.

MAKOwner
April 9, 2005, 01:43 AM
Ah how I love the zombie threads. Don't know what it is about the movies but I love em. Last zombie thread I posted in here got me a bunch of flack from one of our more serious members when someone they invited to the board to check out serious firearm discussions quickly discovered my comments on how the AK has to be the ultimate zombie gun, lol...

Anyway, I thought DOTD'04 was excellent. Very well done when it could have been cheesy/crappy like oh so many other zombie movies. I've got the DVD and enjoy it watching it fairly frequently. The original was good too but it's so dated and campy/70's-ish it just kinda doesn't do it for me anymore. I thought most of the dark humor/social commentary stuff was actually kinda lame too... I wanted to see more fortifying of the Mall and something better than a crazed biker gang battle for the end of the movie....

But back to '04, the only thing lacking to me was a little better weaponry. After the gunstore raid when they had their choice of weapons grabbing mainly revolvers and new pump shotguns seemed like a pretty poor choice. I don't think a pump shotgun, even a "evilized" combat-style shotgun would be worth a crap as your main zombie gun, too few rounds and fairly heavy recoil/slow rate of fire. Also to get any decent number of shells would weight too much and take up too much space when trying to transport much of it. I mean a bigass 12 guage bandolier across your chest holds what, 25 shells? And I'd also be avoiding the "manly" .357 revolvers and such in favor of "pussy 9 mils" or other modern hicap semiautos...

Ideally I'd have been grabbing any decent semiauto rifle and a boat load of mags/ammo if it were me. Surely even in Canada where it was filmed they'd have had some Mini-14s or something.

Ideally I'd want a good solid AK or AR15, a dozen+ mags and a few cases of ammo for whichever caliber... I'd snag one of the modern namebrand highcap 9mm handguns for a backup, would just depend on what they had.

Although I do think a shotgun would be great in some circumstances like indoor clearing where only a few zombies would be expected to be encountered, etc. But as your only/main weapon??? Naw...

Logan5
April 9, 2005, 01:55 AM
If you watch it with the director commentary turned on, it sounds almost as if they've been reading our zombie threads on THR. Apparently they got a little miffed that our sort were griping about no black rifles, etc... there's a point where one of them mentions that, and says something like "well look, there's just so many, it dosen't matter what gun you've got, because it's THE END OF THE WORLD!"

I, personally, am unwilling to concede that particular point.

DontBurnMyFlag
April 9, 2005, 02:02 AM
everyone seems to be on the right track. .308 and other bullets like that are too big and heavy. alot of bullets will penetrate the skull. 9mm, .40, and 45 are the best choices. whether it be in a beretta storm, Uzi or AR-SMG. when you think of stopping power it doesnt have the same effect on a zombie. a shotgun will slow them down, but a hollowpoint .40 will have little effect. on a human a .40 hollow point will put someone down. so smaller bullets with high velocitys and good penetration are needed. you can carry tons of 9mm in a back pack, and have your main gun and backup run on the same ammo. combat distance in an urban or suburban environment will be close range since you would be on the move in a sea of chaos. of course if you lived in the open, a long range high power rifle would do the trick. even a 5.56 rifle would be acceptable. ha, i want to fight zombies so badly, but without the death and destruction to my family and neighborhood. maybe it could happen in some other country and we could be hired as mercs. haha :D

Candiru
April 9, 2005, 02:42 AM
I read the zombie survival guide book and had to agree with most of its suggestions (stealth and speed over durability and firepower), but its advocacy of the .22LR round to the exclusion of all others wasn't too sound, given the reliability (or lack thereof) of .22LR. If .22LR was as reliable as centerfire rounds then it would be a shoo-in; as it is, 9mm ball ammo is preferable.

The problem I run into is this: You can get Glocks or Sigs in very high capacity, but in a zombie situation I wouldn't want to pick up a gun I had never shot before. I'd just go with a Hi-Power. Better to take familiarity over capacity.

Matthew748
April 9, 2005, 07:14 AM
I scored a 79%. Not the best, but I should make it.

HighVelocity
April 9, 2005, 07:43 AM
86%

I guess I'm going to have to break down and rent the movie. I've managed to avoid it up to this point. Zombies give me the heebee jeebees :o

Rebar
April 9, 2005, 09:16 AM
9mm ball is the ultimate zombie round - it's all about the headshot folks!

ny32182
April 9, 2005, 12:09 PM
83%.

