can you put weaver stuff on picatinny?

PDA

Joejojoba111
May 1, 2005, 11:29 PM
I don't understand them, they look very similar in dimensions, can you put stuff for one type onto the other?

If you enjoyed reading about "can you put weaver stuff on picatinny?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dionysusigma
May 2, 2005, 06:28 AM
Something I've been wondering too. :confused:

yesterdaysyouth
May 2, 2005, 06:58 AM
i've never had a problem interchanging the two...

edit: i've never used a lever clamp type though...

AK103K
May 2, 2005, 07:19 AM
I'd say yes for the Weaver rings on the Picatinny or Mil Spec rails, but not necessarily the other way around. Most of the Weaver type rings I've used are the "screw down" type that will allow you to get them tight on pretty much anything. The Mil Spec mounts on the other hand, at least the lever type mounts I have are made to work on the Mil Spec rails and may not tighten down or even fit at all on the Weaver rails. I have a Springfield SOCOM that has what Springfield swears is a Mil Spec rail on it, but ARMS mounts and rings dont fit properly and a Larue mount I have wont go on at all due to the spacing in the slots.
Here's a link to the Picatinny specs:
http://www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/

chevrofreak
May 2, 2005, 09:31 AM
The Weaver is a Jack Weigand Ruger MKII mount, the picatinny is an UltiMAK.

The Weaver likes to spread rings out wider than they should be, I dont like that.

Hutch
May 2, 2005, 02:40 PM
Weaver seems to go on Picatinney just fine, but Weaver rails don't often have the grooves in the right place for Pic mounts to reside.

Joejojoba111
May 2, 2005, 02:48 PM
Cool, thanks! So good old scope mounts are still useable:)

Ringer
May 2, 2005, 09:15 PM
I thought the difference was that the Picatinny mounts had a wider cross bolt. Meaning a weaver mount would fit a picatinny rail but not necessarily vice versa. Then again I could be way off :)

If you enjoyed reading about "can you put weaver stuff on picatinny?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!