Is it bad to store guns and ammo together?

PDA

RM
May 3, 2005, 05:48 AM
I have heard several times that it is unsafe to store guns and ammo together. I live with no children and never considered it a safety issue at all. But I am iterested in hearing from others: are there any legitimate reasons not to store guns and ammo in the same place? Thanks for your opinion!

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it bad to store guns and ammo together?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rotorflyr
May 3, 2005, 05:54 AM
The only reason would be small children, those who are too young to really understand the hazard, but curious enough to check out the firearm if found. (Im speaking of in a situation where you aren't around to keep an eye on your child)
As you don't have children it probably isn't an issue.

jobu07
May 3, 2005, 06:38 AM
I keep cases of ammo in the same room as my collection. It's just more convenient that way! :p

Mongo the Mutterer
May 3, 2005, 06:47 AM
Don't discount teenagers, visitors, nephews, etc.

Here is my $.02, based upon a lot of stuff, but also on the fact that my 16 year old nephew (who was gun safe and very familiar with firearms) was with friends at his home and blew the back of the head off one of his friends with a 9MM.

Look, be safe... You can buy a safe at Harbor Freight tools to keep your ammo in for $40.00. Quick access, digital keyboard.

Also, do you really want to make it that easy for a burglar to put your firearms and ammo together? What if you are arriving at home at that minute? I really don't relish getting shot, but getting shot with my own gun would POBAR me.

Spot77
May 3, 2005, 07:40 AM
Isn't it dangerous NOT to have them together?

In your situation I can't see why you'd be concerned.

I do have children, but my ammo and handguns are stored together in a locked, fireproof safe in a locked and inaccesable basement. There's only one way in and I'm the only one with a key.

I think the "ammo must be separate from the gun" thing is a bunch of propaganda put out by the Brady Bunch, and sometimes easily bought into by the rest of us.

As responsible gun owners, we can each make our own decisions on storage based upon our individual situations and beliefs.

Mannlicher
May 3, 2005, 07:44 AM
RM,
There is nothing wrong about storing your ammo seperate from your guns. In fact, doing so totally negates the value of your gun for defense. There is SO much silliness and incorrect BS floating around on the internet about guns.........

trickyasafox
May 3, 2005, 08:13 AM
sorry to hear that mongo.

we store guns with ammo by me, but locked in the safe. if you dont know the combo (which no one besides myself *20* my brother *24* and my parents know. there is always a risk when storing firearms of a tragedy, its just a question of how likely you think your situation is to that risk

Mongo the Mutterer
May 3, 2005, 08:35 AM
Clarification, I guess. If you have a gun safe, I can't see any problem storing guns and ammo together.

I'm in a situation where guns are stored separately, in locked containers, and I feel better when the ammo is in the safe.

My personal protection piece is always with me, loaded, or secured close to me.

MikeIsaj
May 3, 2005, 09:24 AM
Weapons are locked in the safe. Ammo is also locked in the safe for the most part. Sometimes I have some in the range bag. I figure if the guns are locked up the ammo is useless without the gun.

1911JMB
May 3, 2005, 09:31 AM
I store my remington 870 loaded with 3 shells next to the door to my bedroom, so that an intruder would be less likely to see it, and if I need it I can grab it fast.

TallPine
May 3, 2005, 09:47 AM
You should store your guns and ammo separately, preferably on different planets.

You should also drain all the gas out of your car when you're not using it. :p

:D

dasmi
May 3, 2005, 10:16 AM
If it's "bad" then I'm going to hell I think, cause my gun has that evil ammo stuff jammed deep inside all six cylinders, with the box sitting next to the scary, killer, loaded death-cannon.

gigmike
May 3, 2005, 10:47 AM
If you reload keep the primers away from the powder and other ammunition. I have a safe and keep my guns and ammo in it. However, the primers are stored in ammo cans seperate from any other combustibles.

akviper
May 3, 2005, 11:55 AM
I agree with Mongo the Mutterer. Carry guns loaded and close at hand, everything else secured in the safe or in secured lockers. Nothing gets left out at my house for wandering kids or burglars. Keep your key or combo to yourself, a local guy cleverly hid his gun locker key on the shelf above the gunlocker in his closet. Bad things happened when his wayward son got into the gunlocker.

