Hk Usp Breaking!

PDA

The Dutchman
April 9, 2005, 07:37 PM
I just back from the shooting range with my HK USP 45. When I was there I asked the main tactical shooter what he thought of HK USP's mainly because I am very proud of my gun. Be sure this guy was actually pretty nice compared to the guys at the LAX range :mad: . He told me that HK USP's are overpriced pieces of sh*t. I was shocked by his answer. He also said that whenever he sells them within months they break. I asked him what he shot and he said 1911's. Be sure I am a huge fan of 1911's. Thats the handgun my WW2 veteran grandpa first taught me to shoot with and I have been shooting them ever since I was 9. I am 21 now and I wanted a more modern handgun. I purchased the USP 45 on my 21st birthday after spending a lot of time and money testing handguns including many Kimber's. I know the USP will never ever be the handgun the 1911 is. But now I wanted to ask everyone out there if you have heard anything like this before, because I haven't. I am not upset if people tell me the truth but of all the years I have been reading about USP's this is the first time I have heard something like this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hk Usp Breaking!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Archie
April 9, 2005, 08:21 PM
How many rounds do you currently have through your pistol? How old is it? Is it broke?

I have a USP40, about six years old now. I don't shoot it a lot these days, but the first year or so I must have put 600-700 round down it. It ain't broke yet.

I question the authority of a "...main tactical shooter..." who seems to be a salesman. Just my own bias.

boofus
April 9, 2005, 08:23 PM
My H&K's must be defective. My Mark 23 hasn't had a single FTE, FTF, or failure to cycle, even when gunked out with carbon, grime, and suppressor coolant. No one told me it was supposed to break 2 years ago. :o

Come to think of it, never had any problems with ANY of my H&Ks. Not even the 20 year old New Jersey police P7M8 I used to carry. Or the 8 year old USP Tactical I carry now.

Either he is full of crap, or he is selling USPs exclusively to WWF pro-wrestlers, football linemen, and that gorilla from the samsonite luggage commercials.

The Dutchman
April 9, 2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys, My usp is still very young.......less than a month old and roughly 100 rounds have been passed through it with only one load jam.

Cawdor
April 9, 2005, 09:29 PM
It's nonsense.

You can read more about the USP at HKPro (http://www.hkpro.com/contents.htm) and The Unofficial Heckler & Koch USP Home Page (http://www.streetpro.com/usp/).

OF
April 9, 2005, 09:41 PM
Crapola. My USP40 must have 4 or 5 thousand through it at least and it's the most reliable handgun I've ever used or even heard of. I think I've had two failures in the whole time I've owned it and both were very obviously ammo-induced. And that with me putting off cleaning it like I was going to the dentist.

The USP quietly lives up to the reliability that the Glock claims.

The only weak point in the design I know of is that they have a tendency to break firing pins if dry fired extensively without a snap cap in place.

- Gabe

cslinger
April 9, 2005, 10:04 PM
Well they are indeed overpriced but other than that he is full of it.

My guess is he had a bad experience with a HK and is now soured on the brand.

I personally will never own a Kel Tec due to personal experience. Course I won't say the entire brands sucks because there sure are lots of folks who love them.

Chris

SouthpawShootr
April 9, 2005, 10:10 PM
Don't trouble yourself with what someone else thinks of your gun. I find USPs very well made. They're over priced. Customer service could be improved. But the quality is there, no doubt about it.

Onmilo
April 10, 2005, 11:06 AM
Yeah, H&K pistols are so crappy that they have consistantly EXCEEDED the standards of reliability & accuracy test that was required for the 1911 pistol.

Heck I love 1911 pistols but reality is reality and H&K handguns are darn good.

P0832177
April 10, 2005, 04:26 PM
If that is true, then there is something wrong with my USP. I shoot one ragged hole at 50ft. Gee, oh let me think. The gun is 4 years old. It has 20K down the tube! And, it has been through 3 handgun courses, one shotgun course, and a carbine course! Oh, I forgot the only malfunctions have been induced by dummy rounds loaded into mags by the instructor or myself for practice purposes. The magazine springs have all been replaced with Wolff's. The gun is champ! So what if the trigger can not be tuned! It is service pistol, not a race gun!

