(New?) War Movies

PDA

Dannyboy
March 15, 2003, 10:10 PM
I know that war movies have been done often enough here but this is kind of different. I was thinking that Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers have reinvented war movies with the way they were filmed. I'm curious as to what battles people would like to see movies made about or what movies would they like to see remade. For a while I thought that The Longest Day would be good for a remake but I guess it would be too similar to Saving Private Ryan . I'd like to see something from the Italian Theatre during WWII.

If you enjoyed reading about "(New?) War Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yayarx7
March 15, 2003, 10:19 PM
Tora, Tora, Tora could be remade, but I do not know if it could get much better. I was hoping that junk they called Pearl Harbor would do it but its only redeeming value was the story line around Cuba Gooding Jr.

How about a modern movie along the lines of Wind Talkers but made well. None of this takiong out the whole emperial army with a Thompson or a Carbine.

stellarpod
March 15, 2003, 11:26 PM
Well, The Big Red One isn't too bad and it's set, for the most part, in Sicily and Italy (other than all the Sherman tanks that were dressed up to be German tanks - puleeze! :rolleyes: ) . I believe it came out in 1980.

In fact, I watched it again tonight on the History Channel.

:)

stellarpod

Admiral Thrawn
March 15, 2003, 11:29 PM
What about "Black Hawk Down" and "We Were Soldiers"?

Dave Markowitz
March 15, 2003, 11:46 PM
How about something about WWI? I saw most of "The Lost Battallion" last year on A&E and thought it was quite well done.

cool45auto
March 15, 2003, 11:53 PM
"Kelly's Heroes" would be good.

Rembrandt
March 16, 2003, 12:01 AM
With the advanced special effects techniques available today...I'd like to see some of the WWII air combat scenes recreated....especially some of the dogfights between prop fighters and the German ME262's.

Maybe a biographical movie about some of the great aces of WWII....like Richard Bong, McGuire, Gabreski, or some of the Congressional Medal of Honor recipients personal stories.

Stevie-Ray
March 16, 2003, 12:12 AM
What about "Black Hawk Down" and "We Were Soldiers"? Good point, excellant movies, both.

I'd like to see a full length movie on Gregory Boyington and the Black Sheep. It might be tough to do anything on Bong or McGuire due to the shortage of flyable P-38s still out there.

Mizzoutiger
March 16, 2003, 12:27 AM
the Korean War hasn't had jacksquat coverage in movies. There are plenty of battles that could be portrayed... Chosin Resevoir would be my choice.

Dannyboy
March 16, 2003, 10:02 AM
What about "Black Hawk Down" and "We Were Soldiers"?

I had just finished watching one of the "Band of Brothers" discs and it was fresh in my mind. I totally forgot about those two. Those were gret movies though.

Mizzoutiger, you're right about the Korean War and the Chosin Reservoir would make a great movie. Or maybe the Inchon landing. While "Pork Chop Hill" was OK it left a lot to be desired.

beckrodgers
March 16, 2003, 12:02 PM
Korean war movies 3 come to mind Pork Chop Hill w/Gregory Peck,Men at WAR w/Robert Ryan [no relation to pvt ryan],The Manchurian Candidate w/Frank Sinatra altho its a lot of political intrigue,drama,oh and The Bridges at Toko Ri w/ sorry went blank he won an oscar for Stalag 17 any way ,Thanks

oh oh William Holden & Mickey Rooney in Toko Ri

Med 10
March 16, 2003, 12:14 PM
I've yet to see anything from the Eastern front in WW2. I think it would be great to see modern technology bring the battle of Kursk to life! I thought that enemy at the gates would show a litle more than it did. Excellent depiction of WW2 Soviet gear and equipment though.

Anyone know of any battle movies from the Eastern front?

telewinz
March 16, 2003, 12:25 PM
I am still waiting for someone the make the Tom Clancy book into a movie "Red Storm Rising". Read the book several times, it's awesome.

Also why not a 2 part German WW2 movie based on the 1939-42 and Part 2, 1943-45 from an objective point of view but as seen through the eyes of a German Soldier.

Still waiting for an all star cast for the movie "The Persian Gulf War", whats the delay?