Dave P
May 3, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, you must always seperate the guns from the ammo. If you don't they may can mate, and produce offspring like "Baby Glocks" or "Baby Eagles" - and you would not want that on your conscience, now would you?

Nitram68
May 3, 2005, 12:10 PM
It's all about the kids. Before I had kids I kept many of my pistols loaded and accessable. Rifles had mags. loaded but not in well. Now that I have kids I've bought a safe and keep both the ammo and arms there. Only I have a key and know the combo (keylock dial).

Mornard
May 3, 2005, 01:21 PM
With no kids in the house - that changes everything. It's unsafe to not have the ammo by the guns. Slows loading time down too much...

Zundfolge
May 3, 2005, 01:38 PM
Half my guns are stored LOCKED AND LOADED ... 'cause if I need one, I'll need it NOW and it darn well better be charged and loaded or I'm dead.

Yeah, I'm a bad person...whatever :rolleyes:

caveat: I have no children, and when children do visit (although none ever have) I'll unload the loaded ones (except for my CCW piece...but I 24/7 carry).

heypete
May 3, 2005, 01:40 PM
gigmike: However, the primers are stored in ammo cans seperate from any other combustibles.

Er, is that wise? :eek: According to all the primer manufacturers documentation, primers should not be kept in any sort of sealed container like an ammo can. They should be kept in their original factory containers inside of a cabinet that cannot contain the pressure if they detonate.

I keep mine on steel wire shelves in the garage. The steel won't burn, and since it's an open shelf there's no problem with pressure build-up. The powder is stored on like shelves across the garage. Numerous battery-powered smoke detectors and a central-alarm heat detector are installed in the garage.

Keeping powder and primers inside sealed metal containers is an explosion risk.

zahc
May 3, 2005, 01:43 PM
guns and ammo go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Rockrivr1
May 3, 2005, 01:50 PM
I also keep my ammo and guns together in the basement. I do have the guns locked up in a safe, but the ammo is on storage shelves right next to the safe. I figure there isn't to much they can do with just the ammo, so I don't find anything wrong with this setup. I'm saving up for a bigger safe so I can get more guns. ;) I figure I'll use the old safe to store the ammo.

bamawrx
May 3, 2005, 02:03 PM
I store my .45 ammo in the gun on my hip, and a Kahr PM9 in pocket for backup. (My VM2 is getting more comfortable each day) I think that if you have trouble it may happen too fast to load a gun or find one. You have no children so I say lock and load. I have a baby on the way and will be evaluating a few things to keep the house safe soon. The balance I try to strike is between protection from theft and self protection. Right now I keep all loaded unlocked guns on my person or wifes, and all others are locked in safe. I do sometimes keep loaded shotguns or rifles out for home defense, which may have to change soon. House was a virtual armory during hurricane ivan.

TC66
May 3, 2005, 02:10 PM
My carry gun stays loaded either on me or in a bedside safe that I can open by placing my hand on top or it and pressing 4 buttons in the correct order. Other than that I keep the guns in a fireproof safe and the ammo in metal locking cabinets

Flyboy
May 3, 2005, 02:54 PM
In order of preference, I keep my ammo:

In the chamber
In the magazine
In the ammo box, so I can find it later
Laying on the kitchen table

Bachelorhood has its benefits.

MilsurpShooter
May 3, 2005, 03:13 PM
3 or 4 stripper clips of ammo in a small box I have by my bedside, rifle on other side of the room (my bedroom is small, 5 feet wide by 16 or 18 feet)

however, in between the rifle and ammo are various other non-firearm weapons that are easily accessible.

