Cowboy Shooting: Do I HAVE to Wear That??

PDA

Skunkabilly
March 15, 2003, 04:30 AM
OK let's say hypothetically, if I get into cowboy shooting, do I HAVE to wear that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cowboy Shooting: Do I HAVE to Wear That??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smoke
March 15, 2003, 07:40 AM
Yep.

Or you could dress as the Chinese rail workers did in the late 18th century. Come up with a name that fits the clothing and be the first asian bad a$$ in SASS.

Actually, I think that would be quite cool. Rules state "Period clothing". I'm tired of all the gunslinger wannabes that show up, time for something new. Saw one guy that came as a farmer, overalls, brogans, floppy hat, simple holster and lever gun. Shot very well.

OR can you say Kung FU? Remember the series with David Carradine?....oh wait, he didn't have a gun. Nevermind.

Kevlarman
March 15, 2003, 08:54 AM
Heh, then Skunk would have to grow a really long ponytail!

dev_null
March 15, 2003, 12:25 PM
Anything "period" including Hollyweird. That includes:

- 50's TV Western
- Spaghetti Western
- Coolie
- Gunfighter
- Buffalo Hunter
- Plains Indian
- Pueblo Indian
- Woodlands Indian
- Navajo, Apache, Yaqui, etc.
- Mexican
- Townie
- Barkeep
- Banker
- Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
- Cavalry
- Infantry
- Civil War
- Fur Trapper/Mountain Man
- Floozie
- Schoolmarm
- British Cavalry
- Zulu, Hottentot, Tutsi, "Fuzzy-Wuzzy," etc.
- Rajah
- Mandarin
- Samurai

... OK, not so sure about the last few, but they're the right time period so I don't see why not.

'Sides, what's wrong with pants, suspenders, a bib-front shirt, and a hat?

BTW: Come up with a name that fits the clothing and be the first asian bad a$$ in SASS. Been done. Feller goin' by name of "China Camp" is a champion shooter. Got a gun named after him and all.

-0-

Quantrill
March 15, 2003, 01:41 PM
"Or you could dress as the Chinese rail workers did in the late 18th century. Come up with a name that fits the clothing and be the first asian bad a$$ in SASS"
Actually. there is a World Champion who is known as "China Camp" who is Asian. There is also a fellow who comes in full dress British 1800s military. Quantrill

Hkmp5sd
March 15, 2003, 01:59 PM
Ever see the movie Red Sun? Can you picture a banjo picker of Chinese decent, dressed as a Japanese Samuria while participating in a Western Cowboy shooting match and riding wooden horses? :)

(Sounds like a plot for the next reality TV series.)

(Edited for lousy spelling)

Andrew Wyatt
March 15, 2003, 03:06 PM
hey, skunk, why don't you get hooked up with Dennis Ming? He's ultimately tactical and he does cowboy action shooting.

Skunkabilly
March 15, 2003, 03:36 PM
I used to shoot with Dennis. Actually haven't seen him around since I started teaching guitar at church and haven't been making it out there on Sundays.

At a costume party, we had to go dressed up in 1920s stuff, I brought my Cantonese Urban Camo and a mallet.

Do I have to get one of those silly holsters or can I be the Tactical Carbonfiber China Waterbuffaloboy with my thigh holster, and load my .30-30 rounds from a ninja magazine dump pouch?

Seems like the clothes is gonna cost more than the guns. Time to go shopping when I hit up China next month :D

Frohickey
March 15, 2003, 10:02 PM
Get some feathers, best would be eagle feathers, though, I think its a federal offense to have eagle feathers in your possession, so substitute pink flamingo feathers. Make into a headdress, or stick them with hot glue into a baseball cap.

Get some red paint. Slather on red paint over all of your body, remember to remove all of your clothes.

Go as "Buck Nekkid". :D :evil:

Brian D.
March 16, 2003, 05:02 PM
...but sometimes you can be so INSCRUTABLE, it's hard to tell.;) Can't use that 30-30 for the main matches. Usually OK in long range side events though, targets are made to take more pounding, and are far enough away that splatter isn't a big factor.

Navy joe
March 17, 2003, 12:58 AM
Definitely a rail worker get-up, complete with fake ponytail and coolie hat. For further tips, rent Blazing Saddles. Suggested SASS alias is Ming Ping Pow. What fun is life if you can't make fun of yourself? ;)

Skunkabilly
March 17, 2003, 01:49 AM
Definitely a rail worker get-up, complete with fake ponytail and coolie hat.

I have a skullcap with a pony tail. I wore it to work a few times and got the nickname Hop Sing. :)

Navy joe
March 17, 2003, 11:35 PM
We need a name Skunkabirry context.

I add further votes for Tap rack Chang or The Roan Ranger.

Skunkabilly
March 18, 2003, 12:26 AM
I add further votes for Tap rack Chang or The Roan Ranger.

ROR! I rike Tap Rack Chang!

triggertime
March 18, 2003, 01:36 AM
"The Kung Pow Kid" Or... "Iron Jeff"

sm
March 18, 2003, 01:41 AM
Gets my vote...ROTFLMAO

Tap rack Chang (Skunk) does this, either history will be written, SASS will add another 'catagory, or ...not sure what the tactical community will do...

