Exactly what is a "kit gun"?

PDA

Texian Pistolero
April 24, 2005, 06:22 PM
I've been around long enough that I should know, but what is a "kit gun"?.

This has been applied to classic 1950's - 60's S & W .22 revolvers.

Does it mean that it is:

1) Ready to go "as is"?

2) Fits in a kit, as in survival kit?

3) Nobody really knows for sure?

Come back!

If you enjoyed reading about "Exactly what is a "kit gun"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
isp2605
April 24, 2005, 06:57 PM

FPrice
April 24, 2005, 07:01 PM
2) Fits in a kit, as in survival kit?

There was a discussion of this term over on www.smith-wessonforum.com. A kit gun was a small revolver meant to go in your "kit" or your backpack for taking along in the outdoors. Whether to be used as pest control, getting meat for the cook pot, or for self-defense. Anything along those lines.

Texian Pistolero
April 24, 2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks dudes!

(I love this place!)

steveno
April 24, 2005, 07:41 PM
I have a S & W M-63 4 inch that has had several thousand rounds through it. if you ever find one buy it and you won't be sorry

FPrice
April 24, 2005, 08:10 PM
I have a S & W M-63 4 inch that has had several thousand rounds through it. if you ever find one buy it and you won't be sorry

Amen. I have one and love it. Of course, I had to send it back to S&W to have the DA pull smoothed out, but after that it was a joy to shoot.

P. Plainsman
April 24, 2005, 08:44 PM
Though it has never caught on like some other rounds, I look on the .32 H&R Magnum as a definitive caliber for a "kit gun" (John Taffin's phrase is "woods loafing").

magsnubby
April 24, 2005, 08:54 PM
I'll second the S&W 63. I have one i bought nib in July of 1980. It has to be about the best small .22 revolver ever made.

Sharps Shooter
April 24, 2005, 09:19 PM
I'll put in another vote for the Model 63. I think the answer is #2 - my Model 63 resides in my fishing tackle box. :)

steveno
April 24, 2005, 09:32 PM
S & W made a M-632(?) in 32 mag but only a couple of thousand. it would be another one to have but I think that colectors have those. I haven't seen any at a gunshow in a long time. if I could have found one a number of years ago I would have kept the M-651 in 22 mag for a complete set as it were

P95Carry
April 24, 2005, 09:44 PM
I know the question has been answered but - outa interest - back in UK it was possible to get a kit gun - for BP. 'Kit' here was a set of parts!

so - a set of parts .... barrel, woodwork, lockwork etc - and the buyer put it all together from the ''kit'' to make himself a nice percussion (in my case) 44 cal pistol. Wood needed finished too.

It was an inexpensive way to get a nice front stuffer. May even have a pic somewhere ......... here it is. Crap pic - scanned from a poor photo way back - plus, by this stage gun was ''well used'' :p

http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/cb_gun2/44mload.jpg

patentmike
April 24, 2005, 10:28 PM

Model 617 and my favorite, its ancestor the model 43.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/patentmike/model%2043/443with317-3.jpg

pete f
April 25, 2005, 04:39 AM
Kit was a commonly used term to refer to indispensible items that a guy might have around, a tool KIT a shaving KIT, etc. sorta your everyday grab bag of lifes essentials. a kit gun was that small handy, never-without tool that was in the same class as your razor, toothbrush and pockey knife.

foghornl
April 25, 2005, 09:48 AM
Kit Gun as in the old song:

"...Pack up your troubles in your old KIT BAG and smile, smile, smile..."

Meant to be part of your essentials "Road Kit" "Camp Kit" 'Hiking Kit", etc

redbone
April 25, 2005, 11:26 AM
I have a S&W Model 43 with a 3" bbl, which is the "22/32 Kit Gun Airweight". It has an alloy frame and cylinder; very lightweight, handy little woods gun. Love it. Haven't seen many around, but would certainly recommend it to anyone who can find one.

RBH

If you enjoyed reading about "Exactly what is a "kit gun"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!