White Oak`s SPR barrel?

PDA

Fatelvis
May 5, 2005, 05:59 PM
Im thinking about getting a Special Purpose Rifle barrel from http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/ put on my new post ban upper. Does anyone have one, and if so, how does it shoot? Do you use it in HP competition? I had a heavy barreled version before, but I felt the weight, and balance threw the whole "lightweight feel" of the AR off. I want to compete with it, but I also want it to remain light, for field use. Thanks Guys-

If you enjoyed reading about "White Oak`s SPR barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zak Smith
May 5, 2005, 06:02 PM
WOA produces great barrels, so I wouldn't worry about quality or accuracy.

The SPR profile is pretty heavy, but you can get the part under the handguard turned down if you want.

I do not believe the SPR length (18") is legal for HP.

Fatelvis
May 5, 2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks Zak. They say it is 41 ozs in weight, I just assumed it was close to a standard weight GI bbl. Turning down the center,that`s a great option, I never thought of that! I`ll be calling them soon, and see what they think. I guess you`d say Im looking to make a highly-accurate "GI style rifle", something thats shoots "ALMOST" as accurately as a full out match rifle, but feels like a standard battle rifle.

Quintin Likely
May 5, 2005, 07:45 PM
If it's from White Oak, there's no doubt that it'll be top flight. John wouldn't let it leave his hands if it wasn't. The 18" tube won't be legal as a service rifle, but it can be shot as a match rifle.

k47k
May 6, 2005, 10:08 PM
The SPR barrel is not Service Rifle Legal. You must keep the same external appearance as a standard A2. If you are interested in Service Rifle competition , look at White Oaks service rifle upper (or barrels). My service rifle is NOT light. if you are goign to shoot competition you do not want a light rifle. Also, if you are going to shoot competition, dont try to get a gun thats going to do double duty, (ie. field gun / competition gun).

Fatelvis
May 6, 2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your input K. I had a WOP Upper, with the heavy barrel, and Martin counterweight in the stock, etc., etc., but I guess Im really not interested in the highest possible score in competition. Im more interested in using competition as a form of "intense practice" for accuracy, and applying it to the field. I like the idea of one rifle for double duty, and am willing to accept the fact that I probably wont win many (if any) matches. But Ill have alot of fun! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "White Oak`s SPR barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!