Finally eligible for California CCW!

PDA

DRZinn
April 28, 2005, 06:23 PM
I was recently made a supervisor (after a whopping 1.5 months on the job, and assistant manager next week) of the store where I work. This frequently involves taking deposits of up to $10,000 or more to the bank, sometime after dark.

I'm in a quandary. It'll cost $140 just to apply, even if I'm rejected. :(

And does anyone know if military training can replace the safety course they want?

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally eligible for California CCW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Noban
April 28, 2005, 06:29 PM
Doc - You should call the issuing authority (sheriff, police chief) and ask them directly. In Santa Barbara County, you have to take the test even if you had military experience.

Standing Wolf
April 28, 2005, 09:41 PM
It'll cost $140 just to apply, even if I'm rejected.

Where's it say that in the Second Amendment, anyway?

DRZinn
April 28, 2005, 10:40 PM
In the liberal amendment to the Second Amendment, which reads something like this:

Unless it scares somebody knowing that you have the means to stand up for yourself.

Phantom Warrior
April 28, 2005, 11:12 PM
Would the permit be valid all the time or ONLY while you are taking deposits? If it was the first case, I'd say go for it. If the second, that'd be up to you, I guess. I probably wouldn't if it was only valid part of the time.

P95Carry
April 28, 2005, 11:26 PM
Check the ''fine print'' and hopefully - go for it. I wish you luck. :)

PromptCritical
April 28, 2005, 11:37 PM
I don't believe it. You're really Sean Penn aren't you. :neener:

DRZinn
April 29, 2005, 12:00 AM
I'd think it'd have to be valid at all times. My quandary is whether to spend that much money (a whole lot to me) to excercise my rights.

Mark in California
April 29, 2005, 05:48 AM
Go for it, you will never know unless you try. It really is very little money. On a good weekend you probley blow that much on nothing at all. If you are not willing to "pays your money and takes your chance" then you should never think of a permit again or complain of the stupid rules you must follow. Then for the rest of your life, you will wonder if you screwed up.

Personally, I find it very hard to beleave that I have employee's working for me that I can practically guarantee a CCW, and they will either not make the effort or say they do not need it. These are people who are firearm qualified, but they cannot see taking it to the next level.

I worked on getting my permit for seven years (started when I was 22) and when finally got my chance I was in the Cheifs Office the next day. It was good only on a motorcycle in the county. It allowed me to go from house to to the county and back to home in the city. But, it got my foot in the door. Two years later ALL restriction were taken off my permit and I could carry anywhere at anytime.

Pilgrim
April 29, 2005, 11:03 AM
The permit process in the PDRK is designed to discourage people from applying. Don't let them get you down.

Pilgrim

DRZinn
April 29, 2005, 11:16 AM
Maybe if some kind soul would donate $140 to the Zinn CCW Fund? :D

Tinker
April 29, 2005, 11:34 AM
Doc,

You got a CCW in **********? And you're not rich, famous or "connected"?

Did the removal of your left testicle hurt?

:)

TechBrute
April 29, 2005, 11:46 AM
Zinn, where are you in PRK? Depending on where you are, you will have a varying chance in getting a CCP. In San Diego, it's almost guaranteed based on your "reason for need."

www.packing.org is going to be your best resource for finding definitive answers. There are guys there you can contact who will help you through the process.

DRZinn
April 29, 2005, 11:56 AM
Yes, I'm in San Diego County. I was checking packing.org, but they didn't have any information on the military training aspect. The big thing for me right now is the money.

TechBrute
April 29, 2005, 11:59 AM
You have a very good chance of getting your CHL. I'd go for it. You'll want to contact the SD County Sheriff to find out about the training. The guy that administers the shooting test in the basement of the SD County Court is very pro-2A. Assuming he hasn't retired (or worse), if you can hit something besides him, he'll pass you.

George S.
April 29, 2005, 12:38 PM
If part of your direct responsibilities are taking the deposits to the bank and in doing so may put you in danger, why not ask your employer to front the cost of the permit?

Many employers pay for equipment and supplies that are needed to safely perform job duties (saftey equipment, uniforms, tools, etc.) so why not a permit fee??

It's great to get promotions and pay increases, but when the added responsibilities include the risk of being robbed, assualted or possibly killed, and it's somebody else's money, a responsible company should help you out with the tools needed to do the job safely.

TechBrute
April 29, 2005, 12:42 PM
why not ask your employer to front the cost of the permit? Most businesses in PRK are anti-gun. Not only will they not fund it, they will take a dim view of him carrying while on company duty. Now, if they don't know, they can't say no.