Rembrandt
March 16, 2003, 12:34 PM
There were a number of movies that tied into the Korean War movie time frame...."The McConnell Story", "Mash", "Mac Arthur", "Jet Pilot",

hops
March 16, 2003, 12:51 PM
Eastern Front - Stalingrad - the German version. Based on a book I believe. I have a copy here - PAL format.

I also have the German war movies:

Der Stern von Afrika (The Star of Afrika - German with english subtitles) - The loose story of Hans-Joachim Marseille - 158 air victories (also had 17 in a single day) all on the Western Front.

U-47 - German language: The story of Kptlt. Guenther Prien and his U-47, his successful and daring attack against Scapa Flow.
German war movies, the few the few there are, are all anti-war.

Dannyboy
March 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
I think "Red Storm Rising" is Clancy's best book but I don't think you could make a decent movie out of it. There's just way too much happening at the same time in that book. You would have to cut too much out of it.

jsalcedo
March 16, 2003, 09:00 PM
Das boot was good. I'm not sure if it needs a remake.

Dirty dozen and guns of navarone are classics in their own right.

Hollywood would probably mess up any modern versions.

Stevie-Ray
March 16, 2003, 09:23 PM
There were a number of movies that tied into the Korean War movie time frame...."The McConnell Story", "Mash", "Mac Arthur", "Jet Pilot", There was also "Inchon."

Braz
March 16, 2003, 09:34 PM
The Bridges at Toko-ri, as well.

There are several scripts working about the Flying Tigers. If they keep Brockhimer away from them, one might be special. ;) With modern advances in special effects, a serious air battle film sans contrived romances could be spectacular.

Rembrandt
March 16, 2003, 10:20 PM
I've sat through a couple of flight movies in some I-MAX theaters that would make your stomach feel queezy it was so realistic...sure wish someone could duplicate that in dog fight scene.

One pilot that had a facinating story was Adolph Galand...one of Germany's top aces who survived and later went on to develop Argentina's Air Force. He was to Germany what Chuck Yeager and Jimmy Doolitle were to the US.....an Ace and test pilot.

roscoe
March 16, 2003, 11:10 PM
"Come and See" is a Russian-made film about the eastern front. It was made in 1985 and is supposed to be one amazing, although at times tough to watch, film. I have reserved a copy at Netflix, and it arrives soon.

jsalcedo
March 16, 2003, 11:25 PM
The Beast of war is an awesome film about a deranged tank commander and his crew in 1980's Afganistan.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0094716

TheLastBoyScout
March 16, 2003, 11:40 PM
I'd like to see a movie of the ground campaign of Desert Storm I

Mizzoutiger
March 16, 2003, 11:51 PM
Ah, I'll have to check out some of these Korean War movies you guys have mentioned. I haven't heard of most of them. Except for Porkchop Hill and MASH ofcourse. I'm only 21, give me a break :rolleyes:.

The eastern front.... Enemy at the Gates. Sniper movie taking place at Stalingrad. Ok flick. Kinda glad I didn't waste the money taking the girl to see it in theatres though.

As far as Desert Storm goes... the only movie I can think of has been Three Kings. That P.O.S George Clooney...:cuss: well it wasn't even really a war movie. So it doesn't count.

How about some ubertactical special ops movies? I can't wait to see some movies about Green Berets and Delta in Afghanistan.

priv8ter
March 17, 2003, 12:00 AM
I for one, would like to go on record as saying that if 'Red Storm Rising' were made into a movie, I would refuse to see it. There is no way a 2-3 hour movie could do that book any kind of justice.

I myself would like to see some kind of Wooden Ships-Iron Men movie...maybe something about Trafalger? Or stretch it to the Monitor vs The Virginia?

TechBrute
March 17, 2003, 12:16 AM
I loved "We were soldiers." It has to be the best Vietnam movie made, especially since I didn't have to sit through 2 hours of Hollywood anti-war propaganda as with previous Vietnam movies.