I think my round of choice would be .223. Light wieght, can be found anywhere, and has a lot more range and power than a pistol caliber. Downside would be the noise. Your whole crew would be deaf after your first serious zombie encounter. :D

Biker
April 9, 2005, 12:15 PM
I agree with the .223 thing in principle, however I would go 5.56 instead. Not to be picky, but weapons that shoot 5.56 can shoot .223 but not all .223 will safely shoot 5.56 due to dimensional differences. :)
Biker

ny32182
April 9, 2005, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I would pick a weapon chambered in 5.56. Probably an AR carbine.

Biker
April 9, 2005, 12:21 PM
Me too. I'd feel pretty comfortable with my Bushmaster. As a matter of curiousity, aside from mags, does anyone know how many of the internal parts from a Bushy will interchange with the Colts?
Biker

Rexrider
April 9, 2005, 01:57 PM
Congratulations! You scored 82%!

Whew....I made it out alive.

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender: You scored higher than 96% on survivalpoints

Not too bad for my first Zombie test.

I would have liked to see the questions I got wrong. I don't want to make any mistakes when the Zombies show up. :D

Ridge
April 9, 2005, 04:52 PM
Well my firearms of choice would be in 22.lr I would use my 22/45 as a back up to my model 60 Marlin,I know I know some of you guys are gonna' scoff at me for chosing the lowly 22lr.

But IMHO a model 60 is a pretty good little rifle,it's easy to take down and clean,there aren't that many parts to break down,same thing with the 22/45 simple and easy to clean ,rugged and reliable.

And another plus you can carry more 22.lr I buy the Federal bulk pack ammo,550 rounds per box and let's say if you have 6 boxes (And I keep six on hand at all times) as a standard payload,that equals out to 3,300 rounds, No that bad if you think about it.

Stopping power wouldn't really be an issue,and only head shots work,so I'd stick with the good ole' 22.lr.

mbs357
April 9, 2005, 05:34 PM
I don't want to make any mistakes when the Zombies show up.
I'm glad you're a down to Earth person. Most of the people I talk to don't believe zombies are real or that they pose no threat. I know first hand what zombies can do, I've hunted them for a long time.

TMM
April 9, 2005, 06:39 PM
i got somthing like a 76%. not all that bad... i have the survival guide, maybe i should review that.

i personally would use two Glock 18's with extended mags. semi auto most of the time, of course. full auto only for extermination of large amounts of zombies. i'd like a carbine that uses 9mm too- so i can share ammo between guns. should have hi cap mags, and a few mags already loaded and ready. machete on my hip, along with sharpening stone. water, food, etc. in pack.

~TMM

Too Many Choices!?
April 9, 2005, 06:52 PM
I mean c'm'on, how many of you guys could chop up your best friend once he got infected :confused: ! She chopped that guy up into ground beef and didn't even bat an eye :uhoh: ! For those that haven't seen it yet, 28 Days Later is a must see even though it happens in Europe (no guns for the good guys except the military :( ).... By the way, I'll take old school zombies(resident evil style)over any of these new age zombies that can still run :neener: !!!

Biker
April 9, 2005, 07:03 PM
One reason I wouldn't go with the .22 LR is because some of the BGs would be human, I believe. In a perfect world, all survivors would team up for the general good. However, this ain't a perfect world.
Biker

Cowgunner
April 9, 2005, 07:17 PM
I got Armed and Dangerous Congratulations! You scored 87%! You scored higher than 94% on survivalpoints

Firethorn
April 9, 2005, 07:31 PM
92%. It has me going back. :uhoh:

I tried to get eaten by zombies, got a mere 40%, and still survived. :scrutiny:
(Tried to pick the worst answer every time, Urban, no weapons experience, etc...).

Of course, for this board, they need to modify some of the questions.

Instead of firarms experience being a yes/no, it should be:

1: Never shot
2: Have shot once
3: Military/police training
4: Shoot several times a year
5: Shoot monthly
6: Shoot weekly
7: Shoot daily

Weapons owned:
1: None
2: None, but my family/neighbors have extras
3: A handgun or non-automatic rifle
4: Several hanguns, semi-auto rifle
5: Urban defense rifle(AR-15,AK-47, etc...)
6: Can arm the whole family
7: Can arm the neighborhood.

