My first political "photoshop"...comments?

PDA

Jim March
March 14, 2003, 06:52 AM
Hi all...I'm working on a document on the California CCW system, needed a graphic and rolled this:

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/scalesfinalsmall.jpg

Tools: Irfanview, Win98 Paint :).

If you enjoyed reading about "My first political "photoshop"...comments?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
March 14, 2003, 09:10 AM
Pretty good, Mr. March...

And I like the Vaquero in the scale pan.

Tamara
March 14, 2003, 10:06 AM
It's a little hard to make out what's on the other side of the scale. The whole thing's a little too "washed-out", I think.

Viking6
March 14, 2003, 10:09 AM
Are those rolls of money? What is the significance?

Jim March
March 14, 2003, 10:16 AM
Ya, cash. That's what it takes to score the permit :).

Maybe I got too "artsy" though. Found the Irfanview "filters" and went "oooh, neat!". All three elements started out as photos :)..

It's clearer in the print version (intended use) or on a larger scale.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/scalesfinal.jpg

Quantrill
March 14, 2003, 10:27 AM
OK, I get the point. But I don't think the average sheeple would. Quantrill

Tamara
March 14, 2003, 10:29 AM
It takes that much money to buy a Vaquero?

45R
March 14, 2003, 11:26 AM
Too much money not enough gun?

Steve Smith
March 14, 2003, 11:52 AM
No offense, Jim, but it looks like a drawing, not a photo. I don't like it.

Jim March
March 14, 2003, 11:57 AM
Yea. Too "artsy".

Oh well.

Steve Smith
March 14, 2003, 12:02 PM
Well, I haven't used Photoshop, but I have used other photo manipulation packages, and Iv'e found you can goof with an image to the point it really looks like crap. Most times less is more.

Quartus
March 14, 2003, 12:08 PM
Very hard to make out the money as money. Even if you used a very big, clear dollar sign, I don't think the point is clear.

Sorry, buddy! :(

45R
March 14, 2003, 12:20 PM
Keep trying Jim...sooner or later the point will come across.

Mauserlady
March 14, 2003, 12:26 PM
Just my little ole http://www.coneville.com/mauserlady/graphics/twocents.gif here...

We know it takes big bucks to score a CCW here in Cali... Why not put an image of one behind the gun and make the scales be even.

To me that would represent what I know you're trying to get across... "You too can have a CCW if you have this much money"

gun-fucious
March 14, 2003, 12:50 PM
Stop!
Place your hands on the top of your head and
Step away from the filter/stylize/find edges menu!

Jim March
March 14, 2003, 12:54 PM
:D

"Put DOWN the filter tool and come out with your HANDS UP!"

:p

Oh well.

Phil Ca
March 14, 2003, 01:13 PM
Jim, I have had a CCW permit for over 20 some odd years and never donated to any campaign for the local sheriff either. In fact when I got the permit the first time the then undersheriff spent a good 20 to 30 minutes re-reviewing my application, going down the hall to confer with someone else and finally issuing the permit.

At the time I had to submit two letters from people that knew me and would vouch for me. I also had to give copies of my DD214s and show a letter on a office letter head. At that time I was a federal officer and a police reserve officer but that did not guarantee me a CCW. I also had a police firearms instructor license and had to provide that as well. I have been retired from the federal job for about 6 years and from the reserve job a couple of months.

Now after 25 years at that location I have moved. I am in another place and in a town not the county. When I talked to the sargeant at the local PD he said that the chiefs of the twn I live in and the neighboring one were not issuing permits but allowing the sheriff of the county to do that. He said I should have no problem getting a renewel and if I had a problem to come back and see him.

I went to see the person at the county and he gave me a 18 or 20 page application with all sorts of rules and laws to read as well. The permit here will cost 103 dollars as opposed to 50 for two years at the other county.

If it is denied there is always the original permit given to us all of us some years ago.

:cool:

OF
March 14, 2003, 01:36 PM
Don't quit your day job, Jim. ;)

Get Oleg to make some stuff for you. Your sketch would make a fine concept piece for him to work from.

- Gabe

Mute
March 14, 2003, 03:03 PM
Not bad. How's about a coupla suggestions:

1. Replace Vaquero with a human figure holding a gun and the words CCW permit on that person.

2. Have a person holding the scales and put a label on that person: Label should read politician or Sherrif/Chief of Police. Make sure to put an evil/greedy smile on said scale-holding scumbag.

BigG
March 14, 2003, 04:27 PM
How bout dead bodies rather than a gun in the pan being outweighed by money? You can use words to describe the gun not available might have saved these folks but they didn't have the money to comply with the regs.

Don Gwinn
March 14, 2003, 06:13 PM
Why not photoshop the sherriff on a street corner doing the standard "Super-Suave Secret Handpass" standard drug dealing maneuver, palming a wad of bills while passing a CCW to a guy in a suit? If they both look nervous enough, it could work.

That one gives the impression that the money is the price of the pistol, as Tamara has pointed out already.

schmo
March 14, 2003, 06:27 PM
To be honest, this graphic doesn't make it and no amount of discussion here will save it.

But if you really want to work on an effective graphic... email me.

Sven
March 14, 2003, 06:30 PM
VERY few people know what "CCW" means... especially the people you may be trying to convince. Make sure you don't alienate yourself by using 'insider' lingo.

I agree that a photo would look better.

Standing Wolf
March 14, 2003, 09:26 PM
You have a good concept, but the illustration needs to be instantly understandable and instantly convincing.

The Mayor
March 14, 2003, 11:13 PM
Is it too late to revert to the original photo? If you can post the original and let fellow members have a shot at manipulating the photo. I just started fooling arouind with photo-shop and can spend hours acomplising nothing.

Jim March
March 15, 2003, 01:16 AM
Well lemme give some background on what this was for.

We have a California pro-gun bill in play to ensure that victims of domestic violence and/or hate crimes get "automatic good cause". It's sponsored by a really good Republican Assemblyman name of Ray Haynes and the first big hearing will be in the Assembly Safety Committee.

I've been asked to provide part of the arguments, but NOT to such a degree that I distract from the core "pro-self-defense-for-battered-women" argument, and without pissing off the two Republican committee members who used to be deputies :).

So I took a relatively "mild" tack, and crafted it in immitation of your typical fairly highbrow "report" of some sort. Which often feature a fairly "artsy" or semi-abstract cover.

That also means that the graphic's meaning can be allowed to "trickle in" as they actually read the thing :).

So just maybe in this context it works. Preliminary version is at:

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/AB462.PDF

Crimper-D
March 15, 2003, 02:12 AM
First tiime, I thought the $ rolls were speedloaders and I was trying to figure how they related to the SA Vaquero:confused:
THEN I got it! Duh!:rolleyes:
I Got A Cali. CCW - it didn't take any campaign contributions, just a pro gun Sheriff. The 'fees' were higher than I liked, but I'm on my second renewal and just changed the guns listed on my permit (3 is the Max) - the change cost me $11.25 at the Sherif's Clerk's office about 5 minutes of my time.
Not Every member of the state legislature is an anti, My rep's name is Cogdill, and he's definately pro - shoots at our club when he's in our area - uses a 1911-a:D
The Graphic needs work, and from personal experience, I do not agree with the message. Keep it up:)

If you enjoyed reading about "My first political "photoshop"...comments?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!