Ballistic or primer mark?

PDA

vega
April 25, 2005, 08:11 PM
Hi guys,

Have anyone here seen this kind of mark before on a primer? It's either marked on the breech face or factory marked by the primer manufacturer.

I was at the local firing range yesterday and I was collecting brasses for my 9mm (I know I'm cheap) and I don't really care if its my brass or not as long as I fill up my case. I shot 400 rds so I picked up the same quantity.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/g19/marking.jpg
vega

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic or primer mark?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vmi93
April 25, 2005, 08:38 PM
It looks like the striker mark left from the rectangular striker on a Glock. Glocks don't have round firing pins like most other pistols, they have a narrow rectangular striker that leaves a distinctive rectangular dent in the primer.

model 649
April 25, 2005, 08:47 PM
Are you talking about that mark that looks like the letter "A" on the lower area of the primer? That is weird. Looks like a way off-center strike, too. Never seen a primer marked with a letter before. Maybe it was, in fact on the breech-face and embossed the primer? Hmmmmm!
Josh

Preacherman
April 25, 2005, 09:30 PM
I've seen primers with identifying letters or numbers on them, usually in ammo from some European countries, and typically in service-issue ammo. However, I've never seen any in the USA. Perhaps an imported batch?

win71
April 25, 2005, 09:55 PM
Looks like an RP case. Did you find anymore like this? Could be an odd one that got through. Didn't know about letter markings on foreign made stuff. Thanks Preacherman for that bit of wisdom!!
Ron

stevelyn
April 26, 2005, 12:18 AM
I've noticed in newer lots of CCI Blazer and Speer Gold Dots that they have a 'V' stamped on the primer. I have no clue as to what its purpose is.

vega
April 26, 2005, 02:55 AM
Yes, I was refering to the letter "A". If the letter is in the breech face then it would cause friction in the cycling since it would be slightly higher than the breech face. That is the only one I have and I didn't de-prime it. Wonder what A meant?

vega

Intel6
April 27, 2005, 03:50 PM
Some manufacturers do mark their primers like that. I know CCI marks their match rifle primers with a little "B".

Since this is a 9mm case I would guess that the round was probably a "lead free" round. A lot of the Lead that you can get from firing regular ammunition is actually from the lead styphenate in the primer. The key component to "lead Free" ammo is a lead free primer. When the ammo is loaded it is hard to tell the difference in the ammo if it is out of the box so they probably mark the primer so they know.

Neal in AZ

BluesBear
April 27, 2005, 07:04 PM
Neal beat me to it.

I have noticed similat markings on "green" ammo recently. Since most, but not all, of the factory loads are also identified as such on the headstamp, marking the primer signifies that it is a factory loaded "green" primer and not a remanufactured round with a standard primer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic or primer mark?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!