Historical question?

PDA

bobs1066
May 5, 2005, 01:13 PM
I vaguely recall reading somewhere that on 5 May 1862, there were Mexican troops fighting alongside the French at Puebla. Is that true? A quick google serach didn't reveal anything confirming that.
Inquiring mind wants to know.

If you enjoyed reading about "Historical question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rebar
May 5, 2005, 01:30 PM
Actually, there were fighting the French:
http://www.mexonline.com/cinco.htm

Sam
May 5, 2005, 01:30 PM
Actually they were fighting against the French. http://www.pbs.org/kpbs/theborder/history/timeline/10.html
The French were trying to install Maximillian of Austria as ruler. Think he was a nephew of Napolean

The battle was not particularly notable, at least so far as French military feats go it was pretty ordinary, the French got whipped, by an inferior force of what were in fact the militia. The forces sizes, France 6000 vs. Mexico 4500. See, anybody and everybody has whupped the French!

Not a particularly notable holiday in Mexico. Only really celebrated in the City/State of Puebla

Sam

bobs1066
May 5, 2005, 01:46 PM
To clarify, I thought I had read that there were some Mexican forces with the French. Colonials or some such thing. Most of the on-line accounts I read seemed to concentrate on puffing how great the victory was. As one would expect, the reported sizes of the armies and casuality numbers vary widely.

Rebar
May 5, 2005, 01:56 PM
I saw the History Channel show on this today.

Basically, the first battle the French were suffering from Yellow Fever and other "new world" diseases, plus a poor strategy. They got beat up pretty bad.

The next year though, they were better prepared, and beat the Mexicans. Some of the defeated soldiers, rather than be put into forced labor, joined up with the French.

If you enjoyed reading about "Historical question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!