How many people shoot their carry gun in IDPA or other matches?

PDA

GEM
April 27, 2005, 02:29 PM
I carry my Glock 19 quite a bit. Whenever, I don't have to carry my SW 642 because of dress, it's the G19. So it's about 40 % of my carry time.

Thus, I shoot this G19 in IDPA.

Do you folks shoot your carry gun? I was thinking about a 1911 for fun but I probably wouldn't carry a big one.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many people shoot their carry gun in IDPA or other matches?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
April 27, 2005, 02:41 PM
My current carry choice was made with this very much in mind. SIG226 in 9mm. And now using it also for IDPA.

Seems logical to me - to get the most practice with carry piece. I did carry my BHP last year for a while - used that too for IDPA.

9mm also is for economy reasons!

frenchwrench
April 27, 2005, 03:05 PM
Glock 23 is what I compeat with,but I usually carry 27.

Correia
April 27, 2005, 04:59 PM
Yep, Springfield loaded model, or Kimber Poly. 5 inch either way.

Corey ACP
April 27, 2005, 05:35 PM
In IDPA I usually shoot a Les Baer 1911 .45 Daily carry is a Stainless Colt series 80 1911 .45. Different gun, same platform.
In 3 gun matches, usually a 9mm Colt 1911 or a Springfield XD

HSMITH
April 27, 2005, 06:16 PM
Yes, and I shoot it in both IDPA and IPSC limited class.

Krag
April 28, 2005, 06:53 AM
Most of the IDPA shooters I know around here appear to be "gamers" and used a slicked up version of their regular carry gun with special triggers, sights, internals, grips, etc. I'm sure some of the mods are "illegal" and not in the spirit of the game, but they are not obvious so they get away with it. They are pushing the envelope in hopes of gaining an edge, Just like the Ipsicers do. :banghead:

gigmike
April 28, 2005, 08:36 AM
I carry a 1911 and so that's all I've used in IDPA. I have a Kimber and a Yost-Bonitz that I can choose from. I use my IWB holster also as I consider IDPA to be an opportunity to work on those "carrying skills". However I will admit to being sorely tempted to use my Blade-Tech OWB kydex holster to keep up with the gamers.

OF
April 28, 2005, 09:05 AM
Carry, IDPA, USPSA Lim-10: Springfield loaded.

- Gabe

thereisnospoon
April 28, 2005, 09:30 AM
I do shoot my carry Glock 22, as well as my revolver, my Kimber .45 and a EEA Witness .38 Super in ESP. Why not shoot evrything?

W Turner
April 28, 2005, 09:54 AM
I carry a SW 642 during the work week (70-80% of my total carrying time) and a Springfield Lightweight Loaded Modeel the rest of the time. I have shot the 642 in BUG matches in the past and have been shooting my Springfield for the past few months.

I also recently bought a Glock 17 to use mainly for shooting in SSP, but I do carry it occasionally.

W

Wakal
April 28, 2005, 11:30 AM
I am forced by IDPA's "rules of the week" to download my carry gun by eight rounds, but still run real ammuntion in it instead of the wusstacular ammo that would be perfectly legal. Oddly enough, the real ammuntion is the same handloads that I use in my Open "raceguns..."

Of course, since I carry a STI Commander-length bushing-barrel custom job in 9 by 23 Supercomp :neener:

Alex

NC Shooter
April 28, 2005, 06:22 PM
I carry my Colt Commander and shoot it also in IDPA matches in the same holster and cover I use everyday. I figure that is the only way to remain competent and practiced.

SpookyPistolero
April 28, 2005, 09:01 PM
I shoot a Glock 33 which is also my carry weapon. The clothes I wear are the same I wear in day-to-day activities, as are my belt and holster. I'd say that it's more important to shoot the same type of weapon in IDPA (not necessarily exactly what you carry) if you're goal is to become more competent with your carry weapon.

XD Niner
April 28, 2005, 09:54 PM
I carry and shoot both my XD-9 and Loaded Black Stainless in the local USPSA matches. I'm never going to threaten the various cometitive icons so why not shoot what I carry?

