Lost a screw in my SIG

PDA

SIGfiend
April 9, 2005, 06:10 AM
When cleaning my new model SIG I noticed one of my four screws was missing from the left side grip. I am guessing that the recoil over time loosened it and it fell off without me hearing it (probably because of the ear muffs). How much does a simple black SIG replacement screw cost?

SIG's site is complicated and doesn't seem to confirm whether I can buy just that piece. It says minimum orders $25... :cuss:

For a 10 cent screw that is awfully harsh.

What methods do I have in getting an OEM replacement?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a screw in my SIG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HighVelocity
April 9, 2005, 07:04 AM
Midway sells Hogue grip screws for Sigs:
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?tabid=7&categoryid=15115&categorystring=10613***662***10356***

Or try one of the online auction sites or a gunshow.

wally
April 9, 2005, 08:59 AM
The S&H charges eat your lunch fore small cheap items like grip screws, while they should cost $0.10 few are much less than $1.00 because each maker uses a "special" screw :(

If you can wait, try the next gun show. The S&H you aren't paying should pay your ticket and at least you are getting something for it. If you can't wait, order the screw and maybe an extra mag or box of ammo so you don't feel so bad about the S&H gouge :)

--wally.

jeff-10
April 9, 2005, 03:45 PM
Damn, same thing happened to me. The local gunsmith I use keeps them on hand because he said that was a common problem with Sigs. When he gave me a replacement I loctited mine in

BryanP
April 9, 2005, 04:10 PM
You can order them from Hogue as well. (http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchant.ihtml?id=97&step=2)

A bit pricey but notice that's for either two or four screws depending on the model.

larry starling
April 9, 2005, 04:23 PM
Sigfiend I have 4 screws for a p-220 there yours if you want them! contact me and mail me a self addressed stamped envelope and I will get them off to you I upgraded to SS hex screws! :evil:

Siggyboy
April 9, 2005, 09:25 PM
That's nice of you Larry. I think the 220 screws work with only two models, the 220 and 225 (I think).

The one weak link remaining with the classic Sigs is that the grip screws tend to come loose. I swap mine out with T.J.'s hex head screws, which you can get from Brownells.

SIGfiend
April 9, 2005, 09:52 PM
siggy if you tighten them down harder with the screwdriver will they be okay?

SIGfiend
April 11, 2005, 01:28 AM
while i do like the hex screws, i prefer the conventional flat head ones because if i were in theorretically the middle of nowhere, i could tighten them back down with you guessed it--a flathead screwdriver which can be found everywhere (or a dime for that matter). whereas the hex keys are a little harder to come by

GunnySkox
April 11, 2005, 02:03 AM
Watch out, y'all, this fiend's got a screw loose!

~Slam_Fire

Man, that was terrible.

texagun
April 11, 2005, 07:40 AM
Why not call Sig Customer Service and explain the situation...that you lost a screw due to recoil and that you don't want to pay the $25 minimum fee. I'll bet they will send you a free screw. The are very pleasant to deal with.

JNewell
April 11, 2005, 04:04 PM
I'll bet they will send you a free screw

They did do this in the past; haven't had reason to call for a while, so I don't know if they still do. Give it a try.

Hawk
April 11, 2005, 09:58 PM
I'll bet they will send you a free screw
I second.

I called just to see if the screws for the P239 interchanged with another model as I couldn't find P239's listed at Hogue.

Guy at the other end advised:
1. no - P239 is alone.
2. Grip screws available in exchange for my address.

Showed up in a couple days with a spiffy gimme sticker. Guess I should have posted in the "feedback" forum with a bunch of smilies.

SIG made a friend for life for the cost of a 0.10 screw.

OTOH, Beretta mags for the titanium Tomcat were a long winded, ultimately discontinued, nightmare - unauthorized substitution for a standard Tomcat mag at full retail with chargable freight (to include a 5 pound catalog I already had 2 of from the Gallery). If I didn't like the guns so much, I'd be irritated.

Coronach
April 11, 2005, 10:20 PM
concur. My P232 lost a grip screw. They sent me two, free.

Mike

Berg01
April 11, 2005, 10:20 PM
After I also lost one of the stock slotted screws, I bought the Hogue hex head screws for my P228 at a local gunstore. These worked out great for me!

SIGfiend
April 15, 2005, 09:03 PM
I called SIG and left a message on their general voice mailbox regarding getting replacement screws for my 220. They didn't call back... :fire: :cuss: :confused: :( :mad:

oscar
April 15, 2005, 09:26 PM
Put a drop of clear nail polish on them and they will stay tight.

MICHAEL T
April 15, 2005, 09:45 PM
I don't have a Sig but I got screwed cause I own a Llama :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Lost a screw in my SIG" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!