Never forget the day I thought someone was breaking in, met with the pointy end of my M48's Bayonet... Turned out to be one of my stupid, drunk, friends who wanted to crash at my place because he was too scared to go home. He has knocked or called any time he has wanted to come over since then lol

Polishrifleman
May 3, 2005, 04:19 PM
This is a two part question.

Keep your weapon and ammo close for protection is the general consensus which I agree with. You should have a thought out plan on how you are going to react to a home invasion or your wife going did you hear that? :D Is getting a weapon first on that list? What is second maybe checking on the family? You are probably going to want to be quiet to assertain the potential threat? Is it your teenager sneaking in/out etc...? This will all affect where and how you store and keep your personal protection weapon and the avenues available to you. I personally want to get everyone in my family secure and in a known location before I am in control of a loaded weapon and have my senses on overload. :what:

The main reason for replying to the post is to tell everyone reading to keep ammo away from the safe/RSC with your guns. It isn't necessary, it isn't going to help in an immediate situation and it can be just as dangerous and costly if you leave it open while cleaning etc.. or your kids find the combo written down in your drawer or wherever it is still all at one access point.

Plus, storing ammo within your major weapon storage area isn't the best idea because the auto ignition temperature of the smokeless powder in your ammo is about 350 degrees :fire: which is typically lower than the burn temp of the safe/RSC generally so even though your firearms are protected from the blaze outside you might be surprised to find your own combustion inside has destroyed everything. Yes time and intensity will all play a roll in creating a 350 degree oven inside your safe but why chance it.

Andrew Rothman
May 3, 2005, 05:55 PM
I personally want to get everyone in my family secure and in a known location before I am in control of a loaded weapon and have my senses on overload.
Could be too late. Go to your daughter's room, find the rapist bending over her with a knife, walk back to your bedroom and unlock the safe? Insane.
The main reason for replying to the post is to tell everyone reading to keep ammo away from the safe/RSC with your guns. It isn't necessary,
Can you in any way support this assertion?
it isn't going to help in an immediate situation
Can you in any way support this assertion?

Are you sure your name isn't "Brady"? :D

Polishrifleman
May 3, 2005, 07:02 PM
Wow, I will keep my daughter close by. :D

RM's question was why or why not to store ammo and guns together. He isn't relating it to a personal protection issue, or a kid issue he just wanted some general info. Guys into reloading have added some great points on primers etc., black powder guys probably have something to say too, other guys have addressed the PP issue from almost stabbing a drunk buddy to a quick safe by the bed. People that care enough to comment and make constructive suggestions are what make these posts worth looking at.

As far as the ammo in the oven theory, test it out and remember top shelf for broiling. :D

Ben Shepherd
May 3, 2005, 07:26 PM
EDIT: nevermind.

Brian Dale
May 3, 2005, 08:07 PM
History note: before the Brady Bunch, before the Net, it was gun owners who recommended storing guns and ammo separately. That was before most people used gun safes. Almost all kids old enough to comprehend were kept from messing with them by a simple "Don't touch these unless we're here and give permission." Of course, that was backed up by a youngster's knowledge of what dad's belt felt like against one's backside.

In the modern world: the posters above have already covered it.

Blue Jays
May 3, 2005, 08:11 PM
Hi All-

If some folks are inclined to keep frames, slides, cylinders, barrels, and ammunition in stored in separate parts of the house under lock & key...why bother owning firearms? At that point you might as well have a good collection of rocks, paperweights, and ashtrays throughout the house that can simply be thrown at intruders.

Don't fall victim to the mainstream media and their endless yammering about loaded firearms. If you've got kids who could get themselves in trouble, put extra guns in a safe except for the LOADED sidearm on your hip.

~ Blue Jays ~

FPrice
May 3, 2005, 08:45 PM
Most of my firearms are stored in safes, unloaded, many with trigger locks, and with no ammo in the safe. These are the firearms I do not plan on using in the near future. The reasons I store them as such is to make some of my valuable possessions more secure from theft or mis-use. Even though this is the law here, I do not do it because it is the law, I do it because I do not want to lose these firearms and this is one of the ways I protect them.

