Over and Under vs Side by Side for trap? Why so many O/U?

PDA

macrophage
April 27, 2005, 10:43 PM
I am just really getting into trap. It is way addicting. Anyway, I have been shooting it with a gas gun, which works, but shoots the hulls about 10 feet directly to the right. I have been hitting the guy next to me with the empties when we shoot a full group. Not very nice, so I have been looking for a good break action with extractors, not ejectors.

Well, anyway, I have a friend who wants to sell me his Huglu side by side 12 ga shottie. A 103c, I believe. However, most of the guys I see down there are using over and unders, not side by sides. Is there a real difference for a beginner like me?

Another question, whats a good asking price for a never been shot, in the original box Huglu?

Last bragging point... Got my first 22 out of 25 score yesterday! (way big grin)

Mac

If you enjoyed reading about "Over and Under vs Side by Side for trap? Why so many O/U?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Okiecruffler
April 27, 2005, 11:13 PM
The theory holds that it's easier to hit with the single plane of the O/U. My experience has been that the narrow sight plane just looks plain silly and you need those two big old tubes to keep you shooting straight. But then again I cut my teeth on a SXS, so I'd suggest you take a real good look around you. Somethings gotta be keeping all those O/Uers on the line, and it sure ain't aesthetics. :barf:

sm
April 27, 2005, 11:34 PM
Okie - you forgot the part where one's eyes are "OO" not in a "8" ( figure eight) configuration. :D

Okie is correct in the single sighting plane in regard as to being "best" for trap and skeet. Truth is single sighting planes , be it O/U or semis rule the clay game/ sports.

Just like 28 ga scores are the best in skeet- look at any tote board and it is that evident.

Trap with rising targets - get a O/U if you are serious about being a competitior. I don't know how the gun you mentioned will hold up over the long haul. Don't know about service when and if you need.

I for instance competed in Skeet, I shot 25K rds in a year in 12 ga alone. I shot the other 3 gauges as well. My guns had to hold up. The gas gun - a SuperXModel 1 held up...is still holding up. One has - I dunno easy to say 200K+ rds thru it.

My Citori's held up...

SxS have been the preferred and proven design for "driven birds" forever.

ME, I don't compete anymore - per se' :evil:
I like using a pump gun - a 870 for everything.
I like using single shot shot shotguns still. Even I have run 50/50 in trap using a H&R Topper...Done it with a SxS too...A Parker.

SxS I like and respect. 311 is a fine example. I drooled and still lust for a 20 ga I saw in Tulsa...

I can see me toting a SxS and using for everything...done it before.

GreenFurniture
April 27, 2005, 11:40 PM
If you're going to shoot trap, and nothing else, do yourself a favor and get a single barrelled trap gun with a 32-34" bbl.

For sporting clays, get an O/U with 30-32" bbl.

Skeet an auto with a 24-26" bbl.

And for hunting a SxS with a 28" bbl.

And now, we can talk about our favorite chokes.

sm
April 28, 2005, 12:43 AM
GreenFurniture,

Ya know, I knew I liked the way you think for a reason. :)

I agree with longer bbls for everything - Including Skeet. Being a Skeeter...my personal guns run 28 " bbls on everything. This was before longer bbls were really avail.

I shoot low gun, yeah even when the Trap folks let me ( a skeeter) on the Hallowed Trap grounds. [ old razzing here folks :p ] One can mount to face a long tube - even them 34" just as smooth and fast as short one.

I used the SuperX Model 1 Target 2 bbl set. Fixed choked 30" for trap,( yeah I even stuck the shell catcher on it) and 26 " for skeet.