Then there is the little brother, that has about half that many rounds down the tube! It is like the energizer bunny!

Quit worrying and start shooting!

Gixerman1000
April 10, 2005, 05:07 PM
Man people like that piss me off!!! :cuss:

My USP45 tactical and USP40 stainless have been perfect.

stealthmode
April 10, 2005, 07:55 PM
dutch

how did the guy say the USP's broke was it some internal part breaking or some catastrophic failure, the ejector chip, or sights come loose? you should provide examples of how the guy says the guns are supposed to break if he gave them to you or you should of asked for examples from him. the only problem i have with my USP is that the grip frame walls are a little thin.

George Hill
April 10, 2005, 08:30 PM
That guy is an idiot.

larryw
April 10, 2005, 08:41 PM
I have no doubt what he says is true. An expert like that doesn't need to read the instructions that came with the gun or the bright orange sitcker on the grip, and he probably racked the slide with the lock engaged.

The USP isn't 100% idiot proof (about as close as a gun can be from a mechanical sense, but not 100%)...even I haven't been able to break either example in my safes.

Maybe he's getting HK and Glock confused? :neener: <ducking for cover>

The Dutchman
April 10, 2005, 08:42 PM
The guy there basically said that the HK USP's he sells end up have some sort of catatrophic internal failure due to bad engineering within months. And that they always get Glocks afterwards because they are a better made guns or 1911's because of their inherent simplicity.

12-34hom
April 10, 2005, 09:35 PM
H&k's are excellent combat pistols, owned 2 so far. A full sized model and a compact. But were utterly reliable and accurate from the factory. They are just as good as most 1911 style weapons. If they EVER come out with a USP chambered in 10mm that would be as close to nirvana for a handgun as one could get!

As far as your "tactical" friend goes, just put him on your ignore list... ;)

12-34hom

HKGuns
April 10, 2005, 09:37 PM
He showed you the lack of depth of his knowledge. He probably followed it up by saying if it ain't no 1911 it ain't no real dern gun.

Take whatever he says with a severe dose of reality.

cosmonick
April 10, 2005, 11:24 PM
Now larryw, I love my G35, so be careful :)

Dutchman,
Like everyone has said, HK USP is an excellent pistol. My younger brother has had one for about 5 years. He is very rough on his firearms (which has left me wanting to rescue his USP) and he has never had a single faliure of any kind. I think this pistol has only been cleaned a few times, ever.

Mo

psyopspec
April 10, 2005, 11:37 PM
2 USPs, a full size 9mm and a compact .45. Roughly 2000 rounds between them and no malfunctions. My HKs must be from the same batch that boofus got his from. Ignore the mall-ninja and go with what works for you.

ILLINI
April 11, 2005, 12:06 AM
Lots of folks sending out their USP's to gunsmiths for "reliability packages", but not their 1911's. Wait... is it the other way around? :D

Mikul
April 11, 2005, 01:12 PM
I have lost count of the number of rounds through my USP, but it's certainly over 35,000 rounds. I have had two parts break (firing pin and recoil spring washer), but nothing broke on the gun for the first 25,000 rounds. With that high of a round count on any gun, things will eventually break.

1911's have problems inherent in their design that USPs do not (feed ramp geometry and that silly grip safety). They are very picky about their ammunition due to the steep feed ramp (it's more of a wall than a ramp), and they are very picky with their magazines. The magazine issue is a PITA because you can't just buy "good" magazines. While a Wilson or Chip McCormick mag will feed one 1911 through mud and snow, it can cause constant feeding problems is another. 1911's also eat recoil springs. The suggested change frequency is 3,000 rounds. I have NEVER changed the recoil spring (or any other spring) in my USP.

A 1911 can be a fine firearm once you learn what it likes, but it has a bunch of problems that need to be overcome than don't exist in the USP.

Boats
April 11, 2005, 01:47 PM
I don't have an opinion on the USP other than to say I never warmed up to my .45 USPc and sold it off, but the "problems" of the 1911 on this thread are vastly overstated.

So don't let anyone hurt your feelings by calling your USP an overpriced POS, an ergonomic nightmare, a wannabe's tool, or a paper tiger. If you like it, shoot it and keep it. However, going on about how a 1911 won't feed, that they all need reliability packages, etc., is just a display of ignorance to the other extreme.

