irked

PDA

Beav
March 14, 2003, 09:28 PM
Went to Galyans today to pick up a Ruger KMK512.
While I was there I noticed they had a SIG PRO so I asked to handle it. While I was getting a feel for it (observing all the safety rules) I looked to the right of me and noticed that there was a lady a few aisles down, frozen stiff with this idiotic awestruck horrified look on her face. She was clearly watching me. I was a little annoyed and shocked myself but quickly turned away and tried to go about my business but naturally, a few seconds later I had to look to see if she was still staring at me and sure enough she was. Now I was pissed. I felt like going up to her and letting her know how ignorant I though she was and how dare she imply anything...ah but I didn't. I wasn't going to let her ruin such a good day, I then went home and flitzed my Ruger :)

If you enjoyed reading about "irked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quartus
March 14, 2003, 09:37 PM
It must be an awful life they live, those blissninnies.

:(

hd1.
March 14, 2003, 09:40 PM
We can't always know what someone is thinking when they stare.
A while back, I pulled into a gas station to fill up my Harley. I looked over at the next pump, and this older woman was staring at me with a frown on her face. I could just tell she was thinking of something nasty to say to me. She finished pumping gas and when she returned from paying inside, she headed straight towards me. I thought to myself ,'Here goes, she's going to cuss me out or insult me, and what can you do, she's an old woman.' Well when she got to me she says, "My husband and I used to ride. I miss that bike, and I miss that MAN!" I was stunned, I sure wasn't expecting her to say that!
So who knows? Maybe you reminded that lady in Galyan's of somebody?

Beav
March 14, 2003, 10:17 PM
Good point hd1, I was thinking the same thing after I typed the post.

Regardless I still don't think her actions are acceptable. I seriously doubt she would have done so if I didn't have a gun in my hand (irrational). Acceptable, no...understandable , yes.

IMO

J Miller
March 14, 2003, 11:15 PM
Beav,

One thing I do when I find someone staring at me is to say hello. Sometimes it breaks the trance they are in and they usually will turn and leave.
And it has happened in reverse. I have been deep in though and staring off in a direction somebody was in. They made some comment to me or said hello and it jarred me back to reality.
You never really know what people are thinking.

In your case you could have said hi, then asked her which gun matched your outfit the best. :D

Chipperman
March 14, 2003, 11:17 PM
Regardless of her thought process, she was obviously staring for quite a while, which is rude any way you cut it.

Preacherman
March 14, 2003, 11:29 PM
Beav - did you check your fly? :D

HABU
March 14, 2003, 11:33 PM
Perhaps she was trippin' on you 'cuz you are a splitting image of her recently deceased husband.:scrutiny: At any rate, I would rather be stared at by a woman than swept by anyone checking out a gun from the case.

Duke of Lawnchair
March 14, 2003, 11:40 PM
Don't flatter yourself.

She was checking me out! :D

Beav
March 14, 2003, 11:53 PM
Its funny that when I got into firearms I was a little disturbed at how defensive some owners can be. Today I think I understand those people a little more and at the same time realize that I was more like them the whole time.

keyhole
March 15, 2003, 12:01 AM
I used to get a lot of stares when I was a PD officer, and carried a 1911. Scared a lot of folks, 'cause they did not know anything about the gun, and that hammer back frightened them. Once I explained things to them, they were more at ease. I don't get that anymore, with the department issue tactical tupperware.

The Mayor
March 15, 2003, 12:20 AM
My story dosent involve guns but equally evil electric dog collers. While at Lowes picking up a replacement coller, a woman was staring me down from about 30' away until she could take no more and aproched me to tell me how cruel it was to use those things on the dogs. How a collar would not keep the mean dogs out of my yard and doing damage to my cute pets. I just stood ther and listened to her for a few minutes not quick enough for any good repiles, I just stared at her until she left.

If you enjoyed reading about "irked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!