Take a gun to school or go on the unemployment line

PDA

Alan Fud
March 14, 2003, 12:25 AM
You recently started a new job and after a short time there, it becomes obvious that the boss is anti-gun. Given the fact that nothing was said about no weapons / guns and nothing is mentioned in the company policies about it, you continue to carry your licensed CCW especially since the office is not exactly in a good section of town and people tend to just walk in looking for trouble.

One day, your boss asks you to drive to meet with a new client as his car is in the shop. Once in the car, you inquire exactly where you are going and he tells you "the local college". http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/vb/images/smilies/omg.gif

What do you do about your CCW? Do you remove it in front of your boss and risk getting fired? Do you do into the college with it and risk getting arrested? Do you try to sneak it off of you without your boss seeing it (if so, how would you attempt to do this)?

What would you do?

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/port2-jj.jpg (http://www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com/) » www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com (http://www.FamilyFriendsFirearms.com) «
Alligator Al: Share What You Know & Learn What You Don't.

If you enjoyed reading about "Take a gun to school or go on the unemployment line" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
synoptic
March 14, 2003, 12:36 AM
Can the gun be locked in your car while on campus? Maybe there is a way to slip it in your trunk...

Now, for what I would do...
I'd remove my firearm and put it in whatever state (unloaded, etc..)/location it needed to be in order to be legal. Your boss CAN'T fire you for legally carrying a weapon. He can tell you not to bring it back to the office or carry it while working, in which case you make the decision to quit or not carry your gun to work any longer. Depending on your state, he may not even be able to verbally tell you not to carry it, but in Texas he can. Don't carry on campus. The risk of getting caught and majorly busted is too great.

Yohan
March 14, 2003, 12:50 AM
Spill hot coffee on their lap and while pretending to get some napkins, get rid of your weapon and put it under your seat- I guess you could have like a giant magnet set up under your seat. Or I guess you could mace his face and while he's screaming in pain, you could ditch your gun. Has this happened to anyone before? I would LOVE to know.

Kaylee
March 14, 2003, 12:50 AM
your weapon is concealed, right?

you're not going into any area with metal detectors, right?

you're not going to make enough of a fuss to give a cop a reason to search you, right?

Seems to me a person in that situation would make more trouble for everybody by trying to obey the law than by discretely breaking it. Do "the right thing" and you're gonna get nailed it looks like. Play "criminal" for an hour, and no one will likely know or care.

I ain't suggesting a course of action, that's between you, your conscience, and your own assement of how much you got to lose if busted. That said... nothing breeds disrespect for the law like dumb, unenforcable laws.

-K

Alan Fud
March 14, 2003, 01:16 AM
"... Has this happened to anyone before ..."

Yes, over here. This afternoon.

pax
March 14, 2003, 01:31 AM
As a friend of mine once said ... "What, are you planning on getting frisked?"

But that's easy for me to say: in WA, colleges are not defined as "schools" in the statutes. They are a grey area, with a comfortable bit of wiggle room for a good lawyer to utilize.

pax

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. -- Robert A. Heinlein

voilsb
March 14, 2003, 02:05 AM
in oregon, the only place you cannot legally carry with a CCW is where federally prohibited. colleges are fine, here.

heck, I'm sitting in a university computer lab right now with a 15+1 beretta 92 IWB

sm
March 14, 2003, 02:27 AM
BTDT
Concealed means concealed.
Not one condoning going against CCW.
Situation dictated otherwise.

Pendragon
March 14, 2003, 04:18 AM
Uhm, as someone who, uhm, has a close personal friend who practiced "The 2ndA is my permit" style carry for over 2 years:

If...my friend...:rolleyes: can do it for 2 years and not get caught, you shoudl be able to pull off an hour. :evil:

:neener:

Kahr carrier
March 14, 2003, 05:35 AM
If its well concealed no one will be the wiser.:)

Jim March
March 14, 2003, 05:59 AM
There's no FED ban on school carry - the Fed rules are K-12 only.

College/university rules vary by state. Interestingly, the "may issue" states like California often do NOT ban college carry, because the permits aren't going to the "unwashed masses" by and large. When states convert to shall-issue, they often have to include school carry rules in order to get it passed :rolleyes:.