Do some 1911s have functioning problems? Yes, how could they not given that they are made by everyone from those using aerospace tolerances, to indifferently cast framed third world eyeballing, and every manufacturing process inbetween?

To go from the hugely varying production qualities onto saying that every 1911 needs work out of the box is just as big a stretch as saying all HKs are crap.

rick_reno
April 11, 2005, 01:56 PM
My USP compact in 45 acp has between 6000 and 7000 rounds thru it - and it's one of two 45's I own to have never experienced a failure to feed, fire and eject. It's also never broken. The other 45 to run perfectly is my Les Baer. I also have Glocks, Sigs, Colts and Kimbers - all have malfunctioned.

CombatArmsUSAF
April 11, 2005, 02:06 PM
Don't have much experience with HK but I have heard that the barrels don't stand up well. Other than that I heard they are a great gun.

Lobotomy Boy
April 11, 2005, 02:11 PM
Dutchman, I think this dude was yanking your chain. I don't care for the USP because it doesn't fit my hand, but that is my problem and not the gun's. The HK USP is without doubt one of the best built guns available.

30 cal slob
April 11, 2005, 02:15 PM
I caught the same kinda crap on another forum when I wrote about some problems I had with a Sig. So I'm not gonna sit here and make a blanket judgement about what that guy said...

...but right now I'm looking at a few compact HK USP's in .357 Sig. :D

Sean Smith
April 11, 2005, 02:16 PM
I don't even like USPs, and I can tell you the guy is a ******bag.

P0832177
April 11, 2005, 02:16 PM
Barrels, the only thing with HK barrels is that they are not lead bullet friendly! And, if that is the case the SOCOM pistol is a waste, too!

tetchaje1
April 11, 2005, 02:50 PM
If you would have reacted the way he was hoping you would, I bet he would have offered to "take the POS off your hands" for cheap. :rolleyes:

My USP Compact 40 has never malfunctioned. It is so reliable that it is almost boring. This last Saturnday I blew a reload during IDPA and dropped the mag nose-down into the mud. Not even thinking about it, I grabbed it up and slapped it into the mag-well and proceded to finish the stage without any hiccups. Afterwards I looked at the top of the mag and the feedlips and front of the mag were caked with mud.

I swear that gun would shoot rocks if I could get them into the chamber... :uhoh:

Universal
April 11, 2005, 04:22 PM
Disclaimer: I am not bashing H&K here but as a former LE firearms instructor I have seen my share of problem guns and all but one H&K I ever dealt with had some sort of problem.

I am actually in agreement that they are way overpriced. The main problem I saw was the slide failing to lock back when the magazine was empty. I saw that on three USP 45s and one .40 cal. The worst thing I ever saw was the slide flying off a USP .40 cal at the range. To be fair, that may have had more to do with the owner not putting it back together correctly. No one seems to know for sure as the owner sort ran off and hid for a while.

I am not completely sure but I would say that I have seen about five or six H&K handguns fired and only one did not have a problem.

I should add that I do not agree with the person who called H&Ks crap and I do not agree that they will fall apart or anything like that. I am simply pointing out that the examples I have seen seemed to have some problems.

svtruth
April 11, 2005, 04:54 PM
If that is his sincere opinion, why does he continue to sell them?

CaesarI
April 11, 2005, 08:37 PM
Both the 1911 and the HK USP are good pistols. Most people who are knowledgeable on the matter consider both to be very good weapons. Some people are so blinded by the virtues of one that they cannot see the virtues of other firearms.

They only common complaint about the USP (and then only the USP 45) is that the grip is too wide. Personally I do not find this to be so, having just handled one that a smaller handed woman at the range was having great difficulty with. My biggest objection to the USP is its rather high bore axis, but that is a common failing of most modern guns, and I am *very* spoiled with my H&K P7 which has the lowest bore axis of any major caliber pistol I've ever heard of.

The USP has selectable "cocked and locked" carry (a feature I consider most highly), and unmatched durability. Up until the expiration of the magazine ban it may not have been worth the grip size penalty over the 1911, however if your hands fit, it is probably the cheapest *quality* combat .45 on the market.

