Looked at a S&W 60 357

PDA

Jimbo1
April 14, 2005, 10:53 PM
My wife and I spent most of the afternoon at the range/store looking for a pistol for her that will double as a sometimes carry gun for me. Everything I have is auto, but she just didn't like the feel of any of the smaller auto's. Her feeling comfortable and able to operate the weapon is the biggest part of this purchase.
Anyway, the owner brought out a S&W model 60 sainless with 3 inch barrel. She loaded it with confidence and knocked the middle of the target out with first few rounds and stayed on target with the other 40(when firing SA), went wild with DA. She will just need to do some practice with DA and should get better. I am thinking this will be what I buy, and I can get it new for $375.
I don't know what "frame" it is, just that it is a model 60.

What has been your experience with these weapons, and possibly a way of lightening DA while maintaining safe CCW. And anything I can show her to help her master DA firing. BTW, she has MS, so it has become increasingly difficult for her to remember how to operate things, so this seems like a great choice in weapon.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looked at a S&W 60 357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GaryP
April 14, 2005, 11:57 PM
The Smith Model 60's in .357Mag are nice but I find the Ruger SP101's in .357Mag easier to control and more comfortable to shoot! My S&W Model 60-4 (.38Spl) is not as comfortable to shoot with .38Spl+P as my Ruger SP101 .357Mag with full house .357Mag (1475 FPS) loads. The S&W Model 60's are J frames.
I replaced the Ruger's factory 14# Hammer Spring with a Wolff 11# spring and the factory 10# Trigger Return Spring with a Wolff 8# spring. This change improved the Ruger's DA trigger pull significantly without sacrificing reliability. With the spring changes the Ruger's DA trigger is almost equal to the model 60's.

If you decide on the S&W Model 60 you can go with an 8# Hammer Spring for a tad lighter DA pull. The OEM is 8.5#, but anything lighter than 8# is not recommended for a Model 60.

:evil:

MikeIsaj
April 14, 2005, 11:58 PM
IMHO you can't go wrong with a S&W revolver. I'd prefer a 4" barrel but, what's important is what she is comfortable with. With the MS as a concern I'd definately stay with a revolver and consider speedloaders. Just speculating that they may be easier for her load with.

Good luck to you both.

Semper Fi!

PowderBurn
April 15, 2005, 12:47 AM
I've got a 60-4 with a 2-1/8" barrel and it's among my favorites. I'm more into autos, so I typically don't shoot revolvers DA very well. This little J is an exception. I typically shoot .38 +P or mild .357's. Full-house .357 is not a joy. 5 of them, reload, 5 more, and your hand is buzzing for a few minutes.

GaryP
April 15, 2005, 01:33 AM
PowderBurn,

I am thinking Your "J" is a Model 60-9 as me thinks all Model 60-4's are 3" Target Models chambered in .38Spl. :confused:

:evil:

Jimbo1
April 15, 2005, 09:51 AM
I was just happy that with a quick rundown on how to load, unload, and fire, she did everything alone for the last 40 rounds of the box. With all other weapons (all auto's), it would take 3 boxes to just get her to understand and operate the safty, mag release, and slide release.

Once she learned how to operate my buckmark, thats all she wanted to fire. And I feel like I have been beating my head against a wall to get her into a self defense weapon that can protect her. I just feel it is more likely that she would be a potential victim than I am, and better to prepare and practice and not need it, than to become a victim and wish you could protect yourself.

BluesBear
April 16, 2005, 08:43 AM
And I feel like I have been beating my head against a wall to get her into a self defense weapon that can protect her. Ever hear the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"?

Well I learned a long time ago that when you're teaching a woman how to shoot you have to do it on HER terms. Period. NOTHING else will work.

Just give her some time. EVERY woman that I have ever coached (I guess it's somewhere around 50) had a gun that piqued her interest more than any other. But sooner or later, and even later didn't take too long, they expanded their horizon.

Just because all she wants to shoot right now is your Buckmark, doesn't mean she won't change her mind. She will. Several times.

When Lady45 started shooting all she would shoot was my 6" Model 28 with light load .38 special ammo. Then one day while I was shooting it she decided to try my 6" 629 with .44 Special ammo. Well the third speedloader she picked up was .44 MAGNUM ammo!

As Emril would say... BANG! That's all it took.
When she heard that boom and that 20oz soda bottle full of water EXPLODED that's all she wanted to shoot. She then progressed to the 6" .41 magnum that Nightcrawler had forced me to purchase. ;)

Somewhere along the line my 20 gauge coach gun became HER 20 gauge coach gun.

Then it was on to my Colt Government, which becale her favorite.
Then the 2" Taurus .44 Special.

By that time she had gotten her CPL.

She went out and bought herself a Colt Double Eagle Officers ACP.
And then a 2" Taurus .357.

Now she's gotten into shooting .22 rimfire rifles.

Now when we're at the range she'll shoot ANY handgun someone will hand her.
And quite often she will outshoot him with his own gun.

A guy handed her his Springfield XD40 last week and she proceeded to shoot five rounds into three inches at 25 feet. :what:
(She's got that target hanging on her bedroom wall.)

My point is that she'd never even seen an XD before.

In a gunshop she'll take longer and drool over more guns that I do.
She looks through all of the gun mags and catalogues that come in the mail before I even know they're here.
She often discusses SD senarios when we're out in public.
SHE is the one that convinced my doctor to declare one day every week at the range as one of my required physical therapy sessions. This way SHE get's to go along.

