cleaning

PDA

RUBZERK
May 3, 2005, 02:12 AM
How offten should you clean your gun ??

Should I claen it after each time I shoot ?

Ive had the gun 1 month & i shoot it every sunday at the range. Afterwords i dissmantle it & clean it.

Is this too much ?

If you enjoyed reading about "cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stevelyn
May 3, 2005, 02:15 AM
Sounds about right to me.

P95Carry
May 3, 2005, 02:48 AM
Opinion varies - enormously!!

IMO you can over clean guns - to their detriment. But how much is enough? haha - keep askin around!

I am a tad lax - if my bore has not accrued serious copper fouling (or lead) - it will not be scrubbed every time - in particular if ammo thruput modest.

I clean receiver crud to extent that soot and crud are removed - I want a clean feedramp on semi - as well as cleanish bolt face etc.

Revo's - cleaning out 38spl ''rings'' in a 357 - needs done periodically. Forcing cone lead if shooting cast.

Hard to say but perhaps we should say (or I would) - tell me the gun, the useage, the ammo etc etc ..... and I'll plan a cleaning regime.

Very often - leaving aside aesthetics - IMO less is more. It may seem odd - but my carry piece when cleaned - has a few rounds put thru before it goes back to carry duty - call it ''proving'' if you will - I might even have slipped up on reassembly - who knows.

If ammo used is non-corrosive then I reckon cleaning does not have to be - every time you shoot.

Oh and - on a blued weapon - I will pay as much attention to external surface protection - as any cleaning. Acidic fingerprints can play merry hell with good bluing.

heypete
May 3, 2005, 02:54 PM
RUBZERK: How offten should you clean your gun ??

Uncle Sam taught me to thoroughly clean the firearm after each range session.

If I only put a few hundred rounds through my pistols, I won't use a bore brush (or if I do, it'll be a nylon brush), but only use CLP and patches. A quick wipedown of all moving parts with a CLP-soaked patch, and another wipedown with a dry patch to remove oil and grime works very well. Then, five drops (yes, drops!) of oil are applied -- one to each of the critical parts mentioned in Glock's manual.

I shoot corrosive ammunition out of my SKS, so I thoroughly clean it with windex after shooting, then reapply a thin coat of oil to all bearing surfaces. My bolt-action Remington 700 is my "accuracy gun", so it's thoroughly and gently cleaned after each session.

My 12ga Mossberg 500 gets a boresnake through the barrel and my Ruger 10/22 might get the bolt cleaned and oiled every other session. The bore gets inspected and gets cleaning about every 3rd or 4th session or whenever it needs it.

Excessive cleaning can harm your guns, but I would rather have them too clean and know they work rather than dirty, grimy, and possibly not working when I need the most. My carry gun is always clean. You don't need to get every little granule of powder residue out of the bore -- constant scrubbing to remove it will lead to damage over the long-term. Keeping bearing surfaces (i.e. the rails on the slide of a pistol or the bolt of a rifle and the matching parts on the receiver) clean and lightly oiled is important for semi-auto firearms, as is keeping a very thin coat of rust-preventative oil on metal parts.

Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. USDA selected, FDIC insured.

SLCDave
May 3, 2005, 03:11 PM
I disassemble and inspect my carry gun every week or two to see if the lint accumulation has gotten bad. Canned air works great to liberate the lint from the nooks and crannies. Then lube as necessary. I clean it after every trip to the range.

Rupestris
May 3, 2005, 03:46 PM
The only things I don't clean after every range/hunting trip is my Marlin 60 and Rem Nylon 66. Both semi-auto .22 rifles. Everything else gets cleaned when I get home.

Lennyjoe
May 3, 2005, 03:52 PM
After every shooting session.

Once a month for guns that dont make it to the range during that time frame.

PinnedAndRecessed
May 3, 2005, 03:55 PM
I clean mine after every session. Use Hoppes #9 and wipe affected areas with a rag till surface is clean. Then use copper brush on bore maybe five or six times. Run patches through till comes out "reasonably" clean.

I say "reasonably" because the books say to repeat the process till the patches are perfectly clean. I don't think that's necessary. That would necessitate repeatedly running the copper brush through and we all know more bores are destroyed by harsh/vigorous cleaning techniques than shooting.

Then I just wipe the gun with a silicone cloth. Don't even oil the barrel. I store my guns upright on the stock. Back when I would coat the barrel with oil, the oil would run into the receiver. Sometimes it got gummy. Sometimes, with that first shot, it just got messy.

I live in the desert so I haven't needed to store them coated in oil. Maybe if I move to the Florida coast it'll be different.

MilsurpShooter
May 3, 2005, 04:08 PM
If your shooting Milsurp ammo, every single time you fire it, be it 1 round or 1,000.

P95Carry
May 3, 2005, 04:13 PM
If your shooting Milsurp ammo, every single time you fire it, be it 1 round or 1,000. Not wishing to seem pedantic! But I'd add the key word ''corrosive'' - in which case yeah - one round = cleaning. One reason with old 8mm for instance, if I am gonna get the Mauser dirty - I'll shoot 100 or 200 rounds!

Milsurp like .308 SA, Portugese, etc - non -corrosive, no probs. I forget the break point - someone can add this but IIRc - early 50's or so, much mil ammo went non-corrosive with primers.

If in doubt of course - clean anyways but the water type clean needed after corrosive is somewhat superfluous if all that has been shot is non-corrosive!

TonyB
May 3, 2005, 04:38 PM
Revolvers...after every range trip...Glock hardly ever...I use it mostly at idpa and use Winclean so it never really get too dirty....I will clean it before a big match though...then agian sometimes I'll just clean them for no reason but boredom.....

Standing Wolf
May 3, 2005, 05:18 PM
If I shoot it, I clean it. I didn't say I enjoy cleaning it. I just said I clean it.

sm
May 3, 2005, 05:53 PM
I focus on chambers, feeding, extraction, mags if applicable, and exterior.

I subscribe to Schuemann's ideas in regard to bore cleaning.

I do inspect and maintain.

I do this PROPERLY btw. Many firearms are goofed up by improper cleaning methods, and tools.

sigh...

Had a fellow wondering why his gun would not go bang. Well it seems he used Hoppe's No. 9 and that was it. He has "from time to time" wiped down the externals with No. 9 and added drops of No. 9 ....

The ammo casings were green, and the chambered round was stuck in the chamber. I noticed a really nice "nick" out of the crown..." I scrubbed that bbl but good, for two days after I shot it..."

He has never used any oil .

He is having the crown re-cut, gunsmith will do a cleaning and lube. Oh...I tried to fire his ammo in another gun...the primers were dead. This was his HD gun btw...

He "inspected " it about 8 months ago..." bought this here expensive gun because the gun magazine said it was the best..."

You don't want to know about the mag. ick. He fired one mag only of the expensive ammo the gun magazine said was best too...That is all he has shot the gun.

He WILL be attending a NRA class - soon!!

sigh....

MilsurpShooter
May 4, 2005, 05:13 PM
Yes, corrosive key word. But I've seen some of the non-corrosive surplus ammo and how dirty it can be, and well, I wouldn't be able to not clean it after lol

MaterDei
May 4, 2005, 05:26 PM
I'm like P95Carry and don't necessarily clean after every range session. On the other hand, I don't think you're cleaning your weapon too much either.

If you enjoyed reading about "cleaning" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!