List your favorite Gun/Shooting Magazine

PDA

J Scott
December 31, 2002, 02:30 PM
Hello,

Right now I only subscribe to Guns&Ammo and American Rifleman.

My primary shooting interests are 1911's, Tactical/bolt action rifles and Single Action Revolvers.

Which gun "rags" do you recommend or which do you like?

Thanks for suggestions,

J Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "List your favorite Gun/Shooting Magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
50 Shooter
December 31, 2002, 02:37 PM
Very High Power (VHP), SOF, S.W.A.T., GWLE, G&A, American Rifleman and Guns.

4v50 Gary
December 31, 2002, 02:40 PM
Use to be Tactical Rifle, but that transformed into The Accurate Rifle and I've lost my interest. Right now, SWAT. Good balance of articles and no "hunting wheels" or "knives" type articles.

Will Fennell
December 31, 2002, 02:41 PM
First is a new magazine for us Sportingclay fans.... ClayshootingUSA.....

www.clayshootingusa.com

and second is the old standby, AmericanHandgunner;)

KRAUTGUNNER
December 31, 2002, 02:49 PM
German magazines: DEUTSCHES WAFFEN-JOURNAL and VISIER

US-magazines: RIFLE and HANDLOADER

12-34hom
December 31, 2002, 03:09 PM
The Varmint hunter & Precision Shooting.

12-34hom.

Jmurman
December 31, 2002, 03:22 PM
SOF and Combat Handguns...and of course American Rifleman

LWCmdr45
December 31, 2002, 03:59 PM
American Handgunner
Combat Handguns
Shooting Times
American Rifleman
Gun List

Steve

Schuey2002
December 31, 2002, 04:15 PM
DWJ and Visier are the best of the foreign gun magazines. COMBAT,a Japaneese magazine, is really cool as well, my problem is that I can't read a word of it.. :rolleyes:

My favorite US gun mag is Small Arms Review.. Machine Gun News use to fill that top spot.

I really enjoy S.W.A.T. magazine as well. :)

Poodleshooter
December 31, 2002, 04:15 PM
Shooting Times. About that only parts that I read are Rick Jamison's reloading information and Sheriff Jim Wilson's stories. The occassional new product story also peaks my interest. I prefer gun websites, as no "reviewers" on this site answer to advertisers. Magazine authors are always struggling to put in a positive word in their reviews, even when actions bind, sights slip out of dovetails and groups exceed 4" @ 100yds.

tomkatz
December 31, 2002, 04:27 PM
Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement
SWAT

tom

Soap
December 31, 2002, 04:36 PM
S.W.A.T. is the only magazine where I actually learn something. Most of the other magazines are fluff. The technical magazines are excellent, but not always relevant to my practical approach to shooting.

Mr. Hankey
December 31, 2002, 04:46 PM
Combat handguns and Handgunner.

Brian D.
December 31, 2002, 04:50 PM
Another vote for Combat Handguns. So what if one of the writers (Rick Miller) is a friend of mine? I swear I ain't biased!:p

CRUSHER
December 31, 2002, 04:54 PM
CH , GWL , Swat..

cratz2
December 31, 2002, 04:56 PM
I have a few scubcriptions from door-to-door 'I used to be on drugs but now I'm better' folks. I flip through them but most are just drivel. I have to be negative but I just pretty much skip anything by Jon Sundra or Duane Thomas.

I love the pics in American Handgunner and I like Clair Reese's writing. Cooper is good but out of the mainstream publications, I enjoy the 15-20-25-30 years ago articles the most.

pax
December 31, 2002, 05:01 PM
I like Women and Guns, but don't have a subscription.

pax

telewinz
December 31, 2002, 05:09 PM
Smallarms Review, expensive but alot of information

Mike Irwin
December 31, 2002, 05:48 PM
American Rifleman.

Has to be. I used to be on staff there.

blades67
December 31, 2002, 06:00 PM
Deutsches Waffen-Journal, the Blue Press, Combat Handguns, Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement and S.W.A.T. are some of my favorite :ar15: magazines.

http://www.visier.de/ is one of my favorite on-line magazines.

762x51
December 31, 2002, 06:10 PM
SWAT is the best out there right now I think. I also enjoy Shotgun News for ads and GW/LE for eye candy. :D

Nanook
December 31, 2002, 06:55 PM
American Rifleman, especially since it was revamped. American Handgunner, Handloading Magazine, and I still subscribe to Guns & Ammo. Shotgun news is nice to drool over, and now they even have articles.

nascarnhlnra
December 31, 2002, 07:01 PM
Why S.W.A.T. ofcourse you mean there are others :D

dadman
December 31, 2002, 07:10 PM
SWAT
Small Arms Review

JHP147
December 31, 2002, 07:11 PM
Hard choice of a #1, but I like three for various reasons, and don't even LOOK at any of the others anymore:
SWAT-best "non-hardware" articles and improving content, doesn't seem like one big infomercial.
American Handgunner-best pics
Combat Handguns-best "hardware" articles

OF
December 31, 2002, 07:15 PM
SWAT is the only subscription I keep. Come to think of it, it's the only one I read.