CAPTAIN MIKE
April 29, 2005, 12:51 PM
1. Before you submit your application, do a coule of 'practice runs' on the 'Justification' section. Take a look at the California section of the Gun Owners of America sight and see the 'Justification' comments there for some help in designing your write-up.

2. If you have any law enforcement acquaintances or other people in positions of respect (pastors, civic organization presidents, etc.), have them write a letter of recommendation supporting your CCW application and stating that you are a person of maturity and sound judgment who has taken the proper training and can pass a criminal background check.

3. Join the local IDPA and USPSA chapters in your area. IDPA is not as 'sexy' as USPSA (less gamesmanship) but it is very, very practical.
Good luck and stay safe !!

Keyster
April 29, 2005, 09:22 PM
Think of the CCW as insurance.
IF something were to happen you have at least taken the required steps to be legal.
If you are carrying without the permit, you start out with one strike against you.

K.
CCW equipped **********n.

DRZinn
April 29, 2005, 09:53 PM
why not ask your employer to front the cost of the permit? Worth a try, but my chances of sucess are slim to none. Still, I'll mention it.

Not only will they not fund it, they will take a dim view of him carrying while on company duty.When I'm taking the deposits in, I'm off the clock and on my own time. Though I'm still working, so legally I'm still their responsibility, I suppose. But if they take that dim a view of it, I just won't wear it then. We all know that's not the only time I'd want it.

PressCheck
April 30, 2005, 12:22 PM
My PRK CCW is $165.00 every two years.

DRZinn
April 30, 2005, 03:45 PM
IIRC, here the renewal is only 75.

larryw
April 30, 2005, 04:25 PM
Most businesses in PRK are anti-gun.
TechBrute, is that opinion or fact? At my company, we don't golf, we shoot. A buddy got his very large, Fortune 500 Silicon Valley high-tech company (that many have ignorantly called anti-) to fund a shooting club that holds a monthly meeting a the local gun clubs; this company pays range fees and ammo expenses (he keeps a replica mini-gun in his office).

Frankly, "most" of the businesses I encounter are either pro- or don't care.

I think you're painting with too wide a brush there, my friend. ;)

stealthmode
April 30, 2005, 05:46 PM
good for you

this guy that i know through a friend got his several months ago in orange county. his reason was that he went shooting one or more times a week and wanted to be able to protect his guns from being stolen and ending up on the street, and he got it. i have been saving my receipts, maybe i will try one day.

TechBrute
May 1, 2005, 01:31 AM
Larry, I am truely happy for you, but I'll stick to my statement that MOST companies are anti. Your company could be said to be the exception. Lucky man... lucky man...

In fact, I'd be willing to say that most major companies across the US have NO FIREARMS rules in their HR handbook. I've worked for and consulted for around a dozen F500 companies, and every last one had it, without fail.

thorn726
May 1, 2005, 07:11 AM
take a look at this snippet-
(e) Carry a concealed handgun unless one of the following
circumstances applies:
(1) The person has been issued a permit to carry a handgun in a
concealed manner by a local law enforcement agency pursuant to
Section 12050 of the Penal Code.
(2) The person is employed as a guard or messenger of a common
carrier, bank, or other financial institution and he or she carries
the weapon while actually employed in and about the shipment,
transportation, or delivery of any money, treasure, bullion, bonds,
or other thing of value within this state, as specified in paragraph
(7) of subdivision (a) of Section 12027 of the Penal Code.

form this wacked new law, which i really cant maek heads or tails of, it ALMost seems like while you are transporting the cash, you can carry havnig only completed basically the course and reg you need to own a hangun here
(or, no CCW) but i am probably wrong.

i really cant figure this law (bill) out at all-

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_0051-0100/ab_98_bill_20050317_amended_asm.html

ke6guj
May 1, 2005, 06:13 PM
yup, probably wrong :D

I read through that convoluted bill, and what I gathered was that as a business person, you could be administratively fined for "improper firearms usage" but that it was separate from any criminal liabilities.

7583.37. The director may assess fines as enumerated in Article 7
(commencing with Section 7587). Assessment of administrative fines
shall be independent of any other action by the bureau or any local,
state, or federal governmental agency that may result from a
violation of this article. In addition to other prohibited acts under
this chapter, no licensee, qualified manager, or registered security
guard shall, during the course and scope of licensed activity, do
any of the following:

If you enjoyed reading about "Finally eligible for California CCW!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!