3-gun gear questions

PDA

SpookyPistolero
April 10, 2005, 03:05 AM
Hello all!

I have not yet gotten started in 3-gun but would like to very much. I am going to try to run it with an AK, hopefully with a krebs rear peep sight instead of the standard rear sight, if I can find one. I'd also like to use my 870 police and glock 17.

I think I've gotten settled into the guns I will use but am starting to wonder about gear. How do most people hold their spare rifle mags? Especially an AK mag, since all I see are AR holders? Are mag clips legal to hold the first two together on the rifle?

I saw 3gungear.com (thanks to Zak Smith, who I have pestered relentlessly on this subject) and like their 5 rnd shotgun shell holders that attach to the belt. That seems like it should take care of it well.

A double mag pouch for the glock and I think I'd be fine. (So the main question is about the AK mag pouch.)

Thoughts, comments, snide remarks?

If you enjoyed reading about "3-gun gear questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zak Smith
April 10, 2005, 05:04 AM
Hi SP,

I think you'll run out of belt real-estate using those 5-round holders. For example, in a 25 round stage, you'd need about 4 of them, assuming you don't shoot much extra. And with 4, you won't have much room left over for a holster or pistol mag pouches. Those Choate belt carriers do 6 or more each, and are faster to load from since you can easily grab 3 or 4 at a time.

For the rifle, Mag-cinches are generally legal. Since few rifle stages are over 60 rounds, a lot of people just stick an extra mag in their back pocket. Alternatively, try a single or double mag pouch from 3GG or elsewhere for the extra rifle mags. On high round count stages, I put two in a 3GG double carrier, one in my back pocket, and one in the gun.

If AK mags won't fit in an AR15 mag pouch, I suggest looking at 308 (M1A or FAL) mag pouches, e.g. from 3GG again.

-z

SpookyPistolero
April 10, 2005, 11:53 AM
Hehe, I hadn't even thought about running out of belt space. I will look at the choate belt holder today. I am mostly trying to get into this without looking like a character from 'Hot Shots: Part Duex'.

Also a good idea about using the .308 pouch from 3GG. I should probably just write them an email and see what they have to say anyway, I'm sure they've had the question before.

(Unrelated PS - Did you know bulgarian waffle mags are only $12 a pop? I thought they were a lot more. Good stuff.)

SpookyPistolero
April 10, 2005, 12:01 PM
Zak,

You wouldnt' happen to know of an online joint that sells those would you? I remember having seen the choate holders, but cant find them online anywhere.

Hoser
April 10, 2005, 02:19 PM
You wouldnt' happen to know of an online joint that sells those would you?
Speedshooters and Als Custom sells them. Shooters Connection might also have the Choate racks. I have four for the 4 round holders and five or six of the six round holders. I use the fours whenever I can as I can grab four at a time no problem.

SpookyPistolero
April 10, 2005, 02:21 PM
Is there a way to understand if it is better for me to use a strong or weak hand to load with? I had sort of assumed weak hand until someone brought up that strong was an option.

I have emailed 3gungear.com to see what they say about AK mags working with their pouches. We shall see...

Zak Smith
April 10, 2005, 03:14 PM
There is no concensus on whether weak or strong hand is faster. Top shooters are split.

IMO, there is less gun movement required for a weak handed reload. On the Benelli, I am less likely to get "Benelli Thumb" doing it weak handed, since I keep that thumb straighter.

Just try both and see what you can come up with. There are several threads about it over on BrianEnos.com forums.

SpookyPistolero
April 10, 2005, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to play with all of these ideas next weekend. I'm kind of excited to get to do so actually.

I really need to go and watch a match just to get a better feel for what things are like.

If you enjoyed reading about "3-gun gear questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!