Like the gunstore question:
3: I know where every gunstore within 100 miles is
4: Know where the gunstore is? I'm in it right now!
5: I have more arms and ammo at my house than any gunstore within a two hour drive.

Clean97GTI
April 9, 2005, 08:07 PM
I scored Armed and Dangerous at 88% and fared better than 97% in my age group.

My choice of arms would be an AK pattern rifle with bunches of 30rd magazines and ammo crates in the pick-up. I would also have to go with Glock 17's just to be able to get reliable 30 round magazines. I've seen 30rd mags for CZ's and BHPs, but I have no idea who makes them.

The test didn't mention propane tanks, but I'd grab as many as possible. Coat the outsides with tar and stick shrapnel to them. Torch off as seen in DotD '04.

Hopefully there would be cans of gunpowder in a gun shop (there are in my favorite shops) so I could make pipebombs.

The test also failed to mention toilet paper and televisions. How am I supposed to watch Survivor? ;)

ZeroX
April 9, 2005, 08:17 PM
78%

As far as gun selection, I'd pick a Glock 17 (ew) and a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 set up for Glock mags with some of those 30 rounders.

jamz
April 9, 2005, 08:37 PM
86%! Telling me I have a strange inkling to go back and create more havoc with the zombsters. I agree with the 9mm crowd, although I don't own a 9mm anything. :eek:

-James

Farnham
April 9, 2005, 08:40 PM
77% ?!?!?!? That's BS, I've been training since birth in the arts of zombie defense! :uhoh:

Glock 17, M-79 "Blooper", and an M-249 SAW would be my choice in Operation Zombie, but only because I've got clear fields of fire from my house, good fences, and plenty of water and fuel for the generators.

Going with what's on hand, and supposing I had to displace...Glock 17 and an AR, even though I love my 7.62x51mm, it's easier to carry 5.56 ammo.

They'll all starve soon anyway, brains are scarce these days. :evil:

No_Brakes23
April 9, 2005, 08:40 PM
The "pussy 9mil" comment was put in as a joke according to the directors. The actor may have even ad-libbed it.

Oh and +1 on 28DL, it was a good watch. Although, not strictly a zombie movie, it was about a pandemic. No one turned into a zombie, the infected were still alive, they could still talk, it was hinted that they could starve, and you didn't need a head shot to take them out. An awesome movie,though.

MAKOwner
April 9, 2005, 09:56 PM
I thought 28DL was pretty crappy myself. I mean the best they could come up with was to beat the things to death hand to hand? The survivors wouldn't last long at all at that rate when a drop of blood in the eye or mouth or open wound would spell your infection. Plus I didn't really care for how the military guys all basically went insane in the time of what, like a week or two wasn't it, don't recall... Maybe it was closer to a month+, either way that seemed a little lame and a convienent way to cop out to me. Poor writing IMO...

Anyway, you can't do a zombie movie justice in some gun-control paradise like the UK... I think the perfect zombie movie would be crossover movie with Burt from Tremors fighting the undead with a more serious tone than the last Tremors movies...

Oh and here's a trailer for a new zombie movie coming out, Undead. No idea if it will be worth a crap but it looks decent: http://streamingmovies.ign.com/filmforce/article/602/602498/undead_300Kbps.wmv

30 cal slob
April 9, 2005, 11:32 PM
BRRRRRAINS!

Feanaro
April 9, 2005, 11:39 PM
I scored a 78% on the first try. Better than 80% of the people in my age/gender range. A quick rethink(only changed two questions) and another go-round gave me 86%. Better than 97% in my age/gender range.

As for the real Zombies(hehe), I would have to go with 5.56mm. As much as I love 7.62 NATO and my MBR, an AR-15(I would prefer an HK93 but parts and accessories are more important than sentiments) would be the better choice. The ammo is too heavy and the extra *thump* doesn't matter, headshots only. Now, if I found my way into a military base with a few tonnes of ammo(and other provisions, guns are important but useless without food and clothes) I'd go back to my baby. And, much as I hate to say it, the 9mm would be the better option. It is lighter and there is generally more available.