I have created a monster. But she's a monster than can more than adaquately cover my six!

Jimbo, be glad your wife like your .22. Ammo will only become more expensive as she progresses.
And of course just be thankful that she enjoys shooting. Sadly, so many women don't

You see women are the more passionate gender.
When a woman finds something that interests her she will devote herself to it.
Once a woman actually gets INTO shooting there's almost no stopping her.

Which is as it should be. ;)

Practice Safe.
Practice Hard.
Practice Often!

onecruiser
April 16, 2005, 08:48 AM
I practice with either a Ruger GP100 or a Smith Mod 66, but on the rare occassion that I carry it is a Mod 60 in .38 with a 3 inch barrel. They are easy to handle, accurate, and light. Go for it.

Jimbo1
April 16, 2005, 04:57 PM
Well we went up there today and got the 60. She is having a ball with it, and is just as accurate with it as the buckmark. This is most important to her, if she can't knock the middle out she doesn't want to shoot.

Now if I can just teach her to CLEAN one, I'll be happy.

Standing Wolf
April 16, 2005, 10:44 PM
I just feel it is more likely that she would be a potential victim than I am, and better to prepare and practice and not need it, than to become a victim and wish you could protect yourself.

Criminals usually choose the easiest-looking targets. The law-abiding often go for challenges.

She is having a ball with it, and is just as accurate with it as the buckmark. This is most important to her, if she can't knock the middle out she doesn't want to shoot.

Good for her! Switching calibers typically takes awhile, especially when there's more recoil involved. From the sound of things, she's coming right along. More power to both of you!

BluesBear
April 17, 2005, 10:32 AM
Now if I can just teach her to CLEAN one, I'll be happy. If you succeed in that endeavor please let me know your secret.

braindoc
April 17, 2005, 05:08 PM
I currently clean my revolvers with generic "pledge" wax spray ($1 a can). It really gets rid of the carbon residue on the gun surface, inside the barrel and the cylinder holes. A quick spray and bronze brushing of the cylinder front gets rid of the black carbon rings. So far I have been using this technique for my "play" guns" and have not encountered any wax build up. Works very well on stainless and the blued guns come out shiny also. The great thing is less mess, stink and time.

braindoc

Mastrogiacomo
April 17, 2005, 07:45 PM
The 60 is an excellent choice and I just got one myself two weeks ago. It's a good solid, simple gun to learn and operate. I'm sure it'll become her favorite gun too.

Laura

Jimbo1
April 18, 2005, 09:48 AM
The S&W rep will be in town this comming Sat. We are going down and see if we can get the DA lightened a little for her. She is carrying her targets around now, minus the orange middle. She is having a ball and now it is her idea to go to look at other guns. Good to spend time with the wife again at a hobby we can both do.

Jimbo1
April 19, 2005, 10:19 PM
She got to bring it home today. Has read the entire book that came with it and all the other stuff that was in the box.

Thought she was going to sneak off the range this morning without me, so I had to take a couple hours off. Can't have her leaving me at work while she goes to play.

Marshall
April 20, 2005, 06:26 PM
I have a Model 60 .357, it goes with me everywhere I go. One of my very favorite guns. I conceals nicely, has a good trigger and is very accurate for a 2 1/8" bbl. The double action will get better with more firing, you can always change springs in it and lighten it up a tad.

PowderBurn
April 29, 2005, 12:47 AM
PowderBurn,

I am thinking Your "J" is a Model 60-9 as me thinks all Model 60-4's are 3" Target Models chambered in .38Spl.

Actually, it's a 60-14; musta limp-wristed the "1" on my keyboard.

Coltdriver
April 29, 2005, 11:27 AM
The trick to accurately shooting a da revolver is in squeezing the grip a littlle harder.

There is a natural tendancy for the grip fingers to apply about the same grip strength as the finger that is pulling the trigger. It won't be enought to steady the pistol against the da pull.

So with a little practice you can learn to squeeze the grip harder and let your trigger finger work independantly of your other fingers.

The other prior advice of reducing the trigger return spring strength is good. You can usually get a pack of return springs for a few dollars and you can experiment with what works for you. Just don't go down so far that it affects reliable rebound of the trigger.

williamcrane
April 29, 2005, 12:01 PM
Great gun. Used to carry it all the time; but now I carry a 642 Airweight in .38pl +p (internal hammer, so DAO). I like the option with the Model 60 of single action.

The advice that S&W gave me was shoot .357's occasionally, but for most practice use .38 sp or .38 +p. Easier on the gun. Do this and it should last several lifetimes.

cortez kid
April 29, 2005, 02:38 PM
I resently aquired a few mod 64's 4" .38spl. Started with one until my wife shot it. picked up the next one for her. Had it bead blasted, new houges and a smitty bag. She thought it was new! she loves it. Enough to let me get 2 more. At $150 a pop, really can't go wrong. Found a mod 66-3 357 at Gander Mtn. $351 otd with aftermarket grips, box paperwork and original grips, with a box of ammo. I feel lucky. A little to much for Her right now. I feel luckier, he he. I'm sure she'll work up to it. She likes shooting my 4" 500 and my Marlin 45-70. Going to Harrisburg Pa for the gun show this weekend! She's bringing her money. Oh Yeah!
good shootin
kid

If you enjoyed reading about "Looked at a S&W 60 357" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!