Who stands out - last 50 years?

PDA

P95Carry
April 24, 2005, 12:07 AM
Who are your ''idols'' - or the folks you feel have stood out effectively regarding RKBA matters, for let's say during the last half century. I would also include perhaps class shooters - Jerry Mikulic for example.

In recent times Ron Paul has of course been a great standard bearer. Jeff Cooper has become in some ways a legend. Mass Ayoob may to some be ''up there''. Many potential candidates but - who do you rate as worthy of accolade?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who stands out - last 50 years?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
April 24, 2005, 12:14 AM
Susannah Hupp of Texas.

P95Carry
April 24, 2005, 12:18 AM
SW - enlighten me (history numbskull!) - only example of that name I know goes back to 1870 or thereabouts!

Stevie-Ray
April 24, 2005, 12:28 AM
Charlton Heston and Tom Selleck; the ones who were willing to carry the torch through Hollywood of all places. Certainly at great risk to their careers. Of course there are others, but none that went to the lengths they did.

For shooters, I'd have to go with my semi-local guy, Jerry Barnhart.

mnrivrat
April 24, 2005, 12:34 AM
There are a lot of people that I respect for their commitment to the cause of the peoples rights to keep and bear arms. All those who have made an effort to keep informed, joined the NRA and other groups that work to maintain our rights, have my respect for what they do.

I don't have idols , and I meet all persons eye to eye , not looking up or down upon them. I don't mean to imply that there are not those who have been able to highlight the RTKBA cause. Charlton Heston for example didn't have to spend part of his retirement years being a spokesman for the NRA. He did so, and did it well . I thank him for it.

I also thank all my fellow RTKBA citizens who's names you will never hear on the news, or who's face you won't see on a TV screen. I thank them for keeping the 2nd amendment alive when so many are trying to destroy it.

P95Carry
April 24, 2005, 12:42 AM
I thank them for keeping the 2nd amendment alive when so many are trying to destroy it. Very true mnrivrat - there are (be praised) a great many unsung heros - and I'd like to think that many of us here will have, in some small way, all contributed to the fight.

sm
April 24, 2005, 12:59 AM
It was a sunny October day in central Texas as Al and Ursula Gratia lunched with their daughter, Suzanna, at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen. Suzanna was a practicing doctor of chiropractic, but her life was about to change suddenly and irreversibly.

Without warning, a pickup truck plowed through the restaurant window, and its deranged driver stepped out with a gun and began to methodically execute the defenseless diners. Taking cover behind an overturned table with her parents, Suzanna desperately reached for the handgun in her purse. It wasn't there. She'd left it in her car to comply with state law--a decision that troubles her still.
Insisting he "had to do something," Al Gartia rushed the gunman, but fell with a mortal wound to his chest. As Suzanna scrambled to escape through a broken window, Ursula chose instead to cradle and comfort her wounded husband, which attracted the murderer's attention. Suzanna's mother was also slain in cold blood. Having killed the Gratias and 21 others, the gunman finally turned the gun on himself.
As a survivor of that 1991 massacre, Suzanna has become recognized as one of America's most credible and articulate advocates of the individual right to carry a concealed firearm. Her impassioned testimony for the right of self-defense has thrust her into the national debate, as well as into politics. She is now Texas District 54 State Representative Suzanna Gratia Hupp, a wife and mother of sons ages 2 and 4.

P95Carry
April 24, 2005, 01:06 AM
Steve - my ignorance is all but inexcusable. Thank you so much - I guess even a mere 5 years here ain't enough to have gotten a handle on all the historic info.

Thx again my friend. :)

Old Dog
April 24, 2005, 11:22 AM
- Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) (yes, that's right -- he's a Democrat), my old Congressman. If you're from Michigan, you know.
- Joe Foss
- Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho)
- Ted Nugent
- Of course, Chuck Heston
- Tom Selleck (who can ever forget that ambush by Rosie O'Donnell?)
- Neil Knox
- Rob Leatham
I could come up with more, but I just woke up ...

jobu07
April 24, 2005, 11:26 AM
How about Wayne LaPierre?

cuervo
April 24, 2005, 11:51 AM
Mark Wilson

MLH
April 24, 2005, 12:00 PM
and we haven't seen him around lately! :confused:

AZ Jeff
April 24, 2005, 12:09 PM
Neal Knox

Barbara
April 24, 2005, 12:19 PM
Carol Bambery and Jeff Cooper.

critter
April 24, 2005, 12:58 PM
All good folks who have done a lot. However, I don't think we can leave out our own OLEG! This forum is worth a MINT in letting like-minded folk meet, air their concerns and encourage others to participate in this sport of firearms and participate politically to keep it going.

Thanks Oleg!

mnrivrat
April 24, 2005, 01:18 PM
All good folks who have done a lot. However, I don't think we can leave out our own OLEG! This forum is worth a MINT in letting like-minded folk meet, air their concerns and encourage others to participate in this sport of firearms and participate politically to keep it going.

And the Moderators who give their time to keep this forum alive so that like minded people have a place to chat , and those that arn't like minded have a place to learn.

My hats off !

natedog
April 24, 2005, 01:30 PM
Oleg Volk.

EghtySx
April 24, 2005, 01:43 PM
Ronnie Barrett

Larry Ashcraft
April 24, 2005, 02:08 PM
Ronnie Barrett
You beat me to it.

Chris Rhines
April 24, 2005, 02:10 PM
John Ross.
Claire Wolfe, not just in gun matters, but in freedom matters in general.
Brian Enos.
Matt Burkett.
Steve Anderson.

- Chris

jefnvk
April 24, 2005, 02:29 PM
who can ever forget that ambush by Rosie O'Donnell?

Obviously I can. Details :confused:

Silver Bullet
April 24, 2005, 02:47 PM
Oleg and Rich.

Old Dog
April 24, 2005, 06:33 PM
Obviously I can. Details
Some time back, when Rosie had her own daytime talk show, Selleck was a guest. Right off the bat, early in the interview, O'Donnell started in on him -- with her usual shrill histrionics -- for his vocal support of guns, shooting and RKBA. Selleck handled the whole incident, on national television, with his normal intelligent, reasoned manner and good grace (probably some of us would have simply stomped off the set in disgust). Of course, Selleck ended up looking classy and the fat broad ended up looking illogical, shrewish and rather silly.

geekWithA.45
April 24, 2005, 09:41 PM
+10 on the unsung guys spending what few spare hours they have to salvage hopeless places like NJ, while unhinged fellows like Bryan Miller get salaries funded by the Joyce foundation to plot against us full time.

Y'all know who y'are.

Lone_Gunman
April 24, 2005, 09:59 PM
Bill Clinton accidentally did more to promote the RKBA cause than any president since WWII.

mcneill
April 24, 2005, 10:12 PM
Jerry Patterson - Prime mover of the Texas CHL law.

Jim

patentnonsense
April 24, 2005, 10:17 PM
Besides the names everyone else has mentioned, I would give great credit to Larry Zelman, http://jpfo.org/ - the "Grandpa Jack" comics are worth giving away wherever you can.

Baba Louie
April 24, 2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.obrpc.org/women/remarkable_women.htm
From Florida to 3/5 of the rest of America...
Thank You Marion Hammer

Quantrill
April 25, 2005, 01:24 PM
Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, George McGivern, Adolph Topperwein, Herb Parsons and all the others in the posts above.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who stands out - last 50 years?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!