Given that it's often a "gray area" and there's no Fed laws in play, in THAT circumstance I'd risk it.

samualt
March 14, 2003, 06:27 AM
I would put it in the trunk or take it back to my desk. You could tell the boss you had a slight gastrointestinal emergency, LOL, or you want to check the trunk for something, possibly a spare. No biggie.

I wouldn't do anything to lose my CCW license.

Country Boy
March 14, 2003, 11:42 AM
Put little value on the trivial.

Baba Louie
March 14, 2003, 12:07 PM
Fud,

Questions I ask myself daily:

Am I any less safe while (on a campus) armed discreetly or unarmed?

If something bad happened to me while there, would I want to be able to protect my life and maybe others, hopefully still being able to deal with the aftermath or having my spousal unit/significant other dealing with the aftermath cause I no longer can?

Discretion IS the better part of valor, in many ways.

No one need know, unless a metal detector is in your immediate future/path.

Then a decision must be made.

Adios

AK103K
March 14, 2003, 02:29 PM
As was mentioned, I wouldnt skip a beat and go on about you business. I believe that the school laws have an out, same as the post office. If you read their rules, there is usually the disclaimer to the effect "or any other "lawful" purpose". To me that means if I'm not breaking the law, then it must be a lawful purpose. I carry where ever I go, and if they say I cant then they have to provide a lock box for places like the court house, etc.

Here's an example from our state law(only one I could find in a hurry) on weapons on school property:

§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property.
(a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

Standing Wolf
March 14, 2003, 08:56 PM
I'd just keep on carrying—and think mighty seriously about finding another job, too. I don't care to be around anti-Second Amendment bigots.

Double Maduro
March 15, 2003, 02:59 PM
voilsb,

Actually there are several places here in Oregon you are not allowed to carry.

These include, but are not limited to, court rooms where the judge has posted a warning. Businesses that are posted. Airports. And Private schools that are posted. Plus all of the usual places like the Post Office, etc..

It is possible to be legal, carrying at work, and still be fired for carrying if it is against company policy.

AK103K
March 15, 2003, 03:15 PM
Plus all of the usual places like the Post Office, etc..

Heres a link for the post office (and federal bldg's):

http://webferret.search.com/click?wf,firearm+post+office,,communities.prodigy.net%2Fsportsrec%2Fgz-rtc-usps.html,,aol

Goet
March 15, 2003, 04:47 PM
In Utah you can carry on ANY public school campus, from elementary to universities.

Admiral Thrawn
March 16, 2003, 05:05 AM
"your weapon is concealed, right?

you're not going into any area with metal detectors, right?

you're not going to make enough of a fuss to give a cop a reason to search you, right?

Seems to me a person in that situation would make more trouble for everybody by trying to obey the law than by discretely breaking it. Do "the right thing" and you're gonna get nailed it looks like. Play "criminal" for an hour, and no one will likely know or care.

I ain't suggesting a course of action, that's between you, your conscience, and your own assement of how much you got to lose if busted. That said... nothing breeds disrespect for the law like dumb, unenforcable laws. "

Exactly, I agree entirely. :)

chaim
March 16, 2003, 10:23 AM
Not fair, with the name of this thread you had my hopes up. Hopefully, after graduate school I'll be working as a school psychologist in the school systems and I saw the name of your thread and my first thought was "cool, there is a school or school system that is requiring its employees to carry". Hey, with it being known that the terrorists want to target our kids in school it could be possible. So thanks for getting my hopes up.:neener:

veloce851
March 16, 2003, 09:42 PM
Interesting question.... since I carry full time in a state that has yet to adopt a CCW law (oddly enough open carry is legal if you have the time to research the counties and city statutes that counter the state law, and avoid them)
AND the company I work for has a written company policy stating firearms are not to be on the property even in your car :rolleyes:

Inspite of all this stacked against me. I still believe the adage
better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Fortunately I really don't have to worry about the opinions of my superiors. Because I am in a bottom of the barrel job making $9/hour I can find a job that pays that much anyday. Even in this crappy Clinton economy.

All in all.... if I knew first hand there weren't any metal detectors.. I'd carry for the short period of time.

blades67
March 16, 2003, 10:01 PM
You could drive your boss to the campus, drop him off, find out when he'll be done and then return to pick him up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Take a gun to school or go on the unemployment line" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!