Applied for CCW today

PDA

fletcher
May 2, 2005, 01:42 PM
And it was definitely hassle-free. Just walked in, filled out a couple forms, had my fingerprints taken (I got there at 11:25, and the fingerprint place closes from 11:30-1:30, they were nice enough to fit me and another person in), and I was set. Took about 20 minutes and $80 to get my CCW application in and apply for 2 pistol purchase permits.

They said the turnaround is about 5-6 weeks for CCW at the moment though :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Applied for CCW today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
heypete
May 2, 2005, 01:54 PM
I have two CCWs -- one in Washington State and one in New Hampshire. The former is a resident permit, as I got it when I was stationed there with the army.

$60, one LiveScan (my fingerprints are already on file with the FBI due to my army service, and my DNA is on some army database), and about 12 days later the card arrived in the mail. Very awesome. The day I got the permit, I had the ultimate American Male Day: I went out to the gun shop, bought a Glock 26 (no waiting period with CCW), some Speer Gold Dots in 9mm, a bunch of .22LR for my 10/22, and a holster. I loaded and holstered the pistol in the shop, concealed it under my shirt, and then went out to Hooters for lunch. Nothing quite like sitting in Hooters packing heat (and NEW heat!).

New Hampshire was even easier -- send a copy of your current CCW and $20, and they'll mail you a non-resident permit back in a week or two. I was highly impressed.

Welcome to the club. :)

...of course, after I was discharged honorably I came back home to California where none of the permits are valid. :banghead: I need to move to a free state somewhere.

TarpleyG
May 2, 2005, 03:32 PM
went out to Hooters for lunch. Nothing quite like sitting in Hooters packing heat
Can't do that in a Hooter's in NC. They serve ALCOHOL. Oh no, ALCOHOL. God forbid a gun should be anywhere near someone else consuming a freakin' beer.

My wife is adamant about moving to NC in a couple of years and this is one of my single points of contention. She thinks I am nuts. On the surface, NC's carry laws look good but when you get down to the nuts of it, it is just something to placate the people who carry. You pretty much can't carry anywhere but your car and home anyway.

I suppose one could always open carry but from what I understand, you'll get at least a night in the Graybar Hotel doing that anywhere near Raleigh.

Greg

Lennyjoe
May 2, 2005, 04:32 PM
apply for 2 pistol purchase permits.
Sucks to have to get a permit to purchase pistols doesnt it?

In the great state of Arizona, you just walk in, fill out the form and pay for the goods. No need for the permit to purchase firearms.

Congrats on your application for the CCW permit. You are taking on a great responsibility.

Did you have to go thru any training in NC before applying?

heypete qoute;

I loaded and holstered the pistol in the shop, concealed it under my shirt, and then went out to Hooters for lunch. Nothing quite like sitting in Hooters packing heat (and NEW heat!).

Nothing like staking your life on a pistol that you dont know is 100% reliable is it? :scrutiny:

heypete
May 2, 2005, 05:33 PM
Nothing like staking your life on a pistol that you dont know is 100% reliable is it?

I have a Glock 19 at home that I've shot multiple thousands of rounds through. I shot a hundred rounds through the G26 that day, so I knew it worked reliably enough (and it hasn't had any problems at all since then, even with several hundred more rounds).

I have no doubt that my Glock will go bang when I need it to, as long as there's decent ammo in it -- heck, even the el-cheapo stuff works pretty well too, but I'm not going to trust my life to it.

IZinterrogator
May 2, 2005, 07:38 PM
Went through the Washington process a few weeks ago. Applied for a non-resident permit because my folks live up there and TX doesn't have reciprocity. Form was almost exactly like a NICS check. Got fingerprinted, paid my money, and received a permit in the mail today good for five years.

misANTHrope
May 2, 2005, 09:20 PM
:banghead:

I have got to get off my butt and get rolling on this. I've been meaning to make things happen to get my permit rolling for about two months now. Hell, I've got a carry gun, got a Tucker IWB, but I've gotta take the class and apply. Hopefully, once NCSU exams are done (for me) next week, I can get it done. In fact, I'm gonna call Deep River tomorrow and get into a class.

And FYI, there is a training requirement for NC CCW. Classroom training covering the laws regarding use of deadly force, handgun safety, and some live raneg qualififcation. Obviously I don't know exactly how it goes, since I ain't taken it yet- wanna chime in, fletcher? Also, different places run the classes differently- some will roll in more technique training than the law requires.

Anyway, let us know when the permit arrives. I'd like to know about how long I'll wait for mine.

Standing Wolf
May 2, 2005, 09:21 PM
Good for you! It's too bad you have to pay and qualify for the purported "privilege" of keeping and bearing arms, but many people in the United States can't even do that.

Stevie-Ray
May 2, 2005, 09:28 PM
I don't think I'll be without anymore, if it's up to me. Had to renew mine this year; now I'm set for 5 more years. :D

Zach S
May 2, 2005, 10:07 PM
The hardest part about getting the NC CCW is staying awake during the video we had to watch in the class. If you joke about the really bad acting it seems to help. Of course it may have just been me, IIRC the class I took started at 9:00 am, that's when I normally go to bed since I work third shift.

