Run For the Border!

PDA

TaxPhd
May 4, 2005, 06:54 PM
OK Zundfolge, you asked, and here it is . . .

My Uncle Bob (name changed to protect involved party) taught me to shoot, starting when I was 8 years old. We spent lots of time over the years out in the deserts of Sourthen California, shooting every type of gun imaginable. To me, Bob was bigger than life - he had been everywhere and done everything.

When I was 18, IIRC, Bob needed to have some body work done on his car, an old Porsche 914 (remember those?). He had lived in San Diego most of his life and often traveled to Mexico. He knew of a good body shop in Tecate, so off he went. No weapons in the car, but he inadvertantly left a magazine for a 1911 and a single round of .45 acp in the glove box.

Driving through Tecate, he gets into an accident, and sustains a fairly serious concussion in the process. Police arrive on the scene, find the mag and ammo, promptly arrest him, and throw him into the local jail. Police Chief tells him he is charged under the same statute that covers "invasion by an armed foreign force."

Given his near delirium brought on his concussion, they leave the jail cell door open so that he can access the bathroom (no bathroom in the cell). Figured he wasn't a flight risk, given his condition.

The equivalent of a DA arrives, and Bob overhears a discussion between the DA and the Chief. Bob is to be transported to La Mesa Prison (for a description of La Mesa, see http://www.ifapray.org/OSL_Prayer/OSL-May_28_2003.htm ). Bob knew the reputation of La Mesa, and decided that there was no way he was going there.

The Tecate jail was having some construction work being done. There was an opening (I don't recall if part of a wall was down, or on open window, but it was possible to leave through the construction area and not have to go through the front door). Bob decided to take a break for it, got out through the construction area, and started running for the border.

Bob was in great shape, and very fast, but the concussion slowed him down quite a bit. He was about a block and a half away from the jail when his absence was discovered, and tecate's finest began a hasty pursuit. Bob got within a block of the border, and accidently turned down a blind alley. A 7 ft. tall fence at the end. He reached the fence, jumped, and was trying to pull himself up and over when the police told him to stop or be shot. :eek: Given his condition, he complied, and was returned to the jail.

Surprisingly he was allowed a phone call (after promises of a very large mordida to be paid by his friends). He placed a call to a Spanish speaking buddy who was able to round up several thousand dollars, and came to get him. The cash, his car, and a promise never to return bought him his freedom.

And he has cool "Harry Potter" scar across his forehead as a reminder of the adventure.

As I said in the other thread, Mexico takes its gun laws very seriously.

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Run For the Border!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jobu07
May 4, 2005, 06:57 PM
Thanks for satiating our needs for details on this one! Great story. :)

DontBurnMyFlag
May 4, 2005, 07:03 PM
:fire: mexico...

Alex45ACP
May 4, 2005, 07:06 PM
That's exactly where the USA is headed...

M2 Carbine
May 4, 2005, 07:28 PM
Your Uncle was lucky to get out of Mexico.

I know of a couple men, 4 years ago, that spent months in Mexican jails while the Mexicans bled the family for money.

One was a hispanic US Sheriff Deputy that was caught with a box of shells in his Jeep that he didn't know he had. The other was the brother of a friend that had crossed into Mexico and didn't know a hunting buddy had left a rifle in the truck.

The very first thing was the Mexican "lawyers" wanted thousands of dollars just to see that the Americans were put in a jail where the Mexican criminals wouldn't kill them.

The stories of the hell the Mexicans put them and their families through are too long to tell but if that country burned to the ground tomorrow, I wouldn't give them a glass of water.

If we treated Mexican illegals in the US the way Americans are treated by the Mexican authorities there would be a world outcry. :fire:

whm1974
May 4, 2005, 11:57 PM
If we treated Mexican illegals in the US the way Americans are treated by the Mexican authorities there would be a world outcry.

There would be a world outcry if we simply send them back.

-Bill

Standing Wolf
May 5, 2005, 01:11 AM
Any time I feel inclined to go to Mexico, I'll just go to Los Angeles instead.

secamp32
May 5, 2005, 02:55 PM
is to give the first "officers" on the scene $100 cash. I'll bet that will make alot of problems go away. :fire:

txgho1911
May 5, 2005, 03:56 PM
Keep your stash money in a different pocket or somewhere. Give the mexican cop the money you have in your wallet. 50-200 should do it easily. Retain the last 5-10 dollars visibly and tell them it is for the toll bridge.

If you enjoyed reading about "Run For the Border!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!