Rifles in the Last Samurai

PDA

mixtli
April 12, 2005, 09:45 PM
The rifles in the Last Samurai are driving me crazy. The first time around, I'm pretty sure the conscripts are using old .577 caliber Springfields left over from the Civil War. But after Algren gets back from the village, they have different rifles. What kind are they, they look bolt-action, but I thought there weren't any in 1878. But then again, what I don't know about late 19th century firearms could fill a warehouse. The last of the black powder guns are a new interest to me, does anyone know of any good websites? All I can find out about are the Martini-Henry's. Thanks for answering my dumb question

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifles in the Last Samurai" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
confed sailor
April 12, 2005, 09:53 PM
for correctness they should be murata's, either model 13 or 18. if they couldnt find enough muratas then they probably got some 1871 mausers, as the murata was a clone of P.P. Mauser's weapon.

4v50 Gary
April 16, 2005, 12:55 AM
The Greene bolt action rifle was produced in limited #s during the late great unpleasantry between states (or the Mother of American Family Feuds). I'm also thinking the Chassepot and Prussian Needle Gun could have been out by then - but I haven't checked any book on that one.

confed sailor
April 19, 2005, 10:28 PM
the dreyuse came out in prussia in the 1850's, the chassepot was a tubular magazine copy of the dreyuse, with one exception, it had a rubber o-ring gas seal around the bolt, lessening the blowback that the dreyuse was noted for.

however,during the period that the movie is set in, it would be plausible for the murata 13 to be in service. and unlike the dreyuse, and earlier models of the chassepot, they used 13mm brass cased ammunition.

heres a useful link: http://www.militaryrifles.com/Japan/Murata13.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifles in the Last Samurai" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!