Reading The Manual

PDA

GRB
April 29, 2005, 12:55 PM
When you get a new gun (one of a kind that you have not owned before) do you read the entire manual (one that comes with the gun or one you obtain elsewhere, like online) before attemptng to operate the firearm in any manner?

If you enjoyed reading about "Reading The Manual" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TallPine
April 29, 2005, 01:04 PM
No, unless the new gun is an action type that I am unfamiliar with

I scan the manual for any special care and then file it away with the receipt stapled to the inside front cover.

GRB
April 29, 2005, 01:11 PM
The third choice should say "at least the parts that cover safety" not "only parts".

Sorry I could not edit the poll. So I guess it will have to stay that way.

Thanks, GB

41mag
April 29, 2005, 01:14 PM
If I have a problem I skim the manual until I find the solution.

MechAg94
April 29, 2005, 01:17 PM
I have always read them if only for the purpose of learning to properly tear it down and clean it. Usually end up going through the whole thing though. There is a lot of repetitive stuff in most gun manuals though. How many times do you need to read how to load a magazine? The gun safety stuff is good, but it is repetitive also.

Control Group
April 29, 2005, 01:25 PM
I went with "I usually read only parts of the manual I feel are needed to operate it safely but not always," because it's closest to the right answer, but it's still not quite right. I can't claim to read the whole manual, because I always skip the parts that explain: if I hear something odd, I should take it to a gunsmith, if it fails to fire, I should take it to a gunsmith, if anything more than the slide needs to come off, I should take it to a gunsmith, etc., etc. I don't feel bad skipping that.

I also skip anything that explains to me how to use the included cable lock.

I also, admittedly, skip the portions of the manual that are restatements of the four rules.

I do, however, always read every word about the functioning and maintenance of the gun (where each control is, how to field strip the gun, which parts in particular need cleaning/lubing, etc.)

PMDW
April 29, 2005, 01:27 PM
I read the part that tells me how to field strip it.

The rest I figure out on my own.

landon74
April 29, 2005, 01:52 PM
The manual gets consulted if A. I can't figure out how to take it apart or, B. I can't figure out how to put it back together again (guess which happens more frequently :D )

RUBZERK
April 29, 2005, 02:02 PM
I read mine & then had it read to me & then read it again just for the heck of it.

Bayou Boy
April 29, 2005, 02:18 PM
Same as above. I look at the manual to learn how to strip the firearm. The other 20 pages or so are usually about the same in every manual anyway.

Mal H
April 29, 2005, 02:26 PM
I do read all the manuals that come with a firearm, but I also only scan many parts of it. So my response is actually a mix of #1 and #3.

Red Tornado
April 29, 2005, 02:57 PM
It depends on when I pick it up. If I can't go to the range immediately, I usually skim the same parts as everyone else. If I can hit the range, I'll glance at it for safety features.
RT

Technosavant
April 29, 2005, 03:00 PM
I try to read the manual before even buying the gun, let alone using it. Most manufacturers have a manual available for download, and I go through it as part of my research before purchase.

Standing Wolf
April 29, 2005, 04:15 PM
Hey, I've been a Macintosh guy twenty years now. All these things work about alike, right?

Actually, I do look at manuals as needed.

TimRB
April 29, 2005, 04:32 PM
As usual with these polls, there's not a category that fits me. I skip the parts that read something like "CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION!!! If you're a moron, please don't attempt to use this product. Set it down on the floor and back away."

I will read the parts that say how to disassemble and assemble the thing. Hell, I *still* sometimes have to break out the manual to get my Ruger Mk2 back together.

Tim

Control Group
April 29, 2005, 05:31 PM
TimRB: exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

GRB
April 29, 2005, 05:53 PM
As usual with these polls, there's not a category that fits me. I skip the parts that read something like "CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION!!! If you're a moron, please don't attempt to use this product. Set it down on the floor and back away."

I will read the parts that say how to disassemble and assemble the thing. Hell, I *still* sometimes have to break out the manual to get my Ruger Mk2 back together.

TimRB,
I guess I goofed and left the choices to open to interpretation. When I gave a choice about reading parts of the manual to be able to operate the gun safely, I did not mean general firearms gun safety rules per se, nor rules for morons, but specific info for the particular gun in question on how to operate/disassemble, reassemble and so forth (operate safely). You actually fit right in with the one that says you read the manual but only the parts that would allow you to operate it safely - just my poor choice of wording.

