not shooting targets

PDA

tombo
April 17, 2005, 09:34 PM
Relatively new to competition shooting. The organization I shoot with shoots IPSC style competition. Yesterday I was plugging away at a small steel target weak hand only and plowing up the ground and hitting the wall behind it, even changing magazines so I could continue to bang away at it. Each miss hitting the ground and hitting the wall was +5 sec. I racked up a bunch of penalties plus the time it took for me to shoot the misses. What happens if I tried to hit it a couple of times and stoppped and took a penalty. I would actually have done better score-wise than continuing to shoot. I have left targets before but that was due to running out of ammunition which I think is okay. If I stopped and still had ammunition I would look at myself as a quitter and a non-competitor. Yep I suck and I have the scores to prove it. :) Anyone else given any thought to this situation?

If you enjoyed reading about "not shooting targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
April 18, 2005, 12:34 AM
Since you are shooting "style" you are apparently not governed by real IPSC rules. Ask the organizer what the penalty would be for bypassing the target you can't hit.

faustulus
April 18, 2005, 02:19 AM
Slow down, that steel jumps if you startle it. :)

tombo
April 18, 2005, 07:55 AM
I will ask the organizers next time I shoot about leaving targets. I really didn't start thinking about it until after I left. The scenario was that if you missed the steel targets your rounds would have gone through the walls of the apartment endangering neighbors. That is the reason for the +5 sec. for missed rounds. I think I would have just gotten a +5 seconds for leaving the target. Instead I racked up about 35 seconds + the time it took me to shoot at the target. I considered throwing the pistol at it but probably would have missed even then. :) I am really not sure what they are shooting I know it is not IDPA or IPSC but their own thing that is based loosely on those two programs. Lots of fun though and a great group of people to shoot with. That is what I have to keep in mind and not get bent out of shape on my time or score.

another okie
April 18, 2005, 11:15 PM
Check the rules. In some forms of competition there is a penalty called "failure to engage" which can cost you more than the missed points, so you need to at least fire a couple of quick rounds at the target, and then it's safe to move on.

Then go practice weak hand shooting, which is an important skill. I tend to jerk the trigger more weak hand only, so I aim more up and to the left, which I know is chicken, but works for me.

sturmruger
April 19, 2005, 01:02 PM
I just read Brian Enos's book on practical competition shooting. He says that you should always practice what you don't like. Which for me is weak hand shooting. I now shoot weak handed every time I get out and practice.

Kamicosmos
April 23, 2005, 06:00 PM
I just read Brian Enos's book on practical competition shooting.

Awesome book!

Some of my mantras:

Good practice makes for good competition.
Speed comes with Accuracy.
You can't miss fast enough to win.

If you enjoyed reading about "not shooting targets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!