OBXMIKE
May 2, 2005, 11:57 PM
AMEN on the boring videos!!
I guess the cwp rigamarole is different from county to county here in N.C.
Standard protocol around here is:

1) Class...and B O R I N G videos....with that monotone guy in the bow-tie
2) certification from the county mental health center that you haven't been a frequent patron :scrutiny:
3) certification from your doctor......still can't quite figure this one out...
4) the finger print, palm print, up to the elbows print....
5) fill out @ 5 pages of hooey... :banghead:
6) pay the $$$$ :fire:
7) wait for the phone call to tell you what form they forgot to have you sign :cuss:
8) wait AT LEAST two months (or more) :(
and if all goes well you get your permit. :rolleyes:

fletcher
May 3, 2005, 09:28 AM
Sucks to have to get a permit to purchase pistols doesnt it?

Fortunately, a law was passed here last year that allows CCW license holders to bypass all that garbage.

Did you have to go thru any training in NC before applying?

Yes. My class was 12 hours I believe, and there was a 40-round qualification at 3, 5, and 7 yards, hitting a ~16-18" diameter circle. Takes a sharpshooter for that ;)

bpisler
May 3, 2005, 09:39 AM
heypete
I bought a NIB glock 26,some various
types of ammo and headed to the range.
I was hoping to enjoy some of this
"glock perfection" i had heard so
much about.So i load up and start to
put rounds down range,bang,bang,FTE,
bang,bang,FTE etc,etc.New gun blues i
thought,started on the second box.I
had the same problems,now it gets very
interesting.I break it down and start
to take a look,extractor looks fine,
i take a look at the ejector and it's
not there.It hasn't broken off,it's
just not there but the space for it
is.I returned it to the shop,they
took it to a local glock armorer and
when i got it back it was great.I
never had another problem with it.
Moral of the story,don't trust your
life on a gun that hasn't been tested.

Zach S
May 3, 2005, 09:40 AM
Fortunately, a law was passed here last year that allows CCW license holders to bypass all that garbage. yeah, it went through within a week of me buying a pistol permit. The problem isn't the five bucks I could have saved, but a trip to downtown Asheville is never fun.

Yes. My class was 12 hours I believe, and there was a 40-round qualification at 3, 5, and 7 yards, hitting a ~16-18" diameter circle. Takes a sharpshooter for that
I tell the folks that are nervous about the shooting test not to worry of they can consistantly hit a pie plate at 5 yards. Some think I'm just trying make it sound easy so they arent nervous.

fletcher
May 25, 2005, 04:04 PM
Picked up the permit today. They told me 6 weeks, and it ended up being 3. How can the government get something done before the estimated time?? :neener:

I'll "break it in" after work this evening :D

rms/pa
May 25, 2005, 06:05 PM
still gotta love PA's permit

$22.50 for a gov issue photo id.
no training requirement. (ie no $$$$ for a course)
no wierd banned/plain view in car/ do not carry rules.
PSP instacheck
no waiting periods/permits/safety inspections to buy
good for 5 years.

rms/pa

Fred Fuller
May 25, 2005, 10:28 PM
fletch,

How much did you pay for the class?
How much for the fingerprints?
Did you have to pay to get any of your documents notarized, or to get a background check run?

Reason I ask is, if you add everything up that goes into the process, it comes to more than 'just' $80 for the permit. The process differs in some details from county to county, YMMV.

lpl/nc
(...sitting here looking at a file containing the necessary Certificate of Completion of the safety class ($75 in my case, frequently up to $250 for this class locally), a printed and notarized background check from the Clerk of Court's office ($10), three notarized documents in the application package (notarized free at my bank), and a certified check for $90 (fingerprints and the permit fee) made out to my county sheriff's office. That brings it to $175 total in my case, plus the cost of all the running around. And I called for an appointment to turn the completed application packet in today (NO WALK-INS ACCEPTED, the application says), to be told that the only staffer at my SO who handles concealed carry permit applications is on vacation until the first of next month, and no one else in the operation can handle the packet. With just over 600 applications received in my county from 1995 to halfway through 2003 according to stats form the SBI, it is obviously such a huge drain on SO resources to process these things, it's a wonder they can get them done at all... . Glad you had a good experience with your application... Hope mine gets back that soon!

obxmike,
That was a mental health records check you signed the medical release for...)

Godfather
May 25, 2005, 10:48 PM
In about seven months, I'll be able to walk into the PD, fill out a form, lay down $10 and get my CCW guaranteed in my state constitution within 14 days. I already have my pistol, too. And some cigars picked out.

Gotta love New Hampshire!

Till then, I have to go to Vermont if I wanna pack heat.

fletcher
May 26, 2005, 08:19 AM
How much did you pay for the class?
How much for the fingerprints?
Did you have to pay to get any of your documents notarized, or to get a background check run?

Class was $90 I believe. Fingerprints were $10, permit application was $70. The CCW course training certificate was notarized, so any cost involved there was included in the class price. Background check is part of the $70 permit "application".