Zeke Menuar
April 28, 2005, 10:12 PM
I shot my old beat-up LW Commander for years in IPSC, IDPA and any other match I could find. The Commander is still my main carry gun.

ZM

Harlie
April 28, 2005, 10:47 PM
After approx 6K + rounds, in an effort to reduce wear and preserve for carry, bought a DW PT-CBOB as a companion piece and IDPA handgun. Both are Comm' sized, Sc "Bobtail" with alloy frame and the DW is a SS frame. Both .45 ACP, equipped with NS and rubber grips. For IDPA/USPSA use reloads at a 180/185 PF and carry w/Rem' GS 230 gr. All holster work from a Blade-tech IWB. View IDPA/USPSA as training practice as much as competetion. Shoot USPSA w/a 5" S&W 1911 or Comm' length depending on how I feel that day, can't achieve stress levels at home range comfort zone as easily as during organized events.

otasan
April 28, 2005, 10:47 PM
When I shot in IDPA matches at the excellent Pioneer Sportsmens Club in Dunbarton, NH, I used my carry G17.

GEM
April 29, 2005, 12:14 PM
One point, I picked up in the discussion - I wish we ran more bug gun matches instead of them being side matches that are done infrequently. I can remember one in a year around here.

Sometimes, I'm tempted to shoot a regular match with my 642 and come in dead LAST! I'd still be out there reloading!

Ankeny
April 29, 2005, 03:04 PM
Most of the IDPA shooters I know around here appear to be "gamers" ...

IDPA is a game and for that reason I shoot whatever I feel like dragging along. If I want to "train" I'll go do defensive drills in a training setting. I usually shoot a full size 1911 even though I carry a G26 or a lwt commander. I have shot both of my carry guns in matches and I have done quite well. Considering the low round count and "in your face" scenarios, the difference between a "real" gun and a "gamer" gun isn't much.

jdkelly
April 29, 2005, 04:01 PM
I think there are at least two types of gamers in IDPA:

The first attempts to alter their equipment to fit the rules.

The second attempts to alter the rules to fit their equipment.

Respectfully,

jkelly

The Rabbi
April 29, 2005, 04:01 PM
I carry a Smith Model 19 and shoot it in IDPA as well. The only difference is I carry .357mag and shoot .38spc. I occasionally shoot other guns just to keep in practice and for variety. If I dont carry the 19 I'll carry a 3" 65, which is functionally the same gun. I buy guns with an eye towards both carry and competition and have decided against buying numerous ones just because I wouldnt want to compete with them or couldnt.

I would like to see some stages that call for both the primary AND the BUG. For those of us who carry like that it would be very educational.

psyopspec
April 29, 2005, 06:15 PM
My typical carry is a USPc .45. Most of my practice is done with a USP 9 FS. This cuts down on the cost of ammo, allowing me to get more trigger time in, and though I didn't buy it specifically for an edge in IDPA, it is the pistol I'll shoot first in competition. Most of the matches I go to have at most 15-20 competitors, and after completing all the stages we'll run them again for anyone who brought another pistol that and wants to try (scoring is only for personal reference the second time around, no "best out of two" for the official posted scores). Typically it's 9mm first, then carry gun the second time around. Thus I shoot what I carry in competition, though I don't do it during the sanctioned rounds that "count." Some might criticize, but to me IDPA is primarily a game, then a way to train. I figure with the same platform I'm good for the most part anyway.

spitfiresubgun
April 29, 2005, 10:04 PM
http://www.pixhost.com/pixg/gotvett/uzi-ipsca.jpg

It has been awhile since I shot IPSC But this was my gun of choice But I did start with my Series 80 Colt Gold Cup.
My Rifle entry.
http://www.pixhost.com/pixg/gotvett/aauzi1.jpg

Current Competition Rifle is my Spitfire Carbine F/A shooting at local matches at Port Malabar, FL. and Knob Creek Shoot Fall '05. Placed 13th, Fall '04 Open Bolt with Optics.
http://www.pixhost.com/pixg/gotvett/1aspitfirenew-a.jpg

