RPG-7s?

PDA

rangemasta
April 26, 2005, 03:58 PM
Ae RPGs legal to own? I've heard of a few at ginsows and auctions and heard of other desructive devices being legal. :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "RPG-7s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
boofus
April 26, 2005, 04:00 PM
http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/photosfeb04/dd1-48rpg.html

Get your wallet ready, there are fewer than a dozen registered in the US and no more 'souvenirs' can be brought back.

Every round is also a Destructive Device too.

Justin
April 26, 2005, 04:15 PM
I get mine at Phil's Place.

:p

eab
April 26, 2005, 04:22 PM
The army ROTC guys have some deactivated RPGS in their storage closet at MTU. All we Air Force guys got are some deativated 1903s for drill......

Henry Bowman
April 26, 2005, 04:25 PM
Wait a minute! The Brady Bunch said if'n I was a terrorist I could buy these -- no questions asked -- at any gun show. Anyway, how are they any different than those .50 caliber airline-downer guns????

:p

whm1974
April 26, 2005, 06:36 PM
Get your wallet ready, there are fewer than a dozen registered in the US and no more 'souvenirs' can be brought back.

That 1986 law as far as I know only applyed to "machine guns" Now the round itself being considered "Destructive Device" I belive that you can get rockets with inert heads you could shoot. I could be wrong on that however.

-Bill

akviper
April 26, 2005, 06:55 PM
What Henry Bowman said. According to the network news shows you can find this stuff every where and buy it up no questions asked. I must be frequenting the wrong gun shows as the last few I attended mostly had fishing stuff, knives, jewelry, and mres for sale. Actual firearms tables seemed to be in the minority. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Technosavant
April 26, 2005, 10:11 PM
Justin...

I don't go to all that trouble. I find them right outside my door. :D :D :D

Randy in Arizona
April 27, 2005, 12:31 AM
Don't forget the Toilet Mint Flavored Hotdogs, Beanie Babies, and Jerky! :evil: :evil: :evil:

RevDisk
April 27, 2005, 01:03 AM
Yes, RPG's are legal to own. You'd have to register them as destructive devices. Each round would be a destructive device also, I suspect. Probably be cheaper to get licensed as a DD dealer or manufacturer so that you don't have to pay the tax on each round.

Here's some photos of the RPG I got to mess around with. Note how shiny and polished the wood is. No, they didn't let me bring it back to the States. Sigh... sniffle

http://www.revdisk.net/photos/commie/RPG1.jpg

http://www.revdisk.net/photos/commie/RPG2.jpg

roo_ster
April 27, 2005, 04:17 PM
RevDisk:

Is that a AN/PVS-4 on the RPG?

Was it one of the rebuilt puppies with the third gen image intensifier guts?

RevDisk
April 27, 2005, 07:08 PM
RevDisk:

Is that a AN/PVS-4 on the RPG?

Was it one of the rebuilt puppies with the third gen image intensifier guts?

cough, cough. No idea what you could possibly mean. :D

Notice the lovely stock on the RPG that is also non-standard? Hand polished, very nice wood.

Edit : Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations :evil:

scout26
April 27, 2005, 08:04 PM
Back when I was stationed in Germany (when The Wall came down), you coudl deedeely bop over to East Berlin and buy ANYTHING Soviet made for a couple bucks, I got a complete uniform for $10. (and was ripped off). I imagine I could have gotten a couple of crates of AK's and RPG's for a song.

I know a Czech bar owner got a whole T-72 for three bottles of vodka.

dloken
April 28, 2005, 01:47 AM
Why not cut the tube to BATF specs and then have it rewelded/whatever by a SOT (Has to be a special type to make DDs too) back here in the US.

Since it's rocket powered is the tube even a destructive device though? I know the explosive round would be but a non-explosive practice round would be like a big model rocket or something, heh.

RevDisk
April 28, 2005, 02:02 AM
Why not cut the tube to BATF specs and then have it rewelded/whatever by a SOT (Has to be a special type to make DDs too) back here in the US.

DoD says no-go. It's a war trophy, even deactivated. Individual soldiers can't have them. Unless it's going to hang on the President's wall.

Since it's rocket powered is the tube even a destructive device though? I know the explosive round would be but a non-explosive practice round would be like a big model rocket or something, heh.

It's still a DD. The RPG is used to fire the rocket. Nice try. :D

I'm tempted to look up the spec sheets on the RPG. Wonder how hard it would be to manufacture on my own... I remember the internals being dead simple. Even having a dummy version would be amusing.

dloken
April 28, 2005, 02:16 AM
The bore exceeding .50 thing applies to firearms and a rocket tube by definition isn't a firearm. An explosive round would definately be a DD.

http://www.sellagun.net/Classifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=15237 Interesting?

DoD says no-go. It's a war trophy, even deactivated. Individual soldiers can't have them. Unless it's going to hang on the President's wall.

Who says it has to be a soldier though, i'm sure you can find them on sale in other countries (Especially former Soviet satellite states). Get it torch cut to ATF standards in that country if the tube is indeed a DD and mail it back to the US.

jobu07
April 28, 2005, 07:40 AM

I wonder where he parks that beast?

mfree
April 28, 2005, 09:01 AM
What would I do? Can you take the optics off the top and bring them back, take lots of pictures with a ruler around, and have someone make you a replica tube and handle/trigger assembly here?