All the best,
GB
gb

psyopspec
April 29, 2005, 06:03 PM
When I gave a choice about reading parts of the manual to be able to operate the gun safely, I did not mean general firearms gun safety rules per se, nor rules for morons, but specific info for the particular gun in question on how to operate/disassemble, reassemble and so forth (operate safely).

That's me most of the time. Any special features, tear-down, and any specific maintenance points.

jsalcedo
April 29, 2005, 06:11 PM
Only regarding the reassembly of a Ruger MKII

Dr.Rob
April 29, 2005, 06:12 PM
To quote a friend of mine, if you guys used the manuals, us guys in IT would be out of a job.

I'm betting a gunsmith or two has said the same thing.

Sometimes the manuals are funny... in unintentional ways. Sometimes they are informative (oh crap I can't shoot +p++ out of this thing?) sometimes downright scary (oh THAT's why the damn thing went off and blew a hole in my Gameboy)

GRB
April 29, 2005, 06:22 PM
After seeing all the replies to the poll with the overwhelming 'read it all choice', I'll have my son sit down tonight and read the whole Ruger 10/22 manual. Even though he is familiar with one it cannot hurt especially since he is 15 and his noggin is kind of hard like the old man's. Maybe there is a bit of new stuff for him to learn but, most will be old for him. Still repetition may help to sink in the basic safety rules and the 10/22 operation just a little deeper until they are second nature. The rest of the manual may tell him something about the ridiculous situation we all find ourselves in because of leftists, politicians, lawyers, law suits and greed.

It is amazing how many times they have to bop you over the head with warnings, cautions and other safety stuff because they are afraid of law suits and politicians. Out of the first six pages there are about 5 full pages of warnings. In among those pages you can also find the table of contents and the first two paragraphs of the operating instructions. This is all followed by the rest of the manual which goes to page 53. Since the manual started on page 3 that makes it 51 pages long not including the back and front covers. In that space it contains 18 additional warnings/cautions (in addition to the already mentioned warnings within the first 6 pages) in individual text boxes throughout. My guess is that the other text boxed warnings/cautions amount to about another 5 or 6 pages. This does not include additional red colored text (also meant to warn) that is in among the regular black text of the instructions. Nor am I including the 4 pages of general firearms safety rules as warnings/cautions. Unbelievable.

It is, I think, time to put a leash on the greedy lawyers, their greedy clients and the sky is the limit law suits. Then maybe we could all own guns without half of the hassle. Ccertainly we would at least be saving a tree or two each because of the amount of pages that could be cut out of those manuals and the amount of paperwork that would be kept out of the courts.

Oh well so much for getting sidetracked.

All the best,
Glenn B

lee n. field
April 29, 2005, 07:05 PM
Don't always get a manual. Milsurp Makarov, anyone?

I'll read it, skip the obligatory safety section, read up on the controls and how to field strip.

mcmoyer
April 29, 2005, 07:45 PM
I read the manuals for everything that comes with one....from guns to coffee pots. It's an old habit.
:D
Hell, I even read cereal boxes before I dig in!!

JohnBT
April 29, 2005, 08:32 PM
I read the barrel on a Ruger once. Does that count?

And I read the manual for my dad's new shotgun. Since it wasn't my gun I wanted to make sure I didn't foul it up somehow. I hope the parts of the manual written in Italian, Spanish and all those other languages didn't have something important in them.

I usually read the parts of the manual about dry firing and assembly. I can take 'em apart, but I appreciate a manual that helps me put them back together. I also like to know how far I have to send them to get them fixed.

John

stevelyn
April 29, 2005, 08:41 PM
Only for field stripping and part #s.

Infidel
April 29, 2005, 09:00 PM
"Manual" ? What's a "manual" ?

I do usually read the book for field stripping and such.

Welcome to page 2.

Kamicosmos
April 29, 2005, 10:36 PM
Here's my funny gun manual story.

First auto, Beretta. I'm breaking it down, while a friend is reading the instructions to me out loud. (I'm paraphrasing the manual, so excuse inaccuracies)

Him: Now take the guide rod and spring out...
Me: Okay... *SPROING* as guide rod shoots across room, narrowly missing friend.
Him: JEEZ!! ...then it says: The spring is under tension, be cautious that the guide rod doesn't eject from the gun!