Sounds like the process was no fun in your county - hope you get yours back soon.

38SnubFan
May 27, 2005, 04:11 AM
still gotta love PA's permit +1 for that! :cool: ;)

I guess it varies county-to-county. Here in York County it only cost me $19. I guess some counties charge extra for your photo.

Walked into the York County Courthouse, through the metal detector, to the Sheriff's Office, filled out the form, showed two forms of ID, paid my $19.

They told me if I don't get a rejection letter within two weeks of my application, to come back on the 3rd week and my permit will be issued.

Walked in the 3rd week, got my photo taken, and my permit issued. They even double-laminated it to make sure it stayed durable and neat for the next 5 years! :D :neener:

Next day, went to the gun shop, where my co-worker settled my purchase of his slightly-used .38 snubbie. Bought my ammo there as well. Took all of 15 minutes to run the Insta-Check and walk out the proud new owner of my first CCW handgun!

So again, welcome to "The Club," even though your state's procedures and regulations are a little more complicated. I hope it still seems worth it.

Took me a while to get used to, but a year later, I never leave the house unarmed - EVER! Like many of us here who CCW, it's just a normal everyday thing along with eating breakfast, taking a shower/shave/toothbrush, and getting dressed.

Now, if PA could only clear up the "gray area" in Crimes Code regarding Open Carry. (IIRC, it's strictly prohibited in Philadephia unless you're an on-duty, uniformed LEO.) ;) :p :banghead:

-38SnubFan

rms/pa
May 27, 2005, 08:19 AM
thx for the 1+

that grey area ain't grey, the law is clear
open carry in PHILA requires a permit.

the enforcement is the real bummer. arrrgh

rms/pa

MikeIsaj
May 27, 2005, 08:55 AM
Now, if PA could only clear up the "gray area" in Crimes Code regarding Open Carry. (IIRC, it's strictly prohibited in Philadephia unless you're an on-duty,

ss6107 of the consolidated code prohibits the carrying of any type of firearm upon the public streets of a first class city unless you are licensed to carry a firearm.

There is no gray area, it's plainly stated, you must have a carry permit to carry ANY firearm, concealed or open in any first class city. Now does that mean you don't need a permit to open carry anywhere else?

foghornl
May 27, 2005, 09:02 AM
ANY firearm, concealed or open in any first class city

That sheep-dip law makes you a "citizen, second-class" in a supposedly "first class city", doesn't it? ? ?

Oh, I almost forgot the course of this thread...Congrats, Fletcher, on applying for your CCW license.

38SnubFan
May 28, 2005, 01:29 AM
Now does that mean you don't need a permit to open carry anywhere else? As far as I know, well, I don't know. That's another "gray area" to me.

The PA Crimes Code states that one needs a permit "to carry a firearm concealed upon one's person or in a vehicle". Doesn't mention about carrying it openly upon your person - anywhere. Thus, why I say another "gray area".

If anyone here DOES know the final word regarding Open Carry in PA, let me know. I'd really love to be able to conclude that mystery. So far, I've had one LEO tell me that carrying the gun concealed is a condition of a PA License To Carry.

-38SnubFan

MikeIsaj
May 28, 2005, 11:26 AM
38snubfan;

I asked that question because it is always good fodder for personal opinion becoming law.

I've had LEO tell me the same thing. The conclusion of several people I've discussed this with, a few lawyers, 2 ADA's, a DA, and a Police Academy instructor, is that "it doesn't appear to be prohibited." Here's the logic. Pennsylvania has prohibiting law, meaning the law prohibits behavior, as opposed to allowing behavior. This is the root reason laws are so hard to read. The assumption can be made that since it isn't prohibited by law, it is legal and I've yet to find or be shown something that says open carry is prohibited in Pa.

When confronted with the lack of a prohibition I've had LEO argue that it is disorderly conduct. Disordery conduct requires an intent that would require a specific type of carry such as in your hand waving it about. A holstered open carried weapon is no more disorderly than wearing an ugly shirt.

Finally, a Pa. Carry permit allows concealed carry. It does not require concealed carry.

38SnubFan
May 28, 2005, 06:10 PM
When confronted with the lack of a prohibition I've had LEO argue that it is disorderly conduct. Disordery conduct requires an intent that would require a specific type of carry such as in your hand waving it about. A holstered open carried weapon is no more disorderly than wearing an ugly shirt. Man, it just might come close, although it would be my belief that it wouldn't.

Per the PA Crimes Code, Title 18 5503 (a):

A person is guilty of Disorderly Conduct if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, he:

1. engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior;
2. makes unreasonable noise;
3. uses obscene language, or makes an obscene gesture; or
4. creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.

Therefore, a holstered handgun is not threatening, violent, or tumultuous; nor does it create a hazardous or physically offensive condition unless it would be in one's hand.

However, could it be considered an "obscene gesture"? I guess a judge would have to decide. I, at least for now, am not going to test that theory. The only time I've openly carried my gun is MAYBE taking my trash across the parking lot to the dumpser - at night, when nobody can really see me anyways.

-38SnubFan

If you enjoyed reading about "Applied for CCW today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!