Greybeard7
April 9, 2005, 11:50 PM
Interesting test. I scored 67%, but 99% on survival points for people my age and gender. Looks like you lose points for being an old fart. :D

GB7

runswithscissors
April 10, 2005, 01:10 AM
www.allthingszombie.com

go to the forum and see what people post about the survival and defense.

lotus
April 10, 2005, 10:46 AM
I think Zack Snyder (the director) nailed it when he said that guns wouldn't do you much good in the open against the fast zombies. They essentially allow you to maybe get from one door to another.

Think about it, you wouldn't even have a realistic chance of getting a headshot against a sprinting target until they were 25-50 yards away. That's what, 3-8 seconds of time given their speed? Good luck!

For internal defense against someone who's turned, or for static 'elimination' from an elevated position guns are certainly more useful.

Bigjake
April 10, 2005, 10:58 AM
took the little test thing

scored 97%, and 99% higher than age group.

suprised, since i don't watch zombie movies

Biker
April 10, 2005, 11:02 AM
Lotus
Luckily, the new fast zombies don't require a head shot, but your statement made me wonder if a dozen gauge with 00 buck might be the weapon of choice out in the open. Logistically, it would be a nightmare (200 rounds of 5.56 is a lot lighter and less bulky than 200 rounds of 00 buck), but a head shot on a rapidly moving target at 25 yards would be a lot easier with the 12 G than a Bushmaster.
Biker

Hardware
April 10, 2005, 12:39 PM
70%, official survivor and 99% better than age and gender.

For movement and scavenging I think the 30+ round capacity in 5.56 would be a good choice and a high capacity 9mm as a backup. And carry a grenade on a necklace in case you are swarmed and don't want to come back. Do the honorable thing, pull the pin and hold the grenade to your head.

Now, the .22LR comes into play when you are holed up like Andy was in the gun shop. The sound from the little rimfire wouldn't carry as far as the centerfire. You can clear all the zombies away from the foundation of your building firing .22 shorts through a .22 bolt action. You won't draw a lot of other zombies investigating the noise. .22 has got enough juice to get into the skull, but not enough to get out, it just ricochets around inside. And if the first shot doesn't kill 'em, just turns 'em into a twitcher, well, there's not much other use for the .22. Give 'em another round. The Mob and Mossad both believe in the power of .22. It might make sense in the right circumstance.

I have spent way too much time thinking about zombies though.

jefnvk
April 10, 2005, 12:56 PM
93%, Armed and Dangerous. Better than 99% of people in my age group.

I do agree with the .22 and LOTS of ammo, although having something a bit heavier around probably isn't a bad idea.

Shaun of the Dead is a good movie too, although nowhere near as serious. A lot funnier though.

lotus
April 10, 2005, 08:16 PM
Originally Written by Biker:

Luckily, the new fast zombies don't require a head shot...

Fast zombies certainly did require headshots. Other hits may slow them down or possibly turn them into twitchers but only a headshot was a true stopper. Check out the director's cut and examine the armless Asian guy that comes after them on the way into the mall. He took several hits and kept on comin'.

cracked butt
April 10, 2005, 11:37 PM
I scored 83%

Didn't anyone watch the special features from the movie where there was a video of some guys at a tactical training school demonstrating how to take out zombies? They had cages of zombies and released 2 at a time from different directions and the guy had no problem stopping them with a handgun even when they were running at full tilt. :D

No_Brakes23
April 11, 2005, 12:03 AM
Perhaps there is confusion between the running zombies in DotD'04 who DO require a headshot and the running not dead "infected" from 28DL which did NOT require headshots.

Rebar
April 11, 2005, 02:46 AM
Just saw the directors cut, great movie until they came up with that half-baked "plan", then I get annoyed.

Anyway, it confirmed my idea that 9mm ball would be the best round for the job, anything more would be overkill, anything less would be iffy. A 9mm carbine, and a pistol for backup would be ideal. Preferably using the same mags, like Beretta or Ruger. Or a AR with a 9mm upper and sten mags. A semi .22 would be perfect for roof-top sniping. A gun store usually has, what, 10,000 rounds of .22 in stock? Frank should have been thinning them down instead of showing off.

torpid
April 11, 2005, 05:03 AM
When the zombies take over, how long until the electricity fails? (http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mzombiepower.html)

Fun link. :D

loose cannon
April 11, 2005, 06:39 AM
aksu in 5.45x39 poison bullet, lotsa 45rd rpk74 mags.since hguns are good for bug only id have a wide list of acceptable choices.