Hilarity ensued.

So I generally read any manual that comes with pretty much anything before I start using it. Most of the time.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 29, 2005, 11:00 PM
What part of RTFM do you not understand?

It's amazing how doing so will keep one out of trouble. I've met people who should have those four letters tattooed on their foreheads.

Yeah, I read the manuals. You'd be amazed just how difficult it can be to get all those little springs in the right way on some things...like SIGs. Or Buck Marks.

I won't get into disk arrangement or logical partitioning on an IBM p5 server, but let's just say it's 'tricky'.

Regards,
Rabbit.

cracked butt
April 30, 2005, 12:29 AM
I always read them now.

I bought a Browning BPS about 10 years ago, and it wasn't until 5 years later that I figured out how to unload the magazine without cycling every round- because I was bored one day and read the manual.

The last gun that I bought that came with a manual was over a year ago, a Springfield 1911A1. I read the manual about an hour after I got it home. Unfortunately, I had to play with the gun a bit, trying out the trigger and safety, and allowed the slide to drop shut a few times first. The I read the manual which clearly states in bold lettering that the slide should never be dropped on an empty chamber. Doh!

JohnKSa
April 30, 2005, 01:25 AM
I spent the money for something I really wanted. Seems pretty logical to spend a few minutes making sure I don't screw it up the first time I take it to the range or take it apart.

absolute0
April 30, 2005, 09:37 AM
I like to read the manual to familiarize myself with disassembly and any "best practices" type stuff.

I buy most of my guns used so unfortunately many times there's no manual to be had :(

Brian Williams
April 30, 2005, 09:42 AM
Most of the time I have read or scanned the manual of any firearm way before I have purchased the gun, let alone before I used said firearm.

Moondoggie
April 30, 2005, 09:43 AM
Ditto on the Ruger MK II, that is if you want it to go back together AND function!

GRB
April 30, 2005, 10:57 AM
I spent the money for something I really wanted. Seems pretty logical to spend a few minutes making sure I don't screw it up the first time I take it to the range or take it apart. I feel this way a lot myself and in addition I also figure why take the chance of having it malfunction and possibly get me hurt too.

I understand the Ruger MKII comments all too well. If you have not disassembled one in a while, well it sure aint easy getting it back together without the manual. Thank goodness MKII manuals are easy to come by. I like the fact that so many firearms manuals can be found online. Even if you cannot find a complete manual at least you often can find disassembly and reassembly instructions. Came in very handy on an Ortgies .32 auto I picked up, not just for cleaning it but also for replacing the firing pin spring.

I buy most of my guns used so unfortunately many times there's no manual to be had :( In that regard here are some places to find manuals online ;) :

From the USA: http://www.again.net/~steve/page7b.htm I think I found out about this one here at THR. A pretty big list of links to available manuals.

From Canada: http://www.marstar.ca/Assembly-Disassembly.htm Not many but, neither are they the guns for which you would always be easily able to find a manual.

From Germany: http://www.mek-schuetzen.de/Sites/Explosion.htm This one takes a bit of navigating until you get to the actual links for the manuals/handbuchen but, you can cut that short by bookmarking whatever pages you need. The site has the info in several languages, English included.

All the best,
Glenn B

Feanaro
April 30, 2005, 11:11 AM
I read the manual for nearly everything I buy. Especially firearms. I may not really be paying attention through the whole thing(Don't put 30-06 into your pistol, don't use +P+++++++, don't shoot other people, etc) but you never know what problems can be avoided by reading the manual.

sm
April 30, 2005, 11:24 AM
I've bought guns that were made before they put serial numbers on them, manual, what manual? :p

Depends on the gun. If a platform I have used forever, I don't. Now I have to admit after all these years I did read the manual on a 2004 870 shotgun. My o-l-d 870 manuals were much thinner, no mention of Rem-oil, and for sure nothing about that durn green tool for a good for nothing J hook safety.

Seems to me somewhere along the way Winchester 94's got a 'safety' button stuck on the side of the reciever too...my manual says nothing about that, then again my 94's ain't got a button either...

After all these years - the one I have yet to see on a Remington 1100 manual, " DO NOT rub inside of receiver opposite of port, you will slice index finger open".

That needs to on the front cover of manual and a sticker placed on the gun - so you cannot pull back bolt and slice yourself...until you read the sticker and have to remove it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reading The Manual" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!