How-to-take Down A Silo

PDA

duck_god827
May 6, 2005, 02:03 AM
New Member, To The Fourm What Rifle Would You Use To Shoot Down A Silo. This Is The Question That Was Asked To Me Today. By My Father-in-law, Sks, M1, Or The M-14. I Found This To Be A Intersing Question And Pondered It For A Moment And Said The M-14. Three Hours And Much Salvaging Later We Started Knocking It Down The Stone Walls With Slege Hammers. After About 15 To 20 Stones We Wre Compiled To Break Out The Rifles And Start The Shooting. We Put 18 Rounds Of 30-06, 20 Rounds Of .308, And 40 Rounds Of 7.62x39 Into The Stone Walls. On The Last Shoot Of 7.62x39 I Heard My Father-in-law Say Here She Comes And We Took Off Running. Here Are The Pics. This Was One Of The Coolest Things I've Seen. To Watch This Silo Fall And Crumble On Its Self Was Very Impressive.

If you enjoyed reading about "How-to-take Down A Silo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Who
May 6, 2005, 02:10 AM
Gee, only in Iowa can you have fun like that...

Did you have any problems with shoot throughs. I see the buildings in the background behind the silo. That and ricochets would concern me... :confused:

Did you need to get a permit to shoot game that big? :D

P95Carry
May 6, 2005, 02:24 AM
Welcome - looks cool in the extreme. I'd like to try that with a chimney!!

Outa interest - what's with all the cap's?? Paragraphs too are our friends!! :p :)

Alex45ACP
May 6, 2005, 02:25 AM
That's awesome :cool:

thorn726
May 6, 2005, 02:25 AM
WOW! you guys, man that must have been some fun!

i have to say though- WHERE IS THE VIDEO!!

i wish you had the falling on vid for us, but thanks, that is too cool.

jlwatts3
May 6, 2005, 02:27 AM
Nice way to start your THR career. :D Welcome, and please continue to do cool stuff :evil:

Myself
May 6, 2005, 02:31 AM
Very cool.

Welcome to THR.

CleverName
May 6, 2005, 02:34 AM
A 105mm gun, that's what. Big explody-ish holes beat not so big, non-explody holes any day.

But just randomly guessing, it seems like this is one instance where the size of the hole is almost as crucial as placement.

Gifted
May 6, 2005, 02:38 AM
.50. Give me a .50. A bit expensive though.

Harry Paget Flashman
May 6, 2005, 08:22 AM
Next time sell tickets. This could be a real money maker.

TheDutchman
May 6, 2005, 08:26 AM
Cool

mfree
May 6, 2005, 09:10 AM
I have a feeling that some hotter 45-70 would work wonders :)

GreenFurniture
May 6, 2005, 09:13 AM
... or a 450 Marlin.

DigMe
May 6, 2005, 10:12 AM
Good think she was wearing camo, otherwise the silo mighta spotted her and run off. :neener:

brad cook

chevrofreak
May 6, 2005, 10:22 AM
Am I the only one concerned that theres a house right there?

Freedomv
May 6, 2005, 10:55 AM
To everyone concerned about buildings, ricochets and general saftey.

The buildings behind the silo are cattle barns that were unoccupied.

I took care to have the shooting done at or as near as possible to a 90 degree angle to the silo's tiles/brick with the back wall of the silo to stop any rounds that might pierce the first tile/brick thus illiminating most all glancing shots and stopping thru and thru shots.
However there was/is considerable displacement of cement chips etc. that care must be taken to remain at least 60-70 feet away from point of impact. Even then wereing saftey glasses are a must as they should be in any and all shooting activites.

