Browning 6mm handgun

PDA

Northslope Nimrod
April 20, 2005, 01:45 PM
Where can I find pictures of a Browning 6mm handgun. They are an old design...belly gun type. I need a picture of illustrative purposes for others to see. Please post pictures and/or links.

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning 6mm handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tracer
April 20, 2005, 05:19 PM
Marui Pistols
Marui 1:1 Browning HP Competition BB Pistol (BB34)
Black ABS plastic model of the Browning Competition. Spring operated single shot, firing 6mm BB's - 0.12g best (approximately 100 included). Magazine capacity approx.13. Length 230mm, height 142mm Power approx 0.5 joules, estimated range 25 metres.
BB Gun?

Northslope Nimrod
April 20, 2005, 06:03 PM
Nope. Not a BB gun. I held the gun today. It is actually evidence in a crime. Serial # 171981. Made in Belgium. (FN) It is very tiny!

grendelbane
April 20, 2005, 06:38 PM
Could this be a 6.35 mm pistol? That would be the same as the .25.

They are indeed quite tiny.

ACP230
April 20, 2005, 07:35 PM
Google "Browning Baby."
I found a bunch of pics of the .25/6.35 cal Browning by doing that.
There's at least one for sale on GunsAmerica now too.

Northslope Nimrod
April 22, 2005, 04:52 PM
Yep! It is a Baby Browning. Cute little thing! I'd love to have one. Unfortunately, this gun will be destroyed.

Lone Star
April 22, 2005, 06:03 PM
You say it was used in a crime. Was anyone shot with it? What was the result?

Many decry the .25 as an effective firearm, and I'd like to get some data on actual shootings with them.

The gun is a classic, and was widely imported here before GCA '68 was passed, limiting the size of guns that could be imported. As to whether this has affected crime, it's about like the 18th Century English doctor, who was asked whether tea was bad for one's health. He replied that tea drinking was so widespread that anyone could observe for himself the effects.

Copies of this gun have been made in the USA by Bauer and PSP. Those were stainless.

Lone Star

Jim K
April 22, 2005, 06:30 PM
There were two Browning .25 caliber pistols. The first was called the "Vest Pocket Model", and was made from about 1905 to 1949. It was almost identical to the Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket Model. It was, of course, small but was never called the "Baby Browning", at least not by the factory.

Due to agreements between FN and Colt, that pistol was not sold on the North American market until after WWII (after Colt dropped their .25 pistol), and most of those in the country were brought back from Europe or elsewhere by individuals.

The second was made from about 1954 through 1968, but was discontinued after the passage of the U.S. Gun Control Act of 1968. Roughly a half million were made and most of those were sold in the U.S. It is a good little gun, but not as well made as the older model. It was called officially the "Baby Browning".

An easy way to tell the difference is that the old pistol has the safety behind and above the grip, like the Colt; the newer one has the safety ahead of the grip, just back of the trigger.

Jim

Lone Star
April 23, 2005, 12:36 AM
Jim K-

I believe that the older one also has a grip safety, like the equivalent Colt? That wasn't present on the Baby.

Lone Star

BluesBear
April 23, 2005, 08:55 AM
Here's the later smaller Baby Browning along with a .380 and a High Power.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23943

Here's the original belgian Browning which was also made in the United States by Colt as the 1908.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=23942

If you enjoyed reading about "Browning 6mm handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!