Diggler
April 11, 2005, 07:05 AM
You guys that want to take .223, go right ahead... all the noise will draw them away from me and I'll take the rest out with a subsonic or suppressed .22 semiauto. All you have to do is destroy the brain. And I can carry tens of thousands of rounds with me, unlike a centerfire of any caliber. I have more than enough .22 ammo in my basement to clear my entire town should they all turn into zombies.

Zombies would get the .22, but I'd also want something a little heavier with better range on hand for the surviving, raiding looters as well. They'll want to kill you and take your stuff too.

Gifted
April 11, 2005, 07:18 AM
I think I'd take .22 magnum over LR, a bit more punch, and longer range. It means that you don't nessecarily have to revert to a different weapon when you find someone who's not zombified. And volume and mass will be more important than price. I don't think Wal-Mart will care at that point if you're not 18. 9mm would be the next choice, being the next size up, though if I could find a carbine in .32, that sounds decent.

I'd get a 92 and a Cx4 with the biggest mags I can find, and rig one of those belts I've seen at competition that held twenty mags. Only place I could see a point for that many. 9mm would serve for those that are still alive, eliminating the need for a larger caliber backup. If I had a vehicle or a hidey hole, I'd get a 12ga. You don't have to draw a fine bead, and so it's easier close up. I wouldn't want to pack ammo for it though. In Resident Evil they mentioned that it was the central nervous system, not just the brain. So a spine shot would theoretically work, and 00 would work well for that. Again, a .32 would be a good backup, you just need something to penetrate the skull, yours or thiers. If there was a gun that could handle hig-cap mags of .25+P, that might be best.

I'd want an armored car. Whether a rigged up SUV or something or a real one, it would be best. Install some extra gas tanks, since diesel is a bit rarer than gasoline.

Diggler
April 11, 2005, 08:07 AM
Vehicle-wise, I think I have a great thing with my Chevy Avalanche.

Off road package, will go anywhere... 5500lbs, has good inertia. Even better if I put a brush guard on it. It's an automatic, which I think is good because there might be times where you may need one hand for other things besides shifting. The best part is the hard top sectional bed cover and the midgate. A shooter could drop the midgate, crawl back into the bed and pop up from one of the removed sections to shoot. If things got too hairy, you could go back into the cab of the truck and put the midgate back up. Any zombie that made it into the bed and tried to crawl up to the cab section would be easily dispatched. Lots of storage for necessities, too.

LiquidTension
April 11, 2005, 11:17 AM
Armed and Dangerous
Congratulations! You scored 87%!

You made it out, alive and well supplied. You probably even kept most of your party alive too. You know what to look for, what to take, and when to just run. You even feel a strange inkling to go back. If you did, you'd probably do just fine.

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 93% on survivalpoints

Correia
April 11, 2005, 02:52 PM
Test. Ha! I score myself 140% chance of survival! Zombies are a cakewalk. Zombies are what you hunt before breakfast to warm up for challenging monsters.

(inside joke, the Mods and my proof readers know what I'm talking about) :p

Wear your Happy Face with pride, gentlemen, 'cause we are about to kick evil in the ****. Somebody grab Abomination...

mbs357
April 11, 2005, 02:55 PM
For those of you advocating .22s: http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg62-e.htm

Diggler
April 11, 2005, 03:29 PM
mbs357,

Impressive, but at the end of the world there will be no more ammo than what you have and what you can scrounge, so there is a limited supply. Conservation would be in order. You can't reload rimfire ammo.

I found it interesting in the quiz that nowhere in the firearm requirements was 'accuracy' listed.

benEzra
April 11, 2005, 04:45 PM
94% on the first try. I chose the pickup truck, fortified the gun shop, and left the group of people that I couldn't safely rescue (and didn't arm them). Bring 'em on! :cool:

On second thought, DON'T bring 'em on... :uhoh:

Hey, is this the zombie emoticon? --> :eek:

mbs357
April 11, 2005, 04:50 PM
Diggler: True, but it'll be good while it lasts. I figure it'd be best for a base defense...lots of ammo stored. Then switch to reloadable ammo.