There is and always will be some risk involved in any adventure/buisness. The trick is to plan for and remove or minimize any and all risk that may happen.

trickyasafox
May 6, 2005, 11:20 AM
probably one of the coolest things i've seen in a while

*looks for abandoned silo* :scrutiny:

dev_null
May 6, 2005, 12:33 PM
Wimp. Shoulda bayonetted it to death! :neener:

Rockrivr1
May 6, 2005, 12:48 PM
"I Heard My Father-in-law Say Here She Comes And We Took Off Running"

Running???? :what:

Come on! With those rifles you should of gone all out and dug fox holes and pretended the silo was the headquarters of the evil hordes. When it started to come down, you could just DUCK!! ;)

The_Antibubba
May 6, 2005, 01:23 PM
...but I've never heard of bringing one to the grange! :neener:

Welcome to the High Road!

Sergeant Sabre
May 6, 2005, 02:00 PM
Do you have a tag for that?

jefnvk
May 6, 2005, 02:24 PM
That is SWEET!

How much did you actually knock out with rifles? It seems to me that it would take a lot more rounds than that to take down a silo, unless you had already taken down some with the sledgehammers.

rust collector
May 6, 2005, 02:33 PM
Gee, looks like fun. Grain dust and source of ignition is also pretty good at bin destruction. Of course, if you wanted it to explode, it probably wouldn't...

Welcome to the monkey house.

Stickjockey
May 6, 2005, 09:41 PM
Wait a minute-

That's one of those Yugoslavian SKS's with the launcher on the muzzle, and y'all found some grenades for it, didn't ya?

"It's an eeeeeeevilllllll assault rifle that can take down [i]entire buildings[/]!!! We must ban them now, for the chilllllldrennnnnnn!!!"

:evil:

kudu
May 6, 2005, 09:49 PM
:scrutiny: Hmmm, we just tore down an old barn, and it just happens to have an old concrete silo still standing there. :scrutiny:

This has got me thinking. Should I break out the .375 Weatherby with dangerous game solids or get the .45-70 out and use the 500 grain soft points.

I'd better think about this for a while. :D

Texian Pistolero
May 6, 2005, 09:51 PM
Just have a liquid tap at the bottom of the silo,

just so you can sip them home brewed corn squeezin's,

know what I mean?

P95Carry
May 6, 2005, 09:52 PM
This has got me thinking. Should I break out the .375 Weatherby with dangerous game solids or get the .45-70 out and use the 500 grain soft points. Both Steve - both!! :evil: :D

Go fetch another shooting buddy - and get both into action! :p

MikeIsaj
May 7, 2005, 10:57 AM
"On The Last Shoot Of 7.62x39 I Heard My Father-in-law Say Here She Comes And We Took Off Running"

What is the range of your rifle? What is the height of the silo?

Running should not have been necessary.

Berg
May 7, 2005, 11:20 AM
So you are posting here under 2 names? Duck God and FreedomV? :neener:

I want to see the video of this....

Freedomv
May 7, 2005, 12:16 PM
I'm the father in law. (freedomv)

We had a board fence to or backs that prevented us from being further away from where the silo dropped.

In the interest of confining our shots to certain areas and angles to prevent mishaps etc it was necessary to position oneself at a place that we would be in harms way if something did not go according to plan. Hence "Exit stage right."

Speaking of things going as planned, the farm wife said: " It dropped right where you said it would." Although I actually was trying to drop it about 5 degrees from where it ended up. But that is close enough.

Incidentally this would be number 7 or 8 that I have taken down and haven't had any real or unforseen problems doing them. Allthough I took one down that actually had a barn built right up to and connected to it at the roof line. I was sweating that one a little bit. But if you do your home work it really is not much of a problem.

Vern

280PLUS
May 7, 2005, 02:27 PM
:cuss:

NEXT TIME CALL ME BEFORE YOU DO THIS!! I WANT A SHOT TOO!!

:D

thorn726
May 7, 2005, 06:22 PM
oh i cant believe you guys did this more than once and still no video of the fall.
well, i am jealous and a half of the fun you all must have had.

if you do it again, i beg you - VIDEO !!!

If you enjoyed reading about "How-to-take Down A Silo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!