Skunkabilly
March 18, 2003, 02:46 AM
I will have my own tactical moves named after me.

Black Pajama. White stripe. Iron Skunk Harvests a Steel Plate.

Rone Ranger and Drop Point Tanto.

dev_null
March 18, 2003, 10:32 AM
-deleted-

Gunner45
March 24, 2003, 02:16 PM
Have you shot an SASS match yet? If so let us know how it went.

Gunner45

Steve Smith
March 24, 2003, 02:25 PM
Crouching Skunk, Hidden Agenda. :what:

10-Ring
March 25, 2003, 02:01 AM
A 357mag lever action & your USPc 45, right? :what:

How about "Hop Sing" like from Bonanza? :D

Archie
March 26, 2003, 02:29 AM
Dennis "China Camp" Ming is a dear and respected old friend of mine. Not to mention he does stuff with a sixgun that David Carradine doesn't believe.

From the old "Have Gun, Will Travel" radio and TV series, "Heyboy!" The character's real name on the series was "Kim Chang". Actor's real name (TV) was Kam Tong. In the radio series, the actor was Ben Wright. (How's that for exploiting the Asian people?)

The reality is Asian people, especially Chinese, were a big part of the American West. The railroads would never have been built without them.

--------------------
And smire when you say dat, mistel!

Skunkabilly
March 26, 2003, 02:45 AM
Have you shot an SASS match yet? If so let us know how it went.

No gun yet.... :(

Do they allow carbon fiber gear?

dev_null
March 26, 2003, 10:31 AM
Only if it's period-correct.

-0-

shooting4fun
March 28, 2003, 04:02 AM
G'day Skunkabilly, and et al.,

I want to thank you all for making this thread happen. I've enjoyed every entry. It is really hard to not to laugh out loud reading all this. Yeah, the family is asleep. It's one of the few moments I get to enjoy the board.

Anyhow, I wanted to cheer you on when you do get to a match. Whatever you choose as an alias!

Myself, I've been trying to persuade the good folks here [around the real Tombstone AZ] to host a more modern version of a cowboy shoot [ie. 3 gun match]. I'm in a similar boat, I don't have the duds or the old guns. I've got newer ones but I would love to have a go at the 3 gun format. Right now I've got about four folks that are mostly interested. I think when I get a couple of more we can get something really going. Until then the regional pistol matches and etc will keep me busy.

Please keep us posted on what you end up doing! Nice to know I'm not the only Cantonese speaking shooter out there! [Yeah, I've got the tag on the backside that says made in Hong Kong!]

Cheers!

dev_null
March 28, 2003, 10:28 AM
What's Cantonese for "gun?" Then you could go by "Sam ___" since you shoot three kinds of guns. (OK, I know there's actually four guns total in CAS/SASS, but "Sei" isn't much of a first name, even aside from the Chinese superstition about the number 4.)

- dev_null, who learned Cantonese at the same time as English from a Shanghainese amah in HongKong, but promptly forgot it all when we left the country.

griz
March 29, 2003, 07:25 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the answer is no. Other things you can't have:
Baseball caps
Athletic shoes
Nylon gear
Dump pouches

Other than that the rules are pretty easy. I never thought of it before but I suppose PETA would not approve of SASS. Imagine a sport that requires leather.

Skunkabilly
March 30, 2003, 08:19 PM
Do I also need new glasses, they have CF and contacts wouldn't be period-correct.... :confused:

I think I'll just make my name 'Soldier of Fortune Cookie'....

Oh so solley guys, forgot my Cantonese at 4 but I can take orders (eat your rice, sit down, shut up, do your homework and practice your piano)

I still haven't checked one out yet...been preoccupied.

dev_null
March 30, 2003, 10:53 PM
Jeez, I'm just tryin' ta help... we're not all Fan Quai, yanno! :(

-0-

Brian D.
March 31, 2003, 09:41 PM
I mean, brother! Glasses are obviously required due to the fact that the targets are almost always steel. Of course you can wear regular safety glasses with your contacts. (By your thinking, folks that had undergone laser eye surgery would be excluded from shooting too, I guess!) Just go out to one of the matches in your area, southern Kali is the "ancestral home" of SASS!

Frohickey
April 1, 2003, 01:02 AM
"S.O.F cookie"? I like it. :p

Detachment Charlie
April 4, 2003, 03:39 PM
Forget all this ethnic, railroad worker, Hop Sing stuff. From Dev_Null's list I'd pay real foldin money to see Skunk come as a FLOOZY:neener:

dev_null
April 4, 2003, 06:32 PM
Oh, great... "Welcome to the World of Skunky Wong." :D

-0-

Skunkabilly
June 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
I never made it to China on vacation because of SARS....

Now I'm going to look for some 'period correct' Chinese stuff.

http://www.shanghaitang.com/shanghaitang/prod_large_images/2k431l2.jpg

http://www.magicmakers.com/retail/Hats/coolie.JPG

Like this? :D

Edited..oooh...even better:
http://us.st4.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/goodorient_1745_281466

shooting4fun
June 13, 2003, 02:48 PM
G'day Skunkabilly and et al.,

Just had to add, " Hoh Yeah! " [good stuff!] Cheers!

If you enjoyed reading about "Cowboy Shooting: Do I HAVE to Wear That??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!