Ankeny
April 29, 2005, 10:58 PM
There is nothing wrong with shooting IDPA with legal gear in which ever division you choose. Folks who use illegal gear aren't "gamers" they are cheaters, period. I sure get tired of the whiners who complain because some guy beat them with a Wilson Combat, Les Baer, STI, etc. It ain't the arrow it's the indian.

jdkelly
April 29, 2005, 11:30 PM
It ain't the arrow it's the indian.---Ankeny

Ron,

I think it is both the arrow and the indian. If it wasn't, neither IDPA nor USPSA would divide the shooters by "arrow".

But with in the same division I think you are correct for the most part. However I do believe that a $3,500 Wilson Combat has an advantage in accuracy and function over a $350 P*S.

Personally I've always liked shooting against expensive guns, it's the only time I'll get to see them!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Ankeny
April 30, 2005, 10:39 PM
jdkelly:

I absolutely agree with you, the Indian/arrow and singer/song sayings get over used and gear can make a difference. What I am refering to is the guys who blame thier gear when they haven't even begun to realize their own potential with what they already have. And of course we know guys who watch top flight shooters rock with the spendy stuff, then comment about how they would suck with a stock Glock.

The truth is in the middle. Rob Leatham would clean the floor with us using a stock XD, but when he shoots against Sevigny a decent trigger job and sights are necessary to be in the game.

Genghis
May 2, 2005, 11:06 AM
When I started shooting IPSC and IDPA a few months ago, I started shooting with my Para P-14. For the most part I carried a 9 mm.

I'm still developing the basic skills for shooting in these matches, and it's vital for me to eliminate as many distractions as I can. So for now I'll continue to shoot the Para. But once I've gotten a little better at the basics, I'd like to shoot different types of guns in matches, and even get classified with different types. I saw my first wheelgun in a match yesterday. The guy worked his *ss off, but he sure gets a lot of practice with reloads. Tempting . . .

Now I'm taking more of an interest in carrying the BIG GUN. I know what I can do with it, and I know if something happened I'd be far more effective with it. I tend to carry the biggest gun I can conceal, but with the weather here that's often something a lot smaller than a Para.

TonyB
May 2, 2005, 01:06 PM
I carry a 5 shot revolver(sp101)and I have used it on occasion,but mostly use my glock17(which I never carry)..it does kind of bother though...I shoot IDPA once a week,so after 2 years I now shoot my 17 better than any other gun I have...I guess I'm just too competitive to use the SP more often..I like to see those low scores...we've never had a BUG match either...although once in a while me and a couple other guys will bring the 5 shots and compete against eachother..I recently bought a 6 shot carry gun(that had to back to the factory)to use as both a carry and idpa gun.....just waiting to get it back....

faustulus
May 2, 2005, 06:08 PM
I compete with several different guns, some of which I carry. (others are just for competition.) It doesn't really matter to me if I compete with my carry gun because all of my guns are pretty much the same. They each have a barrel which is pointed at the bad guy, all of them have a trigger which is pulled when you want to fire the gun and all of them have sights to make put on the target.
I learned to drive on a 1972 Chevy Impala, oddly enough I can drive my '95 M3 pretty much the same way.
To me, these games are about having fun and getting some trigger time. Shooting will help your skills no matter what you are using.

Krag
May 2, 2005, 06:10 PM
I recently chatted with a guy who carries TWO (!) 1911s all the time. A Gov't Model in a IWB holster and a Springfield light weight "Commander" sized in a shoulder holster. He also totes two spare 8 round mags. :eek:

I asked him "Why?" and he told me that he is "...prepared for anything!" :fire: I gave him a bit of advice, "Stay away from deep water." :scrutiny:

The Rabbi
May 2, 2005, 06:48 PM
It doesn't really matter to me if I compete with my carry gun because all of my guns are pretty much the same.