Med 10
March 17, 2003, 12:31 AM
Rembrantd. Yuore are right about Adolph Galand. But not only was he a test pilot and an ace, but also a gentleman and man of honor who drew a tremendous amount of respect from combatants on all sides of the war.

telewinz, red storm rising is one of my faves as well and they could not do it justice in 2-3 hrs.

Dannyboy
March 17, 2003, 05:00 AM
What about "Red Storm Rising" done like "Band of Brothers?" You could probably make a decent series out of it.

seeker_two
March 17, 2003, 06:14 AM
I'd like to see movies on battles that HAVEN'T been documented before at all or done little. Here's my list...

Spanish-American War (something bigger than "Rough Riders")
Mexican-American War
Phillipine Incursion
War against the Barbary Pirates (remember the Marine hymn "...to the Shores of Tripoli..."?)
WWII in China
Russo-Japanese War

I'd love to see stories from these conflicts...

Cosmoline
March 17, 2003, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see a movie (though not by Michael Bay) about the invasion of Attu Island and its recapture shortly after Midway. Though little known to most Americans, the Aleutians campaign was the first test of the US military's ability to recapture islands, and to launch an amphibious assault in general. Attu was absolute hell, with terrible fighting that only ended when the remaining Japanese killed themselves en masse with closely held grenades. The Aleutian weather was unspeakable, with a combination of ice, wind, mud, rain and silty dust. The US lost a quarter of its troops on the assault. Moreover, at the time of the invasion in the buildup to Midway, there were very few regular troops in Alaska. Dutch Harbor was bombed, and there was really nothing stopping the Japanese from continuing up to Kodiak or Anchorage had that been their plan. Ad hoc unorganized militia forces guarded the streets with hunting rifles.

Here are more details:

http://www.coretek.org/gsmith/attu.html

Detritus
March 17, 2003, 03:42 PM
i too would like to see a movie done on the Attu recapture.

my grandfather was a member of the 7th Div. so it interests me on that level as well.... and as a result of having heard my grandfather's account of the lead up to the landing (he never spoke much of actual battle) i have to say that for at least part of the 7th. the "issue of cold weather clothing" mentioned in that article was either only partial or in a few cases non existent! many of those men went into the landing craft still wearing the lighter weight Desert uniforms adn boots!! afterwards there was a more concerted effort to get ALL the men properly equipped, esp after all the frostbite causualties. but it was still way late in coming

my grandfather was one of the lucky ones, he survived Attu, without frostbite (or at least none that put him out of action), and went on to serve in sicily, Italy, (possibly N. Africa, but inthe years since his death my memory has blurred, and if so he didn't talk about it much), and then the Philipine campaign, till wounded at Leyte.

MrKandiyohi
March 17, 2003, 03:47 PM
I'd be interested in a movie about the air battles in Europe or in the Pacific. The Cactus Air Force on Guadalcanal with Joe Foss would be a good story. It's early in the war with the US in a very tight fight against Japan. The pilots were outnumbered every time they took to the skies.

Computer imaging would make it very doable.

Dannyboy
March 17, 2003, 04:43 PM
I read somewhere about a movie called "The Winter War" about the war in Finland during WWII. Does anyone know if this movie takes place before or after the Finns sold out the Germans? In other words, is it late war or early war? Either way, I think I need to find it.

ARGarrison
March 17, 2003, 11:51 PM
I'd like to see a movie made about British Major (Later Brigadier) Ralph Bagnold and his Long Range Desert Patrol later known as the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG). He and his Patrol (or Group depending on time), were based out of Eygpt during the early days of WWII and ran both intell and combat mission in Italian held Libya.

beckrodgers
March 18, 2003, 06:36 PM
We have lots of documentaries on ww2 including Attu,[lately we prefer them to re wrighting history] sorry we like good movies too, There is a movie w/ Charlton Heston in China maybe the boxer rebellion time frame. Thanks

Bravo11
March 18, 2003, 06:48 PM
Another Desert Storm movie would be good even if it was fiction.
I wasn't impressed with "courage under fire" or "3 kings"

another48hrs
March 18, 2003, 10:09 PM
I always wanted to see what the blitzkrieg into Poland would look like done in the Saving Private Ryan style.

If you enjoyed reading about "(New?) War Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!