NRA Houston Convention

PDA

PWK
April 16, 2005, 12:16 AM
Going to the gun show tomorrow since I get in free as a member and it may be a long time before it's back in Houston, though parking can be a bit of a hassle downtown . 5 acres of guns and stuff, being billed as the NRA's largest gun show ever. Expecting up to 60000 people to attend.
Anybody want a report just let me know what you want checked out.
Also coughed up the $75 each for wife and I to go to the members banquet.
Really looking forward to hearing Delay speak especially since he is my representative.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Houston Convention" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MudPuppy
April 16, 2005, 08:47 PM
I'd love to hear what Delay and any other politician had to say. I'm pro-gun and I vote. I'm also fond of the 1st, but that's at the pleasure of those in charge without the 2nd. :)

DWS1117
April 16, 2005, 09:54 PM
Just got home from the convention. Man, what a grand time. Drool city! Of course the DSA models (not the guns) didn't hurt either.

Tons of nice new guns. Liked the new Springfield Defender and new Glock models. Way too much to type out.

It was a lot of fun!

PWK
April 18, 2005, 12:00 AM
You can read the local paper's coverage here:
www.chron.com
Nugent's comments were really definate, strong and to the point.
Banquet was real nice. Sat with some folks from Georgia and Kentucky.
Had a great time talking with them. NRA folks is good people. My wife thoroughly enjoined the banquet. Awesome 10oz sirloin steak along with the rest of the main course. Dessert only bad thing, tasted like I dunno, week old waffles. Only took on bite of it.
O'Neal the guy who headed up the swift boat vets was there.
Senator Kay Bailey Hutchenson (R-TX) gave a short welcome to TX speach.
T. Bubba Bechtel did a little stand up comedy, pretty funny guy.
Never cared much for Hank Jr and still don't.
Delay's speach saturday night was short, which is good, to the point and quite pro-2ndA but a bit poor in the delivery. Of course he said all the right things.
The number of Delay protesters is estimated as 200 in the Chronicle but I doubt it was even 100.
Only a couple of women outside on Saturday around noon carrying a sign which said "over 2000 children are killed each year by guns" Pretty amazing thing those guns just up and shoot people all by themselves.
Woah!!! Were there guns there. One of the Ruger people working their booth told me they had never seen an NRA convention with so many people, he said it was like fireants. I think I'm gonna hafta buy either a redhawk or black hawk in 44 mag. Everybody who saw the Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull and 480 Ruger agreed that you'd have to be crazy or about to be gobbled up by a bear before you pulled the trigger on that 2 inch cannon.
The springfield booth was awesome. got to handle an M1A1, beautiful weapon.
Browning booth was neat. don't care for the look of the new cynergy shotgun.
Mossberg has a line of 12ga autoloaders again and an import O/U made in Turkey.
Talked with the folks from the NRA Whittington center. sounds great you can shoot all day for 15 bucks plus skeet rounds are only 3 bucks each, that's cheaper than what I pay at the club I belong to here. Have a summer youth program that I may send my son to if it doesn't bankrupt to do so.
Hornady was handing out sample bullets I picked up a 416 and 450, man are those things huge.

Golden Saber
April 18, 2005, 08:24 AM
This was my first NRA Convention, and it was awesome. From Friday morning at 9 starting with the Grassroots Workshop, to the Sat. night banquet, to even the ride to the Houston airport, I've never been in surroundings where so many people were in a place for one reason and sharing their thoughts about it.

Like my buddy said, the Saturday night banquet was the best $75 he ever spent.

PWK
April 19, 2005, 08:43 AM
Another article from the Houston Chronicle. Actually, they have been giving fairly thorough coverage of the event.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3141151
"The NRA board voted unanimously Monday to elect Froman president, replacing Kayne Robinson, and re-elect LaPierre as executive vice president."
I wonder if there is any discussion before these votes or does the board just rubber stamp whatever LaPierre wants. I guess I just like to see a little new blood now and again.

MaterDei
April 19, 2005, 09:06 AM
I went Friday with an old Army buddy. I was so impressed that I felt obliged to bring some of my kids on Sunday. They enjoyed it too.

All the manufacturers were there. All their guns were there and not a single one of them was for sale so there was no pressure to buy.

I caught Rob Leatham's demonstration. That was impressive.

Kahr's new .45 was there, too. I liked it and the rep said that a steel framed version was very likely if enough people wanted one. We'll see.

Wild West Guns was there but I didn't see WA so I moved along.

It was great.

Havegunjoe
April 19, 2005, 04:02 PM
I had heard sometime ago that they didn't allow it, but then heard that wasn't true. Were you attendees able to carry. Was it a problem or a hassel?

45crittergitter
April 19, 2005, 11:03 PM
Ultimately, the signs came down before the convention.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=127325

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA Houston Convention" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!