Not really. Oleg had a fine article on this very topic in Concealed Carry Magazine. He pointed out that the very same action on a Smith auto and a Beretta auto will produce two opposite results. I wont even mention the P7.

faustulus
May 3, 2005, 01:21 AM
He pointed out that the very same action on a Smith auto and a Beretta auto will produce two opposite results.
I'm betting pulling the trigger with the barrel and sights pointed toward a target will create the same results. If you don't believe me I can do some experimenting and post the results.

tcdrennen
May 3, 2005, 01:50 AM
I alternate between my EDC Kimber ProCarry and my TLE for the 2x monthly IDPA matches. I do use my EDC holster (Milt Sparks VMII) and mag pouch with either. And the first stage is shot with my EDC mags and carry ammo (230 gr. HydraShok); I switch to the beater mags and FMJ reloads after that, though. That cycles the ammo once a month but saves money :cool:

I used to use an Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle for IDPA and everything else, but while it's slightly faster on the presentation, practicing with what I carry everyday is VERY important, so it might as well be fun, too! :D

The Rabbi
May 3, 2005, 09:53 AM
I'm betting pulling the trigger with the barrel and sights pointed toward a target will create the same results. If you don't believe me I can do some experimenting and post the results.

Try sweeping the safety up first and then report what happens when you pull the trigger.

GSMD Fan
May 3, 2005, 11:43 PM
I shoot with many different guns in IDPA because it is fun.

Most of the time I do use a Berreta Elite for IDPA and always carry a Centurion.
Same grip and manual of arms, just slightly shorter and lighter package.

faustulus
May 4, 2005, 01:47 AM
Try sweeping the safety up first and then report what happens when you pull the trigger.
Berettas and Smiths are DA why would you bother with the safety? and on my 1066 and 92, both seem to fire with the safety up.
I am not saying that guns are different, (the example I would have used was the browning Hi Power and a BDM.) That being said. I don't really think it matters in a match. I have shot many with many different guns. (I spent six months shooting every week with a different gun.) And have never had a problem adjusting. I think if you are familar with your weapon, you will be able to handle the transition just fine -- at least I am sure that I will be able to handle it.
This is just a game for me. It also helps me improve some skills which, lets face it, I will probably never need. That being said, I can clear jams, reload magazines and identify targets better than I did before I started shooting competively.

tarrigoni
May 15, 2005, 03:30 PM
I carry and use a Glock 19 in a threat solutions ucr for IDPA and everyday life.

WESHOOT2
May 22, 2005, 09:14 AM
ALL my guns are carry guns; all (but the 22's) are competition guns.
No exceptions.
All.

dpesec
May 22, 2005, 12:39 PM
I shot my first match yesterday. It was way different. I stunk :( .
I'm very good at target shooting, but the rules and stuff caused me to be way off my mark.

There's so much to remember that it'll take months, to get things right.

faustulus
May 22, 2005, 06:50 PM
ALL my guns are carry guns; all (but the 22's) are competition guns.
No exceptions.
All.

:uhoh: Well, :uhoh: uh, :uhoh: technically, that (but the 22s) part is an exception. :neener:

:D

Series 70
May 23, 2005, 12:52 PM
I don't have any competition-only firearms. The 1911 I shoot in IDPA is the same 1911 that sits on my belt right now.

Ian
June 5, 2005, 07:22 PM
I carry a cheap surplus Sistema 1911 with a trigger job. I used it in IDPA when I shot IDPA, and I currently use it in IPSC and Bullseye matches (with a .22 kit on it for the .22 portion of the bullseye shooting). What can I say? I'm too poor to go buy new guns for games. :)

CZ52GUY
June 7, 2005, 09:12 PM
I compete with and carry my G22, G35, 1911's, CZ-75's, and brand spanky new G26 :).

Stay Safe,

CZ52'
- No, I don't carry the CZ52 or compete with her...she's too perty ;)
- I too have a non-compliant IDPA body (nice one JK :))

If you enjoyed reading about "How many people shoot their carry gun in IDPA or other matches?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!