Or does that optics package count as a war trophy too?

Too Many Choices!?
April 28, 2005, 11:46 AM
Da*n import bans :cuss: !!

zippo8
April 28, 2005, 11:56 AM
Quote:

I wonder where he parks that beast?

Anywhere he wants. :D

RevDisk
April 28, 2005, 06:48 PM
What would I do? Can you take the optics off the top and bring them back, take lots of pictures with a ruler around, and have someone make you a replica tube and handle/trigger assembly here?

Or does that optics package count as a war trophy too?

The weapon itself is really simplistic. I've seen parts charts for them. I'm pondering how difficult it would be to actually build the thing and DD it. I'll write the BATFE and ask. If I built the thing, I'd want all the documentation I could possibly get IN WRITING that it's legal. Real or fake. Anyone remember the fake grenades written up as DD's by the BATFE?

Last thing I want to see is my face on the news about a "suspected terrorist" caught with an RPG and "terrorism manuals". (My book collection is very diverse.)

Simple glass optics I think are ok. I asked JAG about bayonets, empty mags and optics for the AK47. Well, Dragunov optics. I got it in writing that it was ok, and I was discreet. Informally got permission (in writing) from my command also. NVG's and thermals, I don't know. You'd have to consult JAG and command policy. Even if JAG clears it, command policy might forbid it. Remember, get everything in writing. Makes copies. Keep copies in safe place.

bad LT
April 29, 2005, 01:14 AM
zippo8: You beat me too that response. :)

dloken
April 29, 2005, 01:37 AM
NO IMPORTING DD, MG, or Semi auto receivers or anything else cool for civie consumers

See that's where the torching comes in. If it is torched and brought in it's nothing but a pile of scrap metal so far as the ATF is concerned. If a US SOT rewelds it or whatever it is US made and therefore transferable.

RevDisk
April 29, 2005, 02:36 PM
See that's where the torching comes in. If it is torched and brought in it's nothing but a pile of scrap metal so far as the ATF is concerned. If a US SOT rewelds it or whatever it is US made and therefore transferable.

Not exactly. MG's that are not registered are forbidden from made. The registry is closed for civilians, only police and military are allowed to have 'em. DD's are also highly regulated, you have to be a licensed DD importer. Semi's can also be imported, but there are rules on that too. Parts counts, only from certain countries, limits on how many you can import, can't be overly military looking, etc.

Torch cutting is not a simple job of rewelding. I'd prefer not to fire a weapon I know has been torched, and then rewelded. If done by someone less than an expert... uhm, not good things.

The laws are very tricky on importation. One slip, you're in a world of hurt.

Harry Tuttle
April 29, 2005, 02:56 PM
this ones legal:
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//thumper.jpg

& there is an RPG Mod:
http://hstrial-avanderplaats.homestead.com/launcher_5a.jpg

http://hstrial-avanderplaats.homestead.com/Index.html

Harry Tuttle
April 29, 2005, 03:07 PM
of course this is 2005, so theres an Airsoft RPG-7:
http://smokeys.main.jp/smokeys-gf/shop/page/0021-22/index.htm

http://smokeys.main.jp/smokeys-gf/shop/page/0021-22/01_r2_c1.jpg

http://img.shop-pro.jp/PA01000/595/product/24213_o3.jpg

:cool:

jobu07
April 29, 2005, 04:03 PM
That's pretty cool, even if it is airsoft. I'd buy one just to hang on the wall if it wasnt' too expensive. Any ideas how much it runs?

And how in the hell does it work? Plastic bb's must be one thing, but I dont' want anyone firing a plastic rocket at me, it must move fast enough to have something resembling accuracy...

Duh_Bear
April 29, 2005, 04:19 PM
The "rocket" is a removable mock unit. It uses 40mm gas operated airsoft grenades, basically acts like a big ass shotgun, though foam slug rounds are available.

Harry Tuttle
April 29, 2005, 04:23 PM
its a grand and it fires 24 paintballs from a green gas powered gernade cartridges. The war head is a dummy that you remove to fire paint

heres 40 mm airsoft gear
http://rap4.com/os/default.php/cPath/38

i may mod my MKX launcher to fire the big nerf vortexi

it fires the 2 inch pocket vortexi ~ 100 yards

dloken
April 29, 2005, 04:45 PM
Not exactly. MG's that are not registered are forbidden from made. The registry is closed for civilians, only police and military are allowed to have 'em. DD's are also highly regulated, you have to be a licensed DD importer. Semi's can also be imported, but there are rules on that too. Parts counts, only from certain countries, limits on how many you can import, can't be overly military looking, etc.

Jesus christ, i'm refering to a DD, not an MG. IF it is torch cut to BATF standards it is NOTHING BUT A PARTS KIT. If the imported parts kit is rewelded by a DD SOT it would be considered to have been made by the SOT and not an imported DD. This is what i've been trying to say.

Crosshair
April 29, 2005, 07:34 PM
*cough*know where I could get a scope like that*cough* :D

rangemasta
April 30, 2005, 04:10 PM
Maybe I'll just move to Russia.LOL

SolaScriptura139
April 30, 2005, 07:09 PM
I wonder what the trigger pull's like on those :D :neener:

RevDisk
May 1, 2005, 12:38 AM
I wonder what the trigger pull's like on those

Moderate, but definitely not the smoothest.

If you enjoyed reading about "RPG-7s?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!