Thinking about police work

PDA

SolaScriptura139
April 30, 2005, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking about a career as a WV state trooper. I am currently a sophmore Religious Studies major here at WVU, and my main plan was to go to seminary and become a pastor, but I'm also really interested in police work, and I can easily serve God in that line of duty. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or if there are any police officers here that could give me some advice. Sorry if this is in the wrong area, I didn't know where to post this question.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about police work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wasrjoe
April 30, 2005, 05:25 PM
You might also consider becoming a chaplain.

SolaScriptura139
April 30, 2005, 05:29 PM
Like Military? I'm married and my wife's about 11 weeks pregnant, so I don't know how feasible military would be. Plus, I would like to stay in WV, morgantown area. I work night staff at WVU's Evansdale Res. Complex, and I've come to find it enjoyable dealing with drunk college kids.

CleverName
April 30, 2005, 07:18 PM
My home church pastor's part of of the police chaplains on call program (or something like that). Basically, whenever the cops need a chaplain for counseling, to talk to the victims/family, just to minister to their needs, etc. they give him or one of the other pastors a page. So you can combine both, it's just you won't be an officer. Talk to the PD, see what you can do.

Or you could go to police academy, see how you like it, and even if you are a cop for a while you could still go back and go to seminary. It might be helpful in police chaplain duty as well.

But in the end, do what God's calling you to do.

Blueduck
April 30, 2005, 07:30 PM
Many very religious people I've known eventually have serious conflicts in doing LE work. Not that there are not a lot of religious officers who do a great job, but just something to be prepared for...

realmswalker
April 30, 2005, 08:47 PM
Only become a law enforcement officer if you like writing lots and lots of paperwork, lots and lots. Also, if you like worrying about being sued by joe knucklehead for doing your job, this is the job for you. If you like being treated like dirt while you are a boot (New recruit/ trainee), then go for it. Besides all that and maybe getting shot, Its a great job with great people, and can be very rewarding. But do a few ride alongs so you know what you are getting into.

SolaScriptura139
April 30, 2005, 11:30 PM
Blueduck, I don't wanna go off topic, but I don't think I'll have any religious conflicts, because the Bible says "Blessed are the peacekeepers." Plus, my work would protect other lives, and I see something noble in that. That's one of the appealing things, that and I'm not trying to be arrogant when I say this, I'm not really afraid of death. I have 100 percent assurance of my fate after death, and plus, I think all the paperwork I'll have to do will be much worse than death :neener:

Fed168
April 30, 2005, 11:46 PM
Do some ride alongs and get a feel for it. It's not all that you think- good, bad or otherwise.

Blueduck
May 1, 2005, 12:01 AM
Was not really thinking of those type of situations SolaScriptura139, I think most know christians can be great warriors of god :)

Being a Trooper you might run into less conflict than a city or county officer, but off the top of my head local situations I have seen that might conflict have been:

Protecting/assiting patients into abortion clinics.

NOT acting to protect people due to legally being no cause act at the time.

Any kind of undercover work may bring a host of moral issues up.

Dealing with situations where the person who is "morally" right is legally wrong. I know an officer that is still haunted by being forced to assist in taking child from a crying mother by force to give them to a pedophile father for court ordered visitation (and he ended up the one called to the hospital a few hours later after child was brought in with a bleeding rectum).

Just suggest you consider the possiblity of being put in a spot where faith and law may be at odds, and what your reaction will be.

No_Brakes23
May 1, 2005, 01:44 AM
While I applaud anyone who wants to join what is sometimes a thankless profession in order to aid others; I question joining a state organization to fulfill a religious purpose. Unless the WV State troops don't take the separation of church and state seriously, you might want to keep your motivations under your hat.

I personally wouldn't want the armed representative of the state who was there with an agenda to "serve God." I realize you probably have the best intentions and don't mean to be abuse your badge, but what you said could be interpreted that way. Mind the tongue, as they say.