Other firearms and ammo is stored differently and how they are stored is none of your business. Or anyone else's as long as I do not commit any overt or covert "mala in se" criminal acts.

Gordon Fink
May 4, 2005, 12:41 PM
Since getting my C&R FFL, my safe is suddenly under a lot more pressure. I think the bulk of my ammunition supply will have to move to a shelf in my office for the time being.

Firearms serving immediate defensive duty are naturally loaded and secured elsewhere.

~G. Fink

sm
May 4, 2005, 01:37 PM
I subscribe to the "Guns are loaded, round chambered, on my person all the time" camp personally.

Guns off-site are not loaded. Guns on site are ALL loaded. I like simple.

MechAg94
May 4, 2005, 03:13 PM
I bought a safe mainly because of the theft issue. I was out of town during the week alot when I bought it and the value of the guns I owned became much more than the cost of a safe.

I put the ammo in the safe also so that the Fire Department will put the fire out if necessary and not retreat to a safe distance. Ideally, I plan to get a second small, cheap safe to put ammo in, but until then, it is all together except for one or two self defense guns outside the safe. I will still keep loaded mags and such in the safe more than likely.

When I was a kid, both my brother and I knew exactly where my Dad's guns were as well as his one or two loaded pistols he kept handy. One or two times we even risked punishment to go look at them. However, my Dad taught us about shooting when we were very little and we knew what made the gun go bang and which end the bullet came out of. We knew it was not a toy. I remember firing a .357 Mag Revolver when I was too little to hold it up. My Dad held it and I pulled the trigger. That was a good way to impress upon a kid the power of that gun. Also, seeing the holes in 2X4's from bullets did the trick as well.

Hell, my Dad would not let us point toy guns at each other when we were kids. He insisted on it. Told us to imagine enemies to shoot at. Not even imaginary stick guns.

pezo
May 4, 2005, 05:53 PM
I say handload your own ammo on demand if needed. That way you can size up the badguy first than handload ammo as needed for take down, then load your weapon. :neener:

May 4, 2005, 10:07 PM
You should be storing your guns in a safe.
If you have enough room in the safe for ammo, you don't have enough guns.
If you can store all your ammo in a safe, you don't have enough ammo.
Out of my many guns, only a few are owned for defenisve puposes. They are kept loaded. All but one of them is in the safe.

"the Fire Department will put the fire out if necessary and not retreat to a safe distance. "
:what: WHAT ?

MountainPeak
May 4, 2005, 10:51 PM
NO it's NOT. It is bad to be irresponsible. If you have doubts about others having access, and misusing your firearms/ammo. Maybe you need to take another look at YOUR involvement with "their" safety training. If you are worried about a criminal misusing, maybe you are just a wimp, living in fear. Just one man's opinion.

MechAg94
May 5, 2005, 10:24 AM
Good Point 444. :) I have one of those 6' x 4' x 3' safes so there is a lot of room. I am working on it though. I am probably short on ammo more than guns. I have a number of pistols but they are easy to store. It has one of those velcro holster sets on the inside of the door that helps a lot.

Bought a Kahr P9 last week, and a CMP Remington 1903A3 was shipped to me this week. Gonna put a dent in my ammo though. :)

I have heard that ammo exploding in a fire is not as dangerous as many think, but I think most firemen avoid it. At least one or two I have heard mention it.

MTMilitiaman
May 5, 2005, 01:16 PM
Do you take the head off a hammer before you put it away?

Brian Dale
May 5, 2005, 06:12 PM
MechAg94,I think most firemen avoid it.Not necessarily. Water's good for cooling things down, too.

444,If you have enough room in the safe for ammo, you don't have enough guns. There's another one for the "Quotes" file. :)

klover
May 5, 2005, 09:45 PM
If you have rounds chambered, the gun secured in some fashion to restrain it's recoil, then I would be sure the muzzle does not aim into a firefighter's path.

No kids here, very secure from entry, some loaded, all point toward safe bullet trajectories in the event of a fire.

