Plans for building rifle benches?

PDA

Mr. Chitlin
May 2, 2005, 10:29 AM
I really don't know where to ask this...

...so here it goes in the Comp Shooting forum, since it is range related.

We have just added some 100 yard shooting bays to our range, and now we need to build some sturdy benches for the rifle shooters.

Anyone know of any online plans for a nice rifle bench, preferably made out of pressure treated wood so it will last a while? The club will pay for them, we just need an idea of where to start. They alos need to be made where they can be moved a little, not permanently mounted.

Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Plans for building rifle benches?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
May 2, 2005, 10:52 AM
Moved to Gen'l and changed title, hoping to scare up more posters for you. It's a good, general gun knowledge question. :)

pax

bogie
May 2, 2005, 02:23 PM
Ask over at www.benchrest.com - I think some of the folks have some plans...

But what I'd recommend is that you abandon the wood concept... Use a few cement blocks or round sonotube/cement forms for your legs, and make a mold for some poured concrete tops. Virtually indestructible, VERY steady, and not that much $$ to build - maybe less than wood, if you can get a deal on enough concrete.

cidirkona
May 2, 2005, 02:40 PM
You actually make plans? I kinda just start with a top, add some feet, maybe some hinges, and maybe some braces here and there... Oh... and some sugar packets to keep it from wobbling.

-Colin

Vern Humphrey
May 2, 2005, 04:39 PM
I dig 3 postholes, in a 4X6 pattern. Put in posts and let the concrete harden. Bolt 2X4s to the posts with lag screws, leveling the 2X4s, and cut the posts with a chain saw. Spike down 2X12s to form the surface. The first 2X12s are 4 feet wide, the rest are less wide -- you can made a lefty-righty bench this way, or simply a right-handed one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Plans for building rifle benches?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!