If you go with it, best of luck.

entropy
May 1, 2005, 01:53 AM
Well, Sola Scriptura139, you wouldn't be the first pistol packin' pastor on THR, right Preacherman? ( I just love alliteration! :evil: ) My Dad was seriously thinking of becoming a Lutheran Minister before joining the PD. Just keep in mind, cop's kids and pastor's kids tend to be the wildest partyers (or at least they were in my day), so beware! :D

only1asterisk
May 1, 2005, 02:29 AM

SolaScriptura139
May 1, 2005, 02:33 AM
Well, No Brakes, I wasn't planning on pushing my religion on my work. I was trying to say that I can serve God through the position, but I'm not thinking of any crusades or anything. Oh, yeah, I know what you mean, blueduck, but I'm not worried about the whole protecting abortion clinics and the like, because Jesus said, "Give unto Ceasar that which is Caesars" and who am I to force my religion on someone else, no matter how true I believe it to be?

Phantom Warrior
May 1, 2005, 02:43 AM
Blueduck, I don't wanna go off topic, but I don't think I'll have any religious conflicts, because the Bible says "Blessed are the peacekeepers."

I hate to be pedantic, but the actual quote (http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=47&chapter=5&verse=9&version=31&context=verse) is "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." "Peacemakers" has a different connotation to me than "peacekeepers."

I agree with your sentiment, I'm just not sure if that's the right passage to use as a justification. I think you can easily serve God in ANY career. John Eldridge put it well in his book "Wild at Heart." He said, (loosely) "Don't ask, 'How can I serve God?' Find something you are passionate about and allow God to use you in that." I think if you are feeling a call towards police work you should heed that and simply allow God to work through your life, even as a cop.

In the interests of gun-relatedness, you had better also make your peace with Glocks, cuz you might have to carry one. If you hate Glocks, you should probably be a pastor instead. :D What do WV state troopers carry anyway?

bogie
May 1, 2005, 02:50 AM
I'm thinking about a career as a WV state trooper. I am currently a sophmore Religious Studies major here at WVU, and my main plan was to go to seminary and become a pastor, but I'm also really interested in police work, and I can easily serve God in that line of duty.

Hey, you could easily serve God while playing piano in a Tijuana whorehouse too...

NOW, step back, look at your motivations. Do you wanna be a cop, or do you wanna be a preacher? Granted, there's some mergings, but...

thorn726
May 1, 2005, 06:14 AM
If you feel God is calling you to serve this way, go for it- i'd say at least-
Yeah- God would definitely be more behind a state trooper than a regular popo.

ha ha.

we need more HONEST officers out there!

SolaScriptura139
May 1, 2005, 09:31 AM
NOW, step back, look at your motivations. Do you wanna be a cop, or do you wanna be a preacher? Granted, there's some mergings, but...

Ok, bogie, so at what point on any of my postings did I say I was going to merge the two? I've already stated that I'm not on any crusade, and you don't have to preach to serve God, but any motivation that I have must first be based on God in my life, and if that makes some uncomfortable, then I'm sorry. I started this thread asking about police work, and all I've gotten is people talking about me taking my "religion" out of it. I just made that note about serving God as a side note, due to my major and the obvious references by my user name and signature. This thread has gone way off topic, and I would appreciate it if any further posts would be just about police work, I know what I'm doing when it comes to my faith.

Thanks for the correction, Phantom, it does have a different connotation to me as well, but I wasn't hinging on that one passage to justify it, I was just noting the verse.

crazyXgerman
May 1, 2005, 11:52 AM
a few suggestions:

- read the archives at cop talk (http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=30)

- peruse this website (http://www.realpolice.net/)

- read the archives at ask a cop (http://forums.realpolice.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)

- do as many ride-alongs as you can, preferably swing shift friday and saturday.

- find out whether your local department has a citizen's academy

- make a list of questions you have and sit down with several officers to get their opinion

after spending a few weeks doing that you'll have a much better idea what the job is all about. most likely you'll also have a very different opinion about the job than you have now.

i'm in the process of changing careers into law enforcement myself right now, so i'm speaking from recent, first-hand experience.

Phantom Warrior
May 3, 2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the correction, Phantom, it does have a different connotation to me as well, but I wasn't hinging on that one passage to justify it, I was just noting the verse.

I didn't expect you were. Like I said, pedantic.

stevelyn
May 3, 2005, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking about a career as a WV State Trooper.

You can't...................

Until you can whup everybody in Webster County. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about police work" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!