At all times in carry and storage, I mind the muzzle direction.

38SnubFan
May 5, 2005, 09:54 PM
I subscribe to the "Guns are loaded, round chambered, on my person all the time" camp personally. I second that motion.

BUT: I'm a bachelor (well, girlfriend lives with me but also knows how to use them responsibly and reliably) and both guns are for home/personal defense.

If I'm out of town or otherwise not going to have a gun with me, it's either hidden in a safe place (where the GF can get it if she's home alone and something happens) or locked in the file cabinet in the desk.

If/when I have children (and/or more guns), then anything not carried ON MY PERSON will be in the safe, unloaded (with the ammo in the safe with it). The home defense will be in a lockable bed-side container, loaded, and quickly accesible (I personally like the "handprint" design) in an emergency.

-38SnubFan

Gifted
May 6, 2005, 02:01 AM
I'm with the split crowd. Most go in the safe, the few for defense are kept in the ready-access locks and safes you can find. Do a web search and you'll find several. The carry piece is on my blet of course. :neener:

Ammo and reloading supplies? Well, I thought to have a shed out back that I use for reloading and miscelaneous other semi-industrial purposes, I figure fire rated containers out there would work. Heck, I might put the guns out there.

I'm thinking I'll be gun-proofing my kids, rather then child-proofing my guns. :D

Feanaro
May 6, 2005, 02:09 AM
I put the ammo in the safe also so that the Fire Department will put the fire out if necessary and not retreat to a safe distance.

Ammo = explosives, basically. Ammo + heat + confined space... I'd be worried about something nasty. Ammo is pretty harmless without a constrictor, like a barrel. But an ammo can in a safe, for example...

Sir Aardvark
May 6, 2005, 02:47 AM
And if you're really paranoid about your ammo blowing up in a fire......

store your ammo in a big fireproof file-holder like Sentry makes, and then store that in your fireproof safe.

Pointman
May 6, 2005, 01:46 PM
Other things I store separately for safety....

gas / car

nails / hammer

screws / screwdriver

chocolate / peanut butter

OF
May 7, 2005, 09:48 AM
I store some of my ammo in my guns. Best place for it really... :)

- Gabe (no kids)

saltydog
May 7, 2005, 11:06 AM
Heck, I store about 1000lbs of ammo (etc.) in the same safe with some of my guns. I have never had a problem in 25yrs. If the bad guys decide to cut into my safe well I guess they can kiss there a$$'s goodbye. :D

azimuth
May 8, 2005, 12:35 AM
Mrs. Azimuth and I have one of those mini key pad safes bolted to the bed frame. We can be armed in less than 20 seconds from a deep sleep. Those weapons are chambered and loaded with dedicated lumination. Our plan is that one of us goes right to the kids room with the cell phone and weapon and waits positioned between the kids and the door. The other of us clears the house room by room radiating out from the bedrooms.

We've had to do it three times from a dead sleep. The first alarming noise was the cat. The second was a huge chunk of snow and ice falling from the roof to the deck. The third was our oldest sneaking in after coming home waaaaay too late.....he decided not to try to break in again :rolleyes:

We keep the ammo in the big safe (it's a really big safe) with all of the safe queens etc.

Mark8252
May 10, 2005, 12:21 AM
I have firearms locked in my gun safe. I have ammo locked in my ammo safe.
I also have my Colt 45 Combat Elite loaded and ready to go in my bedside table. Only one gun is ready to fire and its never moved or changed in anyway other than monthly practise at the range. Having this firearm....and only this firearm ready keeps me always on top of whats ready and whats not and where. No forgotten loaded guns laying around.
No one under 52 in my household. When children come to visit that loaded firearm is locked up still loaded. The slight delay of opening the safe is a reasonable safety precaution to protect the children to me. The odds of needing the firearm are not as great as the need to protect the children. Just has a 5 second delay is all.
Always know where your guns are. Always keep them out of reach of children.
Remember an unloaded gun is useless.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it bad to store guns and ammo together?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!