US Revolver CO .32

PDA

Bear Gulch
April 16, 2005, 05:48 PM
I got this thing off of gun broker. It is a 5 shot top break. It is TINY!

I can that in the old days folks would easily be able to hide a pistol in a vest or coat pocket. Sure .32 short isnt very powerful,but if you were between a rock and a hard place it would suffice!

Has anyone shot one of these?

If you enjoyed reading about "US Revolver CO .32" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hammerdown
April 16, 2005, 06:43 PM
Hello:
I think I have seen one like it. I believe the one I saw was made In Nashville, Tennessee.. I would not use one on a daily basis but in a pinch if it goes "BANG" fire it.. Hammerdown.

Bear Gulch
April 16, 2005, 06:59 PM
These were made by Iver Johnson in Fitchburg,MA. A cheap little thing but easily the smallest gun that I have ever owned.

RyanM
April 16, 2005, 07:13 PM
I think I saw a similar one, made by Iver Johnsnon, awhile ago. Those old top-break revolvers are pretty funky looking, if you ask me.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/handgundetail.aspx?symbol=X32SCP&cart=MzIgU2hvcnQgQ29sdA==

80 grains at 750 fps could get the job done. Not as much margin of error as a .45 or something, but certainly lethal if it hits the right spot. Not too much different from a .32 ACP pocket pistol.

Bear Gulch
April 16, 2005, 08:37 PM
I am sure these were meant for card table ranges.

Old Fuff
April 16, 2005, 09:22 PM
"U.S. Revolver Company was one of several brand names Iver Johnson used to sell a second (less expensive) line of revolvers that lacked all of the features found in they're regular one. One of the "lost features" was the famous hammer-the hammer transfer bar safety, so don't rest the hammer on a loaded chamber if you carry the piece.

Smith & Wesson had a much higher quality line of similar revolvers, with barrels running out to 6 inches, and even longer on special order. While these were no powerhouse, they were surprisingly accurate.

These 19th century top-break pocket revolvers make an interesting collector’s field and the revolvers themselves (including the Smith & Wesson’s) are not particularly expensive.

For more information and window shopping go to: www.armchairgunshow.com

Bear Gulch
April 17, 2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks Fuff. FOr some reason I was expecting something bigger. This thing with a 3 inch barrel is maybe 6 inches long. I won't be carring it, btw, I just got it for novelty value.

Old Fuff
April 17, 2005, 10:53 AM
Iver Johnson/US Revolver Co. made two frame sizes. The smaller one, which you have, could be purchased in .32 S&W (short) or .22 R.F. The larger frame was available in .38 S&W, and .32 S&W Long as well as .22 R.F. The .22’s remained popular and in production until the 1980’s.

The design originated with Smith & Wesson, and they made the best of the kind. Others jumped on the bandwagon after S&W’s patents expired, and gave top-break revolvers a reputation of being cheap junk – something that wasn’t always deserved.

During the latter 19th and early 20th centuries many gentleman (and some ladies) carried pocket revolvers for personal protection, but they wanted something that wouldn’t be inconvenient, and these filled the bill. Unlike hand ejector (swing-out-cylinder) revolvers these were completely ambidextrous and ejected (not just extracted) the fired cases. The barrels could be shortened to as little as 1 ¼ inches without affecting the extraction/ejection feature. Judging from ammunition sales – (the guns themselves haven’t been made since the end of World War Two, but the OSS purchased a quantity of .32’s from Iver Johnson during the war) - a lot of them are still being used/carried today. At least one manufacturer has (is?) considering making a similar revolver chambered in .32 ACP.

Incidentally, a S&W with a 3-inch barrel will interlock shots into one ragged hole at 25 feet – not exactly card table distance.

MICHAEL T
April 18, 2005, 02:40 PM
80 grains at 750 fps could get the job done. Not as much margin of error as a .45 or something, but certainly lethal if it hits the right spot. Not too much different from a .32 ACP pocket pistol.

I bet a Kel tec 32 or a Seecamp isn't really doing a whole lot better and look at how many prople carry them for SD.
People have been defending themselfs with small pistols for a100+ years They must work most of the time because people keep buying them and carring them. No matter how many yell only 9mm,38 spl or larger, the little ones keep right on selling :)

Bear Gulch
April 18, 2005, 03:37 PM
I don't think I'd want one for a primary CCW, but it would sure be easy to hide one.

If you enjoyed reading about "US Revolver CO .32" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!