ZeroX
April 11, 2005, 04:53 PM
http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg62-e.htm

.22lr with da switch? Talk about fun at the range. :D

mbs357
April 11, 2005, 04:55 PM
Very yes... ^_^

flatdog
April 11, 2005, 05:23 PM
I made it out and I ain't goin' back!! My best friend...he blowed up real good. :evil:

flatdog.

enfield303
April 11, 2005, 05:55 PM
Armed And Dangerous-88%
I brought my group out, I was well supplied(Leave a Gun Store? With Ammo still on the shelves? Are you Bloody Nuts?). Nothing was ever said about a National Guard Tank park, so I'm not so sure about going back..... :evil:

Gifted
April 11, 2005, 06:32 PM
You know, it wouldn't nessecarily be the end of the world. Really, it'll last until winter. You hole up somewhere with a bit of a harsher climate, and if you can survive the winter, you'll be fine, at least with stupid zombies. You see, almost all of them will be outside, or inside with no heater, and water freezing and rupturing brain cells I think would have a similar effect as shooting them in the head. Destroys the brain, end of zombie. So, you survive the winter, and you don't have to worry about zombies nearly as much. More temperate areas, it's another matter, but you get up in the mountains, and your problems will be reduced.

Randy in Arizona
April 12, 2005, 12:05 AM
I scored 20 out of 20 which I will attribute to age, experience, guile, and just generally being lowdown & sneaky. Also Ghost Tiger's story on Frugal Squirrel's Forum - A Boy and His Dog helped. :what: :what:

Of my current collection, I'd go with Browning BDM & full capacity magazines, SAR1 & 75 round drums, and an American 180 loaded with Stinger.

For FS Members:A Boy and His Dog (http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=002144#000000)

Logan5
April 12, 2005, 12:59 AM
Wasn't "A Boy and His Dog" a Don Johnson movie, based off of the graphic novel of umm... Harlan Ellison? Not to belittle the story on Frugal's, which is the only part I really read there.

Hah, of course I didn't scroll down to the end of the linked thread and see a FS poster say the same thing... whoops.

Yuck Mouth
April 12, 2005, 04:08 AM
One reason I wouldn't go with the .22 LR is because some of the BGs would be human, I believe. In a perfect world, all survivors would team up for the general good. However, this ain't a perfect world.

I think this a great point. You just know other people are going to try tand jack your supplies so you have other humans to deal with.

Another weapon I think people should consider is a flamethrower.. It seems to me it would be relatively easy to lure the zombies into an area where you could corral them and let loose with a flamethrower.

bogie
April 12, 2005, 08:09 AM
If you've ever seen a flamethrower in use, you'd know that it has limited range, and that it's slow to use.

Black Majik
April 12, 2005, 03:15 PM
Scored 86%. 92% better than my age group.

That was a fun test.

Randy in Arizona
April 12, 2005, 05:52 PM
Wasn't "A Boy and His Dog" a Don Johnson movie, based off of the graphic novel of umm... Harlan Ellison? Not to belittle the story on Frugal's, which is the only part I really read there.

Yes it is, I have a copy of the movie and I read the original story.
I don't know if the FS author knows of the earlier works. The name similarity doesn't bother me, I just hope the story will continue! :D :D :D

sharpie613
April 12, 2005, 06:22 PM
A flamethrower would be largely useless unless you had enough fuel and pressure to rapidly destroy tendons and musculature. Otherwise, you be making little fire soaked missles coming right for you! You'd also need an elevated fireproof position for protection from the ones you splash but don't kill. Fire is a relatively slow way to cause damage unless you have a way to toss napalm or rig up some fuel/air device you can toss.

If I had to be out in the open, I'd want a 12 gauge with 00 buck and a sword, plus someone similarly equipped to watch my back till I can get somewhere safe with my scoped .22. If I knew there wouldn't be many zombies(or if there were many of the slow variety), I'd opt for a pitchfork instead. Stab, shoot with hi-cap pistol, withdraw, rinse, repeat, and the zombie teeth are well away from my neck and arm.