The 1911, when properly tuned, has the best trigger I have ever felt on any pistol. This is probably its greatest virtue. A well put together version of a 1911, with all the major accessories makes the 1911 *more* expensive than an HK USP (generally about $1000 - $2000 vs. $800), but what you get for that price is the 1911's heavenly trigger, with durability that is unmatched, (although even a combat tuned 1911 will not be as tolerant for abuse as a USP).

-Morgan

Rinspeed
April 12, 2005, 10:14 AM
That guy is an idiot and I wouldn't listen to a word he says.

Rinspeed

armoredman
April 12, 2005, 10:32 AM
I worked at an indoor range where the local PD came to test fire reparied pistols - the HK USP 40 at the time(since swapped to Glock 22), and thier armorer was there every single day with a load of pistols to try again. We had 6 USPs on our rental shelf when I started, and 2 when I left 1.5 years later, and one of them needed a new recoil spring assembly. HK makes some outstanding equipment, (MP5, P7, etc), but the experiance of hard, constant use for the USPs seem to indicate a shorter service life than expected. One local officer came in on shift to blast a few, and had his USP fail to fire every other round.
If yours works fine, and does what you ask of it, great, but speaking from what I have seen, the USP does not tend to generally live up the the well deserved HK reputation.

raz-0
April 12, 2005, 01:30 PM
EVERY make and model of gun has problems. Period. Since joining USPSA, I've seen one heck of a lot of glock failures for it being the most reliable gun in the world. A heck of a lot of 1911 failures too. Beretta 92 derivatives and USPs on the other hand seem to never fail. Teh key word is SEEM though as they are not represented nearly as well as the glock and 1911 platforms.

I've put several thousands of rounds through my USP, and I hate the gun. The trigger is abysmal and just simply doesn't do it for me. But I never worry about the thing going bang. I've let it go 1500 rounds without cleaning and it still ran like a top. A dirty, nasty top I didn't want to handle anymore, so it got cleaned despite not reaching the end of the experiment. All the USPs I have seen have been very reliable guns that are inherently accurate, but have a nasty trigger that makes you work harder than you need to to be accurate.

I've got a 1911 and a baby eagle that didn't start out nearly as reliable as that. With some tinkering and/or some proper maintenance, they both will shoot a thousand rounds between cleanings without issue if I clean and lube them properly at the start.

All guns wear eventually, and you have to stay on top of things like springs, extractors, etc. to keep one functioning properly.

pbhome71
April 12, 2005, 06:17 PM
I give you my 2 cents.

I have a used USP 40. This is not a new pistol. It is a refurbished USP40 from HK. The price was right... $420.00 in 2000, I think (cheaper than my Glock 19.) It has stiff main spring. Therefore stiff trigger pull. I have a problem with fail to fire on double-action, but only if I pull the trigger slowly. It must have been timing related. What happened is when I pulled the trigger slowly, the hammer falled and the hammer block engaged at the same time. This prevent the hammer to hit the firing pin.

I put in a softer main spring, and learn to pull the trigger faster and it has been working fine since.

I heard that it is not good to dry fry USP. I believe that it can damage the firing pin. I think I heard it from last year post here. Let me see if I can find it.

It is a good weapon. I like mine once I used to how it works.

-Pat

Edited to note: BTW, I noticed the USP40 that I have had non fully supported chamber. I can see the brass buldge, and I don't reuse the brass. Anyone notices the same thing?

The Dutchman
April 12, 2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks guys for your imput.... Don't apologize if you have some stories to tell me on how some HK's have failed...thats why I posted this thread so I can hear what other people have seen and what their imput is. My experience is that I first used the USP when I rented it at a shooting range. The one I rented looked like it was never cleaned and roughly 5 years old. I am not going to name the range but it is known within my shooting community to not clean or maintain their guns very well...anyway I went their cause they were the only range to rent out the USP's and they were relatively close to my house. I must have shot 300 rounds through that gun in less than 2 hours!! I never had one jam. I am a huge glock fan but when I rented a glock from that same place I had two jams in about 200 rounds....this didn't bother the least. These guns are never cleaned and maintained and to have two small extraction jams in two hundred rounds is very good to me. But the reliablilty of the USP under those conditions and that fact that I was able to shoot 1" groups relavtively well is what made me chose the USP as my first handgun.
Its very interesting to me that the two people who recommended the USP to me were Law Enforcement officials....and the 3 people who told me to get a Sig or Glock instead were also Law Enforcement officials, so the final decision for me to choose it was that one incident of fantastic reliability. The three officials reasons for being against the USP was that the trigger is awful and very "toy-like". Since then one has started using the USP 45 with a match tigger installed. The others still say the USP is crap compared to the Sig, Glock, or 1911. One thing I think we can all agree on is that the USP is way way way overpriced. I really did appreciate all the responses..so thank you all for giving me some more insight on the USP performance nomatter how great or terrible the stories about it may be. :)