- Gabe

hipower22
December 31, 2002, 07:25 PM
Australian:

Australian Shooter, published by the Sporting Shooters Assoc.

American:

Handloader, Black Powder Cartridge News.

hansolo
December 31, 2002, 09:04 PM
S.W.A.T.

American Handgunner

NRA Rifleman

Combat Handguns

Shotgun News

enfwago
December 31, 2002, 10:01 PM
Right now, it is Guns and Ammo. But I am thinking of getting a subscription to S.W.A.T

sm
December 31, 2002, 10:08 PM
Gonna do S.W.A.T. in real near future
receive American Rifleman

Get most of what I need from you guys [shameless plug for TFL alum and THR] Hence reason for SWAT :D

Kahr carrier
January 1, 2003, 02:06 AM
Try Shotgun News Or Soldier Of Fortune they do a lot of gun test on Eastern block weapons.:ar15:

Chugach
January 1, 2003, 02:26 AM
American Rifleman
American Handgunner
Guns
Guns & Ammo

Occasionally,
Shotgun News
Shooting Times (for Rick Jamison, Sheriff Jim Wilson)
Combat Handguns

Checkin' out SWAT electronically

Bushrat
January 1, 2003, 02:29 AM
Magazines most read by me are:
Guns & Ammo
Shooting Times
American Rifleman
Combat Handguns

Yuck Mouth
January 1, 2003, 02:34 AM
Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement

SWAT

Combat Hanguns

Gunworld

Guns

American Handgunner

emann
January 1, 2003, 03:27 AM
Gun Tests, American Handgunner, Guns And Weapon's (for law enforcement), and American Rifleman are my favorites though I read some other's also.

geekay
January 1, 2003, 09:49 AM
Which is the official organ of the S.S.A.A. and I receive it as part of my annual subscription.:D I usually read every article for general interest but regardless of other considerations (family) always give the competition pages a thorough look. :what:

2dogs
January 1, 2003, 10:16 AM
Used to get:

Guns and Ammo

Combat Handguns

America's 1st Freedom (NRA)

Now only the "free" one to save $$.

redneck2
January 1, 2003, 10:22 AM
I've learned more from Handloader than about everything else put together. Those guys are actually hunters and shooters 1st and writers 2nd. I get "Rifle" 'cause it was a deal with "Handloader".

Lesse...Predator Master, and of course American Rifleman/American Hunter, NWTF and DU stuff

IMNSHO... almost all the mainstream stuff if just paid advertisement and pretty much useless to me

CAP
January 1, 2003, 11:28 AM
I think I still have subscriptions to G&A and American Handgunner, although I usually see them in the store weeks before mine arrive in the mail. :cuss:
American Rifleman also, and I will sometimes pick up a SWAT, Tactical Knives or other assorted gun rag.

GD
January 1, 2003, 11:33 AM
American rifleman and the issues of Shotgun News when the profile all the weapons over the last 3 years.

J Scott
January 1, 2003, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like I'll be adding SWAT to the collection.

I may be wrong but is there a rag called Rifle Magazine?

Happy New Year!!

J Scott

Dean Speir
January 4, 2003, 07:52 PM
I may be wrong but is there a rag called Rifle Magazine? Absolutely… it's a Wolfe Publication out of Arizona, and, like its sister periodical, Handloader, the bi-monthly Rifle has a very high "signal-to-noise ratio." Many of the more authoritative ( i.e., no B.S.) gunzine authors started out in those publications.

And one thing which has always piqued my curiosity… you who like to dismiss them with the pejorative "rags," why do you bother to read them?

Mike Irwin
January 4, 2003, 08:05 PM
I call all magazines rags, whether I love or hate them.

Invention and Technology and National Geographic? Bestest rags on the planet as far as I'm concerned.

Brian D.
January 6, 2003, 10:14 AM
Nice to see you here! Like Mike Irwin said, "rag" is just a slang term to me. And I've been known to call the writers themselves "hacks"--to their faces as well as behind their backs-- from time to time, all in fun! Now, don't you have a deadline to meet, get back to work!:p (That was my impression of an editor BTW, how'd I do?)

JohnBT
January 6, 2003, 11:25 AM
I buy Precision Shooting.
I get American Rifleman.

John

J.Gillespie
January 6, 2003, 10:30 PM
"Combat handguns" is my favorite. I love how Ayoob gets into real life senerios from past cases.

Zip06
January 6, 2003, 10:43 PM
Gun Tests.

If you enjoyed reading about "List your favorite Gun/Shooting Magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!