I scored 88% and better than 96% of my age group.

Nitram68
April 12, 2005, 08:09 PM
92% and 98% on survival... I guess I spend too much time in survival forums and watching zombie movies :evil:

dustind
April 12, 2005, 08:19 PM
I think Gifted may be on to something. Even if zombies are not cold blooded they would still freeze to death.

I think the Dawn of the Dead director was to pessimistic about it being the end of the world and there being no way to win.

I also think the 5.7 could be the ultimate anti zombie round. With a .22LR for sniping non threats. Ammo for the 5.7 could be a problem though.

I would also make my own suppressor for any guns that I was bringing with me.

Too Many Choices!?
April 12, 2005, 11:27 PM
The ar-15 is the ultimate zombie survival tool(with a few upgrades neatly kept in a back-pack with the ammo)....

1. 22lr conversion kit for saving ammo when hold up on rooftops and such
2. Second ar-15 upper with larger caliber like 7.62x39with attacthed carry handle for hunting and two-legged non-undead foes plus I bet you could find an ar lower somewhere ;) police station or abandoned patrol cars and you double your arsenal !!!
3. Red dot on a 16" bull barreled ar upper in 5.56x45
4.. Dual drum(snail mag should get you from point A to point B) a good sling
5. Optional equipment- mounted light(might be too heavy with dual snail mag) and a 4x scope of some sort to see what I can't see
6.Lastly atleast.....200rounds of 7.62x39, 200rounds of 5.56x45 and 300-500 .22 lr......
Rambo eat your heart out.......That is a real one man, zombie destroying, army :evil: !!!!

cracked butt
April 13, 2005, 12:50 AM
Since you'll have a lot of free time and need to fill it with some entertainment, you need to build one of these, well make it two: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976382133.htm

Set it up at the closed end of a blind alley behind a wall of sandbags.

Have a friend either run or ride a motorcycle to attract as many zombies as possible into the kill zone of your alley.

have a second gatling gun set up for your friend.

Have a hundred or so loaded mags ready.

Have a glorious gory fun time!

Randy in Arizona
April 13, 2005, 05:53 PM
Too Many Choices!? Lastly at least.....200rounds of 7.62x39, 200rounds of 5.56x45 and 300-500 .22 lr......

Thousands and thousands of Zombies out there - - More Ammo!
:what: :what: :what:

Too Many Choices!?
April 13, 2005, 11:07 PM
:neener: ;)

Cosmoline
April 13, 2005, 11:40 PM
I'm willing to say the "Dawn of the Dead" was the best gun movie of 2004. Listening to the commentary track on the DVD has sealed the award as far as I'm concerned.

"I always think it's a great moment when a young man and an older woman can shoot it out at point blank range"

"Yeah, that doesn't happen very often. It should happen more."

"I find it really pleasing when I can see it"

--Directors commentary :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23713

sharpie613
April 14, 2005, 02:19 AM
I liked the part in the commentary when they said that they had to talk the armorer into using "real" weapons, rather than the dual Double Eagles that had been suggested for one character.

On a side note, I should be finishing my taxes...but zombie movies beckon!

River Wraith
April 14, 2005, 02:22 AM
I liked it, but I'd like to see a zombie movie in which the people won and the zombies were all killed.

River Wraith
April 14, 2005, 02:36 AM
I got 92 and 95 on survival.

medmo
April 14, 2005, 03:40 AM
Good Movie? Now go see "Shawn of the Dead".

enichols
April 14, 2005, 10:13 AM
Ahhh, I feel reassured.

Armed and Dangerous
Congratulations! You scored 86%!
You made it out, alive and well supplied. You probably even kept most of your party alive too. You know what to look for, what to take, and when to just run. You even feel a strange inkling to go back. If you did, you'd probably do just fine.

You scored higher than 92% on survivalpoints

Indy7373
April 14, 2005, 10:42 AM
Same as enichols

Armed and Dangerous
Congratulations! You scored 86%!

You scored higher than 92% on survivalpoints

How old are you? I am 21.

enichols
April 14, 2005, 01:00 PM
How old are you Nic? I am 21.

Indy7373- I'll be 21 in 15 days.

If you enjoyed reading about "So I finally saw Dawn of the Dead" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!