Then I had Nu-Line take that bbl on a SX1 Field grade - a 28" fixed mod bbl and do the external knurled chokes. I got to where I used that for everything, from quail to skeet to to ducks/ geese...and onto the trap line with mud still caked on it...darn skeeters " ain't got no couth". :p

theCZ
April 28, 2005, 12:52 AM
I use an auto (Rem. 1100) for both trap and skeet. I just got my first 50/50 a few weeks ago with it, so I know that you can do just fine with your auto. If you want to keep the empties from flying out, you can get a thick rubber band to keep them from being ejected, or buy a shell catcher from Brownells. On the other hand, I tried a guy's Benelli autoloader on sunday for skeet. It had a single bright orange bead at the end of the barrel that looked kinda like a tiny clay pigeon sitting on the barrel, distracting as heck!

jzzmusician
April 28, 2005, 01:31 AM
I always found an o/u much easier to shoot than a side by side.

Shooting with both eyes open, you can see a lot more with only one sight plane. When I was shooting trap I shot everything but ended up with o/u. They just worked better for me.

jzz

No_Brakes23
April 28, 2005, 02:33 AM
Maybe it is because I have never fired one, but the whole idea of a SXS seems counter intuitive. I mean, how is it right to be aiming off center?

But they obviously work, cause people use them. I just don't get it.

arcticap
April 28, 2005, 03:32 AM
1. I haven't seen a side by side on the trap line yet in 3 years of shooting.
2. Why does this guy want to sell you his Huglu? Why isn't he shooting it and will he let let you try it out first?
3. I moved from an auto to a BT-99 with a 34 inch barrel. The high rib helps a lot. When I had a trigger spring problem, the gun was sent to Browning to get fixed under warranty and was back quickly. Can you say the same about Huglu? Have you ever fired a gun with a high rib? It may be just the ticket for you to shoot 25/25.
4. How much have you shopped around to check out what may be available in your price range new/used in your "county" or region? Have you done any legwork? I would hate to see you disappointed or lose ground in pursuit of your trap goals. :D

SamlautRanger
April 28, 2005, 05:47 AM
Just trying them out, it seems O/Us fit better in the front hand due to the slimmer profile.

Dave McCracken
April 28, 2005, 07:20 AM
While SxS shotguns still show up in the field, their use for clays is limited. One can hear lots of reasons for this, but the fact remains the O/U rules the range.

Those who can shoot anything favor the O/U overwhemingly.

If you're looking for a clays shotgun, keep looking.

JohnBT
April 28, 2005, 08:43 AM
No_Brakes23 - The reason is that shotguns are pointed, not aimed. You point the gun at the target; not aim it with the bead. Some people don't even have a bead on their guns. My father recently told me that a great uncle used to file the beads off of all his shotguns as soon as he got them.

Try an exercise: Look out the window at a small bird and quickly point your index finger at it. Easy right? Would it have been easier with a bead on the end of your finger? :)

John

Kingcreek
April 28, 2005, 01:18 PM
Ever try to fit a Side-by-side neatly in the gun rack?
That's the real reason why you only see Over-unders, Semis, and Single barrel trap guns.
Years ago, I went to the trap range with my Browning SxS, shot only from low mount. Only broke 21/25 but I could have done better if the old trap fartz would have butted out and not tried to "coach" me every shot on "proper" form. (I think i drove 'em nuts)

macrophage
April 29, 2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for all your advices. I'll save up my money for a good O/U instead of the SxS. You guys are excellent.

Mac.

Okiecruffler
April 29, 2005, 02:50 PM
I don't think anyone suggested you not buy a SXS, just not to use it as a trap gun. :D

JohnBT
April 29, 2005, 06:25 PM
Exactly. It's not a question of what to buy, it's a question of what to buy first. JT

kbheiner7
April 29, 2005, 06:58 PM
It really depends on what you like and what you're used to.

I love the look and romance of the SxSs, but it looks plain huge when brought to my shoulder. I cut my scattergun teeth on a pump and moved on to autos, so the OU looks OK to me.

If you like the look and feel of the gun you're considering - go for it.

redneck2
April 30, 2005, 02:57 PM
Haven't shot trap in a long time, but perhaps the side by side barrels may block out the rising bird. Restricted view

If you enjoyed reading about "Over and Under vs Side by Side for trap? Why so many O/U?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!