GSB
April 12, 2005, 09:40 PM
I heard that it is not good to dry fry USP. I believe that it can damage the firing pin. I think I heard it from last year post here. Let me see if I can find it.

I think the fashionable caveat for the USP used to be not to dry fire it without a snap cap, although people who know things (as opposed to me) assure me there should be no issue with dry firing against an inertial firing pin without a snap cap (I just shrug. I have no empirical experience which such matters). But it did seem a couple of years ago that quite a few people on the gun boards were complaining about broken firing pins in USPs. I don't know, my USP 45 had several thousand rounds and a four day handgun class in blowing desert dust go through it with no malfunctions of any type (however, a friend of mine learned the hard way not to put Wolf through a USP -- had to tap out the case it got so badly stuck in the chamber. Hey,it's Wolf after all.).

By my experience, it's fine, accurate, perfectly reliable firearm, but unltimately was not my cup of tea and I really can't tell you why, except for the fact that I simply cannot do a smooth tactical magazine change with those giant honkin' double stacks.

litework
April 13, 2005, 02:03 PM
I have to go against the common grain about the HK USP’s pricing. I think they’re priced fairly in the market when compared to similar pistols. The USP is a very unique pistol in that it is most often on everyone’s short list of pistols they want to consider for defense, because it can be had in every possible configuration one can imagine. It is unique in that it is the only high capacity pistol that I’m aware of that can be carried DA/SA, SA and locked, heavy DAO or light DAO (LEM). The safety can be placed on the left, right or both sides of the gun or it can be carried sans the safety. It is also the only mass produced pistol I know of that gives you the option of changing your mind after you’ve purchased the pistol. I am willing to pay for this diversity. They could take the Glock route and offer one action in a particular product line with a right hand only mag release, no slide release, or external safety and lower the price considerably. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. It might make a lot of people happy, but I’d personally hate it and hope they never go in this direction. A lot of companies are forcing us to give in and live with the features they feel are necessary on a pistol. This is easier to manufacture and the cost savings can be forwarded to the customer. I prefer options.

The Dutchman
December 2, 2005, 05:40 AM
Well, its been a few months since I posted this thread and I just wanted to give an update. After that incident I made notes of how much of what ammo I have shot thru it in order to see what ammo works the best. I am very happy to say that I have fired my 3,000 round thru it yesterday!!!!! The only feed failure I had encountered was the one during the breaking in period within the first 20 rounds ever fired thru the gun. I fed it all types of ammo full powered and low powered but the USP functioned flawlessly. I would also like to comment that I have never returned to that shooting range after that incident. To make someone loose confidence in their only home defense gun
(at the time)knowing full well how important that is as a certified firearms and defense instructor is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!:cuss: I hear this all the time from my fellow shooting friends that when they go shooting and take classes at various facilities instructors insult their guns ( Glocks, HK's,Sigs, various revolvers) with the 1911 or die mentality!!

gudel
December 2, 2005, 05:48 AM
Which shooting range is this somewhere in LA?
I'll be sure to bring all of my HK's next time around. Do tell :D

2k5Adam
December 2, 2005, 06:15 AM
Congrats on your 3000th round! I'l be there soon enough with my USP-c 40. Arent you glad you listened to THR and kept the USP? :D

P0832177
December 2, 2005, 09:46 AM
Every one has bias towards various platforms! People who spew their opinions, and like opinions they are like the distal end of the alimentary canal.

Enjoy your HK! I now have well over 25K through my fullsize HK. It just keeps on chugging along! The paint on the decocker and frame is worn, but that is easy fix!

Go shoot and enjoy your gun! It is one of the best service grade pistols on the market. I like my 13 rounds of Federal HST.

Black Majik
December 2, 2005, 03:46 PM
"Dont believe everything the gunshop commandos tell ya."

WT
December 2, 2005, 04:00 PM
I consider myself a true 1911 affectionado. I bought a H&K USP .45 Compact because I wanted a 'Commander' sized, high-tech gun with a manual of arms similar to a 1911. The HK fit the bill.

Now, as much as I love the 1911, if I were dropped in the middle of no-where, with a BOB, end of the world situation, I would choose the HK over the 1911. It is drop dead reliable and accurate. It always works.

wingman
December 2, 2005, 04:09 PM
Gun range experts are somewhat like airport bums they all have strong opinions on there favorite sport which must be taken with a grain of
salt, they always seem to find fault with what you have.:)
Ignore and enjoy.

fastbolt
December 2, 2005, 05:41 PM
If the modern semiauto pistols in common use by L/E and the military didn't ever require some correction or repair the manufacturers wouldn't be supporting their various certified armorer's training programs, nor would parts be produced in 'spare' quantities.

The breaking firing pins are supposedly not a frequent occurrence, and may be more in the past.

If you don't screw around with the internal parts the pistol is less likely to have 'issues'.

I agree that the HK USP series is over-priced, but they can get what they charge, so why shouldn't they?

While the overall size and grip ergonomics don't particularly appeal to me, and the trigger isn't anything special ... not by a long shot, no pun intended ... the platform is certainly fine for general service usage for most folks.

The average USP is sufficiently accurate for service use.

I wouldn't want to use one in very cold conditions, nor would I want to drop one that's been subjected to very cold weather onto a hard surface, nor subject the frames to high impact forces ... but I could say that about a lot of the polymer-framed service pistols available. Call it a wash ...

I know an armorer for an agency which adopted the standard USP chambered in .45 ACP in the last couple of years, and the only real functioning issues he and his staff have observed in their training he's attributed to insufficient user cleaning & lubrication ... especially insufficient lubrication.

HK's customer service is anything but legendary.

I also think the USP has about enough parts for it to qualify as an honorary cuckoo clock. :neener: (Not necessarily a "bad thing", as long as you don't get curiuous and try to take it apart). It's annoying, though, when owners/users bring in a bag or box of loose parts, and expect us to drop everything we're doing to instantly figure out which parts they've lost, damaged or broken ...

I generally don't pay undue and unwarranted attention to folks spouting information, not until I have some reason to trust their knowledge, experience and the actual source of the information they're giving out ... and determine whether or not it actually means anything in the greater picture. :)

... the main tactical shooter ...
Having some small amount of experience training some L/E 'tactical shooters', I can think of a small sampling that obviously had much more use for their mouths than their ears, and seemed to lack the sense to realize the imbalance ... :uhoh:

Every time I hear something ... either good, not-so-good or bad ... I ask questions in order to try and validate the information, or at least gain a better understanding of why the person relaying the information is doing so. It shouldn't hurt a "professional's" feelings to be questioned about such things, anyway. Asking questions are how most of us learn, right? Not a bad idea to be a bit discerning regarding the source and the answers, though ... :scrutiny:

Congrats on your new HK USP.

Read the manual.

Read it again.

Read it some more. Keep doing it until you KNOW what you ought to know.

Become familiar with all aspects of the safe & proper handling, maintenance, loading, shooting & unloading ... just to name a few things.

Memorize the basic 4 safety rules. Never violate them.

Don't shoot crap ammo (Okay, to be more PC, always use high quality, new factory ammunition of the appropriate caliber, etc., etc.).

Remember that seeking validation via the internet is sometimes about as potentially useful as seeking it from the local range 'tactical shooter'. ;)

There's that discernment thing again.

I'm nobody's 'expert' anything, BTW. Just my rambling thoughts ...

Enjoy ...

gudel
December 2, 2005, 06:33 PM
I disagree that HK USP is overpriced. The whole gun is made in Germany while the S*G commands the same price while it's not wholy made in Germany; slide/barrel are made here.
I thought the whole deal with made in the US to make it cheaper like the Beretta.

Look who's overpriced now.:rolleyes:

Bobarino
December 2, 2005, 07:44 PM
some folks have irrational hatred towards things they don't care for. i have a USP-C .40 with just over 10k rounds through it. i broke the firing pin from dry firing it too much. not the gun's fault. had a few ammo induced FTF's but again, nothing that was the gun's fault. i think the recoil spring may need to be replaced soon. it seems to "feel" slower going into battery lately. could just be my imagination though. springs are wear items though and are not expected to last forever. anywho, your USP if properly cared for will be a great gun for years and years and years. next time, see how red his face gets when you tell him that 1911's are outdated pieces of junk. :neener:

Bobby

Caseless
December 2, 2005, 08:41 PM
Full size, Compact, Tactical, Expert, Elite, P2000, P2000SK
Yes, they will break...your wallet if you are not careful. :evil:

BlkHawk73
December 2, 2005, 08:44 PM
Brought home another a couple weeks ago (Elite). Not becasue my others broke but because they continue to run without any probelsm whatsoever.

Val USP
December 2, 2005, 10:59 PM
I got my USP40c just a few month and it's almost 1K on it.
So, it's looks like and feels like a young girl and I LOVE IT :)

I am looking forward to meet another girl - P3000 :p

JohnKSa
December 3, 2005, 12:21 AM
There are a lot of people who have very strong feelings about what guns other people should own.

The feelings are often strong enough that they are willing to lie in their attempts to dissuade people from buying some brands.

It's unfortunate for two reasons.

People are sometimes dissuaded from buying perfectly good firearms by people giving bad advice and outright lying.

Others are so used to seeing these kinds of shenanigans that they will refuse good advice, thinking that they are being manipulated or lied to.

LBTRS
December 3, 2005, 01:20 AM
He's an idiot. I own three HK USP's and never had a malfunction or problem with any of them. I also know many other shooters that have them and never heard of a problem with them. You'll soon learn there are a lot of clueless "gun nuts" running around.

LBTRS

MachIVshooter
December 3, 2005, 01:39 AM
Over-priced? definitely. POS? Absolutely not. I had a USP stainless .45 and it ran flawlessly through thousands of rounds. Very accurate to boot. That said, it was blocky and the trigger gaurd would wear my trigger finger raw after only 300 or so rounds. I never disliked the gun, but it was quickly sold when a LNIB S&W 1006 showed up when I was broke. I may eventually buy another USP, but there are a lot of other guns higher on my list (namely a Tanfoglio Witness stock custom 10mm and Beretta 682 Gold 12 gauge). But don't go sellin' your USP on one buffoon's assessment. It is horsehockey. HK makes damn nice guns, despite their ego and swollen price tags.

10-Ring
December 3, 2005, 02:34 AM
WOW! :what: I have 4 USPs in various sizes & calibers w/ 45k+ (no lie, 45,000+ !) rounds total through them w/o a single hiccup....damn, how much more unreliable & less dependable can they get????? :scrutiny:

kingston_fisher
December 3, 2005, 11:10 AM
The guy there basically said that the HK USP's he sells end up have some sort of catatrophic internal failure due to bad engineering within months. And that they always get Glocks afterwards because they are a better made guns or 1911's because of their inherent simplicity.

Yeah, that guy is an idiot.

I've got 6 USP's. One is an ex-range gun. Compact 9mm, God only knows how many rounds its had through it. I demo'ed it before I bought it. Ran a few hundred rounds through its ugly, worn carcass. It had zero FTE's, FTF's. No problems what so ever. I took it home cleaned 8 or 9 years of crud out of it and have ran 500 or so more rounds through it since then. Zero problems.

Some sort of catatrophic internal failure ? Bullshxt, if I sold someone a gun and it had any type of failure that caused it to come back into my shop. I could tell you exactly what went wrong with it. I dxmn sure wouldn't give some vague statement about what went wrong with it. That guy doesn't move enough HK's to make money off of them so he pushes what he can get the highest profit margin with. Which, obviously is what ever 1911 variant he sells the most of and Glocks.

When your USP has a catatrophic internal failure E-mail me. I buy it off of you for a fair price. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hk Usp Breaking!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!