Problems with Berry's Plated Bullets

PDA

Krag
April 25, 2005, 08:51 PM
I was test firing some 9mm reloads today that use 115 gr. Berry's Plated Bullets. Out of my Para-Ord 18.9 LDA and Beretta Elite they shoot great. But when fired from my G17, G34 and my friend's G19 they were keyholing within ten yards. :eek: :cuss:

Has anyone else had problems with these bullets? I wonder what's causing it? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems with Berry's Plated Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cordex
April 25, 2005, 08:53 PM
As I recall, plated bullets in a Glock are a no-no just like lead. Polygonal rifling just doesn't seem to like 'em.

Clark
April 25, 2005, 10:36 PM
Berry's Bullets are nice people, but the bullets fly appart with hot loads and leave the target ragged.

C. H. Luke
April 25, 2005, 10:38 PM
Berry's 124 RN have run thru own 34 with OEM and KKM bbl. for at least 10K rounds with good to exc. accuracy. Same for G21/20, etc.

Don't have a handle on keyholing at all. FWIW, my crimp is .378 and is done as per Brian Enos method... Berry's have always run right at .3555 by own measurments.

"...plated bullets in a Glock are a no-no just like lead.."

No offense but that's total bull.......

Ben Shepherd
April 25, 2005, 10:49 PM
Back your crimp off just a smidge and try again. Plated bullets are not fans of hard/heavy crimps.

I've had the same type of trouble with plated bullets in other guns, and a lighter crimp helped tremendously.

CB900F
April 25, 2005, 11:11 PM
Fella's;

I've used both Berry's & Ranier copper-washed lead for years in both my .357 & .40 S&W.

The only problem I've ever had was of my own making. Tried to drive the bullets too fast in the .357. The base expanded in the cylinder gap & shaved.

The .40's exit the polygonal barrel of my H&K USPc. No problems.

Perhaps the bullets are just allergic to Glocks :evil: .

900F

cordex
April 25, 2005, 11:27 PM
No offense but that's total bull.......
Hey, I've been wrong before ...

Navy joe
April 26, 2005, 12:18 AM
I have about 20K rounds of 115 Berrys through a Glock 17 and 34 with no problems and good accuracy. They have gotten me through several years of IDPA and USPSA just fine. I did make some loads up with Hornady XTPs recently that are the most accurate thing I've shot in a Glock, the plateds are not up to that standard, but 25yd accuracy is still very much in the black on a B-8. As others have said, lighten up on the crimp, when I set my crimp die I pulled and measured bullets until I had a case dimension that was correct and no deformation of the bullet. In other words, remove the bell, nothing more.

That said, I made some Berry's 147 up to use up a box I had. I now have a bunch of ammo for my Brownings and berettas. Bullet at 25 yds was completely sideways, it left a nice little Wile Coyote cookie cutter through the target. They were keyholing at 10yds too. I took the G17 apart and stuck in a G34 barrel I had along, same thing. I would assume that the twist in the Glock is too slow, but I know many people who shoot jacketed 147 in Production with no problem. I have to wonder if the bullet isn't smearing down the bore a little instead of engaging the rifling and rotating. Most accurate stuff I've put through my Browning though. Go figure.

FWIW, my 115 Berry's loads are running around 1160fps, no leading or copper fouling, good accuracy, no problems. Load is 4.4 Titegroup, WSP, Berry's 115 at 1.150".

C. H. Luke
April 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
Cordex,

Maybe yo were thinking of copper washed instead of plated?

Mikul
April 26, 2005, 11:28 AM
Berry's bullets are soft lead electroplated with the thinnest layer of copper. You can't push them fast at all or they'll keyhole. A heavy crimp, as mentioned, can also cause this. Try backing off on the crimp and then back off on the charge.

I can't run them through either of my 9mm handguns.

ID_shooting
April 26, 2005, 11:54 AM
I had trouble with em in my 357 but they worked fine in my 9, 10, and 45. I was standing around talking about it in the shop and somone asked if I was crimping the 357s, well of course I was, he then enlightened me that if you roll crimp them too much the case mouth cuts into the plating and will split the plate in two thus causing my accuract issues. I backed off the crimp, and the groups shrunk by half. Now I just taper crimp the 357s and only use them in reduced loads for plinking.

Gewehr98
April 26, 2005, 11:51 PM
Berry's Bullets are nice people, but the bullets fly appart with hot loads and leave the target ragged.

As I recall, plated bullets in a Glock are a no-no just like lead. Polygonal rifling just doesn't seem to like 'em.

I'm looking at the .357 Magnum loads I have in the ammo can for my Desert Eagle. They're the Berry's 158gr plated flat-points, and I run them screaming over 1600fps on top of WW296 or AA #9 through that 6" polygonally-rifled barrel. Never a keyhole, never a bullet failure. No lead or copper in the barrel, and the gas system hasn't fouled from shed bullet chunks.

You guys crimping so hard you're going through the plating into the soft lead underneath? :what:

Chuck Perry
April 27, 2005, 10:37 AM
I'm running Berry's 125 and 135 grain plated bullets thru my 357SIG. Full loads with WC820. Good accuracy, no issues to report.

halvey
April 27, 2005, 10:50 AM
Berry's Bullets are nice people, but the bullets fly appart with hot loads and leave the target ragged. I'm suprised to hear this. I use the 100 gr for my .380 at 25% over max out of my Kel Tec and I haven't had a problem.

caz223
April 27, 2005, 12:48 PM
I've been leery because I've heard of people having problems like these.
But in 357SIG and 9mm+p, I certainly haven't had a problem, so I think I'm gonna try my 165 HP bullets (Been using 'em in my .40s.) in my 10mm, and see what happens....

NoHarmNoFAL
April 27, 2005, 05:31 PM
I have shot thousands of them in 45, 40 & 9 in Glocks and have had no problems what so ever. As a matter of fact they are my favorite bullet. I load 115's at +P pressures and they are just fine.

If you enjoyed reading about